The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

According to Darren Dreger, Shea Weber has signed an offer sheet with the Flyers. Upwards of 14 years and $100 million. If Nashville decides to not match the offer the Flyers could potentially have cap problems should the upper limit be rolled back.

EDIT: Philly will be in cap trouble whether the cap is reduced or stays the same.

Edited by jfive

They also have to give up what...4 first rounders? Or is it 2 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd?

EDIT: re: caphit, could be either making another big move, OR Pronger's hit doesn't come off if he retires right?

Edit 2: just re read the RFA rules, looks like its 4 1st round picks.

Edited by Vanucks91

wow, no pressure there for weber to live up to. Wonder if that frees up a player or two on their roster, and if so anything we could use ;)

I hate Philly!!!

Pronger's contract was signed as a 35YO meaning it stays even if he retires. BUT the Flyers can put him on LTIR, and his cap hit goes away as long as he is on LTIR. Pronger gets paid either way.

Did I mention that I hate Philly!

I do hope this somehow makes Holmgren & the Flyers look bad.

Well Philly didn't have any problem using the frowned upon offer sheet to try and get what they wanted. That is a bunch of change and a lot of years to drop on one player. On the bright side I would guess that takes Philly out of the Doan, Semin, Nash, Ryan hunt.

x

There is already talk that if Nashville doesn't match...then they would trade some of the 4 - 1st round picks back to Philly for NHL roster players...Which would then help the Flyers fit Weber's contract in under the cap.

The report I saw said anyone not name Giroux would possible be available.

I think Nashville has to match this...just like Buffalo had to match the offer for Vanek. Both teams lost key UFA before the big offer sheet was signed by their big RFA.

EDIT: JR please extend Skinner now!!! So, you don't have to match some insane offer sheet next year!

Of course this could change with the new CBA, but why risk it.

Edited by rocheccw

Well Philly didn't have any problem using the frowned upon offer sheet to try and get what they wanted. That is a bunch of change and a lot of years to drop on one player. On the bright side I would guess that takes Philly out of the Doan, Semin, Nash, Ryan hunt.

x

Not a done deal yet, see below quote from Eklund:

The Flyers offer sheet may be exactly what Poile needs to get a deal done. It's far easier to justify a contract of this size when you are telling your owners Philly has offer sheeted him than when you are saying I want to offer Weber 20 million upfront and another 120 over the next 14 years. (just a guess on the contract's possible price range based on what I am hearing)

There are many out there saying Weber signing this means he has said goodbye to Nashville. I would venture to say it is exactly the opposite. Weber has heard what Poile has said. What Weber did in allegedly agreeing to this deal,is given up his UFA next season. Weber very well may have just agreed to play the rest of his career as a Predator, and one thing you can say for certain is Shea Weber is perfectly willing to spend the rest of his career in Nashville. That would be my guess as to how this plays out.

Even if Poile hadn't come out and said he would match any offer, having just lost Suter he would have little choice. A source I spoke with reminded me of when the Sabres lost Drury and Briere and had no choice to match Edmonton's offer for Vanek.

If it plays out that Weber remains a Predator it is also entirely plausible that the Flyers, after realizing a trade couldn't be made with them, made this offer to simply keep Weber away from teams in the East they are competing against..

x

Good point about taking them out of the running for the top tier guys. Guess they must have heard Pronger is really, really iffy!! And they've lost Matt Carle too. Lavi must have pushed the GM after those 2 big defense losses.

If the Preds let Philly take Weber, some players will have to be available.

Yeah, Nashville can match and all. But what is this kind of thing doing to the market in general? The big teams can throw their weight around and force the little guys to submit.

Not liking this trend at all. The owners/gms are a bunch of hypocrites.

I should of said if the offer sheet isn't matched by the Preds it would take Philly out of the hunt for the other big guns. The wisdom around the net seems to be the Pred will have to match the offer but I'm not so sure. The Preds have lost a lot this year and could now turn their attention to the future. I do know that this offer hasn't done anything to lower expectations for the remaining FAs or GMs looking to make trades.

Petr Sykora would be a nice addition if he can produce similarly to last season.

With 21goals, he would have been the Canes #2 goal scorer last season and we don't need to trade anything away to get him!

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Yeah, Nashville can match and all. But what is this kind of thing doing to the market in general? The big teams can throw their weight around and force the little guys to submit.

Not liking this trend at all. The owners/gms are a bunch of hypocrites.

You're right. This really is another wedge between the "have's and have not's"! These front-loaded, signing bonus contracts suck. They needed to do away with bonuses or average them into the salary cap hit.

You're right. This really is another wedge between the "have's and have not's"! These front-loaded, signing bonus contracts suck. They needed to do away with bonuses or average them into the salary cap hit.

No kidding. The leak says that the offer sheet has the salary as $1M the first few years, with bonus of $13M or so per year. This is huge upfront cash, and it won't be affected by any CBA roll-back.

Later in the contract it goes to just salary, with the ending years being like $1M per.

Crazy, crazy terms. The big team GM/owners are sticking it to their brethren. NHL versus NHLPA? Hardly. These guys are fighting each other.

I for one am about to just quit it. This cannot end good for the fans. We're really, really gonna get hosed by this.

No kidding. The leak says that the offer sheet has the salary as $1M the first few years, with bonus of $13M or so per year. This is huge upfront cash, and it won't be affected by any CBA roll-back.

Later in the contract it goes to just salary, with the ending years being like $1M per.

Crazy, crazy terms. The big team GM/owners are sticking it to their brethren. NHL versus NHLPA? Hardly. These guys are fighting each other.

I for one am about to just quit it. This cannot end good for the fans. We're really, really gonna get hosed by this.

That's why I really like the hard line taken by the NHL with their first offer to the NHLPA, even though I know it won't ever be ratified. It signals that the league is onto this newest power grab scheme by the big boys in an effort to squash them and keep the parity going.

I can't see this deal getting past Gary's desk it's even more of a cap circumvention than the Kovy deal isn't it?

If Nashville Looses Weber they will need an upgrade on D. We seem to have alot of D men as of late. What do you guys think of a trade for Maybe Fisher or Kostitsyn, if we get Kostitsyn we could always try to sign his Brother and see how that goes, hopefully better than it did in NSH. I think that even if we miss out on the Semin/Doan Sweepstakes there are guys left over we can sign to fill gaps if thats what we have to do. This years market is so inflated I would be nervous to jump in and make a real splash. I hope something happens soon all these delayed signings are bogging down this offseasons Free Agency, and why has no one been traded yet? This whole Nash thing is making CBJ look like Bush league players. I have a feeling once the wheels are in motion things will start going faster. We seem to be poised to makes some deals, all I know is I want my NHL package purchase to not end in buyers remorse again this year!! I live in MA! Lets go JR I have faith.

If Nashville Looses Weber they will need an upgrade on D. We seem to have alot of D men as of late. What do you guys think of a trade for Maybe Fisher or Kostitsyn, if we get Kostitsyn we could always try to sign his Brother and see how that goes, hopefully better than it did in NSH. I think that even if we miss out on the Semin/Doan Sweepstakes there are guys left over we can sign to fill gaps if thats what we have to do. This years market is so inflated I would be nervous to jump in and make a real splash. I hope something happens soon all these delayed signings are bogging down this offseasons Free Agency, and why has no one been traded yet? This whole Nash thing is making CBJ look like Bush league players. I have a feeling once the wheels are in motion things will start going faster. We seem to be poised to makes some deals, all I know is I want my NHL package purchase to not end in buyers remorse again this year!! I live in MA! Lets go JR I have faith.

welcome, u will love the NHL package, im from mass also..

Either JR needs to hurry up and do something, or I need to get a life and just stop checking for updates so much..

I was wondering, would giving David Booth a shot be a bad idea? I'm not sure of his availability, and yes I know about his injury issues, but still - the guy has talent. Just throwing that out there.

Edited by jeromeo87

I can't see this deal getting past Gary's desk it's even more of a cap circumvention than the Kovy deal isn't it?

The summary I saw is a BIG TIME cap avoidance. Think his salary is less than McBain's ... I don't really know that but it was said for effect!

BTW: Did anybody see the Top 30 Defensemen going into this season? Can't remember who published it, maybe Bleacher. Although JR is "comfortable" with our defense, the Canes did not land one person on the list. Not Gleason, not Pitkanen, not Faulk, but McBain made a mention in the "Others" category.

Blah, blah, blah press release. Same old stuff. "He should compete for a job during training camp." Blah blah. 20 guys were competing last year and yet we all knew who would get the spot.

Sorry, I'll get off now. I'm getting very cynical.