The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RNT82

New to Canes and Hockey

Hi all.

I'm a newly converted hockey fan. I've caught a few games on tv in recent years, but decided this year I was going to make a full commitment to being a fan. All of my friends are Caps fans and I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon, plus I figured it'd be more fun to go against the grain. I chose the Canes because my hometown is closer to them than any other franchise. I'm still learning as I go, but I've kept up with all 6 games this year. It's great that we're on a winning streak and I hope it continues against the Blues tonight and the Jets tomorrow.

I do have an open question out there for all. Etiquette wise, since I'm such a new fan, what am I allowed to do and not do "trash talk" wise with my friends? I don't want to overstep my boundaries, but I do know that the longer I'm a fan, the more I'm able to get away with. Thanks in advance for the input and GO CANES!

Greetings and welcome aboard! I can't say too much on trash talking but I think the standard rules apply, if you have a lot of friends who are cap fans then their past excursions in the playoffs are ripe for the trashing :D

I wasn’t sure where to put this, so I figured I’d put it where it all started…

All I can say is what a crazy season it’s been, from our disastrous first two months, to Mo’s firing, to Muller’s hiring, to Skinner’s injury, to Staal’s and Cam’s turnaround, to the TEAM’S turnaround, to having a “chance” at the playoffs, to Bogs dirty hit on Nodl, to having no shootout wins, to Staal’s numerous “post” shots, to Faulk’s Calder nomination worthy season, to missed calls by refs, to sweeping the Bruins, to getting swept by the Isles, to Tlusty’s emergence, to Ruutu staying, to Gleason staying, to Cam setting the franchise record in shutouts, to dumping Kaberle and Poni, to Sutter’s consistent play, to all the short-handed goals, to Stewart’s invasive celebratory hugs, and to anything else I may be forgetting in between. (Please feel free to add.)

I started this season having never played hockey and never really following it other than what they show on Sportscenter. Sure, I knew about Crosby and Ovechkin, but hardly anything else. But, for whatever reason, I decided to give hockey a chance. And while I could have followed most of my friends and joined the Caps bandwagon, I decided to pledge my allegiance to the Canes. (My hometown’s closer to Raleigh and I prefer the South anyway.) What I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised. I still consider myself a hockey noob, and I am still learning more about the game each time I watch. But, to me, hockey seems to be the purest form of a “team sport” as opposed to the other big sports. If you are on the bench in uniform, you WILL see some playing time, unless you’re the backup goalie. And hockey includes what’s great about other sports as well. It’s quick-paced like basketball, you have hard hits like football, and sometimes you’ll see the occasional boxing match.

I came into this little experiment with no expectations, but I can now say that I am hooked. I am both a fan of hockey and you can consider me now a Caniac for life. I do have to say thank you to those on this board who have been very welcoming and helpful to me as I learn about this game. I am sure if this had been another team’s message board, the community would not have been as welcoming to a self-professed hockey noob. The in-game chats have been fun and while I don’t pretend to know what I’m talking about, it has been fun reading everyone’s opinions about what trades we need to make and what moves we need to do in the offseason to make our team better. I believe we have a great core of guys for Muller to build around and if the pieces fall into place in the offseason and we have a great start, this time next year could be very exciting to us all.

The Canes, and the sport, has gained a new fan and I’m sure other casual fans would like the game too if they gave it the chance that I did. I hope to one day make it down to see a game in person, but my first live game may very well be in D.C. So, with all of this said, let’s finish the season on a high note and LET’S GO CANES!

I'm happy you have officially declared yourself a Caniac. Your world has now been turned upside down. You will begin to dread summer and look forward to winter. Welcome to our hockey family.

x

Welcome on the official caniac express, hopefully you can get to go to a game soon, its that much better to go to in person. Hockey is the best sport to attend imo and I have seen every sport at its professional level at least once. Hopefully next season you can take a little vacation and visit the PNC Arena for a home game or two.

Great season summary. You've called yourself a hockey noob for as long as you've been with us but now its time to give yourself some credit. You've caught on very quickly and seem to have a solid understanding of the game as well as this market so you can no longer can consider yourself a newbie.

Glad you joined us here, its always nice to have new members register and join in the discussions. Fresh opinions and new "faces" are what keep this board a favorite bookmark for so many of us who consider this board home base for talking Hurricanes hockey. Its fun following a pro sports team but to have a place to talk with other fans where everyone is welcome regardless of their knowledge or team affiliation makes it more than just fun.

Great summary of this season's highs and lows. :)