The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

I had to go look him up. It appears he is known as a smart, gritty player that likes to hit. From the video I saw he looks like he has a pretty good shot but he is by no means a skill player or scorer. He was un-drafted, and worked his way up through the ECHL, AHL and has played with Pens, Islanders and Bolts in the NHL. Looks like a depth signing to me but I could see him possible vying for a fourth line spot.

If the Preds lose Weber to Philly, I'd like to see the Canes make a play for the Preds sharp shooter Patric Hornqvist.

The Preds will be desperate for short-term D help without Weber, so perhaps we can unload Pitkanen (and some draft picks) for Hornqvist. Then, we can always resign Spacek after the trade.

That said, I'd still like to see the Canes sign UFA Semin first and if not that, sign UFA Petr Sykora.

Again, Sykora would be a nice addition if he can produce similarly to last season. With 21goals, he would have been the Canes #2 goal scorer last season and we don't need to trade anything away to get him!

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

maybe we will get to 4000 posts, before semin signs ::), good to see we are all chatting during summer, someone please tell me there wont be a hold out.. me wont be happy caniac,. :backpeddling:

If the Preds lose Weber to Philly, I'd like to see the Canes make a play for the Preds sharp shooter Patric Hornqvist.

The Preds will be desperate for short-term D help without Weber, so perhaps we can unload Pitkanen (and some draft picks) for Hornqvist. Then, we can always resign Spacek after the trade.

That said, I'd still like to see the Canes sign UFA Semin first and if not that, sign UFA Petr Sykora.

Again, Sykora would be a nice addition if he can produce similarly to last season. With 21goals, he would have been the Canes #2 goal scorer last season and we don't need to trade anything away to get him!

Not sure the Preds would give up Hornqvist, but he's young and can score. He's not very big. So does he have any other attributes? ... toughness? ... shootout skill? ... plays defense? I'm not very familiar with him.

Sykora on the other hand is old(er) and is coming off his prime. His scoring has gradually declined ... could see him potting 15 or so next year.

Edited by Bill_B

BTW: Did anybody see the Top 30 Defensemen going into this season? Can't remember who published it, maybe Bleacher. Although JR is "comfortable" with our defense, the Canes did not land one person on the list. Not Gleason, not Pitkanen, not Faulk, but McBain made a mention in the "Others" category.

That's why we need one more serious forward. Lots of offense and defense by committee. Since the FA price tag on top 30 dmen is through the roof it's hard to see serious help coming on that side. Corvo was it. (One exception if someone falls out on a team with no cap room, but it won't be a top 30 guy).

It also makes me think of two other things.

On the negative: I can't help wondering if JR really had to throw Doumalin into that deal for Staal.

On the positive: I think Justin Faulk will be on that top 30 list sooner than later.

Edited by remkin

We just made our big move by signing Wallace.

Think JR is trying to hit the cap floor by bringing in these guys? Sure does look like the old JR. If he's going after edgy, toughness, there are better guys out there!

That's why we need one more serious forward. Lots of offense and defense by committee. Since the FA price tag on top 30 dmen is through the roof it's hard to see serious help coming on that side. Corvo was it. (One exception if someone falls out on a team with no cap room, but it won't be a top 30 guy).

It also makes me think of two other things.

On the negative: I can't help wondering if JR really had to throw Doumalin into that deal for Staal.

On the positive: I think Justin Faulk will be on that top 30 list sooner than later.

Rem, I agree with your negative and positive statements. I think Faulk has so much upside, it's sick ... more than Skinner. As I recall that list of Top 30 D-men was all or almost all offensive guys. Would really feel better with one more quality stay at home guy like Colaiavoco or Rozsival. And Semin ... and Dominic Moore ,,, and ... and!

I hope Wallace isn't the "fourth-line grit" that we were promised. He may add hustle, but it doesn't look like he add much in the "intimidation" department.

I think jr is really counting on murphy this year.. and hes tooo pensive on semin..

I had to go look him up. It appears he is known as a smart, gritty player that likes to hit. From the video I saw he looks like he has a pretty good shot but he is by no means a skill player or scorer. He was un-drafted, and worked his way up through the ECHL, AHL and has played with Pens, Islanders and Bolts in the NHL. Looks like a depth signing to me but I could see him possible vying for a fourth line spot.

Agreed. It's a one-year two-way deal. If it doesn't work out, no big deal, he's a Checker. I'll trust Muller's judgement.

The guy seems to carry himself pretty well in a fight though, and he likes to hit. His numbers with Tampa weren't bad either to finish up the season.

Agreed. It's a one-year two-way deal. If it doesn't work out, no big deal, he's a Checker. I'll trust Muller's judgement.

The guy seems to carry himself pretty well in a fight though, and he likes to hit. His numbers with Tampa weren't bad either to finish up the season.

In my opinion, he's a big upgrade from Joslin on the fourth line

I'm assuming Wallace was brought in to create a little competition for the bottom 6, always good, and as a depth signing to begin the year in Charlotte. I'm betting he gets 20 games max unless he blows the coaching staff's doors off.

I was wondering, would giving David Booth a shot be a bad idea? I'm not sure of his availability, and yes I know about his injury issues, but still - the guy has talent. Just throwing that out there.

Booth is under contract with the Canucks for the next 3 years. He did run into some injury issues but did make a good line with Kesler and Higgins (despite what many like to think). It would be tough to let him go, but for the right pieces I'm sure the Canes could pry him out of the Canucks hands.

Maybe rugged Wallace on the 4th (Energy) line and maybe get rugged Dominic Moore for the 3rd line center. Not the biggest guys in the league but they can handle themselves and offer a little protection. Maybe Stewart had a physicality attitude adjustment this summer too!

Hope Wallace wears #20!!! Like he did in TB.

A Cane player with my last name, & the number I wear in beer hockey leagues...I will have to buy that jersey.

You will like Tim. I followed him as a Pen...not a ton of skill, but a ton of heart. Gives everything he's got every shift. Could be a good 4th liner...but at 27 it is probably now or never for him to make the move to the NHL.

Edited by rocheccw

You will like Tim. I followed him as a Pen...not a ton of skill, but a ton of heart. Gives everything he's got every shift. Could be a good 4th liner...

I agree from what I recall seeing of him. High energy and effort. Sort of a slightly larger, younger, and much cheaper version of Chad LaRose.

Maybe rugged Wallace on the 4th (Energy) line and maybe get rugged Dominic Moore for the 3rd line center. Not the biggest guys in the league but they can handle themselves and offer a little protection. Maybe Stewart had a physicality attitude adjustment this summer too!

Ron Francis should put him in a cage, starve him and poke him with a stick for a couple weeks straight... then he'd be properly adjusted. At least that's what Michael Vick's autobiography says.

JR talking now.. Has mentioned:

1-looking at trades for top 6 forward

2-looking at Semin (trade AND Semin? that's what it sounded like to me) Said if Semin wanted to go Russia he already would have. Said Semin is very much on the radar.

3-wants enforcer to protect guys like Skinner (Gillies?)

4-through new owners and TV deal, has a lot more money to spend

5-looking at setting up trip to Fort Bragg during preseason training camp as a "team bonding" outing.

6-Not in on Doan.

Edited by jeromeo87

Mentioned on another board, jermone, u know the site im sure, that Chip Alexander is reporting that JR, and Gandler-[semins agent] are talking..

Ft. Bragg really brought the team together in 06 wouldn't be bad to revisit that. Not only that but how frickin fun would that be some of the stuff like repelling and zip lines would make my day.

JR talking now.. Has mentioned:

1-looking at trades for top 6 forward

2-looking at Semin (trade AND Semin? that's what it sounded like to me) Said if Semin wanted to go Russia he already would have. Said Semin is very much on the radar.

3-wants enforcer to protect guys like Skinner (Gillies?)

4-through new owners and TV deal, has a lot more money to spend

5-looking at setting up trip to Fort Bragg during preseason training camp as a "team bonding" outing.

6-Not in on Doan.

Any link to this by chance? thanks

Any link to this by chance? thanks

I'm sure there will be. It was streamed on 99.9.

Anybody else think JR sounded very confident when he was talking about Semin?

As hesitant as I am to say this, I think I am coming around to the Semin camp. The main reason why is because by signing him we still have assets for a trade to REALLY beef this team up. Whether it's going after another top 6 forward or M.Staal, this team could be REALLY good next year.

As hesitant as I am to say this, I think I am coming around to the Semin camp. The main reason why is because by signing him we still have assets for a trade to REALLY beef this team up. Whether it's going after another top 6 forward or M.Staal, this team could be REALLY good next year.

Glad to see you are softening and more open to Semin now.

Clearly, most posts have been turning that way, from what I can see.

IMO, we are one piece away and Semin could be the difference.

Bottom line? Relatively Low Risk / High Reward.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I didn't hear the interview, but could you elaborate on the enforcer topic? You had Gillies in parenthesis in your previous post and that peaked my interest.

I think he's in Russia, but maybe it was a comparison to the type of player that we are looking for?