The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Poutine

But this is about the food, not the thousand-post thread that rambled on and on over on the HF board some time back. I just returned from a trip to the western part of NC to see the fall colors. Along the way, we stopped in West Jefferson where there is a cheese factory and store that makes and sell cheese curd. I bought a few ounces of curds that had just come out of the vat (or wherever) and fresh as can be. So I'm gonna make poutine tonight. I'll report back on the results.

The more I hear about this the more I want to try it. French fries, cheese and gravy.. how can that be bad? It's only slightly different then the american version (cheese fries) with cheese, bacon, and ranch dressing. Still fat piled on fat piled on fat.. it has to be good!

Well I have had Cheese Fries, Originally being from the dreaded Nj I sure like French Fires and gravy but it's the cheese curd that has me troubled. I guess I'll just have to try it sometime.

Girlfriend got me hooked on bacon cheese fries, we sample everyone's.

I would hope an entire country can't get fries wrong though. I think the word "cheese curd" turns my stomach though, might need a euphimism on that word heh.

Well, not bad. Bought some fries at Bojangles without salt. Then I made up some beef gravy from some stock in the pantry. Sprinkled the curds over the fries and coated with gravy. Tastes about like you'd expect; fries, cheese, and gravy. Fresh cheese curds look like lumps of cheese, sort of like popcorn, and taste like mild cheddar cheese. They don't stay fresh for much more than a day. The key to telling if they are fresh is that when you bite them, they squeak on your teeth. Today (two days later), they don't squeak so I tossed the remaining curds.

http://matadornetwork.com/life/a-recipe-for-poutine-perfection/

I skipped the part about making fries, just bought some.

Edited by g105

What is a Curd, a cheese form Kurdistan? French Fries and cheese from Iran probably wont get along.

I saw a picture... looks kinda gross to be honest. But, I love cheese fries (though I haven't had them in years for obvious reasons). Is this a Canadian thing? I've never heard of Poutine.

What is a Curd, a cheese form Kurdistan? French Fries and cheese from Iran probably wont get along.

I saw a picture... looks kinda gross to be honest. But, I love cheese fries (though I haven't had them in years for obvious reasons). Is this a Canadian thing? I've never heard of Poutine.

It is indeed a Canadian thing, as in French Canadian. As I said, cheese curds taste like mild cheddar cheese but with a rubbery texture that squeaks when your teeth bite into them. Not gross at all. The lumps in cottage cheese are another type of curds. It's all part of the chemistry of cheese and butter making. Don't ask me to explain it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_curds

Cheese curds are fresh un-aged cheese. When you add acid and rennet to milk the proteins coagulate into solids leaving behind whey (like little miss muffit's curds and whey). Normally the curds are pressed, salted and aged into the blocks of cheese we are all familiar with.

NC State's Food Science department has a cheese making class/seminar. Not sure if it's open to the public, or just students/staff. I'd bet they would let you taste the curds before they started the cheddaring process.

Poutine can be topped with pretty much anything you can imagine, as well. We have a restaurant chain here in Ontario called Smokes and their most popular option is the pulled pork poutine (best way to take 5 years off of your life). Nachos grande poutine (jalapenos, sour cream, ground beef and salsa) is pretty epic as well.

Poutine can be topped with pretty much anything you can imagine, as well. We have a restaurant chain here in Ontario called Smokes and their most popular option is the pulled pork poutine (best way to take 5 years off of your life). Nachos grande poutine (jalapenos, sour cream, ground beef and salsa) is pretty epic as well.

Sounds like a trans-continental delicacy to me.

Well, not bad. Bought some fries at Bojangles without salt. Then I made up some beef gravy from some stock in the pantry. Sprinkled the curds over the fries and coated with gravy. Tastes about like you'd expect; fries, cheese, and gravy. Fresh cheese curds look like lumps of cheese, sort of like popcorn, and taste like mild cheddar cheese. They don't stay fresh for much more than a day. The key to telling if they are fresh is that when you bite them, they squeak on your teeth. Today (two days later), they don't squeak so I tossed the remaining curds.

If you didn't do it the first time, next time try layering the curds and fries so that not all the curds are at the top. Might not be the traditional way to do it, but I find it quite dissatisfying when I get to the bottom and there is no more cheese.

Honestly, how poutine hasn't caught on around the world is beyond me.