The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MeleeRayRay

A new captain?

Each Captain the Canes have had over their years had different ways to communicate what they wanted out of their team-mates.

Kevin Dineen, 1997–98

Keith Primeau, 1998–99

Ron Francis, 1999–2004

Rod Brind'Amour, 2005–10

Eric Staal, 2010–present

Each Captain listed above had their own style. Francis wasn't an emotional type; talked in the locker-room and on the bench, but Brind'Amour was a yeller, an emotional leader.

Plus all of this talk about JR trading Staal. Unless Staal wants out of Carolina, its NOT GONNA HAPPEN (NO TRADE CLAUSE)! JR needs to concentrate on finding a line-mate that will compliment Staal and start bringing up these Checkers players and see what we have.

Edited by hopper915

1. Your goalie can't do anything for your bench from the crease.

2. Goalie can't talk to the ref because he can't officially wear the C.

3. He can't wear the C per NHL rules.

4. We just watched this fail in Vancouver whose actually a good team so why the heck would we try this here?

So any real candidates and don't say Skinner and Sutter when at least 90% of the gripes seem to include because "Staal got it too young he just couldn't handle it."

I wasn't suggesting Cam be captain----I was agreeing he was the only one remotely "qualified". Skinner/Sutter too young,

Allen, Rutuu are RFA's. The Juice is not having the season he has had in the past. Rosie is the pest---not the captain

So who is left ? Back to Staal.

I didn't like the way Staal was named captain to begin with. The message seemed to be "well, he's gonna get it one day anyway, so why not now". There should be some kind of application process for something like this... you can't just dump a lot of added responsibility and leadership chores on a guy who is the face of the franchise or someone who scores a lot. Then, there were a few people who would have been better suited for it (namingly Whitney and Cole). Now, there aren't. I don't want to say that Staal is a bad captain or insult him in any way, but he just doesn't seem to be the right man for that job - he was the most popular man for the job. That is the problem with this fad in the NHL - it has become a popularity contest and not a position of substance. It's like a reward, not a job.

All said and done - you can't replace him unless you have someone better suited for the job and I just don't see anyone like that now. I think Sutter is the best available candidate if you were to replace Staal. Sutter because he is hockey smart, he has a level head, he has it in his blood and he's responsible on and off the ice. Sutter has a league of advisers in his life, considering all his uncles and his father. I think he'd be an excellent captain. Staal would have been free to just focus on his role on the team as a scoring center on the top line. But, once it was given to him, this organization probably can't take it away. The only way it would work is if Staal laid it at Sutter's feet on his own.

I'm not advocating a change of captain, but my vote for the next person on this team to wear a letter on his jersey is Jay Harrison. This guy seems to have something that is lacking on this team. I'd be willing to bet that Gleason will go at the trade deadline. Gleason has always been one of my "guys", but I can read the writing on the wall.

I'm not advocating a change of captain, but my vote for the next person on this team to wear a letter on his jersey is Jay Harrison. This guy seems to have something that is lacking on this team. I'd be willing to bet that Gleason will go at the trade deadline. Gleason has always been one of my "guys", but I can read the writing on the wall.

This. And, finally, we have now have this back on topic. IMO, Harrison would be a great choice to fill an "A".

We don't have anyone who seems to deserve to be a captain, so there shouldn't be one. Simply hand out three As a night and rotate them through the lineup once every two weeks until someone shows that they deserve to get to hold onto it.

yeah I agree with that. I like that idea. There is a severe lack of anyone who right now seems to be a valid candidate. Once a player had the opportunity they may step up. We can't know how anyone else would be until we give them a chance. All we know for sure is things rae not working as they are now

We don't have anyone who seems to deserve to be a captain, so there shouldn't be one. Simply hand out three As a night and rotate them through the lineup once every two weeks until someone shows that they deserve to get to hold onto it.

yeah I agree with that. I like that idea. There is a severe lack of anyone who right now seems to be a valid candidate. Once a player had the opportunity they may step up. We can't know how anyone else would be until we give them a chance. All we know for sure is things rae not working as they are now

Can you guys share what ever insight you have on what goes on in the locker room and behind closed doors? I know we all have opinions, but some people seem to know exactly what is going on.

I'd take Staal any day over a Boy Scout leadership jamboree every couple of games.

Can you guys share what ever insight you have on what goes on in the locker room and behind closed doors? I know we all have opinions, but some people seem to know exactly what is going on.

yes gladly i can share two sound facts. first is that eric staal has said himself that he is not vocal and leads on the ice instead.

second. it's obvious that if anything is going on in the locker room and "behind closed doors", despite staal himself saying that that is not his leadership style, it is not working. as can be evidenced by the results on the ice each night. we don't think, we know. these are two facts and a valid deductive conclusion can be drawn. that's how we do actually know what is going on.

Edited by MeleeRayRay

yes gladly i can share two sound facts. first is that eric staal has said himself that he is not vocal and leads on the ice instead.

second. it's obvious that if anything is going on in the locker room and "behind closed doors", despite staal himself saying that that is not his leadership style, it is not working. as can be evidenced by the results on the ice each night. we don't think, we know. these are two facts and a valid deductive conclusion can be drawn. that's how we do actually know what is going on.

You guys are saying that there is nobody on the team that is qualified.

Seems like Brindy was the same type of leader (not vocal and leads on the ice). It's easy to point fingers when things aren't going well.

I'd take Staal any day over a Boy Scout leadership jamboree every couple of games.

Living in the DC area I watched the Capitals try the rotating A's a couple of seasons ago and that was a failure - no reason to think it would not fail here. Back then they did not have anyone ready to step up and Overchkin was too young and still dealing with communications/language issues. Now they have Ovie as captain - the results the past two season in the playoffs speak volumes on that team's leadership. This season they have a captain with only 24 points 33 games into the season, without any drive, who cursed out his coach (now former) when being benched late in a game, taking a $9.5 million cap hit this year, surrounded by a more talented team with a higher payroll than what we have with the Canes. Staal might not be the answer for everyone. I would take him over Ovie and any talk of "leadership by committee."

Whew! OK, scary topic/opening post. To those of you defending Staal, whatever the reason - mine would be his innate personal leadership qualities & his undeniably exceptional skill - thank God. To those of you lightweights ready to flip him for the latest flavor of the month: that's how you lose a franchise. Fan loyalty. Learn it. Feel it. Be it.

Couldn't believe the stuff I was reading - some of it.

I'm from the North East. Yep. NY native, school in MA. Rangers/Bruins fan my whole life. Those are some fans (yeah, yeah - loud, obnoxious, profane, I know - my cities!) and they're sold out even when the teams have a STRING of bad years. They will not be losing their teams any time soon. Look at Atlanta. I became a Canes fan only in the last few years, and it's because they are a uniquely great group of people. No one ever talks about that team without mentioning their character. They don't grandstand, they play clean and they are good sportsmen. Eric Staal embodies those qualities. He is genuine. We should be proud of him. That reputation is hard to get and easy to lose. It's going to be a real test of this community to see whether or not the fans will continue to support our team through what may even be a whole bad year. It happens. The group on this site are going to be the most involved & invested. Whoever it was that said this topic was fine for a dinner table discussion (or something to that effect) is right. Throwing what-ifs around is great, but sheesh, maybe keep in mind how callous, even vicious some of your comment are?

I myself think that the leadership should be on the ice and not the locker room. Lead by example on the Ice and you will have/get respect in the "ROOM".. And as of right now I am not seeing that example on the ice by anyone!

AND AGAIN ITS JUST MY OPINION!

You guys are saying that there is nobody on the team that is qualified.

Seems like Brindy was the same type of leader (not vocal and leads on the ice). It's easy to point fingers when things aren't going well.

I've always thought Brindy was more fire and brimstone, emotional type of leader and Ronnie being the quiet, thinking "one".

This discussion would not be going on if he was not mired in a season slump. And I am going to point the finger at one person, Cole. He's been pretty much the only player Staal had any connection with on the team. When Cole left the first time, Staal did have a minor slump, which was covered up by Whitney playing on the same line. Now that Staal has the load to bear on his own, he is not handling it well. Oh, btw, Cole is leading the Habs in goals with 14 and is 2nd in points with 27.

We can point fingers at anyone on this team. What it really boils down to is this is the rebuilding season we Canes fans expected LAST YEAR! They overachieved, and had a really good mix of veterans and youth. A couple bad moves in the off-season, add to the fact that Skinner is out indefinitely, a coaching change and we have a team eerily similar to 2003-04 season where we had no 20 goal-season player and our late great "Czech Condor" was our best offensive threat, leading the team in goals(19), assists(26) and points(45).

its STAALS team lets give him a lil time people muller startin to get boys pointed in right direction, who knows what will happen after new year keep the faith people!

This is Staal's team. The only other person I would give the C to would be Ward. The only reason Eric is not producing is because he is playing with players like laRose on his line. And people wonder why he isn't producing... I blame Maurice.

Look, I know Staal is having a year to forget, and I'm sure that it's not entirely due to losing Cole (but that was tragic), but seriously. Look at our first line.

LaRose-Staal-Bowman?

Are you kidding me? This team is so utterly bereft of top line talent that it is hard to really fathom how far we have fallen from our Cup team.

The need for one solid first liner to go with Staal has been blatantly obvious for years now. Yet we let Cole go and then tried to replace him with castoffs. Nice. How's that working out?

Getting Jussi way back when was the last great non-draft move JR has made. Since the cup it's been a downward trajectory with the one blip being the improbable playoff run under Mo. This year's offseason debacle just accelerated things downward. Maybe long term for the better, but not great G.M.'ing so far.

The playoffs are not happening. Lets see what our kids can or cannot do, dip down (and pop up in the draft order) and get an elite guy (JR has been drafting a bit better lately) and then see once and for all if JR can actually make some good moves near the top of the line up, the way he once picked up J. Williams, Stillman, Whitney, Cullen, etc.

If not, any good GM's not working out there?

Edited by remkin

The playoffs are not happening. Lets see what our kids can or cannot do, dip down (and pop up in the draft order) and get an elite guy (JR has been drafting a bit better lately) and then see once and for all if JR can actually make some good moves near the top of the line up, the way he once picked up J. Williams, Stillman, Whitney, Cullen, etc.

williams,whitney,stillman,cullen,cole, the 5 biggest mistakes we ever made. If we still had all 5 of them we'd be a contender and whitney or Stillman would be our captain. don't know why these guys were ever traded, and we have nothing, i mean nothing to show for it. imagine these guys playing with staal, skinner, and sutter.

williams,whitney,stillman,cullen,cole, the 5 biggest mistakes we ever made. If we still had all 5 of them we'd be a contender and whitney or Stillman would be our captain. don't know why these guys were ever traded, and we have nothing, i mean nothing to show for it. imagine these guys playing with staal, skinner, and sutter.

I was hoping that Stillman would be brought back. Don't sign one of the interchangeable forwards that were signed over the summer and substitute Stillman. Of course, it would have depended if he was interested in playing another season. I think the team could have benefited from his experience and Staal from his playmaking.

Trading Williams wasn't a bad move in that it brought back Cole. Williams couldn't stay healthy and JR traded him when he had a broken leg and Cole was healthy.