The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Here's a Bleacher Report (BR) article that says Semin should take the KHL money and run back to Russia because he will probably only get offered $5.5-6 here and the media will always be on him.

http://bleacherrepor...r-of-30-million

Apparently the offer to semin for 3 years 30 mil was a false report: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/alex-semin-khl-contract-offer-nhl-free-agency-214400390--nhl.html

I was told CSKA reps met with Semin's agent Mark Gandler in the U.S. and offered a 2-year deal worth "almost exactly what he was making in Washington."

I didn't think about that. No way in hell would Semin sign here.

I didn't think about that. No way in hell would Semin sign here.

..yeah, Google "Finlandization"..

Semin probably thinks that Ruutu, Joni and Jussi are hiding around a corner in the PNC Arena with lead pipes. Russians and Fins don't like each other - I asked a Russian friend of mine why, she declined to answer, changed the subject.

Maybe hard feelings about invading them in WW2 :huh:

...Afterall, some Canadian opinion makers say that as a poor southern team, we should shut up, dress in rags, and act the part of being poor.

Ah, another brilliant idea from the only (in their mind) hockey worthy nation. Heck, why not a pure Canadian league so they can win the cup, every year!

In 1973 (Summit Series) the Russians de-bunked the absurdity of Canadian hockey superiority. Go ahead, form a league of top teams, and heck fill it with Canadians playing only in Canada. The game will still thrive in the U.S.A., and yes in places like Carolina. It will be filled with superior international players from Europe, Russia and the USA.

Edited by Manwolf

Ah, another brilliant idea from the only (in their mind) hockey worthy nation. Heck, why not a pure Canadian league so they can win the cup, every year!

In 1973 (Summit Series) the Russians de-bunked the absurdity of Canadian hockey superiority. Go ahead, form a league of top teams, and heck fill it with Canadians playing only in Canada. The game will still thrive in the U.S.A., and yes in places like Carolina. It will be filled with superior international players from Europe, Russia and the USA.

Do not forget that there are Hurricanes fans that actually live in Canada.

Apparently the offer to semin for 3 years 30 mil was a false report: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/alex-semin-khl-contract-offer-nhl-free-agency-214400390--nhl.html

I was told CSKA reps met with Semin's agent Mark Gandler in the U.S. and offered a 2-year deal worth "almost exactly what he was making in Washington."

Well that was a short-lived rumor

I exchanged emails with Chip and Luke (N&O) today about the Canadian press disparaging Carolina and small-market teams in general and I closed a note saying we should get Semin. Luke responded that he wouldn't take him if Semin paid to play here ... Semin could undermine the locker room chemistry Muller has re-created since Mo left. Of course I'm paraphrasing because I'm on a different computer.

Edited by Bill_B

Maybe hard feelings about invading them in WW2 :huh:

That was my assumption, the Winter War was pretty rough on the Ruskies and that was before they met the Nazi war machine. So I asked her if that was the reason - because Finland wouldn't just hand their valuable resources to the Red Army like Russia wanted and her reaction was basically that she had no idea what I was talking about. It may have been even further back in time...

Edited by jb_online

Semin probably thinks that Ruutu, Joni and Jussi are hiding around a corner in the PNC Arena with lead pipes. Russians and Fins don't like each other - I asked a Russian friend of mine why, she declined to answer, changed the subject.

Can we sell tickets to that grudge match? I'd pay!

I'd rather have Doan then Semin, mostly because Semin wouldn't help with Skinner's attitude, if anything he'd have the potential of making it worse.

I'd rather have Doan then Semin, mostly because Semin wouldn't help with Skinner's attitude, if anything he'd have the potential of making it worse.

Could you please explain?

Think Skinner's problem is more a maturity issue and learning what it takes in the NHL to be a small body playing where bigger bodies usually reside. That would have been something Parise really could have helped him develop.

I exchanged emails with Chip and Luke (N&O) today about the Canadian press disparaging Carolina and small-market teams in general and I closed a note saying we should get Semin. Luke responded that he wouldn't take him if Semin paid to play here ... Semin could undermine the locker room chemistry Muller has re-created since Mo left. Of course I'm paraphrasing because I'm on a different computer.

Most of the time I value Luke's hockey opinion about as much as Pierre McGuire's.

Step 1 - Sign Semin.

Step 2 - Assign Gleason to adjust, correct, recalibrate, tune up, or otherwise influence any attitudes that might be unconstructive, as often as necessary.

:threaten:

If we signed Semin, would that make us more interesting to Shane Doan?

Edited by Category5

Most of the time I value Luke's hockey opinion about as much as Pierre McGuire's.

That wasn't nice to put Luke in the McGuire category. Hah! :-)

Could you please explain?

You remember Skinner's attitude/frustration issues last season, yeah? Well, if Semin is the locker room poision everyone is claiming he is, I think that would either 1. amplify that attitude/frustration if/when it occurs, or 2. say "as long as you put up x amount of points you can act however." Doan however would probably be the first (and only) person to tell Skinner to chill out and get his mind back on the right track, not to mention add the size and grit that Muller wants.

Well, to be fair, Canada produces about 60% of the players in the NHL while having a smaller population than the state of California. I don't know if i would say that Canadian hockey is "superior", but our track record at the Junior worlds, Olympics and other international tournaments is unmatched. Similarly, i don't think anyone would question the US dominance in baseball, despite the quality of players from countries like the Dominican or Venezuela.

By all rights the US and Russia should be kicking our butts since they have the resources to produce wave after wave of elite players, but they don't. Let's face it, what percentage of American kids dream of playing in the NHL? And of those, how many have access to a quality junior program that can get them there? The time may come where the US can consistently compete with Canada in this sport, but you have a ways to go. Honestly, I have no idea why Russian players don't dominate the NHL (perhaps money is the main issue), but I don't see it happening any time soon. They couldn't even ice an Olympic team entirely composed of NHLers the last time around.

As for the Summit Series (which was in 1972, by the way), Canadian hockey fans had been chomping at the bit to get at the Russians for years since our pros have never been given the chance to play against their best. When the opportunity finally came, we were cocky and overconfident, figuring the USSR would be lucky to take a game, at best. We got a rude awakening, for sure. And yes, there were a couple of guys on the Soviet side that were probably superior to anyone on the Canadian side (Valeri Kharlamov and Vladeslav Tretiak, specifically), but they didn't have the depth to win in the end.

Now, having said all of that, it is wrong for Canadians to cop an attitude and talk down to American hockey fans. I would never question your fandom. I guess when you're accustomed to being the "little dog", you tend to get your back up and overreact when you perceive that the "big dog" is trying to bark in your yard, if you know what I mean.

I think Doan and Semin are a long shot at this point anyways. I would also rather have Doan but am not going to complain about getting Semin just because of his attitude. Who knows, he might shape up just with a change of environment. As far as Skinner's attitude goes....he will mature and i'm sure there are already plenty of strong leadership figures (Brindy, Francis, Muller...etc) working on his attitude problems. Those same people could easily have a good influence on Semin. But as I said, I think they are both going to be hard to get despite the allure of the Staal brothers.

Russians and Fins don't like each other - I asked a Russian friend of mine why, she declined to answer, changed the subject.

...the Winter War was pretty rough on the Ruskies and that was before they met the Nazi war machine. So I asked her if that was the reason - because Finland wouldn't just hand their valuable resources to the Red Army like Russia wanted and her reaction was basically that she had no idea what I was talking about. It may have been even further back in time...

Really? I've been living in Russia all my life and never even heard about it. At least that the Russians don't like the Finns. Some say that the Russians aren't welcomed in Finland, but not visa versa. Now we can trace it to Russo-Swedish War of XIII century. The Finns were between two mighty forces at that war and they were somehow attacked/invaded by both. Maybe they still remember that? I don't know. There was a couple of other conflicts, yes. The dukedom of Finland was once a part of the Russian Empire, but seceded in 1917. And that conflict of 1940 you are talking about. The thing is that we remember these times not because of bad relationship with Finland. Other events and enemies overshadow this thing... So now we, Russians, don't have any reason to dislike the Finns. Maybe the Finns do have some?

As to Semin, he shouldn't look for support in the faces of Finnish Canes. If he decides to land in Carolina, he gotta find a way to successfully communicate with all the team members. If he can't, do we need him? By the way, here, in Russia, he isn't reputed for being 'cancer in the locker-room'. Maybe because he's Russian... The truth is yours, guys. 

Edited by aRyazanCaniac

Well, to be fair, Canada produces about 60% of the players in the NHL while having a smaller population than the state of California. I don't know if i would say that Canadian hockey is "superior", but our track record at the Junior worlds, Olympics and other international tournaments is unmatched. Similarly, i don't think anyone would question the US dominance in baseball, despite the quality of players from countries like the Dominican or Venezuela.

By all rights the US and Russia should be kicking our butts since they have the resources to produce wave after wave of elite players, but they don't. Let's face it, what percentage of American kids dream of playing in the NHL? And of those, how many have access to a quality junior program that can get them there? The time may come where the US can consistently compete with Canada in this sport, but you have a ways to go. Honestly, I have no idea why Russian players don't dominate the NHL (perhaps money is the main issue), but I don't see it happening any time soon. They couldn't even ice an Olympic team entirely composed of NHLers the last time around.

As for the Summit Series (which was in 1972, by the way), Canadian hockey fans had been chomping at the bit to get at the Russians for years since our pros have never been given the chance to play against their best. When the opportunity finally came, we were cocky and overconfident, figuring the USSR would be lucky to take a game, at best. We got a rude awakening, for sure. And yes, there were a couple of guys on the Soviet side that were probably superior to anyone on the Canadian side (Valeri Kharlamov and Vladeslav Tretiak, specifically), but they didn't have the depth to win in the end.

Now, having said all of that, it is wrong for Canadians to cop an attitude and talk down to American hockey fans. I would never question your fandom. I guess when you're accustomed to being the "little dog", you tend to get your back up and overreact when you perceive that the "big dog" is trying to bark in your yard, if you know what I mean.

Pointless wrt/population since article suggests 1/3 reduction in teams to an elite, new league. I'm also not comparing US to Canada in skill, player development, etc. in any way. My point is Hockey is an international sport and the Summit Series showed the direction the game was heading. Also, in the series their "probably superior" Kharlamov was out late in the sreies with a broken ankle, thanks to Clarke.

Lastly, no-thanks for not questioning my fandom and then crapping on us with your big/little dog statement.

Looks like the folks pushing for a referendum to overturn the Phoenix Coyotes deal failed to meet the deadline (yesterday). They had 30 days to gather and turn in 1862 signatures to contest the City Council's approval of the lease agreement with Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison.

So, as it stands, the 'Yotes are staying which means Doan will most likely re-sign.

Maybe Semin is poison LOL. The discussion of Semin has led to US vs Canada and Finland vs Russia on our board. If it keeps going we will need a UN peacekeeping force at the PNC Arena next season.

I have always enjoyed the Canadian fans I meet at the arena. The Russians I know are great. The writer from Canada who pointed out or tried to point out the revenue sharing inequity has a point. What I didn't like was once again it was Carolina used as an example. Not Florida, Nashville, Dallas or Phoenix but Carolina.But you don't have to be Canadian to use Carolina as a whipping boy, that writer from Buffalo has been doing it for years. An elite 10 game league is a pipe dream and IMO a yearning for the good old days. It's a new century and the NHL needs hockey markets like Carolina to succeed.

As for Semin. Hunter said he was getting a bad break in the press, he can score goals, he may be the only realistic option we have for a top 6. I say make a pitch for him and then turn attention to the bottom 6 and defense.

OK a few things here...

On Semin

Heard on XM this morning that a rumor from Russian media has Semin signing with Pittsburgh soon. Take it for what it is worth.

On Canadian Fans and Opinions

I love my Canadian friends. One of the best city experiences I ever had was in Toronto. I love it when Canadian teams visit here. The fans are always great! (Can't say that for a few USA teams I know.) We sat in a section pretty thick with Edmonton fans in '06 finals. The fans cracked me up. One guy kept complaining that our beer sucked because it was watery. All in fun...

I have no beef with our Canadian fans of all persuasions. I have a beef with some of the "Opinion Makers", which was the term I used when quoting that article. For some reason, some of the sports writers up there are still fighting the war of 1812.

On Finland-Russia

I have no idea what the full history is. I've read about them being caught in the middle in WWII. I suspect some citizens are still fighting it, but for the most part my guess it is bygones.

Then again, here in the USA some of us are still fighting the North, or British Canada for that matter. :) Columbus apparently is still fighting for the North, restoking glorious memories of war from 150 years ago.

Edited by wxray1