The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
super_dave_1

Coach Mo gone, confirmed by Mike Maniscalco and Chip Alexander| Coaching and how to fix it discussion

I had this same conversation with a friend of mine and we both agree, the team is basically showing a no-confidence in their coach or his dump and lose the puck system.... Some change, ANY change has to be made soon..

The larger issue is if the entire season has to be a lost cause before he is let go, or if a move is made to save the possibility of making the playoffs. Contract wise he is signed to the rest of the season only so no extra funds are needed to pay out his contract. Dave Lewis has head coaching experience and is under contract. Brindy has no coaching experience in the NHL but his committemnt to the organization goes w/o question.

The Canes ait towards the bottom of the conference and many of the teams above them have games in hand. To get into a playoff spot, the Canes need to beat the teams above them on a consistent basis. Playing .500 hockey isn't going to achieve this goal

The Canes ait towards the bottom of the conference and many of the teams above them have games in hand. To get into a playoff spot, the Canes need to beat the teams above them on a consistent basis. Playing .500 hockey isn't going to achieve this goal

I WISH we were playing .500 hockey. Aren't up to that level yet ! Sad to think of, too, if we are still low at the trade deadline----------------------------------------Rutuu, Allen and Gleason will be on the trade block !!!

I WISH we were playing .500 hockey. Aren't up to that level yet ! Sad to think of, too, if we are still low at the trade deadline----------------------------------------Rutuu, Allen and Gleason will be on the trade block !!!

While it's sad to think of any of these guys going, if we're still near the bottom of the conference come the trade deadline then they'll have solid value coming back.

Gleason -- I think we'll re-sign him.

Allen -- he's playing so well. Came into the season in great shape and has been solid on a defense that lacks solidity. HOWEVER, that being said, with him being such a great contributor I can see JR moving him, because the return for him would be high. I certainly think that if we're out of playoff contention by the trade deadline, either Gleason or Allen will be moved.

Ruutu -- this one will come down to what JR believes he can do with the contract after this season. Ruutu is part of our best line and his scoring is picking up. I'd want to keep him. But he's making $4.4M this year. If he thinks he's getting an Eric Cole-like contract after this season, the question will be whether JR can stomach that. I'm sure JR will hope he can get Ruutu to take a hometown discount to play with Juice. I can see JR holding onto Ruutu for the season with the expectation that he's the #1 UFA to re-sign.

The thing is,,IMO, if you keep Mo your are pretty much giving up on the season and that is a slap in the face to the fans (mainly STH's) that spend their hard earned money for their tickets. @least if you fire a coach and let the asst coach step in you are showing that what he (old coach) was doing isn't good enough and changes need to be made. Then the organization can start their search for a new head coach,and you never know how the team would respond to the asst coach, might be good and then again it may not be. I myself would rather see a new head coach for the second half of the season so he can see if the players that are on the team will fit with his style of play. If they don't then you can move some players(in & Out) and be ready for next season and not wait to the off season to make those changes!!

We have 2 major issues that I see, coaching and top 6 forward talent (footnote: remkin).

The thing that is likely to happen is that we will address one or the other, and see minimal benefit from the change. I believe we won't see significant change until we address both of the issues.

This does not mean we shouldn't address changing the coach. It just means, I don't believe changing the coach is going to "fix eveything" until we actually address the forward talent gap as well.

So the discussion about salvaging the season is almost pointless unless we do both.

Still, you can't do both without first starting with one. So let's get going already.

While it's sad to think of any of these guys going, if we're still near the bottom of the conference come the trade deadline then they'll have solid value coming back.

Gleason -- I think we'll re-sign him. Timmy may want a shot at the cup this year

Allen -- he's playing so well. Came into the season in great shape and has been solid on a defense that lacks solidity. HOWEVER, that being said, with him being such a great contributor I can see JR moving him, because the return for him would be high. I certainly think that if we're out of playoff contention by the trade deadline, either Gleason or Allen will be moved.

Ruutu -- this one will come down to what JR believes he can do with the contract after this season. Ruutu is part of our best line and his scoring is picking up. I'd want to keep him. But he's making $4.4M this year. If he thinks he's getting an Eric Cole-like contract after this season, the question will be whether JR can stomach that. I'm sure JR will hope he can get Ruutu to take a hometown discount to play with Juice. I can see JR holding onto Ruutu for the season with the expectation that he's the #1 UFA to re-sign.

Ditto the above cup comment for Rutuu

That is if we are totally out of it by the trade deadline-JR might do them a favor like he tried to do for Scotty Walker-send them to a contender :) Then bring them back into the fold...

Ditto the above cup comment for Rutuu

That is if we are totally out of it by the trade deadline-JR might do them a favor like he tried to do for Scotty Walker-send them to a contender :) Then bring them back into the fold...

Ruutu and Gleason are each 28, turning 29 by the trade deadline (Gleason in Jan, Ruutu in Feb). I'd keep them, sign each for 3 or 4 years. Then at the end of that, if we haven't made our own Cup run, consider making a trade that would allow them a chance at the Cup elsewhere. But I'd be more worried that they wouldn't come back. I think JR did that for Walker because he knew Scotty was at the end of the line in terms of chances (35 I believe when he was traded to Washington).

Likewise with Corvo, into his 30s when he was traded to the Caps.

Deadline seems so far away....

Either way deadline is nothing to get excited about any team that would want a Gleason or a Allen isn't going to give us full cost and risk hurting their current makeup right before a run. We'll get picks and we always seem to get lesser rounds then we the fans seem to think their worth. Might have something to do with JR and loyalty to the players. His loyalty to giving them a shot seems to constantly make my teeth grind when we give away a great player for nothing then pray he resigns to return the favor the next year.

Ruutu and Gleason are each 28, turning 29 by the trade deadline (Gleason in Jan, Ruutu in Feb). I'd keep them, sign each for 3 or 4 years. Then at the end of that, if we haven't made our own Cup run, consider making a trade that would allow them a chance at the Cup elsewhere. But I'd be more worried that they wouldn't come back. I think JR did that for Walker because he knew Scotty was at the end of the line in terms of chances (35 I believe when he was traded to Washington).

Likewise with Corvo, into his 30s when he was traded to the Caps.

True for Scotty-and Corvo came back and at a discount...well until he made his "soft request" to be traded again :)

It looks like tonight could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. And I hope it is. Something needs to change with this team. No fight, no effort....NOTHING!

I cannot believe losing Joni for this length of time is the reason we look soooo bad. Clearly, Mo has lost the locker-room and the team.

Looking at the Canes salary and the numbers:

1) #27. We are ranked #27 in use of cap @ $50.5 mil. $13.7 mil under the league cap. Only the Islanders, Predators and Avalanche are spending less.

2) $4.25 mil. That is what we signed Tomas Kaberle to.

3) #26. Erik Cole (4.5mil). Should have used the money we spent on Kaberle (4.25mil) and LaRose (1.7mil) to bring back #26 and let him finish his career in a Canes sweater. You have to keep #12 happy. Bring up a young gun like Dalpe/Boychuk to play there.

4) #26 part deux. Cole was a veteran voice in that locker-room that I think is now missing.

5) #28. WE ARE NOW ONLY AHEAD OF THE ISLANDERS(11pts) AND BLUE JACKETS(7pts) IN THE LEAGUE!!

3) #26. Erik Cole (4.5mil). Should have used the money we spent on Kaberle (4.25mil) and LaRose (1.7mil) to bring back #26 and let him finish his career in a Canes sweater. You have to keep #12 happy. Bring up a young gun like Dalpe/Boychuk to play there.

4) #26 part deux. Cole was a veteran voice in that locker-room that I think is now missing.

JR played chicken and lost. He's done this before, but has gotten lucky with replacement players that suddenly worked up to their potential.

Not this year. He lost. Few of the big named experienced guys are even playing close to their potential. And it is a train wreck. His hand is forced, and we're seeing just how bad going really cheap can be if the stars all align wrong.

As has been said a few times here, it is so bad, the games are not even close, so the product isn't even entertaining.

IF a change is to happen, it needs to happen REALLY soon. They've played 19 games, so they still have a little more than 75% of the season left (63 games). I really think something will happen around Thanksgiving and it won't be players as there will be a freeze for the holidays.

As far as who the Canes could bring in as interim coach, I don't think it will be Daniels. Not only is he the Checkers Head Coach, but their GM as well. A new voice is needed in that locker-room, even its spouting the same stuff.

Lewis would be an easy choice. Coached the Red Wings to 2 48-win seasons before being let go due to lack of production in the playoffs. His one season in Boston was not successful and he was let go at the end of 2006-07 season.

IF a change is to happen, it needs to happen REALLY soon. They've played 19 games, so they still have a little more than 75% of the season left (63 games). I really think something will happen around Thanksgiving and it won't be players as there will be a freeze for the holidays.

As far as who the Canes could bring in as interim coach, I don't think it will be Daniels. Not only is he the Checkers Head Coach, but their GM as well. A new voice is needed in that locker-room, even its spouting the same stuff.

Lewis would be an easy choice. Coached the Red Wings to 2 48-win seasons before being let go due to lack of production in the playoffs. His one season in Boston was not successful and he was let go at the end of 2006-07 season.

Well, Lewis is doing such a fantastic job with the defense. Sure, let's promote him.

I haven't been in forums in a while but I wanted to see what everyone was saying about Mo and it's about what I expected. I honestly never liked him as a replacement for Lavi. He had one good playoff run that kept his job alive for longer than necessary but it's probably time to go again.

Problem is....who to get? Promote Rod? He's not ready but he IS a good leader. Who is out there in the hockey world worth hiring as a coach if we don't promote from within?

In my opinion, the team is not as horrible as the record reflects. But, in sports a record is what reflects on a coach and his resume has never been that good.

I hope JR makes a change but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

Rod unfortunately doesn't have the experience to be head coach, yet. IF mgmt is smart, they will do like they did with Lavi and go outside the organization for a replacement. Though for the life of me right now, I cannot think of a coach that is available. Maybe Melrose? :twilight-zone:

Should have never fired Lavi (as in Stanley Cup WINNING, Lavi)!

And why anyone would bring back a guy that had been fired already is beyond me! The real problem in my opinion is JR.

Leave Daniels where he's at.

Fire Mo and Lewis.

Put Rod and Glen Wesley behind the bench and let them learn together as associate head coaches. They played together and won together. Why not coach together? I would honestly rather watch the Canes struggle with inexperienced icons behind the bench than what I am watching now. I heard Rod talking on radio TSN interview and I think he has his head around things pretty good and he's a great speaker. Wesley was a great shut down defenseman who knew when to jump in on a rush.

Or....we could hire some former player/coach that JR knew back in the day to take over and be terrible until he can rehire Mo again when everyone has stopped hating him. LOL