The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

And I wouldn't make light of the fact that Semin hardly knows any English, at all. Which is why I think there is a lot of talk about Semin looking at Detroit (Datsyuk) and Pittsburgh (Malkin).

this is my main concern about taking the guy. don't think we have anyone on the team or coaching staff fluent in the Russian langauge.

Hockey Insider on Twitter reported Pitt having a 4 year deal on the table, which is the best offer so far!

Also rumored that is was 4.5 million per year, not confirmed though.

JR was on NHL NETWORK last night, said what he loves about Muller, is that he wouldnt be afraid to sit down for a few shifts a front line guy, or a 4th line guy.. i dont think Maurice would have.. Muller is the guy..He has that presence, not a intense as Maurice..And Roddy being on the bench is going to be huge.. I dont think the bruins will deal Krec, and sorry obxer, i missed where u made the point about muller.. sorry my friend :)

JR was on NHL NETWORK last night, said what he loves about Muller, is that he wouldnt be afraid to sit down for a few shifts a front line guy, or a 4th line guy.. i dont think Maurice would have.. Muller is the guy..He has that presence, not a intense as Maurice..And Roddy being on the bench is going to be huge.. I dont think the bruins will deal Krec, and sorry obxer, i missed where u made the point about muller.. sorry my friend :)

No problem. You made the Muller point much better then I did. You got it from the JR interview. I don't get NHL network so it is nice to get that information.

If what caniac_fan posted turns out to be true I don't think Muller will get a chance to work his magic on Semin. I don't think we would match a 4 year deal.

Hockey Insider on Twitter reported Pitt having a 4 year deal on the table, which is the best offer so far!

Also rumored that is was 4.5 million per year, not confirmed though.

If true, that dollar amount is really a low-ball (vs $6.7). No wonder he hasn't moved on it because the length seems in his preference range.

EDIT: JR could offer less length but much more salary with several performance bonuses, like 30+goals, 70+ points, plus +/-, making playoffs, making all-star, etc.

Edited by Bill_B

If true, that dollar amount is really a low-ball (vs $6.7). No wonder he hasn't moved on it because the length seems in his preference range.

The Pens could have lowered the dollar offer for a longer term contract.

Tripp Tracy‏@TrippTracy

I do not think we've necessarily heard the last of Nash talk as far as Canes are concerned. Just feel like parameters have been set about who-what is and who-what is not available.

Just when we thought we were out...they pull us back in.

But I still think that the longer it goes on the more likey the reality of what the market is sets back in, and we might get another shot.

On Semin needing another Russian on the team, if he's got an attitude having another Russian didn't help in Washington. Hire a translator. $4.5 million? Take a shot at him!

Tripp Tracy‏@TrippTracy

I do not think we've necessarily heard the last of Nash talk as far as Canes are concerned. Just feel like parameters have been set about who-what is and who-what is not available.

This is what I've been thinking. As crazy as Howson is, he's no fool. While guys like E.Staal, J.Staal, Skinner, Faulk and Ward are off the table, I still think JR would overpay and offer a great package for Nash. We'll see.

The Pens could have lowered the dollar offer for a longer term contract.

Good point.... JR could look at the same thing, if he's worried about having to move a big contract if things didn't work out. I'd still go with performance bonuses for attitude incentive.

Edited by Bill_B

Yup, which is why I'd I'd like to see us at least go after Douglas Murray, if not both Murray and Marleau.

Jokinen - E. Staal - Marleau

Skinner - J. Staal - Ruutu

Bowman? - Welsh - LaRose

Nodl - Brent - Dwyer

Gleason - Faulk

Murray - Corvo

Harrison - McBain

Murphy

I'm sure there's quite a few different ways to set things up (since this took me maybe 5 minutes and I'm sure it's not logical thanks to this heat affecting my judgement) but yeah (this of course assuming they'd take Tlusty + Pits and maybe a lower draft pick.)

Right team but wrong player(s)....go after either Clowe or Pavelski plus Murray. Jussi, Joni, Boychuk and a conditional 2013 1st (1st if we make playoffs, otherwise its a 2nd). At least that's the type of deal I'd like to see us explore, might be a bit of an overpayment, but it does get the talks going.

On Semin needing another Russian on the team, if he's got an attitude having another Russian didn't help in Washington. Hire a translator. $4.5 million? Take a shot at him!

I agree he has a 40 goal season 2 30+ goal seasons and 3 20+ goal seasons in the last 6 seasons (50+points in 5 of 6) while missing a bit of time. To get a player like that you have to be willing to pay and 4.5 is NOT overpaying for a player with that ability (even with the attitude/effort issues we've heard about) in my opinion. I say try to get him on a 1 or 2 year deal to see how it works and go from there.

Right team but wrong player(s)....go after either Clowe or Pavelski plus Murray. Jussi, Joni, Boychuk and a conditional 2013 1st (1st if we make playoffs, otherwise its a 2nd). At least that's the type of deal I'd like to see us explore, might be a bit of an overpayment, but it does get the talks going.

I agree except I'd like to see Pavelski and Clowe, maybe Murray. Probably would need another asset. Be nice if Stewart could be included and/or LaRose or Dwyer.

Also, would have to have SJS back out of any Nash deal, since Pavelski and Clowe are their key rumored ingredients.

Edited by Bill_B

I guess it is up to Semin but would he want a 1-2 year deal at 5.5-5.75 mil or a 4 year at 4.5 mil? Then again I have no idea what JR is offering. I would take the risk of giving him a 2 year at around 5.5 if that meant we could get him. We have enough character guys in the locker room to either school him up or keep him from making a difference. On top of that, we have a coach and GM that will tell him to shape up or it looks like he will not be playing NHL hockey any longer than that deal if he doesnt shape up. Even in Russian, that doesnt sound very good.

I agree except I'd like to see Pavelski and Clowe, maybe Murray. Probably would need another asset. Be nice if Stewart could be included and/or LaRose or Dwyer.

Also, would have to have SJS back out of any Nash deal, since Pavelski and Clowe are their key rumored ingredients.

Cant see Stewert going anywhere, he tried like heck, but not going to happen.. god, i wish this nash talk would end... let someone else have him, JR would get overly implusive , the more it drags on, and do something WE all would regret.

Cant see Stewert going anywhere, he tried like heck, but not going to happen.. god, i wish this nash talk would end... let someone else have him, JR would get overly implusive , the more it drags on, and do something WE all would regret.

Hopefully slamming the phone down when they asked for Skinner was enough to get the deal a little more fair for both sides, but I would actually prefer to have Bobby Ryan (cheaper deal, younger, cheaper contract).

EDIT: JR could offer less length but much more salary with several performance bonuses, like 30+goals, 70+ points, plus +/-, making playoffs, making all-star, etc.

I thought performance/incentive bonuses were only allowed in contracts for the over 35 crowd?

4 years for Semin??? Eeks :o

I thought performance/incentive bonuses were only allowed in contracts for the over 35 crowd?

The way I interpret the CBA Semin can't be given a performance bonus. Basically, here's the general terminology from the CBA regarding which players can receive them.

Bonuses:

Performance bonuses can be earned by the following players only:

- players on entry-level contracts.

- veteran players (400 or more games) signing one-year contracts after returning

from long-term injuries (100 or more days on injured reserve in their recent year).

- players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

A team can exceed the cap by 7.5% to pay bonuses, but its salary cap for the following season will be reduced by the excessive amount.

4 years for Semin??? Eeks :o

While I'd rather have Nash or Ryan, both will cost us part of our team or future team.

Semin is just money. So long as he can produce on the ice at least decently and doesn't shoot someone, and doesn't have a NTC couldn't we trade him for something? A fourth round pick and a tooth pick? I mean if it ended up badly.

On the other hand in 2008-2010 Semin put up 1.16 ppg which would be good for 95 points in a full season.

The upside, he is not as bad a cancer as advertised, maybe just a basal cell skin cancer that can be worked around, and he likes it here and is fairly happy and puts up major points and gets us into the playoffs and we have a pretty darned sick top 6 to make up for our somewhat suspect defense.

I don't know. Doan would be good if we had a shot at him too.

I think Doan is at that point in his career that the Coyotes, after everything get worked out with the ownership, gets everything he wants. He's like Marty in Jersey, loved by the fans and general public, been there forever, and would be a shame that he would not finish his career there.

Personally, I'm hoping Doan leaves Phoenix to play with a team thats been in the Nash/Ryan sweepstakes. Same goes for Semin.

Of course, anyone of those four players would be nice for us to get.

Just saying if we don't get Doan/Semin, it would be great if they went to a team that has been after Nash/Ryan.

Helps our odds.

I think Doan is at that point in his career that the Coyotes, after everything get worked out with the ownership, gets everything he wants. He's like Marty in Jersey, loved by the fans and general public, been there forever, and would be a shame that he would not finish his career there.

Agree. But, things have gone crazy in Phoenix again, hence Doan is waiting for some closure. Things just may not sort out.

There's a group working on a voter initiative that would essentially overturn the council and judge's decisions. This could totally wipe out the arena deal, if the voters go in that direction. It's chaotic. Not even sure the voter initiative will happen, and if it does, what the voters will decide.

On top of that, the July 9th deadline for the voter initiative signatures is fuzzy and disputed. So, perhaps Doan will sit on it even longer.

My personal guess is that things will be "iffy" and not clear, yet Doan will sign with Phoenix for 1 year.

The whole thing is a scary mess. We should be grateful we have a team here with decent community and owner support.

I want Semin because of one major reason, it costs us 0 assets to acquire him and it legitmately makes our roster better instantly. Nash will cost us some assets potentially just creating new holes just like Jordan did. We solve one issue and make problems somewhere else.

If Semin doesnt work out we trade him and theres literally nothing lost. Nash doesn't work out we have a guy with a NTC who gets to choose where he goes again or just waits until he's a UFA to leave.

Semin would be the best risk JR has taken in a long time. In a market where we know full well we have to take risks, Semin is not a bad risk to take. Maybe Ovie was dragging him down, a leader with a poor work ethic has a trickle down effect.

I want Semin because of one major reason, it costs us 0 assets to acquire him and it legitmately makes our roster better instantly. Nash will cost us some assets potentially just creating new holes just like Jordan did. We solve one issue and make problems somewhere else.

If Semin doesnt work out we trade him and theres literally nothing lost. Nash doesn't work out we have a guy with a NTC who gets to choose where he goes again or just waits until he's a UFA to leave.

Semin would be the best risk JR has taken in a long time. In a market where we know full well we have to take risks, Semin is not a bad risk to take. Maybe Ovie was dragging him down, a leader with a poor work ethic has a trickle down effect.

^ That. Also, as far as trade assets required for Ryan, I don't think Murray is less demanding than Howson. Only one huge difference, in my eyes, is that Nash has 5 years remaining on his contract to Ryan's 3, and that Ryan has already expessed his desire to play for the Fylers. Makes it hard to understand why some folks think that Ryan would be the better deal between the two.

I hate to agree with Legend yet again, but I do! ;-)

Also, a side comment on the Canes pocketbook..did anyone catch JR on NHL Live on Friday? He basically said they didn't have the bucks to re-sign Whitney a couple years ago, they didn't have bucks to re-sign Cole last year, and that left roster holes. Now, he said, they have money to spend and the most specific reason he cited why was because of the local TV deal they signed with Fox! I remember reading about that deal, but did it really make that big of an impact on the Canes' willingness/ability to spend? That comment surprised me.

This! I'm not a big fan of Semin, but I don't doubt that the environment in D.C. had an effect on his play and work ethic. Give him a chance, J.R.!