The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
super_dave_1

Coach Mo gone, confirmed by Mike Maniscalco and Chip Alexander| Coaching and how to fix it discussion

I originally had "(rainbow and lollipop free zone)" in the title. I changed it at TSA's request and I think that is what DJ was referring to. I'm sure you had that figured out, but I'm just trying to make sure everyone feels wanted. ;)

I understand. It's a touchy subject by it's very nature.

NOT ONLY IS ALL THIS "OFFENDING/OFFENDED" CRAP ruining our country its ruining our boards!!(lol) Why can't we have our opinions and you don't like it, get 1 of the free PUFFS PLUS and go to your whinning room and cry or whine or throw a temper tantrum. I don't care if someone doesn't like my opinion, why should I not get offended by some who get offended because of something I say,To tell you the truth I really don't think I can be offended, I don't even understand what being offended is. So is this thread about being offended or is it about "Mo MUST Go" or should I say "Umm Please Mr.Maurice could you please leave, because it would be so much better for the team"

Thank you Mr Maurice and I hope you have a wonderful day and the rest of your life is full of Rainbows and Lollipops!

xoxoxoxo

DJ

Mo is a <.500 coach and always will be. You get what you pay for.

He will transition to the GM position when Jimmy retires, but that is now still several years away. I suspect Mo will get 2-3 years as assistant GM first though....and Daniels or Lewis will coach the Canes.

Mo is a <.500 coach and always will be. You get what you pay for.

He will transition to the GM position when Jimmy retires, but that is now still several years away. I suspect Mo will get 2-3 years as assistant GM first though....and Daniels or Lewis will coach the Canes.

You really think he's going to end up the GM? What about Francis, where does he fit in?

I like Daniels but someone made a good point that he could be more of the same 'good ole' boys' guy. Lewis is interesting but hasn't had much luck being head coach that I can remember. His stint in St Louis didn't go well and in Boston he wasn't even a speed bump on the way to Julien.

You really think he's going to end up the GM? What about Francis, where does he fit in?

I like Daniels but someone made a good point that he could be more of the same 'good ole' boys' guy. Lewis is interesting but hasn't had much luck being head coach that I can remember. His stint in St Louis didn't go well and in Boston he wasn't even a speed bump on the way to Julien.

I really do think Mo ends up as the GM eventually. Apparently Karmanos and Rutherford intend to keep him around for life. I don't know if it's guilt over the eye injury, simple friendly loyalty or a mix of all of it including the guilt of getting a cup without his services. But I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Maurice groomed for the GM job. He's not going to be fired again. I don't think that will EVER happen. When he's replaced as coach, there will be a "promotion" involved. They won't ship him off to scout in Siberia. Francis....he's a lifer too, in some casual job that doesn't involve any spotlight.

As for Daniels being Mo 1.2 I agree. I'd prefer the Canes hire a fresh new coach from outside the current family. But I would bet a month's pay that will never happen. The ONLY hope of that was taken off the table this summer when Florida hired Dineen. Who has the Panthers looking like a SE contender early on.

Mo will end up in management, but I think Francis will ultimately end up as GM. Mo will be assistant GM, head of pro scouting, or something along those lines.

I mentioned the Daniels thing earlier, and have several times. Like Kahuna I was also hoping for Dineen. Anyone from "outside".

Lewis is interesting. He had 2 40+ win seasons with Detroit (not St. Louis) after Bowman retired, including a Presidents Cup. .604 points percentage...quite a bit better than Mo. But I don't see him as a head coaching candidate except on an interim level.

Mo will end up in management

I really hope not. I think he has something on him that can't be washed off with lye soap and a wire brush.

Maybe this organization needs a little new blood every now and then.

You're kidding, right?

Surely you have been around hockey long enough to know that they are not listing his win%.

Sorry Whaler, didn't see this until today.

The answer is yes, I know. The casual fan sees this as winning percentage. I see this as spin control. But you know something, I don't get to see how every franchise reports their coaches record on their local broadcasts, so I'll acknowledge that I could be unfair in my criticism. If it is the standard, I stand corrected.

Changing the subject slightly...

I still stand by my double standard comment about Mo VS Lavi. When you place a Mo point percentage of .503 up there, it doesn't look too bad, but let's look at the numbers of the guy we fired, in points percentage, for a fair comparison...

Laviolette Canes Record:

Overall 167-122-6-28 .570

07-08 43-33-0-6 .561

08-09 12-11-0-2 .520

I picked those 2 seasons specifically since it has been said that those 2 seasons were the reason for his firing. And yet, even with a totally injury ridden team, the record was right on par or better than the typical Maurice year.

So Maurice posts a 40-31-0-11 for a .555 last season, misses the playoffs, why is it not the same as the 07-08 season? If after 25 games, we see a team at .520, will we see the same behavior?

Lav missed the playoffs the 2 seasons after we won the cup. His 3rd, after 25 games, he was fired. (A travesty, IMHO)

Mo missed the playoffs the 2 seasons after we made it to the ECF. In his 3rd, after 25 games, if we are still hovering at or below .520, will we see the same treatment?

Call me a guy gunning for Mo if you want, but MY COACH IS GONE. If the guy that brought us to the promised land can be discarded in such a way, is it too much to ask that the same standards be applied for this guy?

Wow I hope Mo doesn't end up as GM. That spells disaster in every way imaginable. Just by the way he juggles his lines I'm not sure he has a clue as to how to judge or where to place talent.

On the winning percentage thing, I've never understood how the NHL displays that. They basically take the W's and L's and throw out the OTLs. Why? IT'S STILL A LOSS!!!

I agree that Lavi was given the shaft here, but if I remember correctly, it was less about the record and more about the politics of it. Not sure if Lavi was looking for more input or what, but something pissed off JR and PK and the record was used as an excuse. It's also possible that Lavi lost that locker room, but the record doesn't support that, frankly.

Finally, I will say this about "mediocre" talent. Look at the Pittsburgh Penguins for a hockey example. Look at this year's San Francisco 49ers for another sports example. What Dan Bylsma is doing in Pittsburgh is absolutely unbelievable. The guy goes a half season without Malkin, Crosby or Staal and gets the 4th seed. This year he's already seen no Crosby, Malkin sidelined, then injuries to Tyler Kennedy, Brooks Orpik and Fleury and guess what? On top of their division early, with a heck of a Canada road trip to get the season going.

The point is: Bylsma knows how to motivate the guys on his bench, be they superstars or average Joe's, to play hard and win hockey games.

Look at Jim Harbaugh. He essentially has the same 49ers team that failed miserably last year. Pretty much a lost offseason as well. No OTAs, no two-a-day practices, new offense, etc. etc. etc. And the 9ers are 5-1. That's a guy who can motivate.

So I'm sick of hearing about how Mo can only do so much with what he has. There is talent on this team, deep talent. Staal and Skinner are legit All-Stars, Ward is an All-World goalie. He's got a young team that can skate with speed. There's NO REASON... NONE... that this team can't be motivated to be competitive for a Cup. Instead, we're hanging around the bubble every year. I lay that at the coach's feet. He's the guy that has to get these guys fired up to win every game and frankly we should be in every game.

Mo thinks LaRose is a first liner, so no, I do not want to see him as GM.

Bum Phillips once said about Bear Bryant, "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n." Somehow, I don't think Bum would have said that about Mo. I think the thing with Mo is "He can take his'n and finish 9th and your'n and finish 9th".

NOT ONLY IS ALL THIS "OFFENDING/OFFENDED" CRAP ruining our country its ruining our boards!!

Walt Kowalski? Is that you?

I agree, DJ, PC and over sensitivity is making the country and the world too soft. We need a few less Alexander Semins and a few more Tim Gleasons.

I am in agreement with those who see Francis as the future GM and Mo in a pro scouting position. Maurice does see potential in players that others do not (Harrison, Brent, maybe Tlusty).

I gotta say that I am proud of Mo - he did a great job with the team in that last Bruins game. Sound coaching on the bench (and I assume the locker room) kept the Canes from taking the bait from all those Boston thugs. We LET them beat themselves. That was leadership by the coach and captains, IMO.

Mo thinks LaRose is a first liner, so no, I do not want to see him as GM.

Bum Phillips once said about Bear Bryant, "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n." Somehow, I don't think Bum would have said that about Mo. I think the thing with Mo is "He can take his'n and finish 9th and your'n and finish 9th".

:applause:

Mo finally realized that Ruutu and Staal have never worked on a line together and made a switch to put Ruutu back with Skinner and Jokinen. That worked last year for the last half of the season so it shouldn't be a surprise that it would work again.

What Mo didn't finally realize is that LaRose doesn't belong with Staal and Poni. Keep pounding that square peg into the round hole. It will eventually fit.

Find another body to stick on the first line. Dalpe, Boychuk, Tlusty, Stewart, Big Mike, Dancing Granny, Ricky the hot dog vendor, anybody not named LaRose. IT DOESN"T WORK.

disclaimer: This is not anti-LaRose. It is anti-LaRose being used in the top 6.

Edited by super_dave_1

Mo finally realized that Ruutu and Staal have never worked on a line together and made a switch to put Ruutu back with Skinner and Jokinen. That worked last year for the last half of the season so it shouldn't be a surprise that it would work again.

What Mo didn't finally realize is that LaRose doesn't belong with Staal and Poni. Keep pounding that square peg into the round hole. It will eventually fit.

Find another body to stick on the first line. Dalpe, Boychuk, Tlusty, Stewart, Big Mike, Dancing Granny, Ricky the hot dog vendor, anybody not named LaRose. IT DOESN"T WORK.

disclaimer: This is not anti-LaRose. It is anti-LaRose being used in the top 6.

This. Oh so blatantly this. But we're talking Mo here.

and we are still discussing how Staal needs a top winger...after 4-5 years of looking for the perfect winger to play with Staal maybe that person doesn't exist-maybe we should let Staal be the wing and look for a center...Has anyone we have tried there "complimented" him? Maybe MO is grasping at straws heck he has tried just about everyone in that spot-which by the way is not Skinner or Rutuu either and Poni well the jury is still out on that I guess-Mo has not kept them together long enough to even develope chemystry-and the search continues...Oh and as a side note Staal sucks at FO's since he is our top line center we can only hope practice makes at least better if not perfect=LETS GO CANES

Edited by Pkling40

and we are still discussing how Staal needs a top winger...after 4-5 years of looking for the perfect winger to play with Staal maybe that person doesn't exist-maybe we should let Staal be the wing and look for a center...Has anyone we have tried there "complimented" him? Maybe MO is grasping at straws heck he has tried just about everyone in that spot-which by the way is not Skinner or Rutuu either and Poni well the jury is still out on that I guess-Mo has not kept them together long enough to even develope chemystry-and the search continues...Oh and as a side note Staal sucks at FO's since he is our top line center we can only hope practice makes at least better if not perfect=LETS GO CANES

The idea of Staal as a winger has been tried (pre-olympics) and discussed, but it is not a bad idea if we could find a first line center, and last year we fantasized about a couple, Staal could be moved to wing. Staal is a deceptively good playmaker, but he can still do that from wing. The other things that centers are supposed to do, win faceoffs and get back on defense...not Staal's strong points. Of course Staal is the star so he'd have to agree to it. Further we are already short a second line center, so that could be an issue, but still, it is not a bad idea, and certainly not if the right center became available.

The idea of Staal as a winger has been tried (pre-olympics) and discussed, but it is not a bad idea if we could find a first line center, and last year we fantasized about a couple, Staal could be moved to wing. Staal is a deceptively good playmaker, but he can still do that from wing. The other things that centers are supposed to do, win faceoffs and get back on defense...not Staal's strong points. Of course Staal is the star so he'd have to agree to it. Further we are already short a second line center, so that could be an issue, but still, it is not a bad idea, and certainly not if the right center became available.

Someone....say like....Brandon Sutter?

Someone....say like....Brandon Sutter?

It's worth a try. Brandon has far more business up there than Chad does. If Dalpe were healthy, it would be interesting to let Dalpe center the third line and try Sutter on the first with Staal and Poni? or Jussi on the wings.

I like Sutter a lot, though I haven't really pictured his offensive skills as first line elite. Hasn't shown that high level playmaking and set offense finish IMHO, but he has done everything else.

And he has done one thing Staal never will, and that is dramatically improved his face-offs and there is no question he has the defensive responsibility down.

It sure would be a shake up.

Still, at the end of the day, we might still be just moving the food around the plate. With Ruutu not quite on his A game, and Staal not on his A game, we really need one more skilled horse up front in addition to all the nice complementary players we have.

But since few trades seem to happen this time of year, I expect we'll keep plugging with what we have. I think Mo has Sutter cemented in as a checking center, and cannot imagine him both elevating Sutter and convincing Staal to play wing. (No olympics coming up this year).

That said, it would be an interesting shake up, and I would not mind seeing it for a couple of games.

Edited by remkin

It's worth a try. Brandon has far more business up there than Chad does. If Dalpe were healthy, it would be interesting to let Dalpe center the third line and try Sutter on the first with Staal and Poni? or Jussi on the wings.

I like Sutter a lot, though I haven't really pictured his offensive skills as first line elite. Hasn't shown that high level playmaking and set offense finish IMHO, but he has done everything else.

And he has done one thing Staal never will, and that is dramatically improved his face-offs and there is no question he has the defensive responsibility down.

It sure would be a shake up.

Still, at the end of the day, we might still be just moving the food around the plate. With Ruutu not quite on his A game, and Staal not on his A game, we really need one more skilled horse up front in addition to all the nice complementary players we have.

But since few trades seem to happen this time of year, I expect we'll keep plugging with what we have. I think Mo has Sutter cemented in as a checking center, and cannot imagine him both elevating Sutter and convincing Staal to play wing. (No olympics coming up this year).

That said, it would be an interesting shake up, and I would not mind seeing it for a couple of games.

I hope Mo is reading all this stuff so he will know what a "new idea" looks like.

Jussi has to stay on the wing, he gets most of his goals at side of net, there have been memorable ones.. the wife and i are going down, and i want to see a competative team, like that 3 game winning streak.. ,its simple yet complicated, we need to compliment staal, but that salary thing.. i hope way deep down, JR doesnt think being close [9th] at the end is good enough.. it isnt for me and i know all of u.. i still see laziness from staal on some plays, hes only avg 20 or so minutes.. so lets wake up eric! prove me wrong, and get a hat trick tues.. i said it already, i think november, may decide our fate, i hope in a positive way..Play 60 minutes, and i think this team can be a playoff team... the travel stuff etc, i dont buy.. what if i blamed my job on travel and didnt want to drive anywhere, i would be yes, FIRED.. Now for mo, i got a headache.. Let me wait another few weeks, and see where we stand.. if they flounder in november, and a move isnt made on ice [via trade] or on bench, im going to be ticked..sutter and skinner have been best players [all around] but move brandon up, who centers checking line??

Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but the crap Mo does day to day is what is making me crazy. Like, for instance, you're playing back to backs. One against a Western Conference team (St Louis) where points aren't AS important and you start Ward. Then, you go with your good but shakier backup for a divisional game against Winnipeg where points and momentum are crucial????? Oh my.....that, combined with the rest of the thread mentions are why the Canes should be shopping. I REALLY like Mo, but the organization either isn't supporting him adequately through acquistions, or he's just an "average" coach. Neither is a good thing.

In all seriousness, is Mo the guy to take on a rebuild with younger players? He really doesn't seem to trust them or at least be willing to give them a chance to show what they can do. He couldn't really mess up with Skinner. He has some kind of comfort level with a player like LaRose and would rather continue to mis-use him rather than to try something different. During training camp, we heard how there would be some extra players carried and that there would be some competition for playing time. So far, it looks remarkably like the last 2 seasons.

For the first time in years, we have several young players that are ready or close to ready for the NHL. We only have one fourth line for Mo to bury them on.