Position:LW

Team: Leksands (Swe)

foppa.jpg

Ryan Murray

Ht/Wt:6' 0"/190 lbs

Position:D

Team: Everett (WHL)

article_35223_2.jpg

These are just some of the upcoming draft prospects. Lots of Europeans this year.

Edited by jeromeo87

just wanted to repost this in this thread because this guy is special

seems like cam ward and company really likes him too

Edited by MeleeRayRay

You know, on the one hand it is painfully early to be considering this, but on the other hand as the losses pile up, you have to.

I know that historically teams have had to dwell in the cellar for several years to get back to being a true contender, but I don't think we would have to. By popping down there a couple of times we have picked up Staal, Skinner, and by trade Ruutu. By picking some nice second rounders we have Faulk, Dalpe, and McBain. Add Jussi, Joni, and Ward, and then mid first rounders of Sutter and even maybe Boychuk, add in a pretty high pick in Murphy last year, and there really is a basis for the idea that just ONE drop way down that could yield an elite talent would do the job for years to come.

A few key mid level moves to add some key pieces and one elite, ready to contribute forward and assuming Staal (and now Ward) return to form and we'd have 4 All star level guys:

Staal, Ward, Skinner, and top pick. To go with some guys with All Star potential:

McBain, Faulk, Murphy, Jussi

And some solid pieces:

Ruutu, Gleason, Sutter.

Sprinkle in a Dalpe or Boychuk suprising and a couple of key midlevel moves by JR and this team could be back fast.

And with realignment, we are going to NEED more talent, so this might be the best thing at this point.

Hey, I still want a turnaround, but it's getting pretty unlikely.

You know, on the one hand it is painfully early to be considering this, but on the other hand as the losses pile up, you have to.

I know that historically teams have had to dwell in the cellar for several years to get back to being a true contender, but I don't think we would have to. By popping down there a couple of times we have picked up Staal, Skinner, and by trade Ruutu. By picking some nice second rounders we have Faulk, Dalpe, and McBain. Add Jussi, Joni, and Ward, and then mid first rounders of Sutter and even maybe Boychuk, add in a pretty high pick in Murphy last year, and there really is a basis for the idea that just ONE drop way down that could yield an elite talent would do the job for years to come.

A few key mid level moves to add some key pieces and one elite, ready to contribute forward and assuming Staal (and now Ward) return to form and we'd have 4 All star level guys:

Staal, Ward, Skinner, and top pick. To go with some guys with All Star potential:

McBain, Faulk, Murphy, Jussi

And some solid pieces:

Ruutu, Gleason, Sutter.

Sprinkle in a Dalpe or Boychuk suprising and a couple of key midlevel moves by JR and this team could be back fast.

And with realignment, we are going to NEED more talent, so this might be the best thing at this point.

Hey, I still want a turnaround, but it's getting pretty unlikely.

Nor do I. We have a great group of prospects in Charlotte as evidenced by their record, the problem is when Maurice was here they never got much of a chance.

Personally, I think we have enough centers in the organization. If this team decides to go the O-man route in the first round, get a winger if possible.

Yakupov reminds me a little bit of a smaller Malkin. While I highly doubt the Canes get the #1 pick, it sure would speed up the rebuild process.

We shouldn't be looking anywhere near the top 5. This team over the past few seasons has had habit of looking dead at a top3 pick and going on a run to screw it up. Of course right now we are further out than normal.

Nor do I. We have a great group of prospects in Charlotte as evidenced by their record, the problem is when Maurice was here they never got much of a chance.

Personally, I think we have enough centers in the organization. If this team decides to go the O-man route in the first round, get a winger if possible.

Nail would look great next to Staal, or on the opposite wing from Skinner! :cheers:

Nail would look great next to Staal, or on the opposite wing from Skinner! :cheers:

Yeah, even having those two flank Sutter would be an awesome line. That could be one of the elite scoring lines for years to come. It makes losing hurt a little less knowing that even if we don't win another game this season, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just wonder how long it'll take for the new guy to get to the NHL - I mean taking the step from juniors to the NHL is a HUGE step we shouldn't come to expect. I think Skinner is just different. But it would be nice.

Yeah, even having those two flank Sutter would be an awesome line. That could be one of the elite scoring lines for years to come. It makes losing hurt a little less knowing that even if we don't win another game this season, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just wonder how long it'll take for the new guy to get to the NHL - I mean taking the step from juniors to the NHL is a HUGE step we shouldn't come to expect. I think Skinner is just different. But it would be nice.

There's not a lot Skinners running around. 1st they have to make the NHL roster, then they have to produce. Jeff is truly "different". It would be great if we could find another one: RW, speed, size, power, and a quick shot. Is that asking too much!?! Ideally somebody to play on Staal's right, that can handle his passes and can regularly get in front of the net.

OK, Nail is off the hook. Anything can happen, but Columbus is in the driver's seat at the moment on that one.

But I'd be an ecstatic camper if we ended up with Grigorenko.

OK. Russian center. #2 overall. 6'3" big. Picked right after the next Russian superstart? Who? Grigorenko? No, Evgeni Malkin. I'm not saying just because they're both big ultra talented Russian centers that Grigrorenko will end up at Malkin's level, but his junior numbers are saying it. The guy has almost an assist a game in Canada and 1.6 points per game.

So we pick up this guy, can he play year one? Maybe. If he can, and follow me here. We keep Ruutu, and say Allen. We need just ONE nice winger, and one solid veteran stay at home or all around dman and we've got a team.

Winger-Staal-Jussi

Skinner-Grogronenko-Ruutu

Dalpe-Sutter-Bowman

Stewart-Brent-Nodl

Murphy, Faulk, McBain, Allen, Harrison, Top 2 FA.

Yes, we are picking up a first line winger and a top Dman. i'm not saying a top 30 guy in either case. Maybe closer to #60 on the league wide depth chart, but still a solid couple of guys. At some point this team is going to need to go out and pick up a couple of solid vets. One for the back, one up front. Trade or FA, either way, they're going to have to spend a little.

But most of the team up there is on early contracts or bargains. There should be room in the payroll.

That team can compete. If it gels it could surprise. But in a couple of years? Real shot. That second line could outscore the first. And that third line, if our kids are all that, could have 3 20 goal scorers on it. Heck, even that 4th line could put up a few numbers if it got some ice time.

With all that offense from the blue line, that team could seriously light it up.

If we do somehow drop down and get Nail, then just put the vet as our second line center.

Edited by remkin

i've heard nail is more the ovechkin type and grigorenko the malkin type and i'd rather have a malkin type personally and for this team think it would be better so if columbus takes nail we could still get grigorenko and i think that'd be good

Just thinking out loud here - any chance that JR decides to trade CAR's first pick? This year's first round is full of Russian's and dmen, both of whom JR USUALLY tries to avoid. The pick could definitely get us a first line winger (Ryan) for Staal or a top pairing dman. Again, just thinking out loud.

Just thinking out loud here - any chance that JR decides to trade CAR's first pick? This year's first round is full of Russian's and dmen, both of whom JR USUALLY tries to avoid. The pick could definitely get us a first line winger (Ryan) for Staal or a top pairing dman. Again, just thinking out loud.

I would say anything is possible. Not sure when some of our younger players become RFA's and will require pay raises but all that factors into things. Pittsburgh got into trouble when all those young top draft picks they accrued for years came of age at the the same time, and they had to decide who they could and couldn't afford to pay. Ward and Staal are on the books for a few years at top $ and Sutter and Skinner will require big pay raises at some point.

JR does typically shy away from that but let's be honest if we're going to get to another cup we need to accumulate as much young talent pre-big raises as possible in order to have a shot with how PK is holding us hostage.

I can't see us adding a 3rd ginormous contract

JR does typically shy away from that but let's be honest if we're going to get to another cup we need to accumulate as much young talent pre-big raises as possible in order to have a shot with how PK is holding us hostage.

I can't see us adding a 3rd ginormous contract

Agree. We need to get our superstars organically through the draft. JR is never going to pick up a super elite level free agent al la Richards or Hossa. Just too much cash. He might make a one time move for a $5 million guy though.

Anyway, the key is to get a few good years cheap. Then hopefully sales increase and we can keep most of the key guys when they get raises.

So many defensemen projected to go in the first round this year.. I don't see JR wanting to pick another dman in round one. A lot of boards have Alex Galchenyuk going around pick 6 or 7. If he's around when we pick, he has to be the guy they'll take.

Just FYI, Alex Galchenyuk is actually from Wisconsin... so the JR wont draft him cuz he's Russian thing isn't an issue here.

I chuckled when I found that out. I was thinking, "Man.. What's JR going to do; nothing but dmen and Russians.. Oh, Galchenyuk is American? No brainer here.."

Edited by jeromeo87

As the season winds down, our discussions have begun to focus more on what the Canes need to do to get back into the playoff hunt heading into the 2012-13 campaign. Last year's off-season thread was a doozy, and I have no doubts this one will be as well.

Have at it Caniacs!

Edited by coastal_caniac

I took the 13 out of your title because it made it sound like the off season after next. :huh:

Hope you don't mind.

Well just to carry the offseason defense talk over here...

FIrst, yes indeed I was thinking of you coastal when I brought up the defense issue. You have been on that for a while.

I'm an offense first kind of guy, as most of you know, and we do need to improve there, but our biggest relative weakness is defense.

Here's where we rank at this point:

Goals/Game: #15

GoalsAgainst: #24*

PP: #17

PK: #26*

* and that's with some pretty good goaltending at least most of the year.

Shots per game: #11

Shots against: #29 (basically tied for last).

Now I know there are shots and there are shots, but I'm pretty sure that being basically last in shots against is not good no matter where the shots are coming from.

So that's why I'm thinking, ONE really sweet winger, then a restructure on D. The thing is, we already have too many Dmen, and a guy like Allen (and Harrison, JB) seem to be what we need more of. Something's got to give. And especially since Murphy might make the team with very high end offensive skills, Jamie "bad pinch" McBain seems the most expendable, and might really bring some return. Again, I suspect McBain has a nice career, but something has to give to make us more defensive, and McBain is the least defensive of all of our defensmen.

McBain is currently our top point producer on the defense. He must have some nice trade value. (Interestingly, JB, Harrison is not far behind despite better by 7 on his plus/minus, I think I am underselling Harrison, we just have too many bodies back there it's hard to choose).

I am very interested to hear more about Dumoulin. If the guy is ready we could save some serious money back there and get.....yes, a first line winger! Tell me more about Dumoulin, does he need an AHL year first?

The only thing I know for sure is that Faulk is amazing. I cannot believe that kid is 4 years younger than McBain. I can only imagine Faulk with 4 more years under his belt.

Edited by remkin

I expect JR to finally get a first line winger. He said this might be the first time we go after the top free agents, but I just don't see them having the cash for someone like Parise or Semin. He may look at Parenteau, but while he is a pretty good player, he's no Parise/Semin.

Of course, JR may decide to trade for a first line winger. We've all discussed this - what do we have that we can give up? With Pitkanen, McBain, Faulk, Murphy, Sanguinette, and Dumoulin we have PLENTY of offensive dmen.

Which one is expendable? Hard to say.. Pitkanen brings in more numbers than anyone else, but he would also probably bring in the highest return. McBain puts up more goals than Pitkanen, but McBain IS a defensive liability. IF Pitkanen or McBain is traded, yes it will create a whole, but it's a hole that one of Murphy, Sanguinette, or Dumoulin SHOULD be able to fill. If they can't, another dman can be signed. I wouldn't mind a more grittier dman, anyway.. Like a Jim Vandemeer.

We have all also discussed the 2nd line center position. This is still a problem for the Canes. I expect us to go into next season with either Skinner or Jokinen at that position (I think Skinner is being given his shot at it right now). If the Canes are in a playoff position next year, I think this position will be addressed via trade during the season (if, of course, Skinner or Jokinen can't get it done).

I really do expect the Canes to draft Alex Galchenyuk if he's available when they pick. Heck, they may even trade up to get him. He's been out all year with a knee injury, so I expect him to stay in juniors next year, but he very well may be ready for the NHL after that - that will, hopefully, fill the second line center position.

That's how I'm looking at this offseason.