The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Pkling40

National Anthem

The singing of the National Anthem is getting out of hand in my opinon.

Funny how you don't hear anyone singing till they attempt to change the words-sorry but some of it is just stupid...who the heck started the "Gleason" chant for "gleaming" (not even close).

Jussi (you see) was 1 thing-and Red well ok whatever... but the whole "Skinner" and "Gleason" thing...Come on folks just stop it already!

Knowing how Timmy feels about the military I bet he thinks it's stupid and wrong.He probably wishes they would stop.

When I'm at the games I don't do any of it.The National Anthem has words-If you don't know them stand quietly and respect the tradition. There are plenty of opportunities to yell out players names (good and bad) during the 60 min. hockey game.

KK does an awesome job she does NOT need any help with the words!

Rant Over

Edited by Pkling40

Could be worse I guess .....

Oh, say can Jussi, by the Dwyer's early light,

What so Ponikarovsky we hailed at the twilight's last Gleason?

Whose Brent stripes and bright stars, through the perilous Faulk,

O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly Stewart?

And the rockets' RED glare, the bombs Boucher ing in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag Ward still there.

O say, does that Staal-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

I was so very impressed by Katherine Fritsch's singing at the Tampa game. Her voice has matured quite a bit over the summer and she is, surprisingly, even better.

Oh, that is good, my friend. Excellent work!

Here here! Add me to the list. It is embarrassing.

We may have great fans and not act like jackasses on most things, but this anthem thing is a black eye on our fan base.

I really hate to say it, but my experience last year in Tampa was better from a fan perspective. The arena was fun, rowdy, and respectful. I got a lot of ribbing from the Tampa fans for being about the only Carolina fan there, but it was all in fun. No need to fear for my life. And the anthem was awesome. No garbage during it, and a lot of people sang along.

Yea its ridiculous we allowed the Pack's classless fans put their ridiculous tradition of yelling out red during hte anthem. I had no idea it has gotten worse with even more input. Plain ridiculous.

I too would agree that I don't like it when others choose to add their own words to the National Anthem.

It is certainly disrespectful and does not reflect well on our fan base. As a veteran myself, I find it particularly distasteful.

The RBC Center and Caniacs in general, have a great reputation of supporting our military. It's a shame that a small portion of our fans choose to "personalize" the honoring of our country.

According to the U.S. Flag Code, 36 U.S.C. 172 "Conduct during playing of the National Anthem"

"During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there."

While I don't expect that many people would be aware of the U.S. Flag Code, I certainly don't think that it too much to ask for the crowd to remain silent while it is being sung.

I agree it is getting out of hand. I have no problem with the "RED", as the Dallas Stars yell "STARS" at their arena.

This all started years ago, with a couple people yelling "O'Neill" near the end of the Anthem.

lol That's pretty good. Be careful though. Somebody may take it so seriously and really sing it.

Like others, I have no issues with "RED!"... I do it every game. But the other stuff is kind of obnoxious and over-the-top.

I think some of you need to lay off the estrogen pills...

Do you do stand-up? Your hilarious. I mean really if your working a comedy club let me know and I'll be there.

Funnnnnyyyyy....

Do you do stand-up? Your hilarious. I mean really if your working a comedy club let me know and I'll be there.

Funnnnnyyyyy....

Just saying many of you complain about anything and everything. 3 games in and all of you were saying to fire Maurice. 2 games after that many of you were praising him. I pay my respect to my country every time they butcher my pay check with taxes and take out social security which I will probably never see. That's my respect to my country, being a tax paying cash cow civilian.

3 games in and all of you were saying to fire Maurice. 2 games after that many of you were praising him.

Still saying "Mo must go".

As far as the National Anthem goes, my preference would be to have it respected for the minute or so that it takes to sing it. I'd also like to have the singers not "make it their own" by jazzing it up.

Still saying "Mo must go".

As far as the National Anthem goes, my preference would be to have it respected for the minute or so that it takes to sing it. I'd also like to have the singers not "make it their own" by jazzing it up.

The little girl does a fine job. The whole adding an R&B kind of twist to the Anthem by some singers is just awful and never sounds great. I would rather have fans chant moronic things during a national anthem then sitting through a minute of hearing someone awful singing it.

I agree that there is a bit much going on with the anthem, should maybe just stick with the RED cause at least that is actually in the song. It's not something I loose sleep over however, people can shout whatever they want during the anthem, its not illegal, just disrespectful, which is a time honored tradition for sports arena anthem singing :D

Just saying many of you complain about anything and everything. 3 games in and all of you were saying to fire Maurice. 2 games after that many of you were praising him. I pay my respect to my country every time they butcher my pay check with taxes and take out social security which I will probably never see. That's my respect to my country, being a tax paying cash cow civilian.

I was not "complaining"I was curious to see how others felt about the subject.

As for your comment about the "estrogen pills"... that was off topic :)

The singing of the National Anthem is about respect for the flag that represents this country,and isn't about paying taxes (if it was you would see it sung before politacal debates)

My opinion about the singing of the National Anthem at a sporting event has nothing to do with politics it's about tradition.

Guess I'm Old School ^_^ or maybe just old :P

Edited by Pkling40

What's your guys' opinions of the Hawks' fans and the anthem?

Like most others, I have no problem with "red", but I could do without the others.

Chicago is my old hometown, and the Hawks are my second team. That said, I don't really like their wall of noise thing. However, there's some history. It came about after 9/11, and has become somewhat traditional. Since it is white noise, cheering on the country, I can live with it, although it isn't my preference.

gleason != gleaming (For my programming friends). That kind of thing has to stop. I love Timmy, but the anthem is not about him or Jussi or whomever.

As a side note, the night a season or two ago when the Raleigh Ringers performed the national anthem might have been the funniest thing I've ever heard during a national anthem.

Ding dading ding JUS SI! Ding dading....

Histerical.

Personally I don't shout anything during the anthem and I don't care for it, but it's just one of those things that I don't think you can really should let bother you.

But I'm glad this thread wasn't about the players moving or leaving early before the anthems were over like people would call in and complain about on 99.9. Considering Legace did it EVERY game and no one ever said a word about it but was always right on top of some Russian who has no allegance at all to the anthem skating in a circle before the word brave always made me laugh.