The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Eric Staal Discussion Area

Hey I appreciate off the wall, out of the box ideas as much as anyone, but this along with the stripping Staal of his "C" thread, all at once, let's just step back from the ledge.

Staal is such an easy target, and in some cases deservedly so. But...

He is not just a first rounder, he was the 2nd overall and he's played like it. So getting a draft pick even as part of a deal is not a good move.

But the good things he does will be almost impossible to replace and any potential replacement who is a good overall character and comparable skill (and there aren't many) will not be on the trading block. Despite the slow start Staal is in his prime. When he gets it together we will go on a run that can't happen without him.

He has averaged nearly 80 points per season since the lockout despite playing largely with 2nd line wingers. He's been a central reason one team won the cup and one made an improbably deep run.

He is basically a good guy who cares about the team and winning.

He is a nightmare for the opposition most nights.

Put two first line wingers on his line and he will challenge 100 points again.

Trading him for more committee members is exactly the opposite of what the team needs. We need to package up some committee members for some more talent.

Trading Staal would gut an already struggling offense and powerplay. That 4 minute Staal-less power play was UGLY. This would drop us into a race for the first draft pick over the course of the season. It would also signal to the team that JR is throwing in the towel on the next couple of seasons to go full rebuild.

Staal and Ward, Skinner and Sutter is a very very nice ultra-core.

Find one nice, skilled, fast winger (or center) for Staal and watch what happens. Synergy. Unlocking the superstar seems like a much better plan than trading him.

Edited by remkin

Yeah I'm definitely incliend to agree with you Rem. I wish that a top-flight winger or maybe even a center would be brought in because I really do want Eric to get back to top form, and I'm sure everyone else wants that as well. I just don't see that scenario playing out, nor do I see the trade even being suggested.

I would LOVE for Staal to get someone on his wing who could feed him goal after goal ala Sedin twins. Maybe one day, but for now as pointed out by several of us here, that's been the one piece our team has been missing for years.

Today is Staal's 27th birthday. No, I wouldn't trade him, and yes I did think about it.

He simply needs to pick up his game, which he's proven he is capable of. I'm not sure how you go -9 after 10 games when the team has only allowed 20 even strength goals, but he's done it.

I don't buy the argument about an elite winger being the answer, since Skinner played with him at the outset. Staal himself is the answer.

I've read through most of this thread and I don't know if it's been mentioned before, also I don't want to be THAT guy who proposes the off the wall, never gonna happen, that's a dumb idea that alienates my fellow Caniacs, but has the thought of trading Eric crossed anybody's mind?

Now before I get completely blasted, I promise I know the magnitude of what I'm saying. He's our guy, our franchise player, our C. Drafted by us, home grown, etc. I know that the thought of trading away the (arguably) best piece of a team is completely crazy. But think of the possible return. Want some solid players? You got it. First round draft picks? Got it. He's been thought of as untouchable for so long that it seems insane to even propose the idea.

Obviously trading our first line center away would create a heck of a lot of problems. We'd have to replace him with whoever we get in the trade, we'd have to rebuild around new guys. And obviously this scenario will never play out, but it's worth discussing in my mind in the Eric Staal discussion thread. I think Sutter will eventually be our first line center. I think we have a TON of young up-and-coming centers in the organization that could play good NHL minutes. I just think if Eric can't bust out of his current funk (which i fully believe he's more than capable of doing), he's not doing us justice with his natural talent and ability. On the flip side, I'd hate to lose him, have a fire lit under his butt by another coaching staff, and have him torch us when he returns to Raleigh.

Just a thought, thought it might keep the discussion going even if people think I'm crazy. :twilight-zone:

YES YES YES I would like to see this happen. Even if he does get out of this funk I think it would be in the best interest of the team to trade him for what we can get. it would allow other more capable people to be captain and we would be able to get consistent talent in return. sure occasionally staal is good. but even when he is at his so called best he regularily checks out for entire games. it's like 1 game on 2 games off. Where'd staal go??

YES YES YES I would like to see this happen. Even if he does get out of this funk I think it would be in the best interest of the team to trade him for what we can get. it would allow other more capable people to be captain and we would be able to get consistent talent in return. sure occasionally staal is good. but even when he is at his so called best he regularily checks out for entire games. it's like 1 game on 2 games off. Where'd staal go??

Not gonna happen. Have you thought maybe he checks out because he doesn't have an elite playmaker to help him score? He plays his best and is the most involved when he's scoring and having fun and/or a big game is on the line. Staal doesn't have a set up man or a playmaker so he pretty much has to do everything on his own. When you are at work and the only one doing anything is it fun? Not at all. A happy Staal is a very productive Staal.

Lets get a grip on this. Can Staal be frustrating at times to watch, sure. Could he be traded, nothing is impossible but very unlikely. A month ago we were trying to figure out how we would replace Cole's 26 goals and now we are going to trade Staal and try to replace his last seasons 33 goals and 76 pts. How are we going to do that?

Staal is above league average in goals, at league average in assists and above league average in points. He hasn't had less then 70 points in a season since his rookie year in 03/04.

I thought he was to young when he was named captain but I also think he is growing into the role. He is off to a slow start but this isn't the first time. He is only 27 and his best hockey should be in front of him. This is a time to stick with him IMO and help him fight through it.

No major changes nescessary yet. sometimes when a pitcher in baseball is getting destroyed the best thing to do is leave him in there to work it out himself. I don't know what has been wrong with him lately. He stands around a lot. every time he takes a shot he stands there and sulks that he missed and is the last one back up the ice and his -13 shows that. He's been playing like its a scrimmage with friends. Hope everythings alright at home and he snaps out of it. He's forgotten how to push as hard as he can and dig down deep. Maybe he didn't do any conditioning this summer, maybe he has home problems, or maybe Skinner taking the spot light has killed his spirit. Either way he gets paid a lot of money and wears the C so he better be a man and snap out of it.

I see what you are saying but even when he is at his best I still see him take at least every 2 out of 3 games off. This is not what a captain does.

This is from another thread i realized would be better here:

He is over paid and not nearly as good as is thought. Sure i'll admit when he's at his best and he has one of those once every three game games he is great. But that's NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

WE're spending all this time trying to find complements for him on his line, At what point do you conclude that those people MAY NOT EXIST? Yes he played good with Cole. But perhaps that's just how great Cole is?? That he can bring out that kind of player in Eric Staal. Has anyone else ever done it? Perhaps Staal's lagging is not because of those who around him but because of himself! If Eric Staal can only play elite hockey with 1 other person who is in the national hockey league is the problem the rest of the players or eric staal himself? I'd say eric! I'm just saying how many differnet people have we tried on his line, at some point you have to conclude that almost no matter who you put on his line he is going to still be stinking it up. This is not what you need from a captain. What happened when Jussi was in Eric's place?

And I created a thread the other day about getting a new captain or trading eric. Unfortunately the impression seems to be that neither of these things will ever happen which is extremely disappointing to me. Because in addition to all the problems with eric I feel he is holding back a lot of the talent in the rest of the team. We can't demote him or move him otherwise he gets emotional, will pout, get frustrated and unless jeff skinner when eric staal gets upset he doesn't produce. With his already dismal - what then? Also based on interviews and comments made I get the impression that eric staal is jealous of jeff skinner and possibly brandon sutter also. eric staal has to be the star and when he's not he can't handle it. he's just not fit to lead this team, even when on top of his game

I wonder if Staal and Cole call eachother up crying every night. Coles got a whopping 2 goals so far and Staal got 3. maybe they can't play without eachother. To late now, Cole's gone for at least 4 years so be a man and learn and how to do it without him Staalsy.

Before we all jump off the good ship Staal review his month of October the last 2 years. This year is slightly worse, but not by a mile. The -13 stands out, but the lack of early production is about the same. If he delivers the remainder of the year as he's done before the noise will die down.

Over at Canes Country In Game Analysis by Cory Lavalette there are some interesting Staal observations.

a slow first month hasn't been uncommon for No. 12 in recent years. He managed just seven points last season and in 2008-09, and in 2009-10 he had just five. In 2010-11 he had a big November

Over at Canes Country In Game Analysis by Cory Lavalette there are some interesting Staal observations.

Hah, I must have just beat your post after coming to the same conclusion about prior years. One thing I'll disagree about is his positioning on the -4. He could have been under the puck or jamming his big body in or around a couple of times. He's in low % areas without the puck.

Hah, I must have just beat your post after coming to the same conclusion about prior years. One thing I'll disagree about is his positioning on the -4. He could have been under the puck or jamming his big body in or around a couple of times. He's in low % areas without the puck.

Haha, Timing is everything. Now if Staal can just find his timing we might right this ship before its to late.

Before we all jump off the good ship Staal review his month of October the last 2 years. This year is slightly worse, but not by a mile. The -13 stands out, but the lack of early production is about the same. If he delivers the remainder of the year as he's done before the noise will die down.

so he's not just bad this year, he's this bad every year and that makes it ok. we'll just keep paying him 8 mil :lol:

so he's not just bad this year, he's this bad every year and that makes it ok. we'll just keep paying him 8 mil :lol:

I have not been the biggest fan of Staal over the years. I get it. But last year Staal was # 11 in point production. Only D. Sedin, St Louis, Perry, H. Sedin,Stamkos, Igina, Ovechkin, Selanne, Zetterberg and Richards had more points. He was 25 and 26 the two season before that. It isn't easy to replace those points. Who do you think we could get?

I don't get it. How is Staal bad every year when he has consecutive 70+ point seasons? How in the world is that bad? Am I missing something here? Or are you guys expecting him to put up Crosby like numbers with half the talent? You guys are starting to really annoy me. Some of the comments in this thread are down right ridiculous.

I don't get it. How is Staal bad every year when he has consecutive 70+ point seasons? How in the world is that bad? Am I missing something here? Or are you guys expecting him to put up Crosby like numbers with half the talent? You guys are starting to really annoy me. Some of the comments in this thread are down right ridiculous.

I don't think anyone on this board would say that Staal is even close to the skill level of Crosby or for that matter any "star" level player. Yes he has put up points but let's look at when those points come. Are they in "big play" situation? Does he carry the team when it needs to be lifted via a big score. When do his points really come -- in the heat of the season when it could make a difference in standings or at the end of the year when ww are ususally "also rans".

When I said I get it I meant the frustration some feel when they think Staal might not be giving 100%. He does sometimes appear to give up on plays. That may not be true but it is a perception some of us have. What I don't get is some not seeing what he does bring to the team. My point is how do you replace a 70+ point scorer. What grass is greener on the other side. I think Staal is a top NHL forward and should improve each year he plays.

I don't think anyone on this board would say that Staal is even close to the skill level of Crosby or for that matter any "star" level player. Yes he has put up points but let's look at when those points come. Are they in "big play" situation? Does he carry the team when it needs to be lifted via a big score. When do his points really come -- in the heat of the season when it could make a difference in standings or at the end of the year when ww are ususally "also rans".

Have you followed the canes for awhile? I have watched 2 playoff seasons that Staal was in. So to answer your question, yes he does carry the team when it matters most. He produces come playoff time. Would you rather have Joe Thorton? Someone who is great during the regular season but disappears come playoff time? The guy shows up come playoff time. What more can you ask for of your captain. It's not a one man show. Staal is shut down every night.

Over the past 6 full seasons Eric Staal has finished an average position of

#16 in goals

#20 in points

However, I suspect that since many leaders fall off the board, if you totaled his points over that time he'd be significantly higher. He has finished in the top 12 in points or goals 6 times in that stretch.

He has done it largely with second and third line wingers. One of, if not the only year he had first line wingers he put up 100 points good for #7 in the league.

It is amazing to me that he can do that while coasting, not caring, taking lots of plays off, and in fact taking lots of games off.

Just amazing.

I can only assume that if he were trying he would be giving Gretzky a run for his records.

Over the past 6 full seasons Eric Staal has finished an average position of

#16 in goals

#20 in points

However, I suspect that since many leaders fall off the board, if you totaled his points over that time he'd be significantly higher. He has finished in the top 12 in points or goals 6 times in that stretch.

He has done it largely with second and third line wingers. One of, if not the only year he had first line wingers he put up 100 points good for #7 in the league.

It is amazing to me that he can do that while coasting, not caring, taking lots of plays off, and in fact taking lots of games off.

Just amazing.

I can only assume that if he were trying he would be giving Gretzky a run for his records.

Am I seeing sarcasm?!!

Am I seeing sarcasm?!!

Perhaps. :grin:

But I think it is a valid point. If this guy is really coasting as much as people say, it would be pretty amazing that he could be better than so many great players that produce less than him year after year.

I agree that Staal gets a bad rap. He is annually among the top point producers in the NHL. More importantly, just how low in the standings would this team be without him? We can all point at Skinner as the next great player on this team, but how well would Skinner perform if Staal's line weren't taking on the opponent's top D pairing night in and night out?

The biggest issue here is that Staal isn't being given significant contributors on his wings. If JR continues to pair him with 3rd/4th liners instead of bonafide 1st liners, then Skinner's line is going to get the opponent's top D pairing and no one is going to score.

Tlusty and LaRose can generate a little offense occasionally, I get that. But this team's issue is consistency, and putting the two of them on Staal's wings smacks of that very problem. Neither of them will CONSISTENTLY play as top line wingers. Ever.