The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac6

Ryan Murphy?

What is the deal with Murphy? The kid gets nine games before he goes back to Juniors or stays, and so far, he hasn't gotten out of the press box. Either give him a shot or send him back.

I believe the nine games only count if he is actually playing the game, not sitting as a healthy scratch. I think this implies some deal in the works with one of the other players, and murphy will get his ice time once this happens.

I believe the nine games only count if he is actually playing the game, not sitting as a healthy scratch. I think this implies some deal in the works with one of the other players, and murphy will get his ice time once this happens.

Incorrect.

These games he is scratched count. It's a different situation with kids under 20. Basically if he is on the active roster past the 9th game (and he is currently on the active roster - being scratched doesn't change that), then he can no longer play junior hockey. However, he could play those 9 games, return to junior hockey and also not have it count toward one of his contract years.

My guess with how good Faulk has looked and clearly depth at defense, we might see him a game or two, but he will be sent back. This is exactly what happened with Boychuck a few years ago. He's not gonna play enough time this year to waste a contract year on him, IMHO.

Incorrect.

These games he is scratched count. It's a different situation with kids under 20.

I see... that being the case I am curious now more then ever on what is going on...

From Mike Smith answering the same question from a fan:

Too crowded for him to crack the lineup right now. I doubt he sees nine here this season.

When asked why he's being kept on the roster instead of being sent to his JR team, his reply:

A question we're all asking.

I know it has been the staff's preference to have a young or new player watch the team and system from the upper level to see and better understand the way they play. I don't know if they want him to be up there for the first three games because he isn't benefiting from it or if they know that he's going back after the nine for sure and basically want to give him a crash course in NHL without the pressure and potential risk in putting him on the ice.

I don't see any advantage in sending him back before the 9 games. I think if we were sitting here at 3-0, he'd probably get in a game. Still, who knows? Maybe Mo will get desperate and look to him. At the least he gets to be around the club for awhile.

Incorrect.

These games he is scratched count. It's a different situation with kids under 20. Basically if he is on the active roster past the 9th game (and he is currently on the active roster - being scratched doesn't change that), then he can no longer play junior hockey. However, he could play those 9 games, return to junior hockey and also not have it count toward one of his contract years.

My guess with how good Faulk has looked and clearly depth at defense, we might see him a game or two, but he will be sent back. This is exactly what happened with Boychuck a few years ago. He's not gonna play enough time this year to waste a contract year on him, IMHO.

I'm not so sure you are right about that. Everything I've read says he has to "play" 9 games. Not suggesting your wrong either, but I'd like to see a link to the CBA if you have one that clears it up. This is what the CBA says about 18 or 19 year olds that have signed a SPC (Standard Players Contract).

Directly from the CBA (note the word "play")

(d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC

with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that

SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be

extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply

to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September

16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club

expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year

in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing

Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses,

shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be

extended in all circumstances.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'll admit when I'm wrong....and in this situation, I am wrong.

I was very confident in what I was saying, but after some research, coastal is right. Only games that play count. My mistake.

It's not like Murphy is sitting around doing nothing. He's practicing with NHL players at an NHL pace, reviewing film, and getting put through hell by Pete Friesen. He's also learning about proper nutrition and overall what it takes to stick with an NHL club. Personally, and given his skill level, I think it makes a lot of sense to keep him up here for some amount of time, even though he could be playing 25 minutes a night in Kitchener.

It's not like Murphy is sitting around doing nothing. He's practicing with NHL players at an NHL pace, reviewing film, and getting put through hell by Pete Friesen. He's also learning about proper nutrition and overall what it takes to stick with an NHL club. Personally, and given his skill level, I think it makes a lot of sense to keep him up here for some amount of time, even though he could be playing 25 minutes a night in Kitchener.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The education he is getting with the big club is an important part of his development. Missing playing time in Kitchener for now isn't going to make a difference. I'm sure a decision on his future will be made soon. If he is sent back to jr's I hope he is given a game or two with the big club before he is returned to the Rangers.

It's got to be about experience. Sounds like he's close and they expect him here next year, so giving him an extended taste/bonding time. I agree with remkin, if we were doing better he might have seen a game by now. He may yet. But I doubt they wait much longer. Maybe through the long road trip but not beyond that.

murphy just tweeted that he's going back to Kitchener.

I just saw the tweet from Chip @ ice_chip

Ryan Murphy has been sent back to Kitchener, GM Jim Rutherford says

I guess that makes it official. I was hoping to see Murphy in a game but this might be for the best. He got a feel for what the NHL is all about and what he needs to do to get back next season.

I'm sure he's disappointed but if he's not ready, he's not ready. JR has been criticized for rushing prospects in times of need so thankfully they're being careful with Murphy. Made perfect sense imo to let him hang around and get a feel for the NHL, its not like he's missing anything big in Kitchener he hasn't already mastered by staying the couple of weeks here.

Looking forward to seeing what he comes back with next season now that he has a good idea what it takes to stick at this level. He's an exciting player to watch and should do well here next season.

Yeah, if we were off to a great start, or if we didn't already have a dozen defenseman on the roster, or if we had a bunch of defensive defenseman, any of those, and I bet he got into a few games.

But as it is, it is hard to see where they put him in. Get him back to playing hockey. I really wish he could get some AHL at some point, is he too young to play AHL at the end of the year, or can he get some AHL time a'la Faulk? Because he is likely going to be ready next year, and some AHL time would really help.

Faulk was NCAA, so he could go to AHL. Murphy is in Juniors, so cannot. I think he could play in NHL after Junior season is over, though.

Edited by JLP

If Kitchener is eliminated from the playoffs, & Charlotte is still playing then he can finish the season in Charlotte on a tryout without it counting toward his NHL ELC. Next year he will be 19 & it will either be juniors or the Canes again.

Kitchener is happy to have Murphy back.

The Record.com-Josh Brown MURPHY RETURNS TO RANGERS

“He might be the best offensive defenceman in our country,” said Spott. “Our power play becomes a lot more credible because he can beat you in a lot of ways with his shot and passing abilities.”
“He’s excited to get back and help out team,” said Spott. “He wants to play. They gave Ryan an opportunity to see what life is like in the NHL and I think he’ll come back a better player and professional for that.”

Murphy took a high hit last night in the second period and did not return. Hopefully it isn't serious. Here's the link: http://www.therecord.com/sports/rangers/article/620496--rangers-ryan-murphy-injured

He was out last March with "concussion-like symptoms," so lets keep our fingers crossed. Link regarding last March:

http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110309/ohl-ryan-murphy-kitchener-rangers-injury-110309/20110309/?hub=SWOSport