The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Canes Annouce New Ownership Partners

Hurricanes Announce new Ownership Partners

By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC – Peter Karmanos Jr., Chief Executive Officer, Owner and Governor of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced a group of 10 new partners in the ownership of the team. Nine of the team’s 10 new investors are based locally in North Carolina.

Read More

How much of the team did they buy? And can we have our first liner now?

Exactly what I was thinking. Interesting to see that the GM now has a vested interest in the club. Maybe he'll be more keen on making the playoffs.

I think it's great to have local investors step up and take part. However, anyone expecting any major changes now are more likely to be disappointed. Trust me, I would love to see another top-flight talent added to the team, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. On a side note, I read through the comments on wralsportsfan, and some of the comments are downright comical. Geez...

Very interesting indeed.

Karmanos said the goal now was to build a season-ticket base of 13,000 to 14,000, noting, "We're not that far away from that." That would enable the Canes, he said, to spend closer to the salary cap and compete more favorably with teams such as the Washington Capitals and Detroit Red Wings that are able to spend to the cap.

Fred Whitney said he and his son believe the Hurricanes are a vital part of the community and would like to see the relationship between the team and its fan base continue to grow.

"Look how the people of St. Louis love the Cardinals," Whitney said. "They are such a huge part of that city. That's what we want, for the people here to have that kind of love for the Hurricanes."

If you build it, they will come. This market has proved it again and again.

One of the most amusing headlines I saw about the partnership deal was from NBC Sports Mike Halford.

Carolina Hurricanes now owned by roughly half of North Carolina

Sure he was taking a shot at us. Poking fun at Carolina hockey and the way we do things, yet it was still amusing.

Once again IMO we will have the last laugh. This deal is as close as a Green Bay style of ownership you can have

in today's sports world. It solidifies the teams future in North Carolina and gives local investors a stake in the team.

Its our team hockey world. Get over it!

Interesting to hear PK say he wants to have a team that is at the cap. Of course he also said that this was just a start and hopes to get more investors involved, so it may be a while before we see him loosen the belt on the budget.

Just need to win that big PowerBall payoff and I'll sign up.

From Chip Alexander:

Karmanos: New investors took a 'leap of faith'

Karmanos said he felt good about the potential of this year's team and gave unequivocal support for coach Paul Maurice and his staff in its handling of the team.

"Paul and his staff, I think, are as good a coaching organization as anybody in the league," he said. "So I'm very, very happy with them."

Full article here

Oh boy...:hide:

Just shows that not only is the coaching staff incompetent, but the owner is a pathetic liar. Anyone who follows hockey knows that Paul Maurice isn't NHL calibre. If the Canes fired him today, he'd struggle to find another NHL job after his two stints here and his short time in Toronto.

From Chip Alexander:

Karmanos: New investors took a 'leap of faith'

Oh boy...:hide:

The only thing I'd say is that owners always say this....until they don't, and then the guillotine falls fast.

Edited by remkin

The only thing I'd say is that owners always say this....until they don't, and then the guillotine falls fast.

Right. A vote of confidence from ownership is sometimes seen as the kiss of death.

I'm glad the team has been finding investors, but I really, really cannot believe that quote about Maurice. Unless he means Mo and company are in the top 30.

Good luck to the new investors -- I really hope you did the full dillengence and understand what you have gotten yourselves into. This is a team whose upper manaagement will not do the necessary actions to keep a quality, consistent product in front of its fans. But then it has always been said that "theres a sucker born every minute".

Hmm what are they thinkin now,,11-10-11,,, hopefully even though they are very minimal owners they will at least have some say as to what is going on with the team as of late!!