The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Canes Claim Andreas Nodl off Waivers

@TSNBobMcKenzie: CAR claims Andreas Nodl on waivers from PHI.

He is only 24. Plays right wing but shoots left.

Had 11 G & 11 A last season in 67 games.

He has to stay at the NHL level with the Canes.

He has one more year left at 845K...Then is a RFA after next season.

Edited by rocheccw

Anyone know much about Nodl? I imagine he could be 3rd/4th liner on this team. I saw Philly put him on waivers and said to myself that this has JR written all over it. Sounds like a guy that could potentially have some upside but for now where does he play? I'm guessing this leaves the door open for the prospects to get top 6 time instead of 4th line grinder time. IMO it seems like this has to be the beginning of a trade here soon.

Or it might be part of a bigger package to get Ryan from the Ducks, hmm.

One could only hope so...Anyone not named Skinner, Staal, Ward, or Brandon Sutter for Ryan!

Edited by rocheccw

Ducks shopping Ryan

TheFourthPeriod.com

It appears the Anaheim Ducks are seriously considering the possibility of trading offensive forward Bobby Ryan.

Darren Millard, of Sportsnet Radio Fan 590, posted on his Twitter account that his colleague Nick Kypreos was told by a league executive that the Ducks are actively shopping Ryan.

"Doing the oilers/predators game @RealKyper told by an NHL exec that ducks r shopping bobby Ryan. Wow. 2 wins in 18," Millard said via Twitter.

Ryan, who practiced on the third line with forwards Ben Maxwell and Niklas Hagman during Monday's skate, has lacked consistency on the top unit with usual linemates Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf.

The Ducks, who sit in one point of the last place in the Western Conference and have lost 16 of the past 18 contests, have been desperately looking for a solution to create some production up front.

The Maple Leafs are likely to be one of the teams interested in Ryan, as Toronto GM Brian Burke drafted Ryan during his tenure in Anaheim.

In 23 games with the Ducks, Ryan has tallied seven goals and four assists for 11 points.

Ahhh thanks for that. Well, I love the idea of bringing in Ryan to wing with Staal. Pretty sure we would have to give up a lot to make that happen, so don't feel bad when a fan favorite dissappears.

Anyone know much about Nodl? I imagine he could be 3rd/4th liner on this team. I saw Philly put him on waivers and said to myself that this has JR written all over it. Sounds like a guy that could potentially have some upside but for now where does he play? I'm guessing this leaves the door open for the prospects to get top 6 time instead of 4th line grinder time. IMO it seems like this has to be the beginning of a trade here soon.

Good fourth line grinder on most teams. Works hard, finishes checks, won't take penalties.

Just like every other player we have. I liked Sutter on the 4th line. The problem is this guy will probably play in the top 6 which is sad. or maybe I have suffered from the coaching under the Maurice regime for too long and he might actually play on the 4th line? I just don't know...

This ONLY makes sense if it is part of a bigger move. We already have a gaggle of 3rd/4th liners.

Yes, this. Makes no sense otherwise. JR must have something cooking. Pretty much any of Poni/Tlusty/Stewart/Brent could go. I think he won't move Dwyer or LaRose, but he could pull a surprise if the return is big enough. Time to start clearing out some of the old Leafs though.

Is he going to be available for tonight? Anyone? Anyone?

Sundheim tweeted "maybe".

Sounds like a Ruutu close call in travel.

Never heard of this guy. But looking at his stats he had 22 points in 67 games last season, so maybe he will be like a Ryan Carter/Troy Bodie kind of player.

These were the comments from my insane Philly fan buddy...

"quality player and should easily get more than 10:17 of ice time on your team. I guess our attempt to send Nodl back to the minors because our forwards are starting to get healthy has failed"

JR smiled in the pressbox last night, this only makes sense if a trade is looming.

Seems like everytime someone is sent down, brought up....scratched....waived...claimed....we must be trading someone.

A good young player was on waivers, we sweeped him up. That's that. Like Justin said he's better then Brett. I can't see us waiting on a waiver claim we didnt know was coming to make a move for a player.

Edited by legend-1

Nice sarcasm legend. :)

It is surprisingly easy to forget JR's penchant for swapping around his 4th line players during the season. Still, a waiver claim means he's here for the year. Pretty obvious someone else isn't, though who knows when, and the two aren't necessarily related.

The biggest plus to me is this makes it harder to stick Checkers on the 4th line. Time to move em up the chart if they are here, hopefully.

In the sense that this is not actually directly linked to a trade it would seem that Justin and others are right. JR saw talent on the waiver wire and snatched it.

Still, unless the plan is to keep Dalpe and Boychuk in the minors forever, this does block the 4th line spot, as JLP has noted.

If we plan on getting our kids up here for the future, and personally I think that Dalpe, Boychuk, and probably Bowman should get a long look fairly soon, then Nodl to me is a sign that a couple of forwards will be moving also, not just a dman.