The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Welcome Kirk Muller!

Did I read correctly that he is signed for 3 seasons after this one? While I think it's great to have a new coach why handcuff yourself if things don't work out?

Honestly I was close to tears reading Muller's comments on here, something besides dump and chase... COULD IT BE COULD IT BE????? thank you JR, for finding those three brain cells required to rid us of our cancerous "coach"

Welcome to the Cane's Muller. I hope you are able to accomplish something magical, but I will be satisfied with seeing something exciting on the ice. I nearly destroyed my TV the other night watching our team poop on the ice. And thank you Muller for allowing me to finally buy a ticket to a game this year, since I had refused to go to any games until Maurice's tenure was through.

I can't wait to see what this change will do to our guys and I am just so happy right now that Skinner, Dalpe, Bowman, Boychuck, et all, will not come up through the organization with Maurice at the helm.

Go Canes!

Honestly I was close to tears reading Muller's comments on here, something besides dump and chase... COULD IT BE COULD IT BE?????

the hockey gods do exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, this certainly makes the prospect of watching tomorrow night's game much more inviting.

Things I will be looking for over the course of the season..

1. Does 'forechecking style' mean sending 3 guys behind the net, so even if the team wins the puck there's no one to pass to?

2. Does 'forechecking style' mean dumping the puck in is acceptable, as the players are expected to win it back on the forecheck?

3. Does 'agressive style' mean more fighting.. with a team made up of players unlikely to win a fight with my grandmother?

4. Will LaRose still be the team mascot, or will he be placed back where he belongs?

Well, this certainly makes the prospect of watching tomorrow night's game much more inviting.

Things I will be looking for over the course of the season..

1. Does 'forechecking style' mean sending 3 guys behind the net, so even if the team wins the puck there's no one to pass to?

2. Does 'forechecking style' mean dumping the puck in is acceptable, as the players are expected to win it back on the forecheck?

3. Does 'agressive style' mean more fighting.. with a team made up of players unlikely to win a fight with my grandmother?

4. Will LaRose still be the team mascot, or will he be placed back where he belongs?

Rosie will remain the team Mascot :clapper: and until JR gets a legit winger he may remain there as well but...It's better than the Staal-Skinner-Rutuu fiasco so I'll take it. I'm not sure we will see anything different tomorrow except No Mo behind the bench-I mean how much can a guy do with a press conference :unsure:

Edited by Pkling40

Welcome Coach Muller! Thanks everyone for posting so much information about our new coach. My recollection of Muller was the guy diagraming strategy and play during timeouts or critical situations in Montreal. He wasn't head coach so that is a great testimony to his value and skill.

Let's manage our expectations in the short run and let this happen. Remember, Jacques Lemaire lost quite a few in NJ last year before turning them around. However, Lemaire grabbed control from day 1 and told the players they were out of shape and needed to buy into his system.

Go Canes, and welcome Kirk Muller!

one thing I hope the guy brings to the team is that making the playoffs the minimun expectation for the year and that the year cannot be considered a success if it doesn't make it past the first round of the playoffs

one thing I hope the guy brings to the team is that making the playoffs the minimun expectation for the year and that the year cannot be considered a success if it doesn't make it past the first round of the playoffs

<Mo Sarcasm Warning>

Oh, so you mean "playing hard" and "doing the right things" that "make us like what I see" are not enough?

<Warning off>

Thanks for the backgrounder, TSA.

The above is EXACTLY what Paul Maurice has never understood. Hockey is about puck pressure and puck possession. If you don't have the first, you won't have the second, simple as that. Skinner gets this, Sutter does, Jokinen and Ruttu do also. LaRose definitely does. Let's hope Staal will embrace it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's hard to win hockey games from your own end of the rink, and the more willing we are to keep the opposition pinned in their end, the more games we'll win. And that means forechecking. Hockey really is that simple.

Exactly what I was thinking. And it's one thing I never figured out or got a good explanation from w/r/t Mo - what exactly were we trying to do? We'd dump the puck in, and then never really chase/check. We completely ignored transition and the front of the net area. We looked like a doughnut on offense - two at the blue line, two at the dashers, one behind the net.

Boomer just mentioned on the radio that you absolutely cannot win in the NHL as a perimeter team. We've been the most perimeter oriented team I've ever seen, and the results speak for themselves. When guys get loose pucks in the offensive zone, their first instinct under Mo was to pass it back out, slow everything down, and set up. What exactly we were setting up was never clear, but we cleared the puck out from in front of the opponent's goal almost as aggressively as we did our own. Maddening. Same thing on the Power Play.

Cannot wait for tomorrow night. No, I don't expect the guy to come in and work miracles. But at least seeing what the new plans are and seeing what the system will be is exciting.

Did I read correctly that he is signed for 3 seasons after this one? While I think it's great to have a new coach why handcuff yourself if things don't work out?

The Canes probably absorbed his AHL contract and added some money to it.

This is probably the best thing that JR did all year for us. I am so glad we don't have Paul Maurice anymore. I hope Muller can impress me if he does. I will be happy. What will he do with the 4 lines? Will he make it better and change it correctly with Staal Jokinen and Ruutu on one line? Get rid of what Paul Maurice had done made it all into a shamble. I hope he can make us score goals and win games and don't quit skating in the 3rd period. Welcome to Carolina Hurricanes and good luck Kirk Muller!!!!!

Exactly what I was thinking. And it's one thing I never figured out or got a good explanation from w/r/t Mo - what exactly were we trying to do? We'd dump the puck in, and then never really chase/check. We completely ignored transition and the front of the net area. We looked like a doughnut on offense - two at the blue line, two at the dashers, one behind the net.

Boomer just mentioned on the radio that you absolutely cannot win in the NHL as a perimeter team. We've been the most perimeter oriented team I've ever seen, and the results speak for themselves. When guys get loose pucks in the offensive zone, their first instinct under Mo was to pass it back out, slow everything down, and set up. What exactly we were setting up was never clear, but we cleared the puck out from in front of the opponent's goal almost as aggressively as we did our own. Maddening. Same thing on the Power Play.

Cannot wait for tomorrow night. No, I don't expect the guy to come in and work miracles. But at least seeing what the new plans are and seeing what the system will be is exciting.

Yeah, we've got tix for Saturday, and I couldn't be happier that it'll be a Mo-free event.

It's funny, it was just about one year ago I happened to be sitting a couple rows off the glass and Mo's wife and a friend took the seats next to us. I had no idea it was her until she went upstairs and her friend told me, probably hoping that I'd stop yelling at our guys so much. So she tells me, "That's Mo's wife I'm sitting with, we're old friends." And I say, "Oh, really? Tell your old friend to tell her hubby that Skinner needs to center the first line."

If there is one glaring difference between these Canes and the cup team, it's this group's lack of energy. They are giving two periods per game (at best), with the exception of the players I mentioned in my prior post, and Cam Ward. The best cure for our back-end problems is a front end that is absolutely relentless on every. Single. Shift. Brindy knew that, Staal doesn't, and I really hope Muller is willing to tell him so.

When leaving work, i heard first Boudreau was gone, then Paul gone, and i figured Jeff Daniels.. but im a happy caniac, i like Mullers pedigree.. i knew it would happen today.. feeling good!@

If there is one glaring difference between these Canes and the cup team, it's this group's lack of energy.

And I think 95% of that has been the coach and system. How can you be aggressive when our goal on the PK is to form the tightest, smallest box possible and absorb shots? How can you be aggressive when you apparently are told to avoid the front of the net like it's poisoned with Ebola? There's not a single thing we do systematically that encourages or rewards aggression. We don't hit, don't forecheck, don't go to the front, don't pursue the puck on the PK. Everything has been about being as passive as possible. I've no idea why, but that's what my eyes tell me.

Staal was on those Brindy led teams that skated like their hair was on fire and he thrived. I think he gets it more than not, but he hasn't been allowed to do any of those things.

And finally, lines. I didn't grow up playing hockey, but I played a lot of team sports, and it absolutely matters who you play with. Whether it's an OF or IF in baseball or an LB corps in football, knowing and being confident in the guy to your left and right matters, a lot. I'm a long time fan and STH, and I honestly cannot tell you what any of our line are, how many we have, or who plays what position on those lines. We seem to simply roll out forwards randomly and hope for the best.

"I just feel it comes down to one word at this level, and it's accountability."

That, my friends, is the best music of all. There are no more excuses--either play hard every shift or put on a suit and sit upstairs.

Love that he was a special teams guru--that along with an aggressive style and accountability is EXACTLY what we need to win games.

One happy camper over here!! Welcome, Kirky!

And I think 95% of that has been the coach and system. How can you be aggressive when our goal on the PK is to form the tightest, smallest box possible and absorb shots? How can you be aggressive when you apparently are told to avoid the front of the net like it's poisoned with Ebola? There's not a single thing we do systematically that encourages or rewards aggression. We don't hit, don't forecheck, don't go to the front, don't pursue the puck on the PK. Everything has been about being as passive as possible. I've no idea why, but that's what my eyes tell me.

Staal was on those Brindy led teams that skated like their hair was on fire and he thrived. I think he gets it more than not, but he hasn't been allowed to do any of those things.

And finally, lines. I didn't grow up playing hockey, but I played a lot of team sports, and it absolutely matters who you play with. Whether it's an OF or IF in baseball or an LB corps in football, knowing and being confident in the guy to your left and right matters, a lot. I'm a long time fan and STH, and I honestly cannot tell you what any of our line are, how many we have, or who plays what position on those lines. We seem to simply roll out forwards randomly and hope for the best.

Agree with pretty much all, and though I've been a harsh critic of Staal (sorry Eric, it comes with your salary) I agree that the current situation is impossible to lay at the players' feet. As captain and as center, Staal does need to go to the front of the net; I don't know whether Mo prevented him doing that or it's a choice he makes. Regardless, Mo's philosophy has always been that a one-goal lead at any point in the game is enough, and that the best way to preserve it is to play defense. That has NEVER worked in this league; there is simply too much talent. So again, you might as well make it harder for that talent to score by pinning them in their own end. And who knows? If you play down there enough, you might just score MORE GOALS. Imagine that!

If Muller turns out as good as he sounds it'll make me forget all about not getting Dineen over the summer.

I think my bellwether on this move early on, besides Staal obviously, is going to be Tim Gleason. He has looked really low energy and non-aggressive lately. Much was made about it last year, but it has continued this year after the first 8-10 games or so. He's a real heart-and-guts type player but has been drifting since last year. Was that on Mo or on Tim? Hard to say. From the sound of it Muller may be just what Timmy needs. But if Gleason doesn't pick it up soon, he's going to find himself elsewhere at the deadline.

Edited by JLP

If Muller turns out as good as he sounds it'll make me forget all about not getting Dineen over the summer.

I think my bellwether on this move early on, besides Staal obviously, is going to be Tim Gleason. He has looked really low energy and non-aggressive lately. Much was made about it last year, but it has continued this year after the first 8-10 games or so. He's a real heart-and-guts type player but has been drifting since last year. Was that on Mo or on Tim? Hard to say. From the sound of it Muller may be just what Timmy needs. But if Gleason doesn't pick it up soon, he's going to find himself elsewhere at the deadline.

Absolutely. And because the focus isn't as much on stats for a D-man, there's less light shining on him. So, if he responds to this change, it will be easier to see outside of the clutter of hard stats.

I'm really hoping Timmy responds to this. As you say, JLP, he's a bellwether to look to.