The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Eric Staal Discussion Area

I swear I had to laugh. Was not looking for this specifically, but looked at Kirk Muller's lifetime stats:

Player Team Pos 1st NHL Season Last NHL Season GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW GT OT Shots

Kirk Muller L 1984-1985 2002-2003 1,349 357 602 959 -146 1,223 134 11 47 6 5 2,792

He's a lifetime -146, which is good for #4663 all time, 1 page from the bottom.

Staal has no worries, his -30 lifetime is not even close... yet.

I'm very tired of the excuse that they haven't found the "right" complementary player for Staal. While there undoubtedly must be some basic chemisty, everybody was sure getting Erik Cole back was the solution. Not so much.

Yes, Staal needs somebody he can work with. But Eric also needs to adapt his game to his linemates. Given the vast array of very talented wingers Staal has seen over the past two years, at some point one must ask, "What's the common denominator here?"

The answer is Eric Staal, and if he's not as interested in succeeding as his linemates are, he needs to take accountability for that and turn himself around.

Edited by top-shelf-1

OK, I did see that I could bump this up. It has been mentioned, but one of the huge reasons we are winning despite a team full of AHL players, is the resurgence of Eric Staal. Last night he was a beast. Firing strong moves and dishing and just mega. That guy paired with a top winger is a 100 point guy. The last 5 games he has 9 points and is plus 7. Yes, Tlusty is playing very well, but Staal is a big part of why. And Samson? Not exactly Rick Nash.

This should be clear. Staal IS the man. JR must find him a 1st line winger.

Yeah now if we can just get him and Cam, and the rest of the guys, doing what they are doing now in October and November, we'll be on to something. Tearing it up in February/March is nice, but no pressure when you're in last place. I love the fact that they have been scoring first a lot lately. That is a big start to getting over the slow starts. It just has to carry into next season. That, I hope, is Muller's mission.

The change in Staal has been nothing short of amazing. In all the years that he has been here I do not think that he as ever played this well. The guy is dominate out there. Last night, for the first time ever ..... ever, I wanted for Eric to get out there in the shootout. Frackin post. He is playing at such a high level. Has anyone else noticed how big he looks all of a sudden or is it just me? It is a pleasure to watch him when he is on the ice. He is playing like a true All-Star. Remkin called him a "beast" I could not have said it better.

Yes, Staal IS the man and I am lovin it.

Edited by cheapseats

I think Muller has had a great influence on Staal. He can relate to him ( player, Captain, Stanley cup---and likely

some slumps during his playing time) I think Staal is finally discovering he can actually play with wingers not named

Whitney, Cole or Stillman. After all, those were the guys who trained him ! And as he and Juri have developed chemistry

we begin to see his resurgence.

Heh, I think alot of his resurgence was simple. Muller told him to stop taking on 2-3 men at the blueline.

We've never done so many drop passes upon entry ever. It's making good things happen when we have the speed through the neutral zone to make defenseman fall back enough to give the trailer space to manuever.

That guy paired with a top winger is a 100 point guy.

This should be clear. Staal IS the man. JR must find him a 1st line winger.

GREAT point. Are you hearing this, JR?

Edited by jeromeo87

Heh, I think alot of his resurgence was simple. Muller told him to stop taking on 2-3 men at the blueline.

We've never done so many drop passes upon entry ever. It's making good things happen when we have the speed through the neutral zone to make defenseman fall back enough to give the trailer space to manuever.

That, and he convinced him that he doesn't have to do it all by himself.

Let's be honest. A couple people here overreacted during Staal's slump. Anyone who thinks he is overpaid and overrated needs to look at his career numbers and realize 70 pts is his career low since his rookie season. If Staal was a free agent right now, he would be signed to a 10 year deal making 12M like Brad Richards. We are lucky to have him.

Let's be honest. A couple people here overreacted during Staal's slump. Anyone who thinks he is overpaid and overrated needs to look at his career numbers and realize 70 pts is his career low since his rookie season. If Staal was a free agent right now, he would be signed to a 10 year deal making 12M like Brad Richards. We are lucky to have him.

Funny how those people disappeared when he started to pick things up ;)

Theres 3 types of people who have disappeared and one group has reappeared

1. Canes haters who enjoy to pretend to be fans but feel the need to stir the pot to make everyone else as mad as they are.

2. Staal haters

3. Cam Ward haters who have returned for no real reason and their excuses are about as logical as ever.

I dont have a problem with Staal,sometimes I dont think he is the leader that a captain should be,especially when we are losing,but thats just from an outsiders perspective,I have no clue whats said in the locker room,or who is saying it

I think Staal has the ability to be a 50+ goal scorer(in NHL09 I had him on a line with Parise and Cole,he scored 99 goals and 147 points in one season),he just hasnt had that much help,and tends not to play has well if things are not going good.

Edited by Carolinafan85

leaders aren't made in the good times but forged from adversity. It has been a tough year for Staal but IMO when we look back this season will be the year Staal became the leader of this team.

x

leaders aren't made in the good times but forged from adversity. It has been a tough year for Staal but IMO when we look back this season will be the year Staal became the leader of this team.

x

Could't agree more. How they come out next November will be the proof. I think we will see the difference.

From "Boy prodigy to Man".

x

This could end up being the post of the season.

I think something happened to relieve some of the stress and pressure of that big ole C on his chest. I would guess Muller coming in and really getting a handle on the players is what did it... you know, that handle that slipped out of Mo's hands. I feel for Staal when he is in the dumps, but the adversity is an issue he will/must get through if he is going to continue to lead the team. I don't take anything I have said about him back, my opinion hasn't changed, but I am very happy that he is back to his old self and a little bit wiser/stronger, to boot.

But we are still going to trade Staal to Toronto, right? Tlusty is a bust (that's my crow being warmed up in the microwave). And Cam is average at best... :shakeshead:

x

I hope so,becuase how many adverse years has he had to become the leader of this team,didnt we spend most of 09-10 in last place(it was worse than this season),Staal has been through plenty of adversity with this team,true it was with Mo,who in my opinion should have fired the day after our emberassing debacle in the ECF against the Pens.

I think Staal is a great player,I just have my doubts that he wants to be a leader!!!

I hope so,becuase how many adverse years has he had to become the leader of this team,didnt we spend most of 09-10 in last place(it was worse than this season),Staal has been through plenty of adversity with this team,true it was with Mo,who in my opinion should have fired the day after our emberassing debacle in the ECF against the Pens.

I think Staal is a great player,I just have my doubts that he wants to be a leader!!!

14 game losing streak... ouch. You make a good point, but who knows when that switch clicks in a guys head. The adversity makes leaders concept is theoretical for Staal at this point. The only thing that is fact is that he is scoring again... which is good enough to be excited about at this moment (for me).

I think it was more to do with Muller, being in that position as a player, than anything else to be able to impart some experience and knowledge that is making Staal a better player and leader.

Many of us have voiced concerns about Staal being named capt over the past couple of seasons. Even though the team has had tough times until this season Staal really hasn't. His lowest goal production was 29 and his lowest points were 68. This season he had really tough going in the early season. It looks like he has fought through it and I think is now emerging as a leader. I think Muller may have a lot to do with that but it is Staal that is making it happen. I'm beginning to detect a change in his attitude in interviews but will admit this is all subjective except his play that we must all admit has improved.