The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
canefan248

Just Don't Go!

Plain and simple. The only way for change and to get the attention of management is to impact them financially. Don't go to any more games until some significant changes are made to this team. We can't have a Stanley Cup team every year. However we DO deserve a quality product that is exciting and entertainting to watch. And "small market" team doesn't cut for me. If we can't have a quality product on the ice then don't have hockey teams in "small markets".

I agree! if your not locked in with season tickets stop buying tickets! the issue here is that the majority of the people in attendance go to a few games a year, and will go regardless cause that is what they do!! but i agree we should send the message that way

Plain and simple. The only way for change and to get the attention of management is to impact them financially. Don't go to any more games until some significant changes are made to this team. We can't have a Stanley Cup team every year. However we DO deserve a quality product that is exciting and entertainting to watch. And "small market" team doesn't cut for me. If we can't have a quality product on the ice then don't have hockey teams in "small markets".

Go as a Pens Fan!

That's what I'm going to do, but I've been Pens fan since 1981.

Canes are my second team, but they should have never brought Mo back, but that's a different thread.

and then they move to another city where they think they can make money.

don't know what it would take to get PK's attention; not going would give the message that hockey doesn't work in the south and possibly cause an Atlanta-type move. I am begining to believe that both JR and MO must go

Well I went to 9 games last year, and a couple of those were because we got a pair of tickets to at least 2 of the games (through my son's hockey team). But 9 definitely stretched the budget for us, so we're paring back. Of course it helps rationalize to the kids why we're not going to many of them when the team is slobbering all over the place.

Edited by witchking-ch1

and then they move to another city where they think they can make money.

First response is -- let them go! Do you really believe that their loyalty and best interests are for Raleigh. They really don't care as long as they make money -- hence we got the "priviledge" of getting the Harford Whalers. Ask Hartford how departurre of the Whalers made their city any less spectacular or unihabitable.

When you pay the kind of money you pay to go to a hoceky game you expect and deserve to see a certain level of professional quality, committemnt on the ice and a management effort that provides a quid pro quo for their customer.

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy watching hockey and am a real fan. I just don't like being duped into believing this is the best we can do because we are a "small market" team. I think the real answer is that the managemenet and ownership of this team is "small minded".

First response is -- let them go! Do you really believe that their loyalty and best interests are for Raleigh. They really don't care as long as they make money -- hence we got the "priviledge" of getting the Harford Whalers. Ask Hartford how departurre of the Whalers made their city any less spectacular or unihabitable.

When you pay the kind of money you pay to go to a hoceky game you expect and deserve to see a certain level of professional quality, committemnt on the ice and a management effort that provides a quid pro quo for their customer.

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy watching hockey and am a real fan. I just don't like being duped into believing this is the best we can do because we are a "small market" team. I think the real answer is that the managemenet and ownership of this team is "small minded".

I lived in CT. My earliest childhood memories involve the Whalers and being a Mighty Mite in-between periods at a Whalers game. You want to stop going to games? That's fine by me, fairweather fans are generally not wanted anyway. I'm not trying to lose another team, so I'll keep going. "But ohhh noo!" you say, the team is losing. Give me a freaking break. You guys honestly can't expect a team to win all or most of their games.

I live in Connecticut and we would gladly take the Whalers back right now, even if they suck on the ice. We're used to that! The Whalers were almost always bad here. Sometimes they worked their way up to mediocre but usually it was just a question of how they would lose the next game, not if they would. We never had a Stanley Cup team here, you people are spoiled. Teams go through good years and bad years, get used to it. The Whalers missed the playoffs for the last 6 years that they were in Hartford, and we still wanted them to stay...

We heard all the excuses about the small market finances as well. And that was before the lockout that was supposed to fix those problems. So you can imagine that we were more than a little confused that the team was moved to another small market where the same issues exist.

Bottom line, I understand what you are going through, but if you want to be a hockey fan, and have an NHL team in your city, you need to man up and support them. If not, they will be welcome back in Hartford. (Don't flame me, I know it's not gong to happen...)

I live in Connecticut and we would gladly take the Whalers back right now, even if they suck on the ice. We're used to that! The Whalers were almost always bad here. Sometimes they worked their way up to mediocre but usually it was just a question of how they would lose the next game, not if they would. We never had a Stanley Cup team here, you people are spoiled. Teams go through good years and bad years, get used to it. The Whalers missed the playoffs for the last 6 years that they were in Hartford, and we still wanted them to stay...

We heard all the excuses about the small market finances as well. And that was before the lockout that was supposed to fix those problems. So you can imagine that we were more than a little confused that the team was moved to another small market where the same issues exist.

Bottom line, I understand what you are going through, but if you want to be a hockey fan, and have an NHL team in your city, you need to man up and support them. If not, they will be welcome back in Hartford. (Don't flame me, I know it's not gong to happen...)

How about 14 years of support from Game #1 and over $100K worth of STH support -- that enough "manning up" and being a real fan for you?

There is no need for an organized campaign. If nothing is done soon, attendance will drop no matter what we say on these boards.

I will still be there. This year at least. Of course I have no choice. This year at least.

Well i am not for JR going. I dont think MO leaving will change too much. The mistake JR made was Staal having that sick contract. He is worth about 7 mil and he should have an equal to Cam, IMO. Until PK is able to find it in himself to get a legit 1st liner, and legit 2nd line center, and a legit shutdown D man we will be stuck in this mediocrity.

We never had a Stanley Cup team here, you people are spoiled. Teams go through good years and bad years, get used to it. The Whalers missed the playoffs for the last 6 years that they were in Hartford, and we still wanted them to stay...

Interesting having a bit of franchise history. We may be a tad bit spoiled from the two Stanley Cup finals and the three Eastern Conference Finals. Was JR the GM during those six years? If so, he could be addicted to meritocracy.

How about 14 years of support from Game #1 and over $100K worth of STH support -- that enough "manning up" and being a real fan for you?

I love when people throw stuff out there like that. Am I supposed to feel bad for you or be impressed?

Ok folks calm down now; no need to challenge each other's "fanhood." The thread makes a valuable point, don't go to games if you don't like the product. Some of us are doing this already, others will never do it. I know I've only been to 1 game so far (opening night), and so far have not/will not go to anymore until I see a change in the unsatisfactory product. I was a 12 game STH last season when the team was "rebuilding" or whatever you call it; almost making the playoffs made it an exciting season. This time around IMO the expectation was to MAKE the playoffs and so far that's not looking too promising; thus I'm not going to games.

It's all personal preference I guess; we all can agree though what's happening now with the team is not good enough.

kudos, to what u said,and glad to see new members out here.. i just either want a coaching change and or trade, and if team stays around .500 i can accept that.. But i want some type of move.

I would rather go see a losing team than not have one. Ask any Hartford or Thrasher fan and they will tell you the same. The Canes won the Cup with a team deemed less than average and they will do it again. It's not like they lose every game of the season... there is a lot worse organizations out there, the Hurricanes are just in a slump.

Interesting having a bit of franchise history. We may be a tad bit spoiled from the two Stanley Cup finals and the three Eastern Conference Finals. Was JR the GM during those six years? If so, he could be addicted to meritocracy.

Karmanos, Thewes, and Rutherford, (KTR), bought the team 3 years before they moved, and JR was the GM from that point on.

As far as being spoiled is concerned, the Whalers won only one playoff round in their entire NHL history in Hartford. A lot of those years they didn't even make the playoffs. So yes, when I read some of the posts on here about how people are complaining about the team's performance this season, it does seem like some are a 'tad bit spoiled'.

Edited by p4277

Karmanos, Thewes, and Rutherford, (KTR), bought the team 3 years before they moved, and JR was the GM from that point on.

As far as being spoiled is concerned, the Whalers won only one playoff round in their entire NHL history in Hartford. A lot of those years they didn't even make the playoffs. So yes, when I read some of the posts on here about how people are complaining about the team's performance this season, it does seem like some are a 'tad bit spoiled'.

Gee wiz guys, we won the cup once anything from now on is just gravy.

Just don't go?? HAHA Have you seen their attendance since oh well since they moved to Raleigh. Always towards the basement of the NHL. And it seems to me most Canes fans could care less about the magnitude of the game.. its more about convenience and making it a family outing. Prime example is last years final game of the season. Win and your in. When you cannot sell out a do or die game then it is pretty pathetic. Oh and last nights game with a crowd of 16,260 and at least 4,000 Pens fans on a Saturday night is terrible. DONT WORRY NOBODY GOES TO THE GAMES.

Hard to say from watching on tv, but looked like close to a full house, so anyone know how many pens fans>> I know u could hear them with the 3 goal comeback..Like they say, build it they will come, well win, and they will keep coming, i will always make my annual trip in fall, no matter if teams way down, or way up...