The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

I'm still very curious as to why we haven't heard anything about Canes being in on Bobby Ryan. Think it's because ANA would have to get a center back, and we simply don't have one to give?

Yeah, there is always the three-way option, but I can't think of any center heavy teams need someone like Pitkanen. I mean, there's Boston, who's looking for Pitkanen-type player. But all of their centers are much more valuable than Pitkanen. Besides, Boston's rumored to be interested in Ryan, as well. St. Louis could be an option, but I don't see them giving up Oshie, or any of their centers.

Here's a thought: if JR is unable to find that big trade and makes a smaller one, instead (D'Agostini-type player), should we go ahead and try to trade for M.Staal?

Once the season is underway and injuries begin to play a roll maybe a trade could be had. If a team happens to have an injured offensive blueliner they could come calling as we seem to have a surplus.

Renaud P Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS

Hurricanes signs Marc-André Gragnani 1 year / $800 000 (2 way)

That was re-tweeted by Michael Smith.

Once the season is underway and injuries begin to play a roll maybe a trade could be had. If a team happens to have an injured offensive blueliner they could come calling as we seem to have a surplus.

Bingo. That's why I don't think it was a mistake that JR said it might not happen for "5 months". That was a timeframe that was not pulled out of thin air. That is roughly around Thanksgiving, when the kind of problems you speak of occur and trades start happening.

Wasn't Gragnani Buffalo's top puck moving defensive prospect at one point? Or am I mistaken for someone else?

Michael Smith‏@MSmithCanes

Gragnani is a 25-year-old defenseman. He played 58 games in 2011-12, 44 with Buffalo and 14 with Vancouver

You are correct. The Canucks traded Cody Hodgson and Alex Sulzer to tr Sabres for Gragnani and Zack Kassian.

I don't really get why Gillis didn't qualify this guy. Yeah, he didn't play very well for the Canucks in the few chances he got but to give him up for nothing? I certainly wasn't ready to give up on him.

essentially we just swapped depth defenseman. Gragnani for Joslin :P

Edited by Vanucks91

Interesting pick up for sure. JR seems to be collecting offensive defensemen. I'm sure this will que the speculation on a potential trade.

You are correct. The Canucks traded Cody Hodgson and Alex Sulzer to tr Sabres for Gragnani and Zack Kassian.

I don't really get why Gillis didn't qualify this guy. Yeah, he didn't play very well for the Canucks in the few chances he got but to give him up for nothing? I certainly wasn't ready to give up on him.

essentially we just swapped depth defenseman. Gragnani for Joslin :P

We have other depth guys we wouldn't mind letting go. What about the Canucks? :D

Yes, perhaps Gragnani will be the replacement of some guy JR is planning on trading. Perhaps Ryan Murphy? Well, at least we did something. So many days have gone by without any news or rumors. I guess JR is going to wait things out before making a move.

Interesting pick up for sure. JR seems to be collecting offensive defensemen. I'm sure this will que the speculation on a potential trade.

ANOTHER offensive dman? Yeah, something might be cooking.

We have other depth guys we wouldn't mind letting go. What about the Canucks? :D

Yes, perhaps Gragnani will be the replacement of some guy JR is planning on trading. Perhaps Ryan Murphy? Well, at least we did something. So many days have gone by without any news or rumors. I guess JR is going to wait things out before making a move.

Schultz did just leave ANA.. just saying..

Anyway, all I'm reading from Buffalo and Vancouver fans are that he's basically just a PP guy. He struggles in his own end, and makes bad defensive decisions.

Edited by jeromeo87

ANOTHER offensive dman? Yeah, something might be cooking.

Schultz did just leave ANA.. just saying..

Anyway, all I'm reading from Buffalo and Vancouver fans are that he's basically just a PP guy. He struggles in his own end, and makes bad defensive decisions.

Sounds like a Tanabe to me.... maybe some others too.

Can't speculate on what might be happening, if anything, but he's 25 so he's waiver eligible. Can't see him being signed as a depth guy in Charlotte because it's highly unlikely he clears with the NHL experience he has.

I suppose the Gragnani signing could just be restocking the cabinet in Charlotte or perhaps it is in anticipation of another move.

Or both.

Gagnani and Corvo this off-season. I feel better and better about next season already. :sarcasm:

That's what I say .... whoopee!!!

And Murphy

True. And assuming this is a depth signing, it will make it tougher on him to stay up. I guess I'm one who isn't penciling in Murphy quite yet, particularly with this signing.

Gragnani is another PMD, which leads me to believe that JR may be getting his ducks in a row to make a trade. He can't be sent back and forth to Charlotte without going through waivers. That leaves me to believe that he's more destined for the big club than the medium club.

I just saw the news feed on my Facebook profile...who the hell is this guy? I've never even heard of him!

I just saw the news feed on my Facebook profile...who the hell is this guy? I've never even heard of him!

He was the guy who scored the goal at the end of the '11 season on a flukey bounce off the boards in overtime when we were battling Buffalo for the last playoff spot. We tailgated all day and it sucked to lose.

:tailgate:

The Canes better score a bunch of goals. The D sure hasn't been improved. The scoring winger is not here. No third line center. Still a lot of holes, and this deep into free agency,fewer parts available. J. Staal is a nice pick up, but one guy won't get the Canes to the playoffs.

Maybe JR is just replacing our need for a top 6 winger with with nothing but PMD. I'm starting to think his theory is, "well if we can't keep the puck out of our own net, might as well try to put it in the back of theirs"