The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

The Eric Staal Discussion Area

Just thought it might be worthy of a bump on this. The man is playing like a possessed beast now. If this is a result of the new coach that's reason enough for the change by itself.

The idea of this Staal paired with a Parise? Are you kidding me? Then add the Skins and Fins second line and our Sutter plus shut down and some scoring third line and a decent defense? Wow. Oh and Ward and Boucher tandem? I'm getting lightheaded.

Anyway, anybody want to bash Staal now?

Where is our boy melee ray? Everyday he commented on a thread about how he wanted Staal gone. He was going through a funk but is now back to form and that form is an elite NHL center.

leaders aren't made in the good times but forged from adversity. It has been a tough year for Staal but IMO when we look back this season will be the year Staal became the leader of this team.

Could't agree more. How they come out next November will be the proof. I think we will see the difference.

From "Boy prodigy to Man".

This could end up being the post of the season.

This did end up being the post of the season :)

Prorated over an entire season his current streak of flat out awesomeness would entail a 100+ point season. Trade him while his value is high! Ha just a joke folks.

our capt, well he shows the emotion on the ice, slams the glass after a goal[ i love that]!If he isnt a ra-ra guy in dressing room, well who knows, but whos in there to know that, but in interviews, hes a bit low key, but U know he wants to be fire and ice out there on ice.. meleeray is visiting other places..Parise feeding staal, would be like having london broil and shrimp :)

Prorated over an entire season his current streak of flat out awesomeness would entail a 100+ point season. Trade him while his value is high! Ha just a joke folks.

Wonder what we could get for Staal and Ward?

:sarcasm:

A few interesting stats on the Captain via Mike Sundheim:

Eric Staal since the All-Star Break:

23 games, 12g, 18a (30p), +10.

Prior to All-Star:

51 games, 11g, 25a (36p), -23.

I was thinking about this thread but thought it had been locked. Appropriate to bring it back up, Remkin. It is great to see Staal really put it together and show what he can do and is capable of being despite a lack of a true "first line winger" (though Tlusty is sure making a case for himself). The beating he gave the former Thrashers was the best I've seen from him since Whitney left.

I do have to disagree with one thing though. While his recent play has been great, it needs to continue at the start of next season. Being a hero in March with nothing on the line is nice, but not enough. Right now you can point to the old coach for Staal's early season woes, and more correctly to Muller for really helping Staal get back to form mentally. If this early season slump trend continues, though, it is going to be hard for this team to ever be true contenders. I am cautiously optimistic, but I have been disappointed before.

I can't say for certain, but we might be able to get the entire Blue Jackets roster.

I laughed..really hard at this hah

But feel bad as well, it's not a team I hate enough to rag on.

Babies. It's the babies.

What are Eric's stats pre and post baby?

Congrats to Eric and his growing family. But I ask, maybe you guys can take off next year, your next Cup year? That OK?

Edited by wxray1

I was thinking about this thread but thought it had been locked. Appropriate to bring it back up, Remkin. It is great to see Staal really put it together and show what he can do and is capable of being despite a lack of a true "first line winger" (though Tlusty is sure making a case for himself). The beating he gave the former Thrashers was the best I've seen from him since Whitney left.

I do have to disagree with one thing though. While his recent play has been great, it needs to continue at the start of next season. Being a hero in March with nothing on the line is nice, but not enough. Right now you can point to the old coach for Staal's early season woes, and more correctly to Muller for really helping Staal get back to form mentally. If this early season slump trend continues, though, it is going to be hard for this team to ever be true contenders. I am cautiously optimistic, but I have been disappointed before.

This is exactly what several of us have been saying for going on four years now. Despite some of the other posters' attempts to marginalize us for saying it (here in the land of free speech!), the proof is in the stats: Anybody looking objectively (<== key word) at Staal's numbers over the past few years from October through January but still calling that "a slow start" is being overly generous.

That people point this out doesn't make them "fair weather fans" or "negative" fans. Our money and cheers support this team on gameday just like everyone else's. But what it DOES make us is realists. If others would prefer to ignore facts and live in dreamland - a.k.a., the NHL basement - that's certainly their prerogative. But for some of us, it's just a bunch more interesting to focus on what it's going to take to WIN, and in this league it takes more than 2 months of hard work.

I know this may come as a surprise to some but its very possible to post negative opinions without provoking others. When people post something, back it up with why and actually try an engage is discussion its amazing how smoothly things go around here.

Absolutely a valid discussion and Staal's slow starts have been mentioned in other threads. The notoriously slow starts for this franchise, with the exception of 2005-06, will be the next biggest challenge to overcome for our new coach. We've seen over an over again that the playoffs can easily be made or lost in those early months of the season and once a team falls behind, its very hard to play catch up all season. Staal and Ward are the engines that drive this team and if they get off to slow starts, so does the team.

I too am cautiously optimistic this problem will be corrected. Muller has slowly but surely tackled many of this team's mental and physical issues, I would guess being ready to start the season will be a priority this off season.

Edited by TSA

This is exactly what several of us have been saying for going on four years now. Despite some of the other posters' attempts to marginalize us for saying it (here in the land of free speech!), the proof is in the stats: Anybody looking objectively (<== key word) at Staal's numbers over the past few years from October through January but still calling that "a slow start" is being overly generous.

That people point this out doesn't make them "fair weather fans" or "negative" fans. Our money and cheers support this team on gameday just like everyone else's. But what it DOES make us is realists. If others would prefer to ignore facts and live in dreamland - a.k.a., the NHL basement - that's certainly their prerogative. But for some of us, it's just a bunch more interesting to focus on what it's going to take to WIN, and in this league it takes more than 2 months of hard work.

How about posting up those stats on Staal's numbers in Oct-Dec. vs. January-April for the last 6 or 7 seasons. I'm curious to see just how his "slow" starts look like on paper.

I'm not suggesting you are wrong, but at least back it up and give us something to discuss.

Edited by coastal_caniac

How about posting up those stats on Staal's numbers in Oct-Dec. vs. January-April for the last 6 or 7 seasons. I'm curious to see just how his "slow" starts look like on paper.

I'm not suggesting you are wrong, but at least back it up and give us something to discuss.

I'm glad you asked, coastal, because the numbers show that slow starts tell only half the Staal story. Many of us have also described him as streaky or inconsistent. We've wondered why he seems to "disappear" for long stretches. The stats show this to be genuine a problem, and one with a direct relationship to the 'Canes playoff appearances.

I looked at Staal's stats back to 2008, which I think is appropriate because this is the time during which the transition from Roddy to Staal began and became complete. In both this season and the '08-'09 campaign, Staal had nearly identical slow starts: 37 points in 52 games this season and 36 in 51 in '08-09 (October thru January in both cases).

In the season in which he was named captain ('10-'11), he had the opposite problem: a great start (52 points in 50 games) and a bad finish (21 in 31, February thru April). (This was especially disappointing for many of us because you'd think the captaincy, announced January 10, would have led to a boost, not a letdown.)

Compare each of these season to 2009-'10, and the difference becomes really clear: Staal started 43 in 42 (despite missing about seven games due to injury) and finished just as strong, with 27 in 28. And guess what? We made the playoffs.

So in the past four years, it has been only the year where Eric's first half was as good as his second - even in spite of an injury absence - that we saw post-season action. I know the excuse-makers are waiting in the wings to say he's struggled because he needs a "top line" wing, he was worried about his brother, the last coach sucked, he does the little things that don't always show up on the scoresheet, he had a hangnail - whatever. And I'm not for even one moment suggesting that all the 'Canes deficits are Eric's responsibility; this is a team game.

But remember a couple of years ago when we missed the playoffs on the last day? Well, when I look around the league, the great captains seem to just go out and perform night in and night out, as if every game was a playoff-clinching game - and in so doing, they raise the level of everybody on the team. And the reason is simply this: When you're sitting in line at the first tee in mid-April, looking back over your season, you realize that every game IS a playoff-cliniching game.

I'm glad you asked, coastal, because the numbers show that slow starts tell only half the Staal story. Many of us have also described him as streaky or inconsistent. We've wondered why he seems to "disappear" for long stretches. The stats show this to be genuine a problem, and one with a direct relationship to the 'Canes playoff appearances.

I looked at Staal's stats back to 2008, which I think is appropriate because this is the time during which the transition from Roddy to Staal began and became complete. In both this season and the '08-'09 campaign, Staal had nearly identical slow starts: 37 points in 52 games this season and 36 in 51 in '08-09 (October thru January in both cases).

In the season in which he was named captain ('10-'11), he had the opposite problem: a great start (52 points in 50 games) and a bad finish (21 in 31, February thru April). (This was especially disappointing for many of us because you'd think the captaincy, announced January 10, would have led to a boost, not a letdown.)

Compare each of these season to 2009-'10, and the difference becomes really clear: Staal started 43 in 42 (despite missing about seven games due to injury) and finished just as strong, with 27 in 28. And guess what? We made the playoffs.

So in the past four years, it has been only the year where Eric's first half was as good as his second - even in spite of an injury absence - that we saw post-season action. I know the excuse-makers are waiting in the wings to say he's struggled because he needs a "top line" wing, he was worried about his brother, the last coach sucked, he does the little things that don't always show up on the scoresheet, he had a hangnail - whatever. And I'm not for even one moment suggesting that all the 'Canes deficits are Eric's responsibility; this is a team game.

But remember a couple of years ago when we missed the playoffs on the last day? Well, when I look around the league, the great captains seem to just go out and perform night in and night out, as if every game was a playoff-clinching game - and in so doing, they raise the level of everybody on the team. And the reason is simply this: When you're sitting in line at the first tee in mid-April, looking back over your season, you realize that every game IS a playoff-cliniching game.

Topshelf, first, thanks for taking the time to post up those numbers. I wouldn't disagree based on what you posted that Staal tends to be a streaky player.

But, with that said, I don't think you can use those stats to infer that this was the primary cause of us missing the playoffs (if that's your point) in those two years. A contributing factor, probably.

Like you said, hockey is a team game, and it requires many moving parts consistently working in unison to make the NHL playoffs. You can call them excuses if you like, but there were certainly just as many contributing factors other than Eric Staal that led to golfing in April.

I don't discount your concerns in any way, so let's hope with the coaching change, more stable ownership, and a willingness from ownership to actually fill the roster with some deeper talent, it will help the Captain to be a more consistent point producer, and be a contributing factor in getting back to the playoffs.

Topshelf, first, thanks for taking the time to post up those numbers. I wouldn't disagree based on what you posted that Staal tends to be a streaky player.

But, with that said, I don't think you can use those stats to infer that this was the primary cause of us missing the playoffs (if that's your point) in those two years. A contributing factor, probably.

Like you said, hockey is a team game, and it requires many moving parts consistently working in unison to make the NHL playoffs. You can call them excuses if you like, but there were certainly just as many contributing factors other than Eric Staal that led to golfing in April.

I don't discount your concerns in any way, so let's hope with the coaching change, more stable ownership, and a willingness from ownership to actually fill the roster with some deeper talent, it will help the Captain to be a more consistent point producer, and be a contributing factor in getting back to the playoffs.

Well said, that's sure what I'm hoping for!

I think it's hard to talk about Staal's difficulties without taking into consideration the level of talent that he has had to play with, especially this year. I looked at tonight's lineup, and I think every forward with the exception of Brent, Dwyer, and Joslin (yes, he's listed as a forward tonight) has started a game on Staal's wing at some point this year. There is also Poni and a couple of Checkers that have made appearances there too. For a team that seems to be lacking a top line winger, it looks like we have a team full of them :sarcasmalert:

I think it's hard to talk about Staal's difficulties without taking into consideration the level of talent that he has had to play with, especially this year. I looked at tonight's lineup, and I think every forward with the exception of Brent, Dwyer, and Joslin (yes, he's listed as a forward tonight) has started a game on Staal's wing at some point this year. There is also Poni and a couple of Checkers that have made appearances there too. For a team that seems to be lacking a top line winger, it looks like we have a team full of them :sarcasmalert:

Compare and contrast to, oh, the Penguins.

'nuff said.