The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Pkling40

National Anthem

The anthem was written during the War of 1812, NOT the revolutionary war. Key was watching the bombing of the fort on Baltimore Harbor.

Which, as we all know, was the deciding factor that lead to the US enter World War 2. Those Chinese will think twice before attacking American soil again!

Well, I got to hear KK sing for the first time this season on the Buffalo feed to the game and I was amazed at how different she sounds from the last time I heard her (last February at Brind'Amour Night). She is really growing up but hasn't changed her style. Great stuff.

I noticed a lot more people singing tonight. Still a few Jussi's left and of course, "Red", but whatever. The other stuff you could hear but it was quickly drowned out as people sang. Hopefully, the Canes PA announcement is having the desired effect.

Last night's game was a lot of fun to watch, and winning was of course a real bonus. I'm sure there are some local transplanted fans, but am always impressed both at the number of Leafs supporters who make the trip to Raleigh, and at their polite demeanor. I'm a former Norteler, and I miss Canadians.

But, the point of my post is to ask: Who sang the anthems at last night's game? (she was wearing a brace or cast on one leg, and I didn't recognize her as a regular)

I thought they were both particularly good renditions, and would love to find video, although that's probably a long shot. I may try to email whoever is responsible for Canesvision, but I don't know if they respond to that sort of request.

I did find a surprising number of matches to "Carolina Hurricanes anthem" on YouTube, and what I thought was a fun article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/813972-the-8-best-national-anthem-singers-in-hockey

Thanks,

Heath

(sorry for hijacking the thread--this is a little off the original topic--but I'm a new member and apparently am not allowed to create new topics)

Its a good diversion from the usual negativity surrounding the Anthem and welcome. :)

I would email Mike Sundheim (PR) and ask who she was, she did do a nice job. Most of those singers in the Bleacher Report blog are long time classic and famous singers, I think Katherine Fritch does a great job but we also have a lot of singing talent here in the triangle I'd love to see be used.

I thought she did well, too. According to the game notes here (PDF), her name is Emily Gardenhire. Google can take you from there...from what I saw in a quick scan, she is from Cary, 20 years old, and a singer/actress (mostly stage).

i actually like the yelling of RED

my favorite national anthems are the ones in chicago where everyone is cheering and showing their national pride. I know its supposed to be respectful but the cheering is awesome in my opinion

Mike Sundheim posted this article today, apparently the Great anthem debate is going on in many other places.

When Sports Fans Alter National Anthems - The Globe and Mail

Paul Waldie/Winnipeg

Just why national anthems are sung at professional sports events is rooted in patriotism.

The Star-Spangled Banner, which began as a poem in 1814, was played sporadically at baseball games and other major events in the early 1900s, at the behest of U.S. president Woodrow Wilson, even though the song wasn’t the country’s national anthem yet (that didn’t happen until 1931).

O Canada, which dates to 1880, was also sung at International League baseball games in the late 1930s. But it was the outbreak of the Second World War and the ensuing national fervour that cemented the tradition.

By the end of the war, the home team’s national anthem was a regular feature at NHL games. Both anthems started to be played in 1967, and the practice became mandatory across the NHL in 1987.

There have been calls to get rid of the tradition. The NHL came under pressure to consider dropping the anthems in 2003, after fans booed the U.S. anthem to protest the war against Iraq during a game in Montreal between the Canadiens-New York Islanders. The league held firm.

Mike Sundheim posted this article today, apparently the Great anthem debate is going on in many other places.

When Sports Fans Alter National Anthems - The Globe and Mail

Paul Waldie/Winnipeg

Just why national anthems are sung at professional sports events is rooted in patriotism.

The Star-Spangled Banner, which began as a poem in 1814, was played sporadically at baseball games and other major events in the early 1900s, at the behest of U.S. president Woodrow Wilson, even though the song wasn’t the country’s national anthem yet (that didn’t happen until 1931).

O Canada, which dates to 1880, was also sung at International League baseball games in the late 1930s. But it was the outbreak of the Second World War and the ensuing national fervour that cemented the tradition.

By the end of the war, the home team’s national anthem was a regular feature at NHL games. Both anthems started to be played in 1967, and the practice became mandatory across the NHL in 1987.

There have been calls to get rid of the tradition. The NHL came under pressure to consider dropping the anthems in 2003, after fans booed the U.S. anthem to protest the war against Iraq during a game in Montreal between the Canadiens-New York Islanders. The league held firm.

Good article. It gives history and then sort of summarizes our thread, pros and cons.

Since this came up again, I'll post a similar article I came across, this regarding the Caps and including some other annoying things their fans shout during the game:

Caps Fans and Bad Habits: We Can Do Better

RED!

After witnessing the siege of Fort McHenry in Baltimore, Frederick native Francis Scott Key wrote a poem that was later set to the tune of an old British drinking song. ”The Star-Spangled Banner” became our national anthem a century later, and it’s been performed at sporting events since the 1950′s. The lyrics remind us that America’s very existence is owed to many valorous dead. In Chinatown, Caps fans memorialize America’s patriots by tunelessly shouting “Red!” during the “rocket’s red glare” line.

Beyond being rude to singer Caleb Green (who is too much of a pro to ever let it shake him), the shouting is dumb. And I say this as a purveyor of dumb things. It’s no more clever than guffawing whenever the number 69 appears. (Heh.) There are many ways to enjoy the national anthem, and all of them are valid so long as this is a nominally free country. But we can do better than this.

Instead: Sing it loud! Or stand silently. Or sit in quiet protest. In America it’s your call, but you don’t have to be a *edit* about it. (We’ll tackle the “O” thing another time.)

Personally I don't shout anything during the Anthem. Never seemed right to me as a way to respect the country. The Jussi and Gleason seem to be slowly fading this year thankfully. I don't think the RED will ever go away, though it would make more sense to me if we were the red wings. That being said I remember a couple years ago when Dallas was here and they shouted stars, followed by a caniac yelling "stars suck" right immediately after them and it was hilarious. I'll never forget that, think about it every anthem.

I enjoy seeing different people sing the national anthem(s) now. I have been a STH since 2002-2003, and even though KK is a great talent, I am rather tired of her, especially seeing how long she can hold some of the notes. Change is good.

I enjoy seeing different people sing the national anthem(s) now. I have been a STH since 2002-2003, and even though KK is a great talent, I am rather tired of her, especially seeing how long she can hold some of the notes. Change is good.

I TOTALLY agree with you!