The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Eric Staal Discussion Area

I thought this (Remkin's) thread idea was a real good one. Refresh my memory, wasn't it about Staal being best suited to wing or center? I know it's a general discussion area, but geez..... talk about going down hill....

Back on topic, it's nice to see something play out like this, Sutter centering Staal on the wing, that is. I know we all don't agree (hah) all the time, but once in a while we get something right around here. Or not. Regardless of which side of the fence your on, it's still fun to watch it though.

The only thing I don't like about Sutter and Staal both being on the 1st line is that it leaves our 3rd lien center position somewhat questionable. brent is a 4th line center. maybe Dalpe will get his chance on the 3rd line or Nash or mats?

Move #1 Staal to Sutter's wing.

Move #2 Get Tripp to shut up about Staal being ordained by God as a center.

Move #3 Bring in a first line playmaking center.

Move #4 Mo goes.

Move #5 Playoffs.

So you couldn't stop with first line winger, now you have to try for first line center? Good grief. How realistic is that? Getting Tripp to shut up about anything is nigh impossible, but good idea. Honestly not sure 4 has to happen to get us to 5, at this point. And you have to remember 2a, which is to get Karmanos to open up his wallet, which would be needed for 3 to happen. Fat chance of that.

The only thing I don't like about Sutter and Staal both being on the 1st line is that it leaves our 3rd lien center position somewhat questionable. brent is a 4th line center. maybe Dalpe will get his chance on the 3rd line or Nash or mats?

Half of our forwards came up as centers. LaRose included. Didn't I hear someone say something about trying him there? Might work. But I bet Brent can handle it. Dalpe as 4th line center seems like a waste though.

What we really need to figure out is a way to get Skinn and Finns to play 30 minutes a night. That line should be at the top of the lineup chart.

now that he has finally scored his whopping 4th! goal of the season we need to trade him now while his value is up and before other teams realize that he's not what he used to be!

For the Billionth time...

ERIC STAAL HAS A NO TRADE CLAUSE.

Wait, maybe you missed that.

ERIC STAAL HAS A NO TRADE CLAUSE.

So you couldn't stop with first line winger, now you have to try for first line center? Good grief. How realistic is that?

Well either one would work. While I do think Staal might be better on the wing, the main thing is to bring in one more piece of talent up front. In general there are more wingers out there, so that might be the easiest move, but if the right guy is a center, I'm just saying even better.

A first line center will indeed be difficult to find. If Staal and Sutter do work out and I am the first to admit it is to early to tell, it might be possible to find a top winger. I think it is more likely we find a 3rd line center allowing Sutter to stay on a scoring line with Staal.

Wow, thank goodness this topic is being raised at last. I've been saying Staal should be on the wing for three years. The guy's an absolute sniper, and his refusal to park himself in front of the net and take the abuse that comes with being a center means his success in that position will always be limited. Not only that, he has that same quality that Eric Cole does, in spades: The ability to absolutely dust anybody who tries to keep up with him coming down the wing. Sutter is the perfect choice to center this line - and, he can actually win face-offs.

Admittedly few teams are likely to look at their #1 center and say, "lets trade him". It would likely have to be a situational thing where a team had two many centers and a guy is on the last year and the team is re-building. But they'd want picks, prospects, etc which JR is likely to be hesitant to give up.

The more likely thing would be a guy with potential first line ability on a team with one or two top centers already.

I guess my point on this is two:

1. I may be completely wrong, but I think a playmaking center, centering Staal could just unlock Staal's strengths and free him from some weaknesses.

2. Each line has three forwards. While there are 2x more wingers out there, there are also centers, and if the right guy just happens to be a center, we could still get him

if Staal would move to the wing.

At the end of the day, Staal with a first line caliber compadre of any stripe, winger or center, would work. When Staal had talent on his wings he put up 100 points.

We've got a fighter jet, and we're keeping him in a holding pattern.

OK, just one little update. When this poll started it was 50-50. Now that Staal's actually been moved the votes are 9-0 for the wing.

Admittedly few teams are likely to look at their #1 center and say, "lets trade him". It would likely have to be a situational thing where a team had two many centers and a guy is on the last year and the team is re-building. But they'd want picks, prospects, etc which JR is likely to be hesitant to give up.

The more likely thing would be a guy with potential first line ability on a team with one or two top centers already.

I guess my point on this is two:

1. I may be completely wrong, but I think a playmaking center, centering Staal could just unlock Staal's strengths and free him from some weaknesses.

2. Each line has three forwards. While there are 2x more wingers out there, there are also centers, and if the right guy just happens to be a center, we could still get him

if Staal would move to the wing.

At the end of the day, Staal with a first line caliber compadre of any stripe, winger or center, would work. When Staal had talent on his wings he put up 100 points.

We've got a fighter jet, and we're keeping him in a holding pattern.

Fighter Jet? ......Really????

How about Bi Plane....that's run out of gas.

Don't excuse his poor play because of lack of linemates. There's no effort. He's bringing the whole team down while everyone waits for him to find his game. I say it's time to cut losses.

Staal is in a funk. See below for why I think it's getting worse.

1. Lack of high quality line mates ***(see below. I know the analogy is soccer related)

2. Poor coaching and motivation from Mo

3. Wife due to have 2nd baby very soon?

**** When David Beckham signed with the Galaxy, he was surrounded by players that just were not up to his level. He would put in superb crosses that no-one could get a foot/header on.

Staal is a very very good player. he needs linemates the can play at his level. I know he's not scoring, but I do see him working hard and making some good plays.

Sorry guys...I cannot bash our captain.

Edited by hockeybaby

1. Lack of high quality line mates ***(see below. I know the analogy is soccer related)

**** When David Beckham signed with the Galaxy, he was surrounded by players that just were not up to his level. He would put in superb crosses that no-one could get a foot/header on.

Staal is a very very good player. he needs linemates the can play at his level. I know he's not scoring, but I do see him working hard and making some good plays.

If he was doing the little things, he wouldn't be -18. If he was doing the little things, his lack of scoring wouldn't be as much of a big deal. The fact is that right now he's not playing good hockey. At. All.

Edited by witchking-ch1

He's getting over 7 million dollars to play hockey and he's not. Period. Those reasons listed above are not reasons to not do your job with maximum effort. athey wouldn't be acceptable reasons for a poor performance at my job or anyone else's and I don't make a small fraction of what Staal has agreed to play for. AS a Captain he has an extra duty to perform as hard as he can each and every moment he's on the ice. Anything less and he's not doing his job. He's definietely not doing his job. There should be some repercussions.

They should be definitive and severe enough to send a message to the whole team.

Excuses for his poor play are all pathetically weak.

Mo's responsible for team motivation. He's failed as well. He needs to go. Now!

Fighter Jet? ......Really????

How about Bi Plane....that's run out of gas.

Don't excuse his poor play because of lack of linemates. There's no effort. He's bringing the whole team down while everyone waits for him to find his game. I say it's time to cut losses.

Staal is in a deep hole and the degree of that is a major factor in our current situation, no question. But there aren't too many guys out there who have put up 100 point seasons, and given his prior productivity he is a fighter jet. But this year he is a fighter jet with serious mechanical problems, to stretch the metaphor. Fix those problems don't give the jet away.

I know that Staal has a NTC. But for discussion sake assume he didn't.

The idea of trading Staal at this point is farfetched. Maybe we need to bring in a vet who can take the "C" for a while. I don't think it would work to give it to a current player, but trading him would be nuts. He is still in his prime and he is a major force when he is right.

The only way Staal gets traded is if Staal has had enough of Carolina, and it is hard to see that being good for us.

Edited by remkin

based on what happened in the locker room yesterday he very well may be sick of the team. Staal and ward typically show little emotion so that says a lot about how bad things are in the lockerroom. I'm guessing either cam flipped at everyone including staal or eric staal is no longer on maurice's side and maybe even fed up with the entire team

Edited by MeleeRayRay

Staal is in a deep hole and the degree of that is a major factor in our current situation, no question. But there aren't too many guys out there who have put up 100 point seasons, and given his prior productivity he is a fighter jet. But this year he is a fighter jet with serious mechanical problems, to stretch the metaphor. Fix those problems don't give the jet away.

I know that Staal has a NTC. But for discussion sake assume he didn't.

The idea of trading Staal at this point is farfetched. Maybe we need to bring in a vet who can take the "C" for a while. I don't think it would work to give it to a current player, but trading him would be nuts. He is still in his prime and he is a major force when he is right.

The only way Staal gets traded is if Staal has had enough of Carolina, and it is hard to see that being good for us.

I agree that the chance of Staal being traded are practically nil. Just for the sake of discussion though, we'd most likely get more and better talent for him than any others. I know....not gonna happen.

As I started in an earlier post, you can make a pretty severe message by moving him to a different line or letting him sit out until he gets a grip on whatever ails him. As for the "C", they didn't mind taking it from Brind A'More when he was slumping and giving it to a younger guy who was not ready for it. What's the difference from then to now? A younger guy might really step up and show that leadership is not age determined but exhibited by actions and commitment, traits which are not being shown currently.

Edited by goalies-rule-2

I don't think replacing Staal helps the team or the fans in any way. He is the face of the franchise even though Wardo and Skins can make a case too.

If they aren't going to make a coaching change then at least come up with a solid set of lines and stop messing with it. Let the guys get comfortable playing together. Staal can play wing and center. Hell I don't care if he plays in a defensive position as long as he's motivated.

"It's Staal good" and will get better, i have confidence in the guy.

I agree that the chance of Staal being traded are practically nil. Just for the sake of discussion though, we'd most likely get more and better talent for him than any others. I know....not gonna happen.

As I started in an earlier post, you can make a pretty severe message by moving him to a different line or letting him sit out until he gets a grip on whatever ails him. As for the "C", they didn't mind taking it from Brind A'More when he was slumping and giving it to a younger guy who was not ready for it. What's the difference from then to now? A younger guy might really step up and show that leadership is not age determined but exhibited by actions and commitment, traits which are not being shown currently.

I don't think you can take the C away from Staal. I suppose he could ask to give it up but even then you would be faced with a tough decision.

Brindy was an aging veteran looking at the end of a career. He was hampered by an injury and facing a team looking forward and not at past glory. Staal was the future in a season beginning to look at rebuilding.

If you take the C away or accept an offer to give it up from Staal you will further erode his confidence. The last thing Staal needs right now is a vote of no confidence.

If it did happen and we gave it to a younger player, say Sutter you risk putting to much pressure on another young star and you signal to Staal he might not be part of your future. If Staal were to lose the C he would have to have a chance to earn it back.

IMO that leaves only veterans like LaRose, Gleason or Allen as possible choices for Captain.

He's just not captain material. most of us should know by now that he never was. Staal has earned the right to be embarassed. If it's a further blow to his confidence what of it. just like when Marleau was removed. it needs to be done. staal has said himself there are leadership problems. everyone's respect for him keeps falling. why can't he be big enough to do the right thing and step aside?

Edited by MeleeRayRay