The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
B-Cash

Tomas Kaberle traded to Montreal for Spacek (merged)

Earlier, I listed what I saw as the options with Kabs. I guess I forgot one.

6. JR finds a GM that is either a. blind or b. stupid enough to take on Kabs' contract.

Way to go JR. I don't care if Spacek makes sandwiches in the press box all season. The Canes can walk away from 2 years of that anchor of a contract.

disclaimer: I apologize to any blind or stupid people that may have read this and been offended. Wait a minute, if you are blind, you can't read this anyway. Is there a button I can push to do this in braille? Anyway, if you are blind and somebody tells you about this, I apologize. I realize that you wouldn't have traded for Kabs and I'm not trying to infer that.

Edited by super_dave_1

Does seem like a great move. MTL might just get more out of TKab than some think. Again, the guy was the 5th best defenseman in assists in the NHL last year. From their perspective, with a higher payroll it makes some sense. Worst case, if TKabs is half decent, they can move him for a pick at the deadline. If he returns to form, the guy is an elite level offensive dman.

But that said, he was a bad fit here. It was a knee jerk decision by JR (a guy not prone to those) after Corvo wanted out and he had just lost Cole. With our gaggle of offensive d-men we need a stay at home type guy. And more importantly, it's mostly about next year now, and that contract was an albatross. Spacek probably drops off the roster next year, freeing up some serious salary.

Think of this, without Kabs salary, and presumably a couple more salaries next year, JR can easily go out and find 2 key FA's. A very decent forward and a very decent shut down dman. Add that to our core and all the kids and maybe another top pick, and this team could turn fast to be ready to compete in our new killer conference, and with what a future.

The downside is that if Kabs kept improving he could have fetched a first rounder at the deadline. The upside is that if he continued to struggle, we'd be stuck with that salary. Moving him now was the safe move.

Further, TKabs effect on the team was probably not great. His struggles personified the team's.

First move in going leaner and younger.

Earlier, I listed what I saw as the options with Kabs. I guess I forgot one.

6. JR finds a GM that is either a. blind or b. stupid enough to take on Kabs' contract.

Way to go JR. I don't care if Spacek makes sandwiches in the press box all season. The Canes can walk away from 2 years of that anchor of a contract.

You forgot c. all of the above!

Maybe JR threw in 10,000 bobbleheads, & an anchor.

Spacek will be the 7th D man once Pits comes back, & that is fine with me.

Is this revenge for The Habs GM stealing Cole?

Will Spacek be pared up with Pitkanen on D? When Pitkanen gets back and Spacek probably around the same time we will have good D again. I can't wait to see how this will all be played out. I am so glad we got rid of Kaberlee I think that we gotten the better end of the trade for sure. What # will Spacek be since that Gleason is already #6? Also why haven't our website said anything yet about the trade? It's on other blog sites and nhl.com and Montreals site but not ours? I find that odd.

Edited by JDMayo

One that is not Kabs and at the moment, that is the most important thing!

Seriously, he's a decent DMAN, production down the last couple of years as he's on tail end of his career. He's a career plus player and plus in limited action this season. He's been out with an injury for a while, but he's at the end of his contract so even if hit ice time is limited, a win for us. We'd be getting an upgrade even if he's only as productive as he's been the past few years.

L

What kind of player is Spacek?

Edited by caneswincup

What kind of player is Spacek?

Hockey player- defenseman,,,,,lol just kidding. From what I remember he is more of a defensive d-man, more like the style of play of Allen. Not really a fighter but does have an edge to him. He played for the Sabres a few yrs back when our rivalry was really there. I myself thik he is a good pickup that will most likely only be here for the rest of the season or maybe even gone right at the trade deadline to a playoff headed team! If Muller keeps up his 7 d-man stye of play,I would guess he will be the #7 dman!

Well, MTL got their PP QB. :lol: Who knows, he may do well in a more defensively oriented system. Spacek is pretty solid when he isn't injured, decent on the backend and PP, plus he's a UFA, plus he makes enough to keep us above the floor. Nice recovery for a massive screw up on JR's part, and he knows it:

From Canes Now/Chip:

"I should have known better," Rutherford said. "Tomas is a player who has had a very good career but I should have known better in the sense of where he was in his career. He won the Stanley Cup, he had a short summer and at the start of training camp and the start of the season he was not where he needed to be (physically).

"He has not done as well as expected, just as the team has not done as well as expected. He has played better the last couple of weeks. But to have flexibility next year without his contract is important to us."

Wow, that is a heck of a callout. :blink:

On Spacek:

"He's been around a long time and is a capable guy," Rutherford said. "We'll see how it goes."

Translation: If he's breathing, he's better than Kaberle.

I hadn't seen a full quote from the semi-infamous radio interview JR gave a week or so ago...in retrospect it was pretty clear Kabs would be a short-timer...from NESN

"He hasn't played up to what we hoped he would have played," Rutherford said. "He came into camp and didn't prepare himself properly. He came in like the Boston Bruins did after winning the Stanley Cup and enjoyed his summer, and he hasn't caught up." [...]

"He may very well get lost in the shuffle in here. I don't know where it goes from there. I know there are some teams that are interested in him, and they aren't quite sure that they want to take on all the money and that becomes somewhat complicated.

"He got off to a slow start by his own doing and now he has to figure out a way to get out of it or he won't be playing with the Hurricanes long."

Spacek is a pretty good awesome pickup considering all the circumstances. So long Kabs v2.0, and welcome Jaro!

Edited by JLP

It is Christmas in Carolina thanks to this move! I hope Kabs regains his form, becomes an all-star, and wins the Norris. I would not care less!

JR has undone a mistake that allows for a re-set of the off season. Poni and Stewart are not the answer along side Staal, but now there is budget to re-visit that need. Hurts that the Canes are where they are, but this is a great example of action and dealing with situations rather than compounding them.

As for Spacek, anything from him is a plus. If not, sit/waive him. Personally, I haven't forgiven him for the game (last season?) where Gleason delivered a clean hit and he went down. Gleason got 5 minutes (maybe Game) and Canes lead of 2-1 went to down 2-3 late in 2nd period. Canes lost that important game. Spacek came right back out after the hit and played on the Habs PP that night.

Hilarious rocheccw! :coollaugh:

Great article by Wyshynski @ Puck Daddy, a few highlights:

[Kaberle] signed a 3-year, $12.75 million deal with the Carolina Hurricanes in July. Three months into the season, it could safely be considered among the worst signings of the 2011 Free Agent Frenzy -- perhaps the worst.

Can he reestablish himself as one of the NHL's elite puck-moving defensemen — at least in the eyes of the Toronto media — with the Habs? Or is this just another line in Pierre Gauthier's eventual general managing obit?

[...] This is a ridiculous trade for Montreal. It's based on what used to be, and what might be again, rather than what is. In his last 78 games with the Bruins and Hurricanes — including the playoffs — he has one goal. He has 12 assists on the power play (29 points overall) in that span.

That's what you get to juice the second-worst power play in the NHL (11.4 percent)?!

The best that could be said about Kaberle during the Bruins' Cup run was that he wasn't a liability. The best that could be said about Kaberle during his time in Raleigh was that he's been traded to Montreal.

Edited by JLP

Listening to the guys on XM Home Ice talk about the trade and I seriously had to :coollaugh: They said, and I quote: "Was there alcohol involved with this trade? Seriously, those guys up in Montreal like to go out on Thursday nights, so I have to think someone had a few too many last night." Then went on to say how JR said "on this very program" that Kabs had to step it up or he'd be gone. And they both said they thought "no way - you're stuck with that contract for 3 more years. No one is going to pick that up."

Then I read the quote from Puck Daddy about the best that could be said about Kaberle's time in Raleigh was that he was traded to Montreal. :coollaugh:

Wow.

I have no idea if Spacek is good or bad. But he is not going to cost us $12M over 3 years. And that in itself says JR pulled off a Christmas miracle.

This certainly isn't a lost season. Mo was voted off the island and now Kabs. I still can't believe that JR found a taker for Kab's contract without taking a bad contract back or giving up a 2nd round pick or prospect. It's not often that a GM can make a horrible personnel decision and be able to walk away from it with only this amount of financial loss.

Tis the season of miracles.

Thank God that P.T. Barnum was right when he said, "There's a sucker born every minute".

SO, I guess the next pressing question is who will replace TKabs for the bobblehead? And did JR get the deal done early enough before they started forging and painting them in China?

next question, will his jerseys be on sale at The Eye?

There were Kaberle jerseys in the Eye???? :twilight-zone:

Since Tkabs bobblehead is March 30th, 2012, I think they could swap it out for someone else (HEY lets have a Spacek bobblehead!).

They did the samething for Erik Cole when he was traded to Edmonton and it was announced he had a bobblehead night.

As a habs fan, it seems terrible that we trade spacek for kaberle but spacek has been unreliable most of the time defensively and shot just as bad... if not worse than kaberle.

The problem here is that kabs has an albatross contract like gomez, it seems that gauthier is in panic mode and martin can't coach.

on the other hand, if kabs pans out a 48 pt season and we somehow get a healthy markov in the near future, the habs defensive would be an offensive powerhouse (considering we have a sleeping multimillionaire playing like a pee-wee playmaker)... scratch everything i said, the habs are now officially the laughing stock of the league for up until 2014, where both kaberle's AND gomez's contracts end.

looks like ill be watching the canes alot more often now, capt' kirk must of been the true coach behind our bench all the long.

They are just about as desirable as the "WINNER" jerseys given away for winning a certain time out competition at games.