The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Eric Staal Discussion Area

He's just not captain material. most of us should know by now that he never was. Staal has earned the right to be embarassed. If it's a further blow to his confidence what of it. just like when Marleau was removed. it needs to be done. staal has said himself there are leadership problems. everyone's respect for him keeps falling. why can't he be big enough to do the right thing and step aside?

I'm not defending Staal or his leadership. It may be what happens. I just think it might be the wrong move for both Staal and the team. As I often point out I am often wrong so I don't know what the right move is. I do think something is going to change soon.

He's just not captain material. most of us should know by now that he never was. Staal has earned the right to be embarassed. If it's a further blow to his confidence what of it. just like when Marleau was removed. it needs to be done. staal has said himself there are leadership problems. everyone's respect for him keeps falling. why can't he be big enough to do the right thing and step aside?

I agree. I've heard people talk about how he's a leader in the locker room...Maybe. But, we need a leader on and off the ice and he's not it, never has been, and never will be. He's been forced into the position by the GM and owners that "want" him to be the face of the organization, especially since they loaded themselves with his heavy contract. Every year he has prolonged slumps which are later attributed to "unspecified injuries" which have deteriorated his game for critical stretches of the seasons. In my opinion, trying to play through, if that's the best you can do, is more arrogant than helpful to the team as it creates gaping holes in the offense and defense by having a "weak" player taking up space on the ice.

As for a vote of no confidence that has been mentioned, he has brought that on himself, not only this year, but previous years as the team has struggled to find motivation to come out competitively on a regular basis. Too many times in the past few years, the Canes have come out half heartedly to start games or given up too easily when things turned bad for them during games. The team has spent the better part of the last month and a half scrambling any chance of chemistry by jerking the lines around and misallocating playing time for younger players as everyone tried to find that "special place" for Eric to find himself and to feel good about himself. Enough already. Been there, tried that, hasn't worked. Let's move on to Plan B. Ok JR....we're ready for Plan B. We know you've got to be working on one...

I've been one of Staal's harshest critics, and he's earned every criticism I've given him. He's over-rated, over-coddled, and doesn't know much about playing center in the NHL. He's a natural winger; that's where he belongs, whether he likes it or not.

But the fact of the matter right now is that the Canes' problem is not Eric Staal. It's Paul Maurice. He needs to go, and the longer we wait, the longer it will be before the ship begins to turn around. Playing for one-goal wins on a team as offensively talented as this one - and as defensively challenged - is nonsense, yet Maurice always has and always will have that mindset. It's a lot more difficult for the opposing team to win the game from their end of the rink, and Maurice has ignored this fact for his entire tenure as an NHL coach.

Let him go back to college (where he was headed when JR brought him back) and let's get a Mike Keenan-type (in other words, a hard-*edit*) to whip this crew into shape.

NOW.

I've been one of Staal's harshest critics, and he's earned every criticism I've given him. He's over-rated, over-coddled, and doesn't know much about playing center in the NHL. He's a natural winger; that's where he belongs, whether he likes it or not.

But the fact of the matter right now is that the Canes' problem is not Eric Staal. It's Paul Maurice. He needs to go, and the longer we wait, the longer it will be before the ship begins to turn around. Playing for one-goal wins on a team as offensively talented as this one - and as defensively challenged - is nonsense, yet Maurice always has and always will have that mindset. It's a lot more difficult for the opposing team to win the game from their end of the rink, and Maurice has ignored this fact for his entire tenure as an NHL coach.

Let him go back to college (where he was headed when JR brought him back) and let's get a Mike Keenan-type (in other words, a hard-*edit*) to whip this crew into shape.

NOW.

Sorry, but I think enough is enough with the Staal bashing. You think he's overrated, but he's led the team in scoring the past how many years? Doesn't know much about playing center? I mean, this is just laughable. The only year he didn't scored under 70 pts was his rookie year. Natural winger? That's interesting, considering about 99% of all of his pts have come from the center position.

I can understand being frustrated with Staal's current slump, but honestly...

Sorry, but I think enough is enough with the Staal bashing. You think he's overrated, but he's led the team in scoring the past how many years? Doesn't know much about playing center? I mean, this is just laughable. The only year he didn't scored under 70 pts was his rookie year. Natural winger? That's interesting, considering about 99% of all of his pts have come from the center position.

I resemble this post. :goodpost:

Over the last few games I don't think you can question whether or not Staal was playing the role of captain. Same with Sutter as an assistant captain.

Hmm, looks like somebody needs assignment to remedial reading. I clearly said Staal is not the problem now, Maurice is. As for Staal's performance at center, it was great to see him win the majority of face-offs last night and go to the net - two things he's never done consistently, and two things NHL centers must do to be effective. Let's hope it's a permanent change - along with putting Skinner on the first line, where he's belonged since he was deMOted around this same time, last season.

Hmm, looks like somebody needs assignment to remedial reading. I clearly said Staal is not the problem now, Maurice is. As for Staal's performance at center, it was great to see him win the majority of face-offs last night and go to the net - two things he's never done consistently, and two things NHL centers must do to be effective. Let's hope it's a permanent change - along with putting Skinner on the first line, where he's belonged since he was deMOted around this same time, last season.

Your previous post had two parts. I was merely focussing on the first part. Don't play those kind of games with me.

This question is for everyone, I suppose. Do you guys really think having both Skinner and Staal on the first line is a good idea? That's all of our eggs in one basket. Plus, Skinner is going to facing the other teams top defensive group. I just don't think it's a good idea; however, until we bring in another forward, it may be what we have to do.

Over the last few games I don't think you can question whether or not Staal was playing the role of captain. Same with Sutter as an assistant captain.

:goodpost::applause::applause:

Your previous post had two parts. I was merely focussing on the first part. Don't play those kind of games with me.

This question is for everyone, I suppose. Do you guys really think having both Skinner and Staal on the first line is a good idea? That's all of our eggs in one basket. Plus, Skinner is going to facing the other teams top defensive group. I just don't think it's a good idea; however, until we bring in another forward, it may be what we have to do.

Dude, just b/c you don't like the truth, don't accuse me of "playing games." To repeat, I CLEARLY said in my original post that while I've criticized Staal when he's deserved it, he is NOT the problem right now. So when you characterized that post as "Staal bashing," you were way off. Simple as that.

As for putting all our eggs in one basket, I think the bottom line is that we were winning hockey games early last year when Skins was playing with Staal, and our boneheaded coach broke that up. I really don't undetrstand Mo's (apparent) fear of having what's known throughout the rest of the league as a "scoring line." The presence of one on any team not only gives the other lines something to aspire to, but forces them to learn quickly and play smarter.

We have all the offensive talent we need. Mo just needs to take away their crutches (excuses) and let them play.

Dude, just b/c you don't like the truth, don't accuse me of "playing games." To repeat, I CLEARLY said in my original post that while I've criticized Staal when he's deserved it, he is NOT the problem right now. So when you characterized that post as "Staal bashing," you were way off. Simple as that.

As for putting all our eggs in one basket, I think the bottom line is that we were winning hockey games early last year when Skins was playing with Staal, and our boneheaded coach broke that up. I really don't undetrstand Mo's (apparent) fear of having what's known throughout the rest of the league as a "scoring line." The presence of one on any team not only gives the other lines something to aspire to, but forces them to learn quickly and play smarter.

We have all the offensive talent we need. Mo just needs to take away their crutches (excuses) and let them play.

Yes, you said Staal is not the problem right now, even with the fact that (according to you, of course) "he's over-rated, over-coddled, and doesn't know much about playing center in the NHL." I am merely disagreeing with what YOU SAID.

I don't have a problem with Skinner being on Staal's line but unless you compliment them with another skilled/speedy/physical winger who can draw defenders and open up some space, the line will never reach its full potential. Last year that guy was Cole until aging Stillman came in. This year it's ... ummm... LaRose.

As far as putting all our eggs into one basket, why not? I'd rather chance playing one full basket against a top d-pairing instead of hoping for the best with two baskets half full.

Is the Staal line really the "first" line? I'd argue Skinner/Jussi/Ruu is a valid first line. Staal/Sutter/LaRose is a good second line. Obviously one would prefer more talent than LaRose there, but looking at the numbers, LaRose may require some second thinking. He's currently on pace for 20 goals and 40 points. That is not great first line production, but it's pretty solid for a second line RW.

So...no, keep Skinner and Staal separate.

In the last 4-5 games i've seen Staal with at least 3 breakaway chances he could not convert, and at least 3 wide open chances he missed. Whether those statistics are accurate or not....he's not good on any line from what i've seen. It's almost like he has expected his talent to flourish with out self-improvement or practice. Practice dekes, work on your snapshot aiming, and for gods sake stop worrying about your brother.

Last night, with the score 2-0 and Carolina on a power-play, a pass went across the crease to Eric Staal, positioned at the corner post. All he had to do was to keep his stick on the ice for an easy deflection and goal to make it 3-0. His stick was not on the ice. Shortly thereafter, he attempted to move the puck up the boards (rather than reversing the flow)despite the fact that he was closely guarded. He lost the puck and on the continuation of the play, a short-handed goal was scored. Instead of a score of 3-0, it was now 2-1 and Staal in again -1. Neither of these errors had anything to do with the loss of Eric Cole or the absence of a replacement. The fact is, that there are a number of talented wingers that can fill the void left by Cole. It is not that none of them fit with Staal but rather that Staal does not seem to fit with anyone. Despite the talk that the fans don't see what he does off the ice to help the team, what is seen on the ice is the important thing. He appears to have lost it! If he was performing anywhere near his salary, the Hurricanes would not be in the dismal position that they find themselves and there would be no talk about a coaching change. When Staal joined the Hurricane he was compared to a young Joe Thornton. When Thornton was trade from Boston there was a cry from the fan base. Look at them now! If the choice is between a coaching change and a trade for a new first line center, I'm afraid that the Captain must go.

Is there a way to send him to the Checkers for a few games as a "conditioning" stint? Not as a demotion but to help him find the success he should find at that level improve the level of his confidence. If he continues to struggle at that level, we have real problems.

Certainly a return to fundamentals has helped many athletes get their game back. No doubt it is not fair that Staal is dragging rather than lifting the team. But short of a blockbuster trade this team has no choice but to try to get Staal going however possible. Those kind of superstar trades are very rare. You'd have to have another superstar struggling and then both GM's would be taking a huge chance that if it did not work would bring major heat on them. Plus, Staal and probably the other guy have NTC's.

I know it jerks people's chain to think that we have make a move to get a guy going who should be getting others going, but the odds are high that it would work. Put a legitimate first liner to play with Staal and chances are great that he will lift up out of this. So we can wish that Staal will get demoted, or sent down to the minors or traded, but none of those will help his self confidence, they'd just make it worse. And they aren't happening anyway.

Having a legit first line talent on his wing (or center) will. Bottom line it will work. It will make the team better even if Staal stays in his funk, but I almost guarantee that we bring that guy in and he feeds Staal for a couple of goals and Staal starts feeling it again. It's a better idea than anything else, anything.

The team is playing better, but we are still not a team going on a 6-0 run any time soon. This move is so obvious, I have to think it is just a matter of closing a deal. Come ON, JR.

Edited by remkin

what are the examples of when a team's star and captain went into a major funk and what was done to bring that individual up to his former level of play? do the Canes have a team shrink?

There's a synergy that can develop between two exceptional players that complement each other. Most top lines have at least two guys who read and play off of each other, and raise their game to keep up. The Sedin's are probably the best example, but of course being identical twins might help.

I played and occasionally still play basketball. I can get into a pickup game where the guys I'm playing with don't get my game. Passes are off, they aren't rolling to the spots that I expect, maybe just not that good (or maybe I'm not). Anyway, then the teams get re-juggled and a guy on the other team switches to my team and we just click. Passes are right there when I get open, he's rolling to the basket just at the right time, and my game just starts quickly get better. Mentally I'm more focused, but also I'm in a more free flow mental space. The "stress" is positive stress of how can I make an even better play. Not just cover a guy, but maybe even steal a pass, etc.

Putting a top notch forward on Staals line would accomplish a bunch of things all at once.

But from Staal's perspective it would take some negative pressure off and put some positive pressure on. It might get him feeling his game again. And it would reassure him that for the first time in a few years, JR and PK aren't going to leave him alone on that first line.

I understand that it is not easy to just go out and get first line talent, especially if you're shopping a tired Kaberle, but it is what we need if we are to have any chance of the kind of run we need to pull out from where we are.

There's a synergy that can develop between two exceptional players that complement each other. Most top lines have at least two guys who read and play off of each other, and raise their game to keep up. The Sedin's are probably the best example, but of course being identical twins might help.

I played and occasionally still play basketball. I can get into a pickup game where the guys I'm playing with don't get my game. Passes are off, they aren't rolling to the spots that I expect, maybe just not that good (or maybe I'm not). Anyway, then the teams get re-juggled and a guy on the other team switches to my team and we just click. Passes are right there when I get open, he's rolling to the basket just at the right time, and my game just starts quickly get better. Mentally I'm more focused, but also I'm in a more free flow mental space. The "stress" is positive stress of how can I make an even better play. Not just cover a guy, but maybe even steal a pass, etc.

Putting a top notch forward on Staals line would accomplish a bunch of things all at once.

I too played a lot of basketball up to about 5 years ago. At that time, I played a weekly pickup game with a bunch of guys that I went to church with. There was one guy that our games just "clicked". When we were on the same team, we were unstoppable. Neither of us were great players by ourselves, but together we always thought exactly the same thing at the same time. It sure was a lot of fun to play that way. After a while, everybody got hip and made sure we were always on opposing teams. It sure wasn't as much fun to play after that. I'd bet Staal is feeling a lot like that right about now.

But from Staal's perspective it would take some negative pressure off and put some positive pressure on. It might get him feeling his game again. And it would reassure him that for the first time in a few years, JR and PK aren't going to leave him alone on that first line.

I understand that it is not easy to just go out and get first line talent, especially if you're shopping a tired Kaberle, but it is what we need if we are to have any chance of the kind of run we need to pull out from where we are.

I think you also have to be wary of it backfiring. Just because a guy is a 1st line talent, that doesn't mean he and Staal would have chemistry.

I think you also have to be wary of it backfiring. Just because a guy is a 1st line talent, that doesn't mean he and Staal would have chemistry.

Dalpe or Boychuk could be that guy, but we'll never know.

Bingo! IMO if Staal can't produce with Skinner it is more about Staal's failure to integrate. Skinner makes everyone better, except apparently for No. 12.

To me the massive puzzle is:

Why does Staal "Cherry Pick" and not get back defensively? He's one of the worst 1v1 or solo forwards on the Canes, if not in the NHL. So even a successful break out or "head man" to him on the break is futile. Deep down he knows that, since he never takes Shootout attempts. He needs to modify his game.