The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

The reporter was Daron Dreger from TSN and he cited his source as inside the organization. JR has stated publicly we "could" be in a position to go after bigger name FA's this summer.

He (Dreger) mentioned us being potential bidders for Parise and Suter. Naturally, people tend to take off with stuff like that, for what it's worth.

Personally, I'm not focusing on those two players, but it's nice to hear it's possible we will be active looking for a much better level of talent.

Cant disagree with that but still it's offhanded speculation. It's just a TSN guy throwing names around as if he knows how JR operates and JR doesn't buy top of the line free agents.

It's like how ESPN throws names around in football even though they have no clue.

Remkin, looking on the bright side of losing and actually rooting for the team to lose are two different things. The latter crosses a line most would not cross. I still am PO'ed about last Saturday and will be for a long time. If that fits into your hopes, I feel sorry for you as a fan.

Do you think I like it when we lose? Think I've bought season tickets for 6 years to see losses?

But sometimes the medicine tastes bad. Sometimes the painful thing is best.

You see it as rooting for a loss. I see it as rooting for a better team for years. I just start looking a little longer term once the playoffs are gone and most people just see the game in front of them. I'm not saying I WANT to lose. I'm saying at some point the odds are that it is best to lose a few more games once out of the playoffs and get a better player so as to win far more games next year and beyond. And the tendency to take this view grows each year we fail, miss the playoffs but get a mid round pick.

You know I don't really expect most people to really take this long view. It does surprise me how few seem to have zero tolerance for the idea. But if you really want to feel sorry for me as a fan, feel sorry that this is far from the first time we've been in a position to have this same debate. BTW it always goes the same way. I am definitely asking for it by bringing this up.

But I hope if you have read more than just this stuff you will feel less sorry for me as a fan, because it matters greatly how you feel about me as a fan, and I'm not sure I can live with thinking you are feeling sorry for me. crybaby.gifth_sad.gifsmiley-cry.gif

Edited by remkin

Cant disagree with that but still it's offhanded speculation. It's just a TSN guy throwing names around as if he knows how JR operates and JR doesn't buy top of the line free agents.

Just like how JR doesn't do contract during the season.

OK, just for the record SD I never advocated tanking. I will maintain till the end that the higher a team drafts the more likely to get a better player and that while there are exceptions the elite players tend to be in the top 5, and most teams get their stars through the draft. OK that said, let me put down a few thing from the majority side that I also believe.

1. Strong management is more important than high drafts. Some teams' tendency to pick first over and over is due to lousy management. Those teams never really climb up out of their own stink, while on the extreme Detroit keeps finding ways to stay elite despite picking low over and over.

2. Fail for Nail would have had serious costs and likely would have been a net negative. It's a matter of degree. Columbus has 61 points and is a model of failure. To go to that level of futility would have possibly cost us the signing of Ruutu and Gleason. Plus, again, all I have advocated is a mix of understanding that losses could be helpful and that the GM could have some influence by bringing up young guys and asking the coach to get the back up goalie in there more. Neither of these is tanking. In fact both of these happened and the team won anyway, so fine.

3. While a few losses at the end here might have dropped us to #4 vs. 8 on the draft board with NO effect on next year, prolonged futility would have been a worse thing not worth the gain.

This is an inflection point in management. We changed coaches. If the team continued to falter bad enough to compete with Columbus under the new coach, that would have a more profound effect than had we had our coach locked in. In this case, with the new coach coming in, it was important that the team buy in. Usually the events of one season don't affect the next one that much. But with the coaching change it will. These guys see that it is fun to play hockey again, and they will be more energized to have a fresh go under Muller next year. That might not have happened if we kept failing.

4. I have NEVER advocated that the players and coaches get together and tank. There are a lot of reasons for that, from frank dishonesty to increasing injuries, to creating a sense of negativity and cynicism that is poison in the locker room.

So many years of finishing 9th have had their toll. That doesn't seem to work either.

Anyway, the main thing i want is just one key free agent first line winger.

Oh and the best of both worlds, trade with some bottom dweller for their #1 pick. (See Boston and Tyler Seguin). Then we can root for them to lose.

Canes sign Jeremy Welsh to Entry level contract. Nice! Big forward who had a really good year for Union.

Hope he plays on Saturday...Anyone know if he can play for Charlotte after the Canes are done? Maybe on a tryout contract?

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=626215&navid=DL|CAR|home

Also, Dumoulin & Alt went head to head last night in the Frozen four. Both played well, but Dumoulin was a beast on the ice. He broke up a two on one that lead to BC's first goal. BC won...so Alt is now available to sign if the Canes want him & he wants to leave Minnesota after his Sophomore season.

Go Eagles!

So, Welsh will burn his whole one-year ELC for one game against Florida. That makes him an RFA going into next year. This means the Canes have paid him to have the rights to talk contract going forward.

I don't know everything about the kid, but all I've read suggests he's kind of a late-bloomer. Big, power forward who does his best work around the net and can take a lot of punishment in doing so. Also a big hitter. Probably NHL ready.

To have both Brindy and Francis go down for his signing says something to me about what the Canes plans are going forward. It will be interesting to see if he gets a one-way on his next contract.

Very interesting. So this guy was undrafted I guess? Looks like he really has steadily improved his game, and he is 23, so one would think the Canes must think he is at least close to NHL ready, though I remember another guy who was a former first rounder who we picked up out of college that was supposed to be NHL ready, a guy named Nash. Then there was that college kid named Dalpe that was supposed to be first line ready. It has taken me a while, but I have come to realize more and more how the vast majority of prospects are and will always remain just that: prospects.

That said, it's all about watching JR now. We are going to likely draft 7-10 now. TWO more losses and we'd be drafting at #4. So that's really what I've been arguing. Two more losses. But anyway....

It will be very interesting to see how JR builds this team next year. And in a way this is his first offseason move.

So he is signed for one game? Must see a lot of potential and maybe a handshake agreement to honor that same contract moving forward?

That pesky LaRose is one away from 20 goals again, and in only 66 games played. Now he only has 13 puny assists as always, despite decent time on the first line.

I would keep LaRose if he fills out a spot on the third line. He doesn't set up plays, but he can bang it home.

Anyway, good to see the moves starting. Of course we wait for the big one.

Edited by remkin

He looks promising. Jeremy Welsh seems to be held in some regard and according to the video had interest from Nj and Ottawa. I guess his college education wasn't wasted. He was smart enough to choose Carolina over those two.it will be interesting to watch him.

So, Welsh will burn his whole one-year ELC for one game against Florida. That makes him an RFA going into next year. This means the Canes have paid him to have the rights to talk contract going forward.

I don't know everything about the kid, but all I've read suggests he's kind of a late-bloomer. Big, power forward who does his best work around the net and can take a lot of punishment in doing so. Also a big hitter. Probably NHL ready.

To have both Brindy and Francis go down for his signing says something to me about what the Canes plans are going forward. It will be interesting to see if he gets a one-way on his next contract.

It is only one game...you would think that it wouldn't count for the entire year? Could he be on a tryout contract for this game, & the one year entry level deal is for next year?

It is only one game...you would think that it wouldn't count for the entire year? Could he be on a tryout contract for this game, & the one year entry level deal is for next year?

The way I read it the contract is a one year deal not a one game deal. At least that is what I think.

Coastal, you get sleuth award of the season for finding that link :)

Good news for the Canes, I wonder if he'll get the same welcoming duo of Brind'Amour and Francis that Jeremy Welch did.

Everybody set their DVR's for tomorrow nights BC vs. Ferris St. NCAA Frozen Four Championship game at 7:00 pm. If you haven't seen Dumoulin, here's your chance.

Edit: Oh, and it's own ESPN2

Edited by coastal_caniac

Word is Brian Dumoulin will sign with the Canes after tomorrow's NCAA Championship Game. This is great news!

Dumoulin to Sign with Canes

x

WOOOOOO!!!!HOOOOOO!!! You guys are going to love this kid. :boarding:

He will have a legitimate shot at making the Canes next season, but if he goes to Charlotte due to a numbers game...he shouldn't be there too long.

Best news of my day...Thanks Coastal!

So we end up having 3 guys in the frozen 4. Looking forward to Dumoulin. I watched a couple of BC games. He looks good. It is so hard to watch dmen at the college level and try to project them. My guess he starts in Charlotte. There's also Murphy in the picture.

So we end up having 3 guys in the frozen 4. Looking forward to Dumoulin. I watched a couple of BC games. He looks good. It is so hard to watch dmen at the college level and try to project them. My guess he starts in Charlotte. There's also Murphy in the picture.

Yep, If Murphy(D) makes the Canes roster...then Dumoulin starts in Charlotte. Ryan Murphy will be the with Canes or Juniors again since he will only be 19. If Dumoulin ends up with a year in Charlotte it won't hurt his development.

I think if Dumoulin can adapt to the speed of the NHL then he will be just like Faulk...bounce up & down between Raleigh & Charlotte until room is made for the big guy.

After he signs...I hope he can play for Charlotte in the playoffs on a tryout contract.

Coastal explain this to me. I know your right but what does it mean to us. Do we have to sign him again after this season?

This kind of thing is why my financial advisory keeps looking at me and saying, "what are you stupid" I guess I better start answering yes.

Just to rub salt in the wound that last offseason was, Eric Cole is tied for #13 in the league in goals, 3 ahead of Parise and 5 ahead of Rick Nash.

Whereas his replacement: Poni, Stewart, and Dalpe have 17 goals...combined.

OK that's out of my system.

Basically, it's a way for the Canes not to have to pay an entire year on an ELC. It's not uncommon to do this to get a college UFA signed, especially a bigger fish like Welsh.

He will be an RFA next year, so the Canes realistically just paid him about $100,000 for one game and negotiating rights on his contract for next year.

Basically, it's a way for the Canes not to have to pay an entire year on an ELC. It's not uncommon to do this to get a college UFA signed, especially a bigger fish like Welsh.

He will be an RFA next year, so the Canes realistically just paid him about $100,000 for one game and negotiating rights on his contract for next year.

Thx. I think he needs to score tonight!