The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
B-Cash

Tomas Kaberle traded to Montreal for Spacek (merged)

33nd9h3.jpg

Okay so, as far as I'm concerned the jury is out on Thomas Kaberle this season. He is a waste of good organization funds that can be used to foster more young talent, or support multiple players, perhaps one being our old friend Joseph Corvo. I have been unhappy with Kaberle's play all season thus far, and after tonight's game at home vs Buffalo I'm sick. I miss Joe Corvo's intelligent play and strong shot. Kaberle has a whopping 0 Goals and 4 Assists through 20 games. Christ, I mean Jiri Tlusty has more than that. Stats aside, he is a lazy skater and atrocious puck handler in the neutral zone. Tonight alone three of Buffalo's breakaways and odd man rushes were in direct result of his sloppy play. We hire this 'star power play puck mover' in the off-season, overpay him, and now rank 29th in the league in PP%. I think 1/4 of the season is enough time to realize Kaberle is a flop, and acquire someone else *cough Corvo cough*.

But enough of my ranting; I'd like to hear what my fellow Caniacs think.

I hated this deal the minute it was made and Tkabs has done nothing but prove me right. He's horrorble.

And I agree that he is untradeable. Who would want him? Burke must be laughing his butt off!

As I said in another thread, the irony of this deal is that JR will wind up having to buy out two Kaberles.

I was fortunate enough to be part of an on-ice puck shooting promotion at the Blackhawks game late October. One of the prize packages I won included a signed Kaberle photo. I almost gagged. I'm pretty sure I couldn't GIVE it away as tinder.

Edited by B-Cash

I still think there are at least a couple of GMs out there who are willing to take a stab at Kaberle.. Just last year the leafs were able to get a good prospect and a 1st round pick for him.

Come on JR... You can do it..

Kabs contract will scare away a lot of potential teams, unless someone is desperate (Toronto, Montreal???)

Maybe if we waive him, then comes back on re-entry waivers a team will be interested in him at 50%?

Edited by hopper915

You all forget, he has a bobblehead night. That's as good as a NMC.

Not really. Remember Cole was suppose to get a Bobblehead night the year he went to Edmonton, but was changed to someone else. (Of course, he did leave before the season started, so............) :unsure:

You all forget, he has a bobblehead night. That's as good as a NMC.

Not really. Remember Cole was suppose to get a Bobblehead night the year he went to Edmonton, but was changed to someone else. (Of course, he did leave before the season started, so............) :unsure:

It was a joke.....get it? :D

I think 1/4 of the season is enough time to realize Kaberle is a flop, and acquire someone else *cough Corvo cough*.

Corvo? You mean the same Joe Corvo who still has a knot on the back of his head because he couldn't hightail it outta here fast enough after his best buddy signed with the Habs?

Just consider him like a lottery ticket,,you spent money and didn't win,,,throw him/it away!!Cut your losses,,,literally,,,(games & money)

I still think there are at least a couple of GMs out there who are willing to take a stab at Kaberle.. Just last year the leafs were able to get a good prospect and a 1st round pick for him.

Come on JR... You can do it..

Oh how I wish someone would want him. JR has literally been trying to get rid of him for 3 weeks. They are trying to "showcase" Kaberle and that is really not going well at all. But maybe some other GM will get hit in the head real hard and make a stupid decision well there are concussed.

I know he's got a 3 year $12+ million contract and no other GM will take any kind of trade from the Canes that includes Kabs based on his play so far this year. HOWEVER, the bottom line is that the team looks better on the ice when Kaberle IS NOT on the ice. SO ... either you sit him in the press box or you put him on waivers, which he'll clear, and you send him to Charlotte or to the Everglades. He's going to cost this team $4+ million this year either way. But when he's on the ice he's costing losses too. GET HIM OFF THE ICE NOW !

Edited by ynotagain

I'm afraid we're stuck with him - atleast until he starts playing better (if he does).

Can't trade him. No one wants him, and they aren't going to want him until they see something. I say, keep playing him. Get him back to some form of the Kaberle he used to be, then trade him.

We can't put him on waivers, I doubt he'll get picked up. And do we really want to pay someone $4 mil to play in Charlotte. Would he report to Charlotte?

Buying him out sucks, too. We can't really afford that either.

Absolutely stuck until he starts playing better.

It use to be that the Rangers would do stupid stuff and overpay for useless players, but they've gotten smarter. I think putting him on waivers and going to Charlotte would be perfect. That way, we would have Gleason, Allen, Joslin, McBain, Pitkanen, Faulk and Harrison once he's healthy.

But you're paying him $4mil to play in the AHL, and you aren't doing anything to make him seem more appealing to other clubs.

I will say this, GMs around the league usually get giddy about adding ofensive dmen.. maybe we'll get lucky..

Advice to self or anyone else: When you make a BIG mistake don't compound it!!!

Admit it, identify your loss, take it and move on. Waive him, try re-entry, then eat it, but get him off the ice and stop the compound part that impacts the team and organization.

The only way the Canes could get rid of him is if they take a bad contract back.

Well, some other contract of roughly equal value. Can't waive/demote him without that since the team is at the cap floor. If no one takes him, best they can do is buy him out this summer. JR is trying, says he won't be here long unless he gets his act together. But for now, they're stuck with him.

From what I've seen there is no way Kaberle should be playing ahead of Joslin, McBain or Harrison. What happens when Harrison comes back? If Kaberle still plays you have to believe that effects the morale of the other D-men.

Edited by ScotsWhaHae