The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Eric Staal Discussion Area

Sit out and get healthy, Eric.

I refuse to believe you are this bad. Your stride is all screwed up. It's either groin or knee.

i'm actually surprised that people think this is below eric's game. when he is at his best he plays like he has played this year every 3/4 games AT LEAST. when are people going to stop calling this year a fluke and realize that this year he is playing at his norm? the hurricanes need to trade staal and get rid of maurice. staal has the exact qualities you DO NOT want and try to avoid in a captain. he hasn't played consistently since 2006! stop making excuses, he is not injured, he has said himself that "he's 100% healthy", stop blaming everyone and everything but him. he's awful with who ever is on his line except eric cole. is the problem with all the other players in the nhl or is it with eric? he's not being played too much he is averaging less than 20 minutes a game. no more excuses. how the *&^(* can you blame his linemates when his own linemates are outplaying him!? it's getting so old

i'm actually surprised that people think this is below eric's game. when he is at his best he plays like he has played this year every 3/4 games AT LEAST. when are people going to stop calling this year a fluke and realize that this year he is playing at his norm? the hurricanes need to trade staal and get rid of maurice. staal has the exact qualities you DO NOT want and try to avoid in a captain. he hasn't played consistently since 2006! stop making excuses, he is not injured, he has said himself that "he's 100% healthy", stop blaming everyone and everything but him. he's awful with who ever is on his line except eric cole. is the problem with all the other players in the nhl or is it with eric? he's not being played too much he is averaging less than 20 minutes a game. no more excuses. how the *&^(* can you blame his linemates when his own linemates are outplaying him!? it's getting so old

Give it up, it's not happening. Staal IS a top center in the league. It wasn't Cole that made Staal click, it was the style of play. He has Chad freakin' LaRose and Jiri Tlusty on his wings. I'm sorry I just don't buy it that Staal is done. Crosby would have a hard time playing with LaRose. Should they get rid of Ward too because he let's in a few softies?

no because cam ward is an entirely different situation. eric staal hasn't had a good year since 2006. every year even when he is considered to be at his best he is completely absent e 3 out of every 4 games.

chad larose has no problem playing with chad larose on his line. he's producing more than staal right now! you can't even use the defense that eric is facing the top defense anymore because teams are playing their top defense against skinner's line. staal is not a leader. he is lazy, uninspirational. you never see him talking on the bench, just pouting. he never takes people under their wings. does he lead by example? sometimes. and when he does he leads them right into a pathetic melt down like last night. he is supposed to be a captain why is giving up and not fighting? he skates around doing nothing. whiffs the puck, whines, complains, sits on the ice pouting, whine some more, avoids physical contact, slowly skate to the bench to let someone else do the dirty work for him. we're paying him 8 million a year to score. and he's not scoring. AT ALL. and then he takes a maintenance day today? when he "played" 20 minutes last night? that's some committed captain for us.

no because cam ward is an entirely different situation. eric staal hasn't had a good year since 2006. every year even when he is considered to be at his best he is completely absent e 3 out of every 4 games.

chad larose has no problem playing with chad larose on his line. he's producing more than staal right now! you can't even use the defense that eric is facing the top defense anymore because teams are playing their top defense against skinner's line. staal is not a leader. he is lazy, uninspirational. you never see him talking on the bench, just pouting. he never takes people under their wings. does he lead by example? sometimes. and when he does he leads them right into a pathetic melt down like last night. he is supposed to be a captain why is giving up and not fighting? he skates around doing nothing. whiffs the puck, whines, complains, sits on the ice pouting, whine some more, avoids physical contact, slowly skate to the bench to let someone else do the dirty work for him. we're paying him 8 million a year to score. and he's not scoring. AT ALL. and then he takes a maintenance day today? when he "played" 20 minutes last night? that's some committed captain for us.

05-06 82 GP 45G 55A 100 points-- in 25 playoff games he had 9 goals and 19 assists, could've won the Conn Smythe

06-07 82 GP 30G 40A 70 points

07-08 82 GP 38G 44A 82 points

08-09 82 GP 40G 35A 75 points-- in 18 playoff games he had 10 goals and 5 assists

09-10 70 GP 29G 41A 70 points-- in 7 Olympic games he had 1 goal and 5 assists against the world's best players

10-11 81 GP 33G 43A 76 points

This equates to 509 points in 573 regular season games and 43 points in 43 playoff games. I never used the excuse that he's playing against the top defense. Staal hasn't even been involved in the plays where LaRose has scored. LaRose and Staal on the same line is a joke. Just like your argument to trade Staal. LaRose is an opportunist, he can't make plays. Right now Staal is definitely frustrated and it shows. He is the captain and he knows his play isn't helping the team. Staal has a slow start to every season, it has been documented. Tell me who the Canes should trade Staal for? Obviously since everyone should know that Staal is done like you say, then the Canes shouldn't be able to get anything decent in return.

I'm a big Staal critic, am on the record as one.

But this level of play is out of character, even for him. If you are at the game tomorrow, just watch him skate, there is something wrong. You don't see it on TV since they follow the puck and don't isolate on him.

Anyways, I just think if he is hurt he should heal up, just sayin'

Not making excuses, the healthy version does dog it a fair amount of the time.

Have you followed the canes for awhile? I have watched 2 playoff seasons that Staal was in. So to answer your question, yes he does carry the team when it matters most. He produces come playoff time. Would you rather have Joe Thorton? Someone who is great during the regular season but disappears come playoff time? The guy shows up come playoff time. What more can you ask for of your captain. It's not a one man show. Staal is shut down every night.

Unfortunately, if you don't show up during the season - you don't get to the playoffs.

But this level of play is out of character, even for him. If you are at the game tomorrow, just watch him skate, there is something wrong. You don't see it on TV since they follow the puck and don't isolate on him.

I'll take a look. Sometimes I isolate him on the bench with my binoculars, and this year he's been grimacing a lot. I'll watch some skating.

There's a macho culture in sports at all levels. Hockey is prime with it. Eric's brother probably never should have played last year after the hit. It could cost him a career if it goes sour. Eric himself will play through everything and declare himself 100%. He's not lying, in his way, he's "100% healthy to play", which means nothing.

I would not be surprised if it isn't a groin. He's had it before.

Oh, and one more thing, if he does sit himself out for it, the next thing you know is this forum and the press will be hounding him. Look at Jay Cutler for the Bears last year in the championship. He sat out after injury (with his typical dumb look, sitting away from everyone), and he got drawn, quartered, flamed and broiled by the fans and press. The dude was hurt, but it doesn't matter. No bone was sticking out, so he should be playing!

We, the critics, are severely schizophrenic. I can't blame these guys for playing through.

If you want somebody to read this stuff you post, can you PLEASE?

- type complete sentences

- capitalize words that begin a sentence

- avoid run-on type rants and ravings

- use paragraphs, walls of text are not only awful to look at but brutal to read

It's hard to take you seriously when you present your thoughts like this.

No offense to you MeleeRayRay but I honestly feel that you are trolling and I just want to add that you said Staal has not had a good year since 2006. How is having consecutive 70 point plus seasons since then not good? Your knowledge of the game is questionable. I am betting that we are all trying to argue with a 16 year old here...

Edited by bluedevil58

It is obvious that Staal is struggling offensively, but his plus/minus is staggering.

-16 is 5 worse than the next worse player. He is #680 out of 680.

Clearly the entire team is now following him into the abyss.

As bad as his wingers are, there is no need for him to be on a -94 pace.

Look he deserves some criticism, that is just unacceptable.

BUT, it is time to find him at least one decent winger not named Skinner.

We have no choice. We have to do something, because, as mentioned, he is pulling the entire team with him.

JR/PK must either find Staal a decent complementary winger, or trade him and go full on rebuild. Just can't let him continue down the rabbit hole. No matter where you want to put the blame, we simply cannot let that happen, and it is happening.

Find Staal his winger. Get him and the first line right. The rest will come together.

Don't and this thing will unravel fast.

The Canes have suffered for most of the time since the won the Cup with the lack of consistent play. Staal is a big part of the problem. Granted he ends up with an "adequate" number of points for a "superstar", buet his ability to lead the charge on a regular basis, especially at critical times in the season or when the rest of the team is slumping, is lacking noticeably. When other players are making a visible effort to exert that extra bit of energy, Staal is constantly seen skating around in the middle of the ice looking lost. They took the Captaincy away from BrindAmore when similar situations were occuring and I think the cAnes should consider a similar move now to give Staal and the team a message that mediocrity results in someone else getting a chance to step up to the plate.

Every yeaer, we are fed the same old line, that Staal is injured and that it is just not being reveiled. That story has gotten old. If he's so injured that he can't produce more than he is now, then sit him out until he can play. Right now, he is a drain on the team and bringing them down. Today's game is typical of his behavior this year...he skates lethargically most of the time, he throw weak and misdirected passes more often than crisp passes on the tape, and his shots are mostly laughably weak, ineffectual attempts that a minor league goalie could handle.

Staal is not the be all end all of this team. No one player can be. Do what Washington did and admit that your "Best Player" is not acting or playing like your best player and sit him down until the reality hits home for him. If he's truly injured, et him heal. He's not generating much of anything and adding any other player in the league to his line will not cause him to exert the energy his role demands.

I'm not saying get rid of him (I don't know if we could find a team to take him now), but a demotion to alternate or moving to the 2nd line is in order and would give the team a strong message that no one is a Prima Dona and that players given positions of responsibility are held accountable. Something drastic needs to happen to shake this team up. Letting them show up every 3rd or 4th game should not be acceptable. There is talent here, but it's not consistent at all. Mo may have to answer for some of that, but changing Captains (especially with this kind of performance to date),is not unheaerd of in any sports franchise in order to spark a team ouot of a funk like the Canes have endured.

Staal has started slowly every season I can remember. EVEN when he had Whit and Cole on his wings two years ago.

Staal needs to work out his issues------suggest Ron F. get involved again. It worked last time. Wouldn't be surprised if

he is unhappy about Skinner's success. He could handle Whit beating him in scoring b/c he was a veteran-----but now

a rookie ? But putting Skinner on his wing is a bad mistake. It cuts down on Skinner's scoring and subjects him to be

pushed around by the other teams best D. Skinner needs to stay off Staals line ! IMO

As it stands now---the whole focus is "getting Staal going---and it is dragging down the whole team !

I said in another thread---pick two wingers (or trade for one) and put them with Staal (not Skinner) and

let them play together game after game, and let Staal work out his issues himself. If that line does not do

well, give them less ice time until they get it going.

Then focus on a solid defense and making the other lines as good as they can be.

I wonder if it is time for JR to make a trip to the locker room. Mo seems lost right now !

Its all mental.

+/- has always been very subjective to me. You can get a +1 or -1 by just stepping onto the ice for a line change and someone scores and not even be in on the play. I've seen it happen.

As mentioned before, Staal has always been a slow start of the season player (Past 3 seasons):

2008-09

October: 4g 3a 7pts

November: 4g 4a 8pts

December: 9g 5a 14pts

January: 4g 3a 7pts

February: 6g 7a 13pts

March: 7g 11a 18pts

April: 6g 2a 8pts

2009-10

October: 3g 2a 5pts

November: 0g 4a 4pts

December: 5g 13a 18pts

January: 10g 6a 16pts

February: 2g 5a 7pts

March: 4g 6a 10pts

April: 5g 5a 10pts

2010-11

October: 3g 4a 7pts

November: 9g 12a 21pts

December: 6g 2a 8pts

January: 7g 9a 16pts

February: 2g 5a 7pts

March: 4g 6a 10pts

April: 2g 5a 7pts

But as the season goes, so does Staal. Some of the frustration is that we are seeing around the league, players (Phil Kessel: 10g 11a) (Claude Giroux: 9g 10a) coming out with a bang in the 1st 14 games of the season. Will they keep this pace up? VERY Doubtful. IF they did, Kessel would end up with 59g 64a 123pts and Giroux would have 53g 59a 112pts. Not gonna happen in this present day league.

The correct thing to do is find someone who can play with Staal. Either by moving him to the wing and either bringing in a play-making center or leaving him at center and bringing in a play-making winger. I wouldn't mind seeing Sutter and/or someone like Dalpe on the first line. LaRose and Tlusty, back to 3rd line grinders!

Trading him, IMO, would be a mistake.

Edited by hopper915

I'm probably the only one in this boat, but I feel we should get a 1st line center and move Staal to the wing rather then getting him a winger. Staal has seemingly improved his faceoff efforts compared to last year, but not enough to be given critical draws like he has been given, and I feel it would help the team as a whole to bring in somebody that can actually win key faceoffs then to bring on somebody that is more then likely only going to be able to have the puck 47% of the time. Plus, who says centers can't be play makers?

Also, the talk going on of the '06 roster made me really wish we had kept Whitney and Cullen, we'd be so much better with them around. Going off of what I suggested above, I'd say these are pretty awesome lines:

Whitney - First Line Center - Staal

Skinner - Cullen/Sutter - Jokinen

Ruutu - Cullen/Sutter - Stewart

Tlusty - Brent - LaRose

Staal getting a slow start is apparently the norm. I get that.

The concern I have is whether he's acting like a Captain. You can have a Captain who doesn't get a lot of points (ala Chris Clark for the Caps before they traded him) and obviously just about every player goes through his slumps.

The question I have is what kind of leader is Staal. I think I've mentioned in this thread before that we have a house divided on Staal. My wife and older son don't like him as the leader of this team. They feel he plays a lazy game, has too much of the prima donna about him and that he doesn't know how to lead. Me and my younger son both love his output, his play in crucial moments of our team's history, and we re-iterate that we cannot know how Staal holds together the locker room.

BUT... I'm starting to get worried.

#1 - Mo has said several times that Staal leads by example. Well then he shouldn't be the first one on his line scrambling to get off the ice. I don't know how many times in the Dallas game yesterday I saw Skinner and LaRose still out there and here came Brent off the bench because Staal was gassed. If he's leading by example, he should be the last one off the ice, not the first.

#2 - When we say that Mo is doing a poor job of motivating these guys, I think we should include the team leadership as well. That falls on the Captain and the Alternates. They should be getting into the faces of the guys who are screwing up. Unfortunately in this situation, I fear that Staal needs to look in the mirror. But again, I don't know what happens in the locker room... but whatever it is, it's not helping the consistency of the on-ice play.

I wonder if Staal and Mo are at a crossroads. I wonder if Staal is injured or whether his below-average play is because he's just not willing to compete for Mo any longer. I'd hate to see that -- it would definitely be an un-leader-like thing to do -- but it wouldn't be the first time a player has dogged it because of issues with the coach/organization.

I'm on the side of staal not being the captain. Even if he stays on the team it is just not the role for him. He has the exact qualities you do not want in a captain. He is lazy, uninspiration, you never see him talking to guys on the bench or taking the younger guys under his wing. No matter how much he does in the locker room I feel it cannot make up for what I see him not doing on the ice and on the bench. Also I don't understand why people find it so implausible that he may not ever get out of this funk and may never play to the level he once used to. I wouldn't be surprised and that is something we need to be prepared for. Sutter and Skinner lead by example andthey always give full effort. Yes, bad linemates can hurt stats, but only so much. That excuse kind of falls through the roof when your linemates end up out playing you. As is happening now with eric staal. If anything he is hurting them and yet larose is still out producing him. In any event, there is no excuse for the supposed captain and face of the franchise to play so uninspired and lackadaisical

Staal has started slowly every season I can remember. EVEN when he had Whit and Cole on his wings two years ago.

Staal needs to work out his issues------suggest Ron F. get involved again. It worked last time. Wouldn't be surprised if

he is unhappy about Skinner's success. He could handle Whit beating him in scoring b/c he was a veteran-----but now

a rookie ? But putting Skinner on his wing is a bad mistake. It cuts down on Skinner's scoring and subjects him to be

pushed around by the other teams best D. Skinner needs to stay off Staals line ! IMO

As it stands now---the whole focus is "getting Staal going---and it is dragging down the whole team !

I said in another thread---pick two wingers (or trade for one) and put them with Staal (not Skinner) and

let them play together game after game, and let Staal work out his issues himself. If that line does not do

well, give them less ice time until they get it going.

Then focus on a solid defense and making the other lines as good as they can be.

I wonder if it is time for JR to make a trip to the locker room. Mo seems lost right now !

Maybe if Eric the captain Staal spent less time drinking beer in Thunder Bay in the summer and more time training he would have a better start to the season. Sure the guy is in great physical condition next to me or you but how great is he compared to some of the NHL's top stars.

At least he's not making excuses, he's called himself out in Chip's new blog entry:

Staal, to his credit, again addressed his scoring slump, his inability to score at even-strength or consistently produce offensively in the first 14 games. He's not shying away from the topic or hiding out.

"It's been ugly," he said. "I'm a guy that's counted on obviously to score, a guy who's counted on offensively for this team and it's not happening. I've got to find a way and I'm working my tail off trying to do that.

"I'm getting lot attempts at the net, a lot of shot, a lot of opportunities but I've got to stay with it. It's a long year yet, so there's no reason feeling sorry for myself. Just continue to try and get better and try to put points in the board, because I know given that we have a better chance winning games."

The Canes met behind closed doors at RCI, well away from the media, before practice. The message from coach Paul Maurice after the two losses.

"We didn't compete, we didn't show enough fight, which is disappointing," Staal said. "You can say all the right things and you can talk about it all you want. You have to show it on the ice.

Full article here

I just thought I would post this. Seems relevant to the topic.

Eric speaks about Marc

Thanks for posting that. I don't care what anyone says, THAT has to be hanging over his head like a big black cloud. Its not like he doesn't see what's going on around the league with players like Sidney Crosby, Marc Savard and countless others who had their careers either ruined or seriously put in jeopardy by concussions and to have done it to his own brother.....that's a tough one.

Does anyone know how many hits or possible concussions Marc had before the hit or many games Marc played after that hit?

Edited by Pkling40

Does anyone know how many hits or possible concussions Marc had before the hit or many games Marc played after that hit?

No idea but I think he did come back and play a game after the hit but then went out for good soon after.