The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
super_dave_1

Coach Mo gone, confirmed by Mike Maniscalco and Chip Alexander| Coaching and how to fix it discussion

In all seriousness, is Mo the guy to take on a rebuild with younger players? He really doesn't seem to trust them or at least be willing to give them a chance to show what they can do. He couldn't really mess up with Skinner. He has some kind of comfort level with a player like LaRose and would rather continue to mis-use him rather than to try something different. During training camp, we heard how there would be some extra players carried and that there would be some competition for playing time. So far, it looks remarkably like the last 2 seasons.

For the first time in years, we have several young players that are ready or close to ready for the NHL. We only have one fourth line for Mo to bury them on.

This why I never understood the Boychuk bashing before the season. It's frustrating because the fans aren't the only ones calling him (Mo) out now.

well its 9 games in, think a little more time is needed, like the next weeks, and the teams that come in:)

well its 9 games in, think a little more time is needed, like the next weeks, and the teams that come in:)

Right. Don't throw in the towel yet. But have it handy.

Paul Maurice needs to go. That's it. He has to be on drugs the way he is making our lines as there is no chemistry among them and our offensive numbers are pitiful aside from skinner and pitkanen. He is putting Chad LaRose on the 1st and 2nd line consistantly day in and day out...Chad LaRose!!!!! Can you get any dumber? Mine as well start Boucher in front of Ward every game...and he wonders why we can't play solid offensively consistantly. Now don't get me wrong, I love Rosey and love the energy he brings, but he isnt even close to a top 6 guy...he is a 4th liner. A 3rd liner at best! Paul Maurice is managing our prospects awfully as well. With Zac Dalpe, Zach Boychuk, Drayson Bowman, Justin Faulk, and even Brett Sutter or Riley Nash, why would you continue to not play them???? Zac Dalpe is injured but even when he was healthy, we put him on the 4th line....Are you drunk Maurice???? Dalpe is easily a top 6 guy and potential superstar. Wasn't only this past offseason when all talk was on him and how he would contribute??? Yeah, tough to do when your playing 5 minutes a night...We finally call up Boychuk and guess what!? 4th line...5 minutes a night...He was our 15th pick 4 years ago and whether you agree with me or not, he needs to play in the top 6 as well. Many people have criticized his play over the years, but he hasn't had any chance to prove himself!!! Having 3 or 4 games on Staal's line does nothing...You have to give these guys a chance and if that means risking our postseason spot then so be it..We need to develop these guys as we have many up and comers. Bowman is a top 9 guy and Faulk is a future top 4 defenseman..Our free agent signings were stupid as well. We didn't need to bring back Chad LaRose and signing Alexei Ponikarovsky was a waste. I do like signing Brent and even Stewart, but those two were all that were needed. Tomas Kaberle is also a bust...3 years at 3-4 million and he is 38 years old???? 3-4 million can easily get you a consistant 1st-2nd line winger that could play with staal but you decide to get another joni pitkanen only downgraded...It's awful. We should have at least Dalpe, Boychuk, and Bowman in our top 9 right now and developing. Paul Maurice is once again blowing it and JR and Karmanos need to see that. You want some good lines??? How about this:

Boychuk-Staal-Sutter

Skinner-Ruutu-Jokinen

Tlusty-Brent-Stewart

Poni-Dwyer-LaRose

and do not criticize me putting Brandon Sutter on the 1st line. This kid is the real deal and in my opinion could easily get 30 goals-70 points. He is a natural center so you could put him centering staal and boychuk on the 1st line. He can skate with staal and set him up. We need to play sutter higher than our 3rd line and not leave him there just because we want a good defensive line. Stewart is another guy who can skate and produce if we give him a chance. Let me know what you all think, but I have had enough with Maurice. It's time for change.

This article at the Canes site after the Ottawa loss tells you why Mo must go.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=597584&navid=DL|CAR|home

Mo essentially claims the Sens changed their style of play after the 1st period by clogging center ice, yet made no counter adjustment. It wasn't until reviewing game tape with the Video coach the next day that it became evident to him. Where is the leadership or on-ice feedback when shifts are completed?

Elsewhere in the article you see his blindness to Sutter as primarily a defensive player. Well Mo, you put him in that role and never allowed him to blossom as the 2nd line after he scored 21 goals in 09-10 in only 72 games. The other nonsense with the first line shuffle of wingers is just icing on an overdone cake.

I like Mo. He's a hockey guy all his life and lives for this, engages the audience, and enjoys the role. He was the inexpensive stop-gap while Lavi was still being paid. Unfortunately after more than 1000 games it should be evident to PK/JR that a change is needed.

I see plenty of young talent, but much of it untapped or throttled back by choice of lines, player roles and a dump/chase style. If we're building for a year or two from now, then put in place a coach capable of delivering a Championship.

@EJHradek_NHLEJ Hradek

should be! RT @Enrico056: Ken Hitchcock is an incredibly brilliant hockey man. I'm surprised he's not behind the bench somewhere in the #NHL

Man is Mo doomed to be at .500 for the rest of his life! I'm sure he's bout sick of .500 too. I like him, I think he's a very good coach. He's never really been given a "Great Team". He's always got an average team with potential to be very good. I'm not against trying a new coach if we're not above .500 in December but i'm not convinced anyone else could do any better. We got a good team, we just need our captain to be our best player. Where the heck has he been?

Paul Maurice needs to go. That's it. He has to be on drugs the way he is making our lines as there is no chemistry among them and our offensive numbers are pitiful aside from skinner and pitkanen. He is putting Chad LaRose on the 1st and 2nd line consistantly day in and day out...Chad LaRose!!!!! Can you get any dumber? Mine as well start Boucher in front of Ward every game...and he wonders why we can't play solid offensively consistantly. Now don't get me wrong, I love Rosey and love the energy he brings, but he isnt even close to a top 6 guy...he is a 4th liner. A 3rd liner at best! Paul Maurice is managing our prospects awfully as well. With Zac Dalpe, Zach Boychuk, Drayson Bowman, Justin Faulk, and even Brett Sutter or Riley Nash, why would you continue to not play them???? Zac Dalpe is injured but even when he was healthy, we put him on the 4th line....Are you drunk Maurice???? Dalpe is easily a top 6 guy and potential superstar. Wasn't only this past offseason when all talk was on him and how he would contribute??? Yeah, tough to do when your playing 5 minutes a night...We finally call up Boychuk and guess what!? 4th line...5 minutes a night...He was our 15th pick 4 years ago and whether you agree with me or not, he needs to play in the top 6 as well. Many people have criticized his play over the years, but he hasn't had any chance to prove himself!!! Having 3 or 4 games on Staal's line does nothing...You have to give these guys a chance and if that means risking our postseason spot then so be it..We need to develop these guys as we have many up and comers. Bowman is a top 9 guy and Faulk is a future top 4 defenseman..Our free agent signings were stupid as well. We didn't need to bring back Chad LaRose and signing Alexei Ponikarovsky was a waste. I do like signing Brent and even Stewart, but those two were all that were needed. Tomas Kaberle is also a bust...3 years at 3-4 million and he is 38 years old???? 3-4 million can easily get you a consistant 1st-2nd line winger that could play with staal but you decide to get another joni pitkanen only downgraded...It's awful. We should have at least Dalpe, Boychuk, and Bowman in our top 9 right now and developing. Paul Maurice is once again blowing it and JR and Karmanos need to see that. You want some good lines??? How about this:

Boychuk-Staal-Sutter

Skinner-Ruutu-Jokinen

Tlusty-Brent-Stewart

Poni-Dwyer-LaRose

and do not criticize me putting Brandon Sutter on the 1st line. This kid is the real deal and in my opinion could easily get 30 goals-70 points. He is a natural center so you could put him centering staal and boychuk on the 1st line. He can skate with staal and set him up. We need to play sutter higher than our 3rd line and not leave him there just because we want a good defensive line. Stewart is another guy who can skate and produce if we give him a chance. Let me know what you all think, but I have had enough with Maurice. It's time for change.

Totally agree with everything here. I like your lines, and I agree with what Manwolf is saying as well. Paul Maurice is just not good. Here's another example. Back to backs with St louis (I think, or blue jackets) and Winnipeg. If you don't want Ward to be playing back to backs why not start boucher for the western conference team and Ward with winnipeg who is in our division? The match that matters even more. Where is the logic? This same thing that happened these past two games. Don't even get me started on the idiotic decisions Maurice consistently makes with Larose and our underused and underdeveloped youth!

Maurice is a huge problem for the team, but so is Staal. Where is he? Why is he allowed, even when at his best, to completely check out for 3 games at a time? He is over paid and not nearly as good as is thought. Sure i'll admit when he's at his best and he has one of those once every three game games he is great. But that's NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

WE're spending all this time trying to find complements for him on his line, At what point do you conclude that those people MAY NOT EXIST? Yes he played good with Cole. But perhaps that's just how great Cole is?? That he can bring out that kind of player in Eric Staal. Has anyone else ever done it? Perhaps Staal's lagging is not because of those who around him but because of himself! If Eric Staal can only play elite hockey with 1 other person who is in the national hockey league is the problem the rest of the players or eric staal himself? I'd say eric! I'm just saying how many differnet people have we tried on his line, at some point you have to conclude that almost no matter who you put on his line he is going to still be stinking it up. This is not what you need from a captain. What happened when Jussi was in Eric's place?

Boychuk-Staal-Sutter

Skinner-Ruutu-Jokinen

Tlusty-Brent-Stewart

Poni-Dwyer-LaRose

You are changing peoples positions. Sutter is a center and Ruutu is a winger. you would like to play all of our prospects? who are you gonna bench to make room for all of them. None of them have proved they are superstars, they've all had stints here and produced no more than a couple goals. Tlusty deserves to be here and Boychuck and Dalpe can fight it out for the next spot, I watched every game last year and this year and Dalpe has yet to impress me, hope he does though. The other guys will have to earn their spot on the team.

Maurice sizes up month of October - By Chip Alexander

"We had seven on the road and four at home, with some pretty stiff competition. We do have to build on it because playing .500 hockey is not getting it done, but I think we're in good position to do that."

I read the article. More Chatty Cathy doll sayings from Mo.

Pull string..."I think our compete level overall has been there"

Pull string..."I think we are in the right place"

Don't shoot the messenger. I only posted the link.

I agree that there is lots of the same ole, same ole but at least he is saying 500 isn't good enough.

Don't shoot the messenger. I only posted the link.

I agree that there is lots of the same ole, same ole but at least he is saying 500 isn't good enough.

Maybe he realizes he needs to go.

I'm not shooting the messenger. It's just that it's more of the same. After one of the losses this year he actually said “We need to score more goals, and we need to keep more goals out of our net". That is pretty deep thinking.

Just curious, and I'm not trying pick on you but since you used Maurice's quotes in your post, I'm wondering if there's anything that Maurice could say to the media that would make you (or anyone else for that matter) less annoyed.

OBXer, we forgot to tell you that we're now providing bullet proof vests for all staff members to keep them out of harms way :lol:

transparentlogo.gif

Just curious, and I'm not trying pick on you but since you used Maurice's quotes in your post, I'm wondering if there's anything that Maurice could say to the media that would make you (or anyone else for that matter) less annoyed.

Sure, "I quit".

That was too easy.

Look, I don't know if a coaching change will make a difference, but it seems like .500 hockey has become acceptable (and .500 doesn't really mean you win half your games). Never trade hope for mediocrity.

Edited by super_dave_1

Sure, "I quit".

That was too easy.

Since that's about as likely to happen as Gary Bettman doing the same, what is it you'd like him to say in his interviews? Like it or not, he is the coach and will be answering questions from the media.

Look, I don't know if a coaching change will make a difference, but it seems like .500 hockey has become acceptable (and .500 doesn't really mean you win half your games). Never trade hope for mediocrity.

He said that .500 wasn't good enough, where is the word acceptable in that statement?

Since that's about as likely to happen as Gary Bettman doing the same, what is it you'd like him to say in his interviews?

Why you are asking ME this, I have no clue.

Maybe after last night...

"The defense sucked and I should have called a timeout after we allowed the shortie to settle the boys down a bit. I thought the first two periods were okay, but we were gassed and after a couple of goals, we gave up. Seeing that the game was decided with Philly's fifth goal at 12:17 of the third, I should have put Boychuk on Staal's line to see what might have happened. I don't know if it would have worked, but it would have shut up that moron, superdave, on the message board".

Edited by super_dave_1

Why you are asking ME this, I have no clue.

Maybe after last night...

"The defense sucked and I should have called a timeout after we allowed the shortie to settle the boys down a bit. I thought the first two periods were okay, but we were gassed and after a couple of goals, we gave up. Seeing that the game was decided with Philly's fifth goal at 12:17 of the third, I should have put Boychuk on Staal's line to see what might have happened. I don't know if it would have worked, but it would have shut up that moron, superdave, on the message board".

I'm asking you because you seem annoyed what Maurice says to the media.:

I read the article. More Chatty Cathy doll sayings from Mo.

Pull string..."I think our compete level overall has been there"

Pull string..."I think we are in the right place"

So you're looking for a personal apology? Just a joke....not a personal attack ;)

What coach in any pro sport has ever personally justified each individual play or coaching decision to the fans in a media interview? I would assume he'd have to answer to his bosses like with any other job but in pro sports, I've never heard the fans get anything but coach speak. Doesn't mean I don't agree with some of what you posted, but I'm really curious as to what Maurice could say in an interview that wouldn't annoy you or anyone else that's convinced he's the root of all the Canes problems.

I'm asking you because you seem annoyed what Maurice says to the media.:

So you're looking for a personal apology? Just a joke....not a personal attack ;)

What coach in any pro sport has ever personally justified each individual play or coaching decision to the fans in a media interview? I would assume he'd have to answer to his bosses like with any other job but in pro sports, I've never heard the fans get anything but coach speak. Doesn't mean I don't agree with some of what you posted, but I'm really curious as to what Maurice could say in an interview that wouldn't annoy you or anyone else that's convinced he's the root of all the Canes problems.

Personal attack is what it seems to be and I never said that Mo was the root of all Canes evils. JR has a bit of the blame to take too.

i too am annoyed by what Maurice says to the media but i think it's just from the fact that he annoys me in general. he's just not a very bright hockey coach. i don't think that there is too much he could say that i would like more.

Personal attack is what it seems to be and I never said that Mo was the root of all Canes evils. JR has a bit of the blame to take too.

No personal attack intended, hence my comment that it was just a joke with the ;)

Lets try it this way....

If you agree that JR shoulders some of the blame, then we're not that far off in our opinions. Didn't a lot of the same issues happen during Lavi's tenure? He won 1 year and then had very mediocre teams that didn't make the playoffs the other years. Yes, Lavi won a Cup but who was really behind taking out all the kids who had the team in a playoff position and replaced them with rehabbing vets who blew it in the end? Of course its all speculation but would Lavi really want to replace the players that had been so successful for him?

Outside of catching lightning in a bottle after the lockout, what outcomes have been much different for these two coaches? If its an upper management issue, what will really change with a new coach? I don't think you'll find too many Canes fans here or anywhere else for that matter that don't think that Maurice will make it through Christmas if the team doesn't find some consistency. Its not rocket science to see that he's in his last year of his contract and its a lot easier to replace the coach than replace the team when a shake up is needed. If JR isn't supplying the right parts or worse, dictating which players are being played (youth vs vets), wouldn't the new coach have the same handicaps as Lavi and Maurice.

i too am annoyed by what Maurice says to the media but i think it's just from the fact that he annoys me in general. he's just not a very bright hockey coach. i don't think that there is too much he could say that i would like more.

That's an honest answer.

I have been to all but about 12 ganes Cames since their arrival in NC. I have gone to road games and travelled to Finland to support our Canes. I have never been a big MO fan but rather than take this to a personal level I would like to express my dissatisfaction on the basis of MO's performance, much of which has been outlined in previous posts on this thread.

I would point to two specific issues that I believe relate specifically to a coach (regardless of whether it is MO or not) and that have nothing to do with upper management (I do believe that a "love fest" exisits between Rutherford, Karmanos and Maurice that effectively blinds Rutherford and Karmanos from taking an unbiased look at MO's performance).

Point number one relates to the PP. PP is a teachable skill that is fully dependant upon one of two things. Either we don't have the player skill levels to execute a realiable powerplay advantage or the coach is not able to teach that skill in a way that translates to success. I believe we have a baseline of talent that should be able to consistently execute a successful PP. Therefore my belief is the problem lies with the coach and his staff. This area has been a consistent problem area for most of the Canes' 14 seasons in NC and most of those seasons have been coached by MO.

Point number two realtes to defensive positioning. Again a similar logic is mind here. Defensive positioning is a teachable skill. Now on this point I question the skills and abilities of a number of our defensive players so it could in part be a lack of talent. However I also see the same consistent problems regarding poor positioning, poor execution and just pure laziness. This something the coach can and must change. As this problem occurs with great frequency should I assume the coach is not willing to "kick some butt" and/or does not know how to teach our defense the proper skills to remedy the situation?

It is these two areas that I consistenly point to that, among a host of others, are solid reasons why MO must go. And, I think the only way that upper management will finally get the message is via the cash register. People who are consistenly fed up with this attitude and lack of real action to put a good CONSISTENT team on the ice should react by laying out for a couple of games. Sure watch it on TV or listen to it on the radio. But until management really understands, and more importantly cares about fan frustration and the dollars we spend for entertainment, there is little incentive to change.

No personal attack intended, hence my comment that it was just a joke with the ;)

Lets try it this way....

If you agree that JR shoulders some of the blame, then we're not that far off in our opinions. Didn't a lot of the same issues happen during Lavi's tenure? He won 1 year and then had very mediocre teams that didn't make the playoffs the other years. Yes, Lavi won a Cup but who was really behind taking out all the kids who had the team in a playoff position and replaced them with rehabbing vets who blew it in the end? Of course its all speculation but would Lavi really want to replace the players that had been so successful for him?

Outside of catching lightning in a bottle after the lockout, what outcomes have been much different for these two coaches? If its an upper management issue, what will really change with a new coach? I don't think you'll find too many Canes fans here or anywhere else for that matter that don't think that Maurice will make it through Christmas if the team doesn't find some consistency. Its not rocket science to see that he's in his last year of his contract and its a lot easier to replace the coach than replace the team when a shake up is needed. If JR isn't supplying the right parts or worse, dictating which players are being played (youth vs vets), wouldn't the new coach have the same handicaps as Lavi and Maurice.

That's an honest answer.

I have been to all but about 12 ganes Cames since their arrival in NC. I have gone to road games and travelled to Finland to support our Canes. I have never been a big MO fan but rather than take this to a personal level I would like to express my dissatisfaction on the basis of MO's performance, much of which has been outlined in previous posts on this thread.

I would point to two specific issues that I believe relate specifically to a coach (regardless of whether it is MO or not) and that have nothing to do with upper management (I do believe that a "love fest" exisits between Rutherford, Karmanos and Maurice that effectively blinds Rutherford and Karmanos from taking an unbiased look at MO's performance).

Point number one relates to the PP. PP is a teachable skill that is fully dependant upon one of two things. Either we don't have the player skill levels to execute a realiable powerplay advantage or the coach is not able to teach that skill in a way that translates to success. I believe we have a baseline of talent that should be able to consistently execute a successful PP. Therefore my belief is the problem lies with the coach and his staff. This area has been a consistent problem area for most of the Canes' 14 seasons in NC and most of those seasons have been coached by MO.

Point number two realtes to defensive positioning. Again a similar logic is mind here. Defensive positioning is a teachable skill. Now on this point I question the skills and abilities of a number of our defensive players so it could in part be a lack of talent. However I also see the same consistent problems regarding poor positioning, poor execution and just pure laziness. This something the coach can and must change. As this problem occurs with great frequency should I assume the coach is not willing to "kick some butt" and/or does not know how to teach our defense the proper skills to remedy the situation?

It is these two areas that I consistenly point to that, among a host of others, are solid reasons why MO must go. And, I think the only way that upper management will finally get the message is via the cash register. People who are consistenly fed up with this attitude and lack of real action to put a good CONSISTENT team on the ice should react by laying out for a couple of games. Sure watch it on TV or listen to it on the radio. But until management really understands, and more importantly cares about fan frustration and the dollars we spend for entertainment, there is little incentive to change.

The issue could very well be the fact that PK is not willing to spend the money to bring in some big names. I'm not sure what the problem is. One could argue that it is in fact our drafting and player development but then you look at Ward, Staal, Sutter, McBain, Skinner. All are pretty solid which we have built from the draft.

I think it is half the coach and half the ownerships fault for not acquiring the personal. But as mentioned above, with the current weapons we have(especially our defensemen) there is not reason that we should have a horrible/non-existent power play...

There's more to it than this, but in short I want to see if another coach, especially one who doesn't owe his career to JR/PK, can change course and do better than .500 with what JR hands him. If not, and he ends up like Lavi, well then we have a lot more evidence of where the real problem is with this team.

And thank you TSA for bringing up the point and reminding us that Lavi wasn't fired because of .500 hockey, it was because he was utterly pissed at how the 08 season ended to the point he wouldn't do exit interviews.

There's more to it than this, but in short I want to see if another coach, especially one who doesn't owe his career to JR/PK, can change course and do better than .500 with what JR hands him. If not, and he ends up like Lavi, well then we have a lot more evidence of where the real problem is with this team.

And thank you TSA for bringing up the point and reminding us that Lavi wasn't fired because of .500 hockey, it was because he was utterly pissed at how the 08 season ended to the point he wouldn't do exit interviews.

Well...... if .500 got you fired, Maurice would have been gone a long time ago, there's way more to this story than we'll ever know. This franchise needs an outside voice.

Canesfan248, I agree that those two things are definite issues but hasn't the defense and PP been addressed by several different coaches over the years?