The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Miller Steamrolled by Lucic

Ryan Miller has a concussion after being steamrolled by the Boston Bruins Milan Lucic.

NHL.com with video

Miller, "Fifty pounds on me and he runs me like that? It's unbelievable," said Miller. "Everyone in this city sees him as a big, tough, solid player. I respected him for how hard he played. That was gutless. Gutless."

The Sabres GM says he hopes Lucic is suspended.

Miller went to play that puck and threw his shoulder up, almost as if he wanted to initiate contact himself, and then took a two-handed slash at Lucic that missed. My take is that the only player who should be suspended is Miller, and that the "charging" call on Lucic was wrong.

You know, after seeing this YouTube that slowed down the play frame by frame...I agree with you. Miller went after Lucic.

Which makes these comments look pretty bad for Miller who was already having a tough season. Enroth was playing better than him according to some Buffalo fans.

Miller went to play that puck and threw his shoulder up, almost as if he wanted to initiate contact himself, and then took a two-handed slash at Lucic that missed. My take is that the only player who should be suspended is Miller, and that the "charging" call on Lucic was wrong.

When a goalie goes out and plays the puck he becomes fair game to a point, IMO. The question will be if Lucic is perceived as taking a head shot at Miller or had intent to injure. I went back and looked at the video again and it isn't as cut and dried as I first thought. My guess is Lucic will be suspended because of the hit.

When a goalie goes out and plays the puck he becomes fair game to a point, IMO. The question will be if Lucic is perceived as taking a head shot at Miller or had intent to injure. I went back and looked at the video again and it isn't as cut and dried as I first thought. My guess is Lucic will be suspended because of the hit.

Didn't a similar thing happen to Rick DePietro a few years back when he played the puck closer to the blueline than the crease? Its not cut as cut and dried as it originally appeared to be and it looks like Miller was a very willing participant but, I think Lucic has a history so this could become very interesting for Shanahan and his team today. It could set a precedent for future incidents like this.

This is the rule they are sighting on the Lucic/Miller hit:

69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent.

Whether Miller was bracing himself for the hit or bracing himself to initiate the hit is a moot point. Its not like he was doing like Irbe did in 2001 in the playoffs and hits Devils McKay.

If it were Ward who got run over by Lucic would we be defending him then? Lucic made no attempt to NOT make contact with Miller. I don't see a suspension being handed out though as a penalty was assessed.

Miller has not been having a good season so far, so him being out for Friday's game and Enroth probably getting the nod in net bothers me, as Enroth has been solid in net for the Sabres.

Edited by hopper915

Of course we'd be defending him as I'm sure all the Sabre fans are defending Miller. Based only on the Youtube, you can make an argument for both sides. Was Miller bracing himself in defense of Lucic's hit or was he playing the puck and purposely attempted to interfere with Lucic getting to it? Lucic's reaction was one of surprise imo, not intent but again its based only on that super slowed down YouTube.

Its not that clear but I bet you're right in that the league will likely rule in favor of protecting the goalie at all costs, which if it was Cam I support 100%. Lucic's reputation won't help his cause either. And I don't buy the whole "he weighs 50 more lbs's than me" from Miller, unless these guys are matching up for a fight I don't see how players can make split second decisions based on estimated body weight. The fact that Miller is a goalie is the only legit fact in Miller's comments to me.

Yea the weight argument is moot too. I'm a little touchy anyway concerning goalies. I've played goalie for many years and been run many times like Miller's hit. I am surprised the Sabres didn't go to Miller's aid and blast Lucic. Joslin, Gleason and Allen to name a few would have planted Lucic in the 3rd row if it had been Ward.

I would certainly hope so and if I were a Sabre fan, I'd be hoping my team takes care of business the next time they meet up with Boston. I read last night (somewhere) that because the Sabres don't have a designated tough guy, and based on Lindy Ruff's history, they're more likely to go after one of Boston's star players like Seguin to send their message rather than make Lucic pay.

"The Code" would be for the Sabre's toughest guy to engage Lucic in a fight at the beginning of the game and that would be the end of it. Similar to Ruutu having to fight one of the Av's players (?) in the game following Tucker being carted off the ice on a stretcher from a Ruutu hit. A few years back against Ottawa, Lindy Ruff sent out a goon squad to take out the Sen's top player instead of just settling it between fighters. I think Ruff was fined for purposely sending certain players over the boards for goonery.

Found it from the Globe: (Bruins do a +/_ grading after every game)

+Team toughness. Consider the Black-and-Gold personnel on the ice during the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller incident: Lucic, Horton, David Krejci, Zdeno Chara, and Johnny Boychuk. Had Paul Gaustad, the Sabre best equipped to respond at the time, tried to get at Lucic, he would have faced stiff resistance. The Bruins have eight players who will gladly throw down in such situations: Lucic, Horton, Chara, Boychuk, Campbell, Shawn Thornton, Adam McQuaid, Andrew Ference. Add in Brad Marchand and Chris Kelly, who have also dropped the gloves this season. If the Sabres come calling on Nov. 23, the Bruins have the beef to respond.

-The mayhem that might be coming in the rematch. If things followed The Code, Buffalo’s tough guy would challenge Lucic right away on Nov. 23. Lucic would accept. That would be that. But Buffalo doesn’t have a designated enforcer. What we might see is Buffalo taking a run at either Tim Thomas or Tuukka Rask. That’s a far more dangerous situation than a one-on-one fight. Of, if things really get nuts, the Sabres could go after Boston’s skilled guys. Please recall what took place in 2006-07, when Chris Neil wiped out Chris Drury. The Sabres responded by sending out the shock troops against Jason Spezza’s line. Of course, the highlight was

Edited by TSA

Wouldn't break my heart seeing them run Bergeron/Seguin on the 23rd. Milan knows he should've let up and Miller was trying to prevent in from going in alone on a breakaway.Lucic is afraid to fight McCormick, that's why he only goes after skilled winger's, goalies, and offensive D'men.

This play reminded me when Matt Cooke threw an elbow at Savard...a dirty play where the agressor could've lead up but didn't. Bruins never sought retribution besides a weak Shawn Thorton fight. I hope the Sabres take a different route.

How does someone whose standing still go after someone? Would that not require movement of some sort, maybe some skating in the direction of the player and not the puck. He knew he was about to get railroaded and tried to stand his ground to protect himself.

Edited by legend-1

Wouldn't break my heart seeing them run Bergeron/Seguin on the 23rd. Milan knows he should've let up and Miller was trying to prevent in from going in alone on a breakaway.Lucic is afraid to fight McCormick, that's why he only goes after skilled winger's, goalies, and offensive D'men.

This play reminded me when Matt Cooke threw an elbow at Savard...a dirty play where the agressor could've lead up but didn't. Bruins never sought retribution besides a weak Shawn Thorton fight. I hope the Sabres take a different route.

Hey quince, its been a loooooong time :)

Looks like you and I might not agree on this one but I do agree that Miller was trying to prevent Lucic from getting by him and scoring. IMO, Miller saw him coming and while Lucic may have been able to let up a little before the contact, he didn't anticipate Miller going at him with his shoulder to prevent him from getting by. Kind of hard to prove intent when both players appeared to have their own part in the hit. Both of them looked a little stunned after, Lucic looked stunned Miller came up to hit him or at least tried to stop him and Miller looked stunned because apparently he forgot to take into account Lucic's 50 extra lbs.

Brendan Shanahan agrees at least about the lack of intent : The penalty was called on the play to Lucic, no further suspension or punishment.

"I had the hearing because I did make an initial assessment of the play as I do with all plays, but I did have some questions for Milan and I wanted to hear directly from him," Shanahan told NHL.com. "They were regarding his intent; at what point did he know there was going to be a collision; and whether or not he felt he had the time to avoid the collision. I was satisfied with his answers."<br style="font-family: verdana; "> <br style="font-family: verdana; ">Shanahan said the minor penalty for charging was the proper call in this case because it follows Rule 42.1, which reads "a goalkeeper is not fair game just because he is outside the goal crease area."

"The minor penalty called on the ice was the correct call," Shanahan said. "And, while it's unfortunate that Miller was hurt I saw nothing egregious about this hit that would elevate it to supplemental discipline."

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=601357

Do you really think Lucic would be worried or would shy away from fighting McCormick? Last I checked Lucic will fight anyone including goalies now :grin: .

The Sabres are soft like the Canes and don't intimidate other teams with their toughness, if Lindy sends out a goon squad for Seguin I'll lose whatever respect I have for him. Let the players settle it the respectful way.

Personally, I'd much rather be facing Miller than Enroth and I'm sure other teams feel the same, I don't wish harm on Miller but he hasn't been getting it done this year for you guys.

In that case, I think it would be well worth a couple of minor penalties to run Thomas or Rask a couple of times next time they meet. Only problem I see is most of the Bruins are not just gonna stand around tolerating it.

In that case, I think it would be well worth a couple of minor penalties to run Thomas or Rask a couple of times next time they meet. Only problem I see is most of the Bruins are not just gonna stand around tolerating it.

But the Sabres did.

Shanahan made the right call here. The hit wasn't nearly worthy of a suspension. I'd like to see the Sabres try to run Tim Thomas, though...unlike Miller, Thomas would likely get up and be the first one with his gloves off, and I doubt anyone on the Sabres' roster can handle an angry Tim Thomas...never mind Lucic and Chara and Marchand.

Hmm we disagree on something imagine that :cheers:

The Bruins always get away with this sort of stuff... it could be Lucic running goalies or Chara slamming players heads. It's getting rediculous, I don't like players getting hurt but it's karma when Savard gets Ko'd for life and Horton is lying on his back trying to count how fingers the trainer is holding up, if something happens on the 23rd I'm sorry but I won't feel bad for them at all.

Lucic doesn't like to fight tough guys, he'd rather punch players with is gloves on and pretend he's Mark Whalberg in "The Fighter" :P

Enroth is a pleasent suprise and IMO it's a good problem to have 2 players of high quality. He was the #1 ranked goalie in Europe when he was drafted and isn't elite yet but has earned a stating role in the NHL injury or not.

Edited by quince820

My issue here is that Shanny keeps talking about awareness and the responsibility of the hitter in terms of head shots, yet Lucic _deliberately_ makes a reckless play leading to the injury of a goaltender and gets nothing. It's a damned joke.

Lindy sounded PO'd before the hearing yesterday and I can imagine how much he was fuming after. quince and rob since you guys are Sabre fans, what do you think will happen on the 23rd when the two team meet again? Usually nothing big ever materializes except a lot of media talk from these controversies, especially when there's a league ruling in favor of the injured player. In this case, the ruling didn't go in favor of the injured player and the Sabres feel that justice hasn't been served. Will they settle the score themselves?

My confusion stems from Shanahan stating that the call on the ice was correct. Lughead was assessed a charging penalty. Yet Shanahan says there was no intent. How does a player assessed a charging penalty not show intent? He is coming from a distance with the intent to make the hit...is that not basically the definition? I think Shanahan screwed this one up. And while I don't think this will set a precedent, since the Buffalo players didn't respond as they should have during the game and Shanahan didn't do what he should have...the next Buffalo/Boston game probably will be very bad. Lucic is nothing but a bully, he should have made the move to avoid the goalie, since that is the rule....goalies are not fair game at this point. And no, I am NOT a Slugs or Bullies fan.

Edited by eye_mafan