The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

FOX Channels maybe dropped by DIRECTV on Nov. 1st

This includes FOX SPORTS CAROLINAS (as well as all FOX SPORTS NET Channels)!!!!

New Corp wants more money for the channels they offer unless a deal is reached.

This includes FOX SPORTS CAROLINAS (as well as all FOX SPORTS NET Channels)!!!!

New Corp wants more money for the channels they offer unless a deal is reached.

You must have seen the same crawler I saw. Appears this is true. Have seen this before in other contexts as a negotiating ploy.....make sure everyone knows it and customers complain so that companies pay the carrier more, no?

This will suck since I didn't renew Center Ice this year.

Edited by Fantum

Yup, halfway through the 1st period!

There's a channel on DIRECTV dedicated to this. It claims New Corp wants 40% more for their channels and local sports networks. Local Fox affiliates and Fox news are not affected.

Sounds like the same drama we had with Versus a couple of season's ago. A call to the DTV's customer retention department may be in order, the Versus contract dispute gave us CI for free. :)

I have CI. I hope that if the blackout goes through DTV will allow the opposing team's telecast to go through

just did a cursory check of NHL.COM. there are only a few games scheduled to be broadcast by FOX-Carolinas alone, with the NBA possibily going bye-bye for the year, the increase seems to be a dumb move on the part of FOX

Edited by colliefan

SSDY. Went through it with Dish last year, except that started in October. They went a week into November before they resolved it.

I called Direct TV and was told the block will be on the local Fox Sports feed but the opposing team's Fox feed with be allowed to be broadcast for those with Center Ice. If the block is a total one on all Fox Sports feeds I will be ticked

Although I am sure they will end up reaching a negotiated settlement, I was already rather angry with DirecTV.. and Dish Network offered a cheaper solution that resolved my concerns with Canes hockey, NFL Red Zone, and the NetFlix price increase all in one decision.

If I had wanted to stay, they were going to offer 3 free months and Sunday Ticket for half (or even free), he said. The problem with accepting that type of offer is that if you cancel afterwards they bill you for anything they offered 'free'. So.. I think they're aware of the impact, and are willing to keep people happy if they complain.. I just was much farther down that road than most folks would be, and am now a Dish Network/Blockbuster Movie Pass customer, as of yesterday.

On a related note, does anyone else have NHL Center Ice on Time Warner Cable? Only Game 1 and Game 2 are available in HD for me in Raleigh, but every HD channel works at my parents' house in Chapel Hill. Do all of the HD channels work for anyone else in Raleigh?

On a related note, does anyone else have NHL Center Ice on Time Warner Cable? Only Game 1 and Game 2 are available in HD for me in Raleigh, but every HD channel works at my parents' house in Chapel Hill. Do all of the HD channels work for anyone else in Raleigh?

can;t say anything in regards to TW, but when I have this problem with Direct TV I call CS and they reset some switches in their software

I get 10 HD Center Ice channels in Apex with TWC. Only got 2 last year...am very happy with the big boost in HD hockey viewing options!

I've had DTV since 2000. I called today and was told if no agreement is reached I would be able to keep both Center Ice and NFL Sunday ticket for the entire season at no cost, prorated to the time when the block actually begins. I don't know if I can listen to the opposing teams broadcast all year, but I'm going to ride it out and hope it gets resolved. Besides, who's to say next year it will probably be the same thing at Dish again?

I don't know if I can listen to the opposing teams broadcast all year, but I'm going to ride it out and hope it gets resolved.

Watched the Kitty=kats' broadcast against the Habs. Not nearly as homers as in the past,

I've had DTV since 2000. I called today and was told if no agreement is reached I would be able to keep both Center Ice and NFL Sunday ticket for the entire season at no cost, prorated to the time when the block actually begins. I don't know if I can listen to the opposing teams broadcast all year, but I'm going to ride it out and hope it gets resolved. Besides, who's to say next year it will probably be the same thing at Dish again?

I use to have Center Ice 2 years ago and when the Canes games was broadcast on Fox Sports I was not able to see it on Center Ice due to black out laws and it would not broadcast on the opposing teams feed due to being out of my area since it was available on a local channel (Fox Sports). I then had to pay $5.99/month to have the Fox Sports to watch the games. The only games I was able to see the Canes play on Center Ice was when the game was not on Fox Sports, then Center Ice channel would let you watch to opposing teams feed. Except for being able to watch other teams play, it was useless to have. Of course things may have changed since then and since it won't be on Direct TV then the feed may allow you to see it even if it's on Fox Sports for other satellite services, but I wouldn't count on it. You might want to look into changing to Dish or Cable. The bright side is new customers to Dish or Cable have good perks that will not give to existing customers.

Edited by GIGICaniac

Coastal, GIGICaniac is right, DTV does NOT control the CI black out, the NHL does. Canes games will be blacked out on CI if they are on Fox. The same thing happened last year between Dish and Fox, though a little different since the Fox Sports contract expired a month before the Fox Networks.

I am a happy Dish customer. If anyone else decides to switch, feel free to PM me for a referral certificate - with a referral from me, you'll get $50 off your first bill, I get $5 off my next 10 months and some free PPV coupons I never end up using. Just need your name and email. :cheers:

Edited by JLP

Coastal, GIGICaniac is right, DTV does NOT control the CI black out, the NHL does. Canes games will be blacked out on CI if they are on Fox. The same thing happened last year between Dish and Fox, though a little different since the Fox Sports contract expired a month before the Fox Networks.

I am a happy Dish customer. If anyone else decides to switch, feel free to PM me for a referral certificate - with a referral from me, you'll get $50 off your first bill, I get $5 off my next 10 months and some free PPV coupons I never end up using. Just need your name and email. :cheers:

That's what I thought as well. But I watched the FS broadcast of the St. Louis game on CI with John and Tripp. Is there some explanation for that? Keep in mind I live outside the Raleigh area.

So y'all are saying if for example, a game is broadcast on two different FOX networks, like FS-Carolinas and FS-Midwest, I won't be able to watch either team's broadcast?

Edited by coastal_caniac

If a game is televised by FSC, you should not have access to the road feed via CI, and technically not the FSC CI feed, either.

Based on what I have heard over the years, sometimes the FSC CI broadcast will be active, sometimes it won't. No idea why that would be. I know it never was when I wanted it last year. Since you're watching the same feed you would on the local channel, maybe they don't always check that. As for the area, it's not Raleigh, it's the defined TV zone for the Hurricanes that applies, so probably NC, SC, and maybe parts of VA/GA.

So y'all are saying if for example, a game is broadcast on two different FOX networks, like FS-Carolinas and FS-Midwest, I won't be able to watch either team's broadcast?

depends on your market. an unfortunate Canes fan in Buffalo would get both feeds. under normal circumstances a viewer in the Raleigh market would get the Fox-Carolinas feed and the Fox-Midwest feed would be blocked. With Direct TV blocking all local market Fox feeds, a viewer in the Canes market would receive the Fox-Midwest feed only. In turn, a viewer in the Fox-Midwest market would get the Fox-Carolinas feed only.

Don't understand how this scheme benefits Direct TV, It only ticks off fans in all Fox markets that subscirbe to CI. Those that don't get CI feelings are in words that are not suitable for a family web xite