The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MeleeRayRay

A new captain?

20 lbs is alot of weight, he might be able to power people more but I think your going to see a significant impact on speed and stamina adding that much weight.

Most Canes players have been "underweight" in recent years. There have been a few exceptions, but how many times have you heard someone say or thought that Staal and Sutter both needed to gain at least 15 pounds? I think what were slowly seeing is that Pete's training methods are coming up short.

Next we will blame the equipment managers, ice manager, stormy and finally the janitorial staff.

Oh come on now,,how can it be the janitors fault our season is in the toilet",,,lol They don't make the mess they just clean up after!!ALL IN FUN!

Wow, this thread has gotten crazy. heard so much about "Akwardness" and other random comments like faiweather this fairweather that. Heres the deal. Ive been a fan of this orginazation, Im not gonna say team im saying ORGINAZATION for 16 plus years. Been following the team since they were the Hartford Whalers. Seen alot of great players come and go. Its a fact that Staal is slumping, arguments aside. Its also a fact that Staal is not ready to be the leader of this team right now. Has anyone ever heard of the word Vacant?!! No one on this team deserves it right now. Staal needs to re-earn this title which would give him a renewed sense of achievment and hopefully get him outta this funk. He has no reason to fight, long term high paying contract with a no trade clause, the "C" give him a reason. Sure line chemistry def can affect players but come on. He dosent hustle he POUTS non stop like a 5 year old after a bad shift, he plays like hes a one man line and as soon as he charges over the blue line hes easily stopped or loses the puck. He needs a reality check. He can play the game we have all seen that. He just needs to find himself again. He needs players to back him up cause its pretty obv that taking the "youthful" approach has failed horidly. But all that aside if he dosent start to lead the team it should be time for him to go. Somewhere along the line he became what they call over rated and his name dosent stand up to the hype as of lately. When your 2nd year player in Skinner is powering through D man showing great promise and leadership and playing like a vet showing up your star night in and night out there is a problem. Im all for him staying here but he dosent deserve the C RIGHT NOW not to say he wont once hes in a better place.

Edited by Kopes2718

Wow, this thread has gotten crazy. heard so much about "Akwardness" and other random comments like faiweather this fairweather that. Heres the deal. Ive been a fan of this orginazation, Im not gonna say team im saying ORGINAZATION for 16 plus years. Been following the team since they were the Hartford Whalers. Seen alot of great players come and go. Its a fact that Staal is slumping, arguments aside. Its also a fact that Staal is not ready to be the leader of this team right now. Has anyone ever heard of the word Vacant?!! No one on this team deserves it right now. Staal needs to re-earn this title which would give him a renewed sense of achievment and hopefully get him outta this funk. He has no reason to fight, long term high paying contract with a no trade clause, the "C" give him a reason. Sure line chemistry def can affect players but come on. He dosent hustle he POUTS non stop like a 5 year old after a bad shift, he plays like hes a one man line and as soon as he charges over the blue line hes easily stopped or loses the puck. He needs a reality check. He can play the game we have all seen that. He just needs to find himself again. He needs players to back him up cause its pretty obv that taking the "youthful" approach has failed horidly. But all that aside if he dosent start to lead the team it should be time for him to go. Somewhere along the line he became what they call over rated and his name dosent stand up to the hype as of lately. When your 2nd year player in Skinner is powering through D man showing great promise and leadership and playing like a vet showing up your star night in and night out there is a problem. Im all for him staying here but he dosent deserve the C RIGHT NOW not to say he wont once hes in a better place.

very well said kopes and welcome to the forums!

I concur. Your points are right on target. Also, I don't think Eric is showing either the leadership, energy, or effort that his astronomical salary should generate. In a small market, with a self restrictive budget, his share of avaialable money means he needs to produce even more than if he was in a larger market where more talent can be hired to pick up some of the responsibilities. He just does not have the leadership skills that will help motivate the team, especially when he struggles so much trying to find his own motivation.

Most Canes players have been "underweight" in recent years. There have been a few exceptions, but how many times have you heard someone say or thought that Staal and Sutter both needed to gain at least 15 pounds? I think what were slowly seeing is that Pete's training methods are coming up short.

you need to change your icon from Must Go to Has Gone :yippee:

Wow, this thread has gotten crazy....

I find all this snake oil being peddled pretty entertaining. Doesn't look like a lot of people are buying though, no matter how confident they sound about their concoctions.

Nice to have another Whaler "fan" on board.

I felt Staal was too young when he got it - I would have given it to Whitney, and Skinner is certainly not ready.

It is not a age thing, look around the league there are young guy leading everywhere!

Edited by Canesnut

well people all mentally age differently. although others in the league at eric's age may be ready to lead, eric staal is just not mentally ready.

Oh wise one, would you please elaborate on that?

Staal went 70% in the FO circle (and is improving each game) and has 8 points in the last 4 games. Strip him of the C and trade him, what a cancer to this team.

Where are you guys when good things happen or is it only fun to complain?

sarcasmalert.gif

If there is overwhelming support from the majority on these boards, can a thread be closed? I'm tired of this ridiculous topic.

I agree. The new year brings a new perspective and this topic is very last year. Put this thread to rest.

If there is overwhelming support from the majority on these boards, can a thread be closed? I'm tired of this ridiculous topic.

Can't close it yet, I'm still waiting for the psycho-analysis on Staal and why he isn't mentally ready to be captain.

Oh wise one...still waiting.

Edited by super_dave_1

I agree. The new year brings a new perspective and this topic is very last year. Put this thread to rest.

Agree. Eric is a competitive, strong-silent type who is having the worst offensive year of his career. His plus/minus sucks but his defensive positioning has improved. And his faceoff wins have really skyrocketed from losing everyone to winning better than half ... and the important ones too. He used to live next door to us and we got to know him, so there is a very high bias here.

Still waiting patiently for a psycho-analysis of Eric Staal and his level of maturity.

Oh wise one, please share your wisdom.

Edited by super_dave_1

Since it doesn't look like the OP has any interest in answering, might as well let this thread die its own death and drop off the page. Lets just say this thread hasn't been one of our better ones. ;)

Since it doesn't look like the OP has any interest in answering, might as well let this thread die its own death and drop off the page. Lets just say this thread hasn't been one of our better ones. ;)

Can't blame a feller for trying to have a little fun, now can you?

Put a fork in it.

what is it you all wanted me to answer? refresh my memory. if it's about who to replace him i responded on that a few pages back i forget where exactly but i can dig it up if there is interest let me know