The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MeleeRayRay

A new captain?

Not that anyone would have the answer to this, but could the impending birth of his second child be affecting Staal's mental state? Maybe they are having complications with the pregnancy. Just a thought.

Either way, Staal will get a new clean slate to work with tonight. And like caniac-1-1 said, the turnaround in effort for this team will hinge on whether Staal buys into Muller and his system.

You don't give up on your captain after 2 bad months. leadership starts at the top. something was not right in that locker room, Muller is here to try and make it right. Staal has put up 70 plus points a year, stanley cup, allstar mvp, gold medal, etc... If you look back thru any great scorers career their is always one or two seasons that sucked for them.

it's totally obvious who the "fair weather/what have you done for me lately?" fans are. You people are ridiculous.

Please clarify with whom you are referring to.

In the case that it was directed at my post, I have not given up on Staal, but I am hoping that Muller's presence can turn him around. I do believe that Staal's success will also hinge on whether or not he buys into Muller and his system, else we may still see him continue to underachieve. Mo wasn't THE problem in all of this, merely one of them. The sooner the guys put forth 60-minute efforts consistently the better. Again, I'm hoping Muller can motivate this team to better results.

If Staal would give up the "C" I think he would be the one have to do it. Resign him self from it. I would like to see other than Staal but maybe Gleason, or LaRose as Captain.

What is everyone's thoughts on giving the C to Kaberle to ignite his scoring and lead the team by example with his solid play so far this season?

:crossfingers::notworthy::thumbsup::applause::yippee:

Best...Idea...Ever!*

*This is why we need a sarcasm smiley.

A lot of the discussions about Staal's problems keep flying around his lack of quality linemates. A true leader would be showing 100% effort regardless of whose on the line with him. The results might still not be there, but the effort should always be there. With Staal, it's not. He should definitely take a page from Skinner's book and take notice of how that boy gives it all just about everytime he's on the ice and jumps back into the thick of it whenever he encounters obstacles. This is not a problem that's unique to this year either. Staal has a history of going through extended periods of uneplained funk most years. There are just too many times where he looks tired, listless, or just plain lost out there, skating around in circles waiting for someone to get him the puck. Relentless is what the 2005-2006 mantra was and that's what Staal as a leader needs to show if he is to be the Captain and face of the Hurricanes. Hopefully, the new coach will honor his word and demand accountability from everyone and then come up with appropriate repercussions when it is not shown.

A lot of the discussions about Staal's problems keep flying around his lack of quality linemates. A true leader would be showing 100% effort regardless of whose on the line with him. The results might still not be there, but the effort should always be there. With Staal, it's not. He should definitely take a page from Skinner's book and take notice of how that boy gives it all just about everytime he's on the ice and jumps back into the thick of it whenever he encounters obstacles. This is not a problem that's unique to this year either. Staal has a history of going through extended periods of uneplained funk most years. There are just too many times where he looks tired, listless, or just plain lost out there, skating around in circles waiting for someone to get him the puck. Relentless is what the 2005-2006 mantra was and that's what Staal as a leader needs to show if he is to be the Captain and face of the Hurricanes. Hopefully, the new coach will honor his word and demand accountability from everyone and then come up with appropriate repercussions when it is not shown.

That 2006 season Staal had an elite Power Forward(pre-neck injury) playing with him and a younger Cory Stillman. I think the quality of his line mates has something to do with this funk.

That 2006 season Staal had an elite Power Forward(pre-neck injury) playing with him and a younger Cory Stillman. I think the quality of his line mates has something to do with this funk.

Effort should be there every night and noticible no matter who you're playing with especially if the discussion is about leadership qualities.

Maybe we should have given his linemates more of his cash. I am still in awe of JR's rational that he couldn't afford Cole, but he could pay a washed up Kaberle what he's getting (especially after our experience with his brother).

He's talking about the post-cup Frank, the buy-out Frank. I wish we had a young Stillman now. I'd even settle for last season's Stillman.

Folks - Its wonderful that we dont "do" flaming on these boards - check out any other teams and you will see how lucky and classy we are as a fan group and thats one of the things I love most about being a caniac. I think this is a great "over beer" question, worthy of a thread even if you disagree ... so - easy on the digs .... I wouldnt have given the C to Staal at the time and said so on these boards but now he is I dont think we should take it away from him even if others have possibly better leadership skills - it sends the wrong message to a challenged team. However there are other ways to raise the profiles of the "A"'s which will help. How do you define an elite player? I would say one who any team would want ... in my mind we now have 4 elite players - Staal, Ward, Skinner and now Sutter - he spent time this off season with Brindy and it shows in his attitude and presence - we are lucky to have him and he will be a C one day ..... but not in this franchise now ....

I do wonder why in the NHL it is common to make your best player captain and I'm not sure why ... great players do not necessarily make great captains - they are paid to do other things ... imho .. if they are great leaders thats a huge bonus but its not a reqiurement for me ....more media distractions more time away from the day job ...these days I see the C is a millstone not a milestone ....

Maybe we should have given his linemates more of his cash. I am still in awe of JR's rational that he couldn't afford Cole, but he could pay a washed up Kaberle what he's getting (especially after our experience with his brother).

I think JR wasn't willing to go to a 4th year and a NTC with Cole.

I do wonder why in the NHL it is common to make your best player captain and I'm not sure why ... great players do not necessarily make great captains - they are paid to do other things ... imho .. if they are great leaders thats a huge bonus but its not a reqiurement for me ....more media distractions more time away from the day job ...these days I see the C is a millstone not a milestone ....

I believe it is the Pittsburgh's of the world who give the C to an 18 year old that are responsible for this mess. It happens there, then all elite players think they should get it, regardless of their leadership capabilities or if they are ready, and it's a slap in the face if they don't.

In my world, the "C" would actually be a lot more volatile (some teams do this) and actually be voted on by the players on a periodic basis. The thought that it is a title for life is ridiculous. Who the players think the team leader is, IS the team leader. When this doesn't match the actual guy wearing the "C" I think you are asking for trouble. If the players actually think Staal is the team leader, he should wear it. I don't see how we can know what they think as they won't publicly say he isn't a leader even if they think so.

Good points sipower and hag. Thing is, who else would you have given it to at the time? Consider contract situations, experience, etc. I thought Gleason would have been a good choice, but he seems to be struggling with the leadership mantle more than Staal. Cole or Whitney would have been good options but JR obviously didn't have long term plans for either of them. Not much else to choose from. One could have a whole thread on why there is a leadership gap on this team. For now, I return to my original post - the change isn't going to happen.

I'm glad some of you folks weren't my parents years ago. I've gone through a bad month or two in my life. You guys would have sat me out at the curb.

Lighten up folks. One would have to think that Staal is going to get the monkey off his back sooner rather than later. I think having a coaching change and having Brindy taking a more active role on the bench will help. None of us knows what goes on behind closed doors and exactly what kind of leader Staal is. I'd like to think my team would have my back if I were going through a similar slump.

*This is why we need a sarcasm smiley.

Ask and you shall receive

:sarcasm::sarcasmalert:

I am still a fairly new hockey fan so my perceptions may be way off; I see players such as Rutu, Skinner, and Larose seem to give it their all each shift and then I see Staal taking it way too easy on too many shifts. Don't know what his prescense is in the locker room but in the media he doesn't come off as the team's leader. For far too many people perception is reality

Not sure exactly what you mean. How does a true team leader come off in the media?

quotes to the media about the team's effort/play

quotes to the media about the team's effort/play

His personality doesn't make it any better. He shows NO ENERGY on the ice or off the ice. I was against him being captain when the talk started and it should have gone to Gleason. Staal is NOT A LEADER. You want this guy to be the face of the team? Are you kidding me? No SKILLS, No ENERGY, No Leadership, I don't know what Rutherford was thinking...lol....this guy has ALWAYS depended upon others to make him look good. He is a very awkward human being with his physical stature as a tall, lanky guy with a long reach. If you ever watch him trying to stick-handle and bring the puck over the blue line...well....that tells you everything you need to know. $7,500,000 a year for this guy? Rutherford made a HUGE mistake.....not to mention some other off season moves that he should be questioned on.

His personality doesn't make it any better. He shows NO ENERGY on the ice or off the ice. I was against him being captain when the talk started and it should have gone to Gleason. Staal is NOT A LEADER. You want this guy to be the face of the team? Are you kidding me? No SKILLS, No ENERGY, No Leadership, I don't know what Rutherford was thinking...lol....this guy has ALWAYS depended upon others to make him look good. He is a very awkward human being with his physical stature as a tall, lanky guy with a long reach. If you ever watch him trying to stick-handle and bring the puck over the blue line...well....that tells you everything you need to know. $7,500,000 a year for this guy? Rutherford made a HUGE mistake.....not to mention some other off season moves that he should be questioned on.

Fully agree with your observations except the $7.5M needs expansion. His cap hit this season is actually $8.25M because his original bonus is still being spread across the early years. His next FOUR contract seasons (he's not a UFA until 2016-17) starting with 2012-13 are 8.5 - 9.25 - 9.25 - 9.5. Sid's this year and next is 9 - 7.5 (2012-13 is his final contract year) while Ovi's is 9 - 9 - 9 - followed by a string of 10s. Brother Jordie is 4.5 - 4.5 (UFA in 2013-14).

Draw your own conclusions. And as a recommendation for those that think Eric is just in a "funk" or "slump"; avoid the temptation to just watch the puck and "local" play and watch Staal exclusively (what the heck, the games don't much matter anymore anyhow!) during his shifts. Again, draw your own conclusions. If this appears to be be a captain's playing effort, display of elite skills or even just a player TRYING to get out of a slump, then I've never watched a hockey game. And by the way, I've been an avid hockey fan since the days of Eddie/Gilles and the GAG line.

For those interested and not yet aware, all the NHL salaries, contract details for all the teams are at http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/CAR?expand=true&year=2012, be sure to use the "expand" selection in the header area to see all the future years available as well.

I