The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
super_dave_1

Coach Mo gone, confirmed by Mike Maniscalco and Chip Alexander| Coaching and how to fix it discussion

Our problem is that we have four good head coaches in our organization...and none of them are the head coach. Any one of Dave Lewis, Ron Francis, Tom Rowe, or Jeff Daniels would be far better than Paul Maurice. Three of the four have head coaching experience at either the AHL or NHL level and Francis is simply one of the best hockey minds ever.

I am beginning to wonder whether the poor play from Staal and Ruutu are associated at all with Mo's coaching. Wouldn't be the first time in sports history that a star player (or two) didn't give their all in an attempt to get the coach replaced.

It's almost a cliche, but points squandered at the begining of a season cannot be recovered at the season's end. For too many seasons, the Canes have been booted from the playoffs by coming up short at that point. It has become evident that Mo caanot motivate his players nor make adjustments during the game that relate to the opposing team's line or playing style changes. Right now a silent pig would make a better head coach than Mo. At least it would make for a very quick post-game press cnference.

I am beginning to wonder whether the poor play from Staal and Ruutu are associated at all with Mo's coaching. Wouldn't be the first time in sports history that a star player (or two) didn't give their all in an attempt to get the coach replaced.

Players usually try to say all the right things, but Staal is on record criticizing Maurice after he was fired version 1.0. He said that he stifled offensive creativity etc. And Staal wan't the only player to say less than stellar things about Maurice, he's just the only one left!

But I doubt the team wants Mo gone....at least the veterans. I suspect many of teh young guys probably see him for what he really is. But Mo is super soft, and takes it REALLY easy on veteran players....making it very obvious who his favorites are.

I am 99% confident this team is going to get blown out at New Jersey tomorrow. If Maurice is not gone by then, I don't think he will at least until the season is over and his contract expires.

Players usually try to say all the right things, but Staal is on record criticizing Maurice after he was fired version 1.0. He said that he stifled offensive creativity etc. And Staal wan't the only player to say less than stellar things about Maurice, he's just the only one left!

Is there still something in the internet to read up on that? Just curious, because I find it very unusual that a rookie in his first year would publicly criticize a coach after having played only 30 games under him.

How Mo still has his job is still completely baffling to me, and what's worse is reading in the N&O that he's not really even on the hot seat... I'd have been fired months ago if I performed this poorly at my job, jeez

I wouldn't be to worried about how things appear. If I remember correctly this forum thought a trade would go down before Lavi would get fired. JR keeps a poker face to keep the upper hand in trades so other teams don't sense desperation. Unfortunately that poker face often time leaves us in the dark.

Hey after tonight's game only 4 MO consecutive losses and JR will take this seriously. SERIOUSLY??? Even Keith Jones announcing the game said he didn't see much difference in the energy and play following yesterdays "tough" talk to the team. And they couldn't get Ward off of the ice when they needed to.

Edited by canefan248

I wouldn't be to worried about how things appear. If I remember correctly this forum thought a trade would go down before Lavi would get fired. JR keeps a poker face to keep the upper hand in trades so other teams don't sense desperation. Unfortunately that poker face often time leaves us in the dark.

It not only often leaves us in the dark but also usually leaves us out of the playoffs.

how many points out of a playoff spot do the Canes need to be at before JR gives Mo the heave-ho

Well, we lost 14 straight, and Mo is still behind that bench.

Edited by hockeybaby

Just took a look at the updated league standings, as it stands tonight the Canes are looking as contenters for the number one draft pick istead of contenders for the Cup. Will the throngs of black/yellow clad fans cheering for the Pens convince JR a change is needed

I think once the Islanders pass us things will change. :coverears:

Well, for us old-timers who've been on here since the "Old Forum" software know we are getting close to when Mgmt puts Mo on watch and the end December was usually the deadline. Isn't this the last year of his contract?

Well, for us old-timers who've been on here since the "Old Forum" software know we are getting close to when Mgmt puts Mo on watch and the end December was usually the deadline. Isn't this the last year of his contract?

December will be too late. If there has ever been a team that knew the importance of every game and every 2 points, it should be the Canes. If this keeps up and it goes through December and Mo is fired, it will probably be too late to salvage anything other than a middle of the pack draft pick.

Maybe as fans we have to take some of this on ourselves and stop going to games until something is done.. No Fans in the seats might do more than fans in the seats saying "MO MUST GO"

NO FANS == NO MONEY

JR is deliberate. Mo and JR and PK are buds. But, and I have no insider info here, I really do think JR will make a move soon. I have to think that he is working the phones with zeal right now. At the very least I would predict a trade.

The standard move at this point would be a typical JR small ball move. Trade Poni for some other guy who is struggling. If we do that, we might as well forget it.

I would really like to see JR make a bold move. Move the coach and a trade in quick succession.

I can't say that Mo is a bad coach because he can't win with mediocre talent, but the team needs a change and the coach is the logical move. Again, historically his teams have played for him, but now not so much. We aren't trading Staal, and a small ball trade won't be enough.

We need more talent up front, we need a new look and attitude. We need BOTH. Thus two moves. And it better be soon.

JR is deliberate. Mo and JR and PK are buds. But, and I have no insider info here, I really do think JR will make a move soon. I have to think that he is working the phones with zeal right now. At the very least I would predict a trade.

The standard move at this point would be a typical JR small ball move. Trade Poni for some other guy who is struggling. If we do that, we might as well forget it.

I would really like to see JR make a bold move. Move the coach and a trade in quick succession.

I can't say that Mo is a bad coach because he can't win with mediocre talent, but the team needs a change and the coach is the logical move. Again, historically his teams have played for him, but now not so much. We aren't trading Staal, and a small ball trade won't be enough.

We need more talent up front, we need a new look and attitude. We need BOTH. Thus two moves. And it better be soon.

Here's the way I see it.

#1, I agree that a small ball move is useless. Look at our roster; we have too many small balls already.

#2, if JR agrees with #1 (and I think he does as he's commented on making a move for a 1st line winger to play with Staal), then he's looking for a big ball. The question is what big ball and what is he willing to give up to get said big ball. At this point I'm not sure it matters, as long as it's not Staal, Sutter, Ward, Skinner (the core that he's identified so many times). I really wouldn't be surprised if anyone and everyone else is on the table, given how they're playing.

#3, if he can make the big ball move, then Mo keeps the job to see how he can motivate this team with the new piece(s).

#4, if he can't make a big ball move and makes a small ball move or no move, then I think he'll be pushed into removing Mo if the team continues this play.

I've seen way too many empty seats and people saying they won't go to games while Mo is coaching. If people are giving PK/JR this kind of feedback, then they have to be feeling it in their pockets as well. It might be a "we know we didn't give you the talent you needed to get us there, but you're gonna have to take the fall" kind of discussion. But really, I didn't like bringing Mo back in the first place and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Anyone know who is out there if JR does decide to oust Mo? Would we bring up Jeff Daniels or ... ?

oK People,,"IF" Mo were to go, who do you think we would hire or who would YOU like to see here as a new COACH..Would you want an "OLD School" coach or would you want a new guy that hasn't been a Head Coach before??

I myself would like to see someone with no TIES to the Canes organization. Someone that is willing to do what it takes to get the Canes back on track!!

Thoughts???

HAVE AT IT!

oK People,,"IF" Mo were to go, who do you think we would hire or who would YOU like to see here as a new COACH..Would you want an "OLD School" coach or would you want a new guy that hasn't been a Head Coach before??

I myself would like to see someone with no TIES to the Canes organization. Someone that is willing to do what it takes to get the Canes back on track!!

Thoughts???

HAVE AT IT!

I agree with you dj. We need a fresh start and "new system" and to bring in Jeff Daniels (who I know has had success with the Checkers) means more of the same.

Surprisingly I don't hear many people mention Dave Lewis who certainly has the credentials and experience to run a competent team and be a leader. Is that the reason JR brought him in as a possible "next in line"? Yet the real question is will JR give a new coach the leeway and respect to run the team in a way that will create success? Likely not as JR wants it done a certain way and MO has bascially been his yes man.

Finally there is one other comment. I don't buy the BS that keeps being fed -- we are a small market team and we can only have mediocre talent because that is all we can afford. Like many on this board I don't expect a Stanley Cup every two years nor do I expect a deep playoff run every year. However as a paying customer I do expect a quality product of the ice. That means committed players and coaches who aren't simply skating because its their shift; real effort every game and a level of consistency in executing a game plan.

Not asking too much am I???

Anyone know who is out there if JR does decide to oust Mo? Would we bring up Jeff Daniels or ... ?

As far as going big balls, I wouldn't mind JR going after someone like:

Rick Nash (Elite player stuck on a bad team.)

PROS: Big, power forward; plays left wing; Averages 30 goals, 28 assists a season.

CONS: Contract; 7yrs left @ 7.8mil a year; Has NMC in contract right now.

Personally, I don't want Jeff Daniels brought up yet. He's doing an excellent job with your youth right now that I think it might be detrimental to the Checkers.

Plus, we do have a former head coach on our staff right now, Dave Lewis. Coached two seasons with Detroit (2002-2004) and one with Boston(2006-2007).

Edited by hopper915

Last time JR made a deal rather then fire Mo we dealt Kapanen for nothing.

Can't say I'm excited about what deals JR might be working on with that in mind.

25th in the league and all but one team below the Canes have played less games. I guess JR is waiting until things get bad before he makes a change. Would 30th be bad enough?

I think to be fair to Mo and before we even consider what kind of coach could replace him, we have to determine the identity of this team. Last year, JR dubbed us a "competitive non-playoff" hockey team, and that's exactly what we got. Some young guys stepped in -- Skinner, McBain -- and some mix of vets stepped up -- most notably Cole. They gave us a little run that made us a little more competitive than JR probably expected us to be, allowed him to make a couple of value moves at the deadline (Allen, Stillman) that gave us a shot at getting over the hump and into the postseason.

So now we roll into 2011... Cole, Corvo, Stillman out. Brent, TKabs, Poni, Stewart in.

But is this a team looking for vets to play past their potential? Or is this a team looking to get new blood into the line up?

Consider: if JR actually deals TKabs to get Faulk/Joslin into the lineup, if he actually waives someone like Poni to get Boychuk/Dalpe more time in the top 9... then are we a veteran team needing a coach to push these guys or are we a young team needing someone to acclimate a younger team to the rigors of the NHL?

I think for all that we rail on Mo the guy works with this split personality of our team on a constant basis. There are times where we play like a veteran team capable of beating anyone on any night... and there are times when we play like a bunch of rookies who just stepped out of juniors.

To me, the mix isn't working. I think JR needs to go more toward youth. Jettison TKabs and Poni at a minimum. Push Joslin and Faulk into the D lineup more often; keep Boychuk and Dalpe up. I still think we should be carrying 13 forwards and the one who isn't performing sits in the box. Get some competition among these guys for playing time.

I think if you go with a more veteran club, then you're maybe looking at someone like a Craig MacTavish. That guy took an average Oiler team to the 7th game of the Cup vs. us. I think when the Oilers went young his message didn't work. But with a veteran club he worked miracles.

I think if you lean more toward getting the youngsters some PT, then you're either considering bringing Daniels up -- because he knows the young guys -- or you're looking at someone like Andy Murray who has a history of coaching younger guys effectively.

Whatever the case, the team needs an identity, and they need a coach who can handle motivating that identity night in and night out, not every fourth or fifth game.