1. 1. Well?

• Harris Teeter
    • Food Lion
    • Bi-Lo
    • Kroger
    • Piggly Wiggly
    • I shop at Target/Wal-Mart/Sams, etc.
    • Some other store (reveal which one)

For the record, I tend to do most of my grocery shopping at Harris Teeter. There are HT's on every corner in Charlotte (sarcasm), so it makes it convenient.

Here in Georgia, Publix and Kroger are the top dogs. I grew up in Burlington, NC where there is a Food Lion everywhere you go. I didn't see any Food Lions in Georgia the whole time I lived here until I moved into my new apartment, and guess what is less than a mile from my front door...

Do most of my shoping at HT in North Hills. It is fairly close to my home and I can go over after a workout at Fitness Connection (the new owner of Golds), The $10 off coupons help in addition the BOGO offers. Sometimes I can get out of there for 50% off. Meat there is very hit and miss as I buy it only when it is on discount. For the first time tonight I tried the meat at Sams. Much better and cheaper, I hate grocery shoping and keep my trips to the absulute minimum.

It depends really what kind of deals are going on and what coupons we get for what store. We do go to BJ's for bulk stuff, lowes foods, HT, and food lion mostly.

I do most of my shopping at Aldi's, but I will drop into a Food Lion or Lowes Food if they have something on sale.

I do NOT shop at Wal Mart anymore, that place is a black hole. Go in for a gallon of milk and walk out with 100$ in your cart like "Whaaa... What Happened?" Only thing I get at walmart anymore is dog food and toiletries.

I like Harris Teeter but their prices are highway robbery.

Indeed. But they can get away with it and people like us will still shop there.

Big fan of the Harris Teeter subs by the way.

I shop @ Lowes Food, which is 5 miles away. There's a Food Lion a mile from my house, but a lot of time, they don't have what I need. On a couple occasions, they were out of bake potatoes! How can you be out of bake potatoes!!!!

Lowes generally have a better selection for what I need.

We have no choice unless I want to drive 30 miles. So, that leaves the Food Lion, except on Friday and Saturday nights, what we call the Gin and Juice nights, when we would rather starve than go to the grocery store.

We have no choice unless I want to drive 30 miles. So, that leaves the Food Lion, except on Friday and Saturday nights, what we call the Gin and Juice nights, when we would rather starve than go to the grocery store.

Hmmm, need some more details on this gin and juice night. You need to get to a grocery store if you run out right? ;)

I like Harris Teeter but their prices are highway robbery.

You have to plan ahead, but you can get out of Harris Teeter for only an arm, rather than arm and leg. Harris Teeter and Lowes Foods are the only two around here who doubles coupons (Food Lion does not), and Harris Teeter occasionally runs super coupons which is double up to 1.98 (normal is double .99) or triple up to .99 which turns into 2.97. Also Harris Teeter sometimes puts things on Buy 2 get 3 free. For some items it doesn't save a lot, but for some it does. Barilla pasta is always on B2G3, and then it ends up being like 47 cents a box, and then cheaper if you have a coupon.

I rarely shop there, but if I have a coupon to double and something is BOGO or B2G3 I will run in there.

Indeed. But they can get away with it and people like us will still shop there.

Big fan of the Harris Teeter subs by the way.

I'm with you on that Captain Jack - they make awesome subs, have become addicted to them recently. My wife shops HT mostly, and has fortunately discovered the double couponing ericncsu mentioned. If I have to do groceries or run out for a few things I usually go to Food Lion, just because it is on the right hand side (right across from HT). HT has a much better produce selection. I also like Lowes, though I miss the Hannafords they replaced. I was so psyched when I moved down here and found them here, since they were my main grocery store up north. Lowes bought out the Hannaford stores down here when Food Lion bought Hannaford, about 10 years ago now I guess.

Hmmm, need some more details on this gin and juice night. You need to get to a grocery store if you run out right? ;)

Yeah, enlighten us coastal. Snoop Dogg wrote the song that made it famous, is that what you're referring to?

My neighbor across the street doesn't get along too well. He also imbibes a little too much. He likes gin with fruit juice. He never forgets the gin but never has fruit juice. He made a habit of asking me to go the store for him, always on Friday or Saturday night. With only one grocery store that's worth anything in a small town, it's a nightmare to check out.

Hannafords? Funny you bring it up JLP, I just found a stack of grocery bags my mom has kept over the years and found one with the Hannaford logo on it. The Harris Teeter closest to me started out as a Hannaford actually.

So I must ask, anyone here "Dig the Pig"? I see those shirts all the time in South Carolina.

Hannafords? Funny you bring it up JLP, I just found a stack of grocery bags my mom has kept over the years and found one with the Hannaford logo on it. The Harris Teeter closest to me started out as a Hannaford actually.

So I must ask, anyone here "Dig the Pig"? I see those shirts all the time in South Carolina.

I've only seen a Piggly Wiggly in two spots* (edit, two spots RECENTLY, and recently is the last 10 years LOL). Way out east near Rockingham NC a tiny little town called Hamlet NC. Used to be a train depot, my family is from that area in Richmond County.

The other place I've seen one is a tiny little town in south Alabama called Dothan. I'm sensing a trend here.

I assume they still exist, but it's been at least 10 years since I've seen one.

Edited by ericncsu

There is now a Piggly Wiggly in Manteo. I can't resist stopping in to pick something up from time to time. I just like to say I went to the Piggly Wiggly. We do most of our shopping at Harris Teeter but will shop at Food Lion also. We are out of choices after that unless we want to drive the 80 miles to Norfolk.

I've only seen a Piggly Wiggly in two spots* (edit, two spots RECENTLY, and recently is the last 10 years LOL). Way out east near Rockingham NC a tiny little town called Hamlet NC. Used to be a train depot, my family is from that area in Richmond County.

The other place I've seen one is a tiny little town in south Alabama called Dothan. I'm sensing a trend here.

I assume they still exist, but it's been at least 10 years since I've seen one.

I think piggly wiggly tends to operate in small towns and small cities like Columbia, Fayetteville, Birmingham, etc. Only one in the entire Atlanta metro yet they are everywhere else in Georgia. Can't find one in Charlotte or Raleigh.

Heh, I've got relatives in Richmond county as well. Can't say I'm a fan of the place though.

Only my fellow New Englanders will likely have even heard of Big Y, it's a chain that only really exists in the Northeast.

Only my fellow New Englanders will likely have even heard of Big Y, it's a chain that only really exists in the Northeast.

I miss Super Stop & Shop's. I guess Harris Teeter is the closest here, prices included.

Never saw a Stop and Shop, but I worked for one of their companies, Bradlees. Typical mall anchor store between Kmart and Sears on the retail ladder. Sort of like the Target of its day. In fact the one I used to work in is now a Target.

Someone else must have heard of Wegmans? Not sure how big its scope, but everyone in Southern/Western NY loves them, but I never lived near one. I think they're spread pretty wide.

Edited by JLP