The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Welcome Kirk Muller!

Welcome news! Very interested to see if Coach Mu can sort out the mess that Coach Mo left him. I hope many of those that were begging for this move will show up for an upcoming game soon in order to get this season -- and franchise -- re-booted properly.

Welcome Coach Muller! All I can say is, you have rejuvenated the fanbase just by making the decision to coach this team! Thank you for accepting the challenge and I wish you much success! Go get'em Capt.Kirk! See you at the great RBC tomorrow night!

Edited by shauniac79

Interesting thought...Guy Boucher is now the longest tenured coach in the SE. Right around 100 games...though he has the most experience, by far, of any other SE coach, all of whom were in the minors or Juniors before their current job. There's a total of about 160 games of NHL coaching between them all. Noel's the only other one with coaching experience before this year. Not sure what all that means, though. :)

Interesting thought...Guy Boucher is now the longest tenured coach in the SE. Right around 100 games...though he has the most experience, by far, of any other SE coach, all of whom were in the minors or Juniors before their current job. There's a total of about 160 games of NHL coaching between them all. Noel's the only other one with coaching experience before this year. Not sure what all that means, though. :)

Makes for some great trivia at the very least ;)

Someone just asked me the funniest thing.... I'll quote:

"You don't suppose this is all just some really crazy JR scheme to reacquire Erik Cole back from the Habs by holding Kirk Muller hostage here in Raleigh till the Habs agree to the trade."

:lol:

Funny, but no. Erik Cole won't wear a Canes sweater again for a long time, if ever. Especially while JR runs the show. Sad to say, but I have no doubt there.

As for the coaching experience...definitely a trend to hire from Juniors and the minors rather than a retread. Hitchcock being the exception. Finally starting to acknowledge that the game has changed and new blood is needed. Definitely a good thing. Surprising how quick some have been successful, hope that's a trend that continues here.

I hope with a new coach and a win tomorrow will bring instead of 13,000, 16,000 fans to 18,000 fans back in their seats. We need a good couple of wins to do that. I finally saw the press conference. I am excited for Muller. I hope he can impress me way more than Maurice, GO CANES!!!!!

Just watched the 5PM press conference. This is going to be interesting to watch with "Accountability" mentioned numerous times. Glad to hear that both JR and KM are saying you play hard and compete or someone else will in your place. We'll see...

What a great feeling to look forward to tomorrow's game! Feels like a new season again.

Let's just remember, it will take a week or so for everything to get going. We're still going to look like we have been tomorrow, but line changes will undoubtedly be better and pairings will make more sense in terms of our guys vs theirs. Feels good to have a competent coach who loves aggressive play though instead of Paul "I don't want you guys to break a sweat" Maurice.

This is a great opporltunity for the whole organization to re-energize. This team has talent and hopefully the new coaching directives well help us gel and play like we know we can. This team has looked awesome at times this year and it's time to get the consistency to make that the norm rather than the exception. Motivation will be the key.

I am an old Devils from from the time Kirk Muller was drafted #2 behind Lemieux. In those days the Devils were terrible, the team Gretzky referred to as Mickey Mouse. I had the unexpected joy of watching this youngster wearing #9 in those days whose work ethic was beyond compare. If you just kept your eye on Muller during each shift you were treated to envialble desire to get the puck from hard nosed board work and usually kick it out with great precision to a teammate leading to a score. Considering what a poor team the Devils were, Kirk Muller put up some tremendous numbers for assists, points and goals during his tenure with the Devils, bringing the first inkling of respectability to the team. It was a major disappointment when management (lamorello) wouldn't reward him for his work ethic and brilliance and traded him away. I gave up my season ticket and followed Kirk to his stops with toronto, NY Islanders, Florida and Dallas. His victory in the Stanley Cup as Captain of the Canadians was very fitting and when as a Star he encountered the Devils, it was Kirk and Dallas I found myself rooting for. For Carolina fans (I now count myself among them) that never saw him play I will say this:

If he can istill his passion and that work ethic into even half of the current Hurricane players, you will have many satisfying seasons ahead. Best wishes, Kirk, much success.

I just wish JR had "beamed up" Capt Kirk up at the end of last season.

Yup, imagine where we would be had he had a training camp to implement his system. Since his arrival I've noticed the work ethic of several players, including Staal, becoming increasingly better with each game, having that from the start of the season would've gone a long way and I have no doubt we would've been in the mix.