The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ill4mation

Age Poll!!!

The post above mine. All posters who said we need to make this board so that only people 25 and older can post in some stuff. Basically all the age-based rants or bashing.

This age poll answers alot of any questions I might have had.....lol

While I'll have to sort of agree with this as I had a reason for making this poll, I will have to say that some people of the younger stature do know some things about hockey. I could pretty much tell by some of the posts on this board that there were/are ALOT of younger people on here. That said, Forever Whalers, if you ARE older, it doesnt make you better than any of the younger posters. The only problem I see from the youth of the board is the lack of "Forum Ettiquite" (sp?)

8)

I didn't mean anything by it. It just answered a few questions. Being I'm 43 and grew up actually talking to people face to face. You can see the difference in the people who grew up talking thru computers instead. I think some of the older people here might agree. Having an opinion doesn't always mean your being insulting. Guess it's in how its said. How I started that above comment may not have been the best way.

I think age has very little to do with it. Most people don't take the time to spell things correctly or even add punctuation, making their posts one very, very long run-on sentence.

I 'grew up talking to people face to face' too, and I still don't use internet slang, and find that terribly irritating.

I also dislike the sniping at each other when the team wins/loses or the bandwagoners need new wheels on their wagon.

It's still a game. It should be viewed as such. And the next person to refer to it as a 'job', I will have to find some youth players to throw him/her/it against their desk/water cooler/wall and see if they still think hockey is a "job".

... Most people don't take the time to spell things correctly or even add punctuation, making their posts one very, very long run-on sentence.

Good point, Ellie. On that note, I'll be simultaneously immature and sentimental by mentioning this:

Each day, I think of the folks in my life -- my parents (now 83), teachers, and university professors -- who pushed me to write my best, no matter when or where, and silently thank them each day for their patience and encouragement. Sure, it never felt great to watch my teachers and profs rip through my essays with their red pens (after all, I thought I'd produced a masterpiece), but there's no way I'd have earned a B.A. in journalism, as well as two teaching credentials, without their help years before.

To every junior high and high school student here: Be sure to thank your English teachers, since they'll take you further in your lives than you'll ever imagine.

Jan/GSBG

P.S. If I can add Mr. GSBG to the list, I will. He's 46. 8)

I think age has very little to do with it. Most people don't take the time to spell things correctly or even add punctuation, making their posts one very, very long run-on sentence.

I 'grew up talking to people face to face' too, and I still don't use internet slang, and find that terribly irritating.

I also dislike the sniping at each other when the team wins/loses or the bandwagoners need new wheels on their wagon.

It's still a game. It should be viewed as such. And the next person to refer to it as a 'job', I will have to find some youth players to throw him/her/it against their desk/water cooler/wall and see if they still think hockey is a "job".

I agree with just about everything you say here, however, I'll note that most of the lack of proper spelling and grammar, as well as the childish arguing is because of exactly that. Age DOES reflect maturity, maybe not perfectly, and maybe not every time, but it's a pretty good indicator more times than not.

I'd have to agree that I'm not surprised for one second by the results of this poll, and it's unfortunate that we've lost so many of our older members over the last year or so with our horrible forums and with the little kids turning much of the message board into a playground.

I agree with just about everything you say here, however, I'll note that most of the lack of proper spelling and grammar, as well as the childish arguing is because of exactly that. Age DOES reflect maturity, maybe not perfectly, and maybe not every time, but it's a pretty good indicator more times than not.

I'd have to agree that I'm not surprised for one second by the results of this poll, and it's unfortunate that we've lost so many of our older members over the last year or so with our horrible forums and with the little kids turning much of the message board into a playground.

Thank you...well said. If I had said the same thing I may have been verbally attacked for my opinion ( being that I'm not a canes fan). Stating that ones age does not reflect wisdom or maturity is foolish. Please, find me a 15 year old who has the maturity,wisdom,common sense and just plain having manners as (MOST) middle aged persons and I'll buy a canes jersey

Wow! This is an eye opener. I never realized that the youngsters dominated this board. I also post on the Wake Forest board, and you can tell by the "language" that most of the posters are students.

Hmm.. I did think there was a lot more older people on here.

I'm actually 16, but I don't think I act immature or foolish or anything, at least not usually.

And I can type like I have been to school =]

I've got a kid older than the average age here. :wink: :lol:

haha that made me laugh CCC... haha ya, there are a lot of younger ppl here but, that's ok, as long as they don't act all immature... haha :wink:

I've got a kid older than the average age here. :wink: :lol:

haha that made me laugh CCC... haha ya, there are a lot of younger ppl here but, that's ok, as long as they don't act all immature... haha :wink:

lol Just get Mark Recchi over here to take the avg. age up :-)

50 here :shock: I'm so old I understand what foreverwhaler was talking about. :wink: :lol:

at 51 i can still call you a youngster though.