The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Eric Staal Discussion Area

I had to look it up but M. Staal did comeback to play in 5 playoff games for the Rangers last season. The headaches apparently began after summer workouts.

Chip followed up the NHL.com article with one of his own:

Eric Staal faces more questions about brother

Eric said he talked to Marc on a regular basis and would see his brother this week in New York. Eric also said, again, that concern for his brother was not a factor in his scoring slump.

"I think if it had been a bad hit it might have affected him more," Maurice said. "I think they had delivered the same kind of hits on each other every single time they'd played each other. There's a lot more on the ice at Carolina that's affecting his game, finding some chemistry and people to play with."

Full article here

Hmmm... that almost sounded like a message to JR letssee.gif

I had to look it up but M. Staal did comeback to play in 5 playoff games for the Rangers last season. The headaches apparently began after summer workouts.

I'm just guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play through it, feeling something.

In any case, whether he felt it or not, playing those games was not good for him at all. That's why the Cane's organization absolutely must do everything it takes to get Murphy well before he does any playing.

Watching "Around the Horn" on ESPN and one of their questions is about Eric Staal's slump and if his hit on his brother is why he's playing so badly this season.

Watching "Around the Horn" on ESPN and one of their questions is about Eric Staal's slump and if his hit on his brother is why he's playing so badly this season.

Wait..what??? ESPN talked about hockey?

Wait..what??? ESPN talked about hockey?

More importantly, did they call the team the Hurricanes or the Panthers? Because someone needs to tell them that those are two different teams...

espn_fail.jpg

espn_fail_again.jpg

Staal should NOT be considered as an All Star. He has not earned that title and for him to even be considered for this year's team is a disrespect to the NHL and to the REAL stars of the league. Don't be a "homer" and vote for this pretender.

Remember my adjusted +/- stat? Here's where the Hurricanes rank in that as a team...

Player	Adj. +/-
Tim Gleason	+8.8
Jussi Jokinen	+6.5
Bryan Allen	+4.6
A. Ponikarovsky	+3.9
Jay Harrison	+3.4
Brandon Sutter	+3.3
Patrick Dwyer	+3.1
Tim Brent	+2.7
Zach Boychuk	+1.7
Zac Dalpe	+0.5
Drayson Bowman	+0.2
Brett Sutter	-0.7
Anthony Stewart	-0.7
Tuomo Ruutu	-1.2
Jiri Tlusty	-1.5
Tomas Kaberle	-1.6
Derek Joslin	-1.8
Chad LaRose	-1.9
Jamie McBain	-2.3
Jeff Skinner	-3.7
Justin Faulk	-5.3
Joni Pitkanen	-5.7
Eric Staal	-12.4 

If that doesn't demonstrate the problem as clear as day, I don't know what does. Staal is so bad that his number is actually an outlier! Given his time on ice, he's -12.4 more than he should be on this team. That's...wow. The mean, of course, is 0, with a standard deviation of 4.4, so anyone between +4.4 and -4.4 is probably doing what they should be, anyone above +4.4 is doing great, and anyone below -4.4 sucks. That means...well, that means Pitkanen sucks and Staal sucks even more.

Edited by Obi-Wan

Remember my adjusted +/- stat? Here's where the Hurricanes rank in that as a team...

Player	Adj. +/-
Tim Gleason	+8.8
Jussi Jokinen	+6.5
Bryan Allen	+4.6
A. Ponikarovsky	+3.9
Jay Harrison	+3.4
Brandon Sutter	+3.3
Patrick Dwyer	+3.1
Tim Brent	+2.7
Zach Boychuk	+1.7
Zac Dalpe	+0.5
Drayson Bowman	+0.2
Brett Sutter	-0.7
Anthony Stewart	-0.7
Tuomo Ruutu	-1.2
Jiri Tlusty	-1.5
Tomas Kaberle	-1.6
Derek Joslin	-1.8
Chad LaRose	-1.9
Jamie McBain	-2.3
Jeff Skinner	-3.7
Justin Faulk	-5.3
Joni Pitkanen	-5.7
Eric Staal	-12.4 

Kind of also show how important the Juice is.

I really am shocked that Staal has a slow (or horrible) start to the season and so many are ready to cut bait with him so soon. Sure, his plus/minus is horrible, but the first line has been a revolving door all season. Just about every player has been up there with the exception of Sutter (I can't figure that one), Stewart, Dalpe, and Brent. We have seen what Staal is capable of doing with quality wingers and not even top notch wingers. This year for most of the season he has had LaRose and Pedro.

JR dropped the ball here by not addressing the top talent issue. I'll agree that Staal needs to shake out of the funk, but if you press too hard offensively, you get burned and that is affecting the +/-. Add in that he can't score this season and the +/- is horrendous.

OK, Staal is in a rut. So, put the best on the best line and let him work his way back up. If it's confidence he needs, move him to the second or third line and work out the kinks! MO is hurting the team by leaving him on the top line. Once he gets his mo-jo back, move him back up.

IT NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!! :bangHead:

Does anybody else think that Eric Staal is just a little bit overrated by our fans. When you keep trying to find someone to play with him and nothing is working then maybe its him and not everybody else. Fans you can give up on our GM to make any moves. It has never happened before and it never will. $13,756,239!!!!! That is how much cap space we have and it is like that every year. Rutherford is a penny pincher who spends money on washed up players like Alexei Ponikarovsky and Tomas Kaberle. I can guarantee you we were the only team in the NHL who made an offer to those guys. Not trying to bash to hard on my team but why not trade Staal. He really is not a pure goal scorer, or really much of a playmaker. He needs players around him and we just will never do that with our GM running the show. FRUSTRATION FRUSTRATION FRUSTRATION... All these years of bad teams and we are just not bad enough to get top draft picks haha

Does anybody else think that Eric Staal is just a little bit overrated by our fans. When you keep trying to find someone to play with him and nothing is working then maybe its him and not everybody else. Fans you can give up on our GM to make any moves. It has never happened before and it never will. $13,756,239!!!!! That is how much cap space we have and it is like that every year. Rutherford is a penny pincher who spends money on washed up players like Alexei Ponikarovsky and Tomas Kaberle. I can guarantee you we were the only team in the NHL who made an offer to those guys. Not trying to bash to hard on my team but why not trade Staal. He really is not a pure goal scorer, or really much of a playmaker. He needs players around him and we just will never do that with our GM running the show. FRUSTRATION FRUSTRATION FRUSTRATION... All these years of bad teams and we are just not bad enough to get top draft picks haha

I'm going to have to spend less time on these boards. It's post like these that make my blood pressure go up.

Move #1 Staal to Sutter's wing.

Move #2 Get Tripp to shut up about Staal being ordained by God as a center.

Move #3 Bring in a first line playmaking center.

Move #4 Mo goes.

Move #5 Playoffs.

Move #1 Staal to Sutter's wing.

Move #2 Get Tripp to shut up about Staal being ordained by God as a center.

Move #3 Bring in a first line playmaking center.

Move #4 Mo goes.

Move #5 Playoffs.

How much you wanna bet Tripp names his first born son Eric or Cam? He should probably name him Peter though.

Anyone who thinks Staal is overrated, should be stripped of the C, or should be traded because he is cold right now. Is a fair weather fan and your hockey knowledge is seriously questionable. Give Staal a Rick Nash or someone like him and you will see him put together a 90-100 point season.