The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

So if we get Semin and trade for a top 6 (E Kane maybe?) I assume either Ruutu becomes the third line center or we lose Ruutu/Jokinen/Tlusty in the trade.

Still crazy he is ok with this D. I'd much rather sign Semin, sign a 3rd line center, and trade for a top 4 shutdown dman

I didn't hear the interview, but could you elaborate on the enforcer topic? You had Gillies in parenthesis in your previous post and that peaked my interest.

I think he's in Russia, but maybe it was a comparison to the type of player that we are looking for?

All he said is that he wanted to add a fourth line enforcer. I put Gillies just as a guess, but I just saw that he signed with a club in Russia. Ugh. I would have liked him. Kstop, maybe? He's not really an enforcer.. Do you know anything about Zack Stortini?

So if we get Semin and trade for a top 6 (E Kane maybe?) I assume either Ruutu becomes the third line center or we lose Ruutu/Jokinen/Tlusty in the trade.

Still crazy he is ok with this D. I'd much rather sign Semin, sign a 3rd line center, and trade for a top 4 shutdown dman

We would probably lose at least one of Jokinen or Tlusty in a trade for a top 6 forward. Ruutu has a no trade clause. Also, Ruutu's making almost $ 5 mil - that would be one expensive third line center.

As for the d, I guess the beauty in signing Semin is that we can use our assets on other spots of this team.

Edited by jeromeo87

Maybe I'm missing something, but I have to assume that JR is looking to add Semin OR trade for a top 6 guy. I am a lover of offense, but even I don't see the need to add anymore top 6 forwards if we get Semin. Surely if we add Semin to this group the need will be glaring on defensive defense, especially after we traded Doumalin, and our only top tier blue chip prospect is a small offensive dman.

Semin Staal Jussi

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Tlusty/ /LaRose

Add a functional passing checking third line center and that's enough offense, even for me.

Why trade anyone to improve on that?

Now make a move to find a solid stay at home dman and that would help.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I have to assume that JR is looking to add Semin OR trade for a top 6 guy. I am a lover of offense, but even I don't see the need to add anymore top 6 forwards if we get Semin. Surely if we add Semin to this group the need will be glaring on defensive defense, especially after we traded Doumalin, and our only top tier blue chip prospect is a small offensive dman.

Semin Staal Jussi

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Tlusty/ /LaRose

Add a functional passing checking third line center and that's enough offense, even for me.

Why trade anyone to improve on that?

Now make a move to find a solid stay at home dman and that would help.

I think maybe they aren't really looking for Semin to be THE answer. Muller has come out and talked about the kind of top 6 he wants: Big, strong and gritty. Semin isn't that. Just a guess. Besides, we have assets to use NOW to improve the team; however, guys like Pitkanen and Jokinen will have a lot less value a year from since they will only have a year left on the deal. If they are willing to make a big move involving these kinds of players, they need to do it this year.

And call me crazy, but I still wouldn't count us out on Nash, even if we sign Semin. In fact, if we are able to come up with a deal Howson likes, the addition of Semin might convince Nash to expand his list.

I mean, think about it: If we sign Semin to a one year deal and he scores 35-40 goals this year, he may be looking for anything between J.Staal and Nash money. I don't see JR giving a player like Semin that kind of money. Other GMs probably would.

All that being said (and if we actually are out on Nash), I wouldnt be surprised to see them beef up the d.

Edited by jeromeo87

I can't imagine if we got Semin that we would still be shopping for another top 6. I agree with rem that we would then turn our attention to the 3rd and/or fourth line and perhaps defense. Semin would skate right wing with Staal leaving Tlusty or Jokinen on the left side. My guess is Tlusty. Now all we have to do is go get Semin. I wonder what his value is in this crazy off-season.

If and when JR signs Semin, he should look at Dominic Moore as tough 3rd line center (solves protector and 3rd line center problems). He's not an "enforcer" but he's edgy, tough, and can drop the gloves on occasion. As for skill, he can score some, good on face-offs, and good on PK. Another plausible 3rd line UFA center is Jason Arnott: bigger and more offensive production. Then get either UFA Colaiacovo or UFA Rozsival to bolster the defense. Results, 2 UFA's to fill holes and no lost assets.

Therefore if JR still wants to trade for a top 6 wing, he still has all his limited assets to use for Ryan, Nash, somebody from SJS, somebody from Minny, etc.

Edited by Bill_B

I think maybe they aren't really looking for Semin to be THE answer. Muller has come out and talked about the kind of top 6 he wants: Big, strong and gritty. Semin isn't that. Just a guess. Besides, we have assets to use NOW to improve the team; however, guys like Pitkanen and Jokinen will have a lot less value a year from since they will only have a year left on the deal. If they are willing to make a big move involving these kinds of players, they need to do it this year.

And call me crazy, but I still wouldn't count us out on Nash, even if we sign Semin. In fact, if we are able to come up with a deal Howson likes, the addition of Semin might convince Nash to expand his list.

I mean, think about it: If we sign Semin to a one year deal and he scores 35-40 goals this year, he may be looking for anything between J.Staal and Nash money. I don't see JR giving a player like Semin that kind of money. Other GMs probably would.

All that being said (and if we actually are out on Nash), I wouldnt be surprised to see them beef up the d.

Exactly! Signing Semin could potentially make us that much more competitive to be considered a post-season achieving team, and that could be enough to change Nash's reportedly 'unchanging' list. And for those who think that's too much (getting Nash and Semin) it really isn't. First Semin would be signed at most 2 years. Say he does amazing in those 2 seasons and his character was fine. He'll be looking for another longer term but pay increase as well. He'd also most likely be offered a ton of money in the free agency. Also consider signing Semin makes us able to deal a couple of forwards like Jokinen and/or Ruutu (if he agrees to it) and still have enough offense with a single player coming back. And if that player coming back was a legit top-6 (NASH?!) we'd be pretty scary. And then again, if we are out on Nash, we could shop around for maybe a smaller deal for a great top-4 dman. Unless a top-2 is available (doubt it). Also consider this won't happen right after the signing, it'll likely be a few months from now for any trade from us.

I can't imagine if we got Semin that we would still be shopping for another top 6. I agree with rem that we would then turn our attention to the 3rd and/or fourth line and perhaps defense. Semin would skate right wing with Staal leaving Tlusty or Jokinen on the left side. My guess is Tlusty. Now all we have to do is go get Semin. I wonder what his value is in this crazy off-season.

I think Semin would be on the LW, centered by either Jordan or Eric, and Ruutu on the RW. Ruutu still can quite good, whether he will this season we'll see. I don't think Tlusty will begin on the first line, unless he tries RW.

If and when JR signs Semin, he should look at Dominic Moore as tough 3rd line center (solves protector and 3rd line center problems). He's not an "enforcer" but he's edgy, tough, and can drop the gloves on occasion. As for skill, he can score some, good on face-offs, and good on PK. Another plausible 3rd line UFA center is Jason Arnott: bigger and more offensive production. Then get either UFA Colaiacovo or UFA Rozsival to bolster the defense. Results, 2 UFA's to fill holes and no lost assets.

Therefore if JR still wants to trade for a top 6 wing, he still has all his limited assets to use for Ryan, Nash, somebody from SJS, somebody from Minny, etc.

Yes, I mentioned like 30 pages ago before July 1st that we should look at Dominic Moore. He'd be good on the third or fourth line, really. Also mentioned Rozsival, he is a great stay-at-home defenseman veteran. I'd skip on Colaiacovo though.

I think Semin would be on the LW, centered by either Jordan or Eric, and Ruutu on the RW. Ruutu still can quite good, whether he will this season we'll see. I don't think Tlusty will begin on the first line, unless he tries RW.

I agree. Having Semin on the LW with his right shot and Ruutu on the RW with his left shot would make things very easy for either Eric or Jordan.

Well I could see Semin "freeing" us up to move Jussi in a move to land Nash or Ryan or someone like that. It would have to be Jussi, Pits, our first pick next year, plus probably one more piece, but if it ends up being in effect Nash or Ryan ifor Jussi within the top 6 forwards it would be a good deal. Just not sure how much trade value Jussi has at this point. And we need a playmaker.

I'd never say never this year as JR seems to have found a new gear.

Well I could see Semin "freeing" us up to move Jussi in a move to land Nash or Ryan or someone like that. It would have to be Jussi, Pits, our first pick next year, plus probably one more piece, but if it ends up being in effect Nash or Ryan ifor Jussi within the top 6 forwards it would be a good deal. Just not sure how much trade value Jussi has at this point. And we need a playmaker.

I'd never say never this year as JR seems to have found a new gear.

Could be a trade for Marleau, Pavelski, or even Clowe from SJS or Heatley or Setaguchi from the Wild or a forward from St. Louis since they are in need of D.

So with signing Jordan, I understand the thought is that now we become a more desirable destination for top players. What if Semin is a bad locker room guy and we sign him? I wonder if a Semin signing could reverse the desire then for top players to come here?

Bleacher lists 5 teams that would benefit from an "offer sheet" to Jakub Voracek. The Canes were #3 and they thought his skills would work well in Muller's system.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1267455-2012-nhl-free-agents-5-teams-who-should-submit-an-offer-sheet-for-jakub-voracek/page/4

Saw somewhere that his agent was implying he was looking at ~$4M/yr for multi-year deal or less $'s for a 1 yr deal. Thinking is a multi-yr you pay for potential, single year you pay for current value with the idea of paying a lot more to re-sign.

Edited by Bill_B

Bleacher lists 5 teams that would benefit from an "offer sheet" to Jakub Voracek. The Canes were #3 and they thought his skills would work well in Muller's system.

http://bleacherrepor...-voracek/page/4

Saw somewhere that his agent was implying he was looking at ~$4M/yr for multi-year deal or less s for a 1 yr deal. Thinking is a multi-yr you pay for potential, single year you pay for current value with the idea of paying a lot more to re-sign.

Interesting. High draft pick only 22 years old, has already put up three roughly 50 point seasons, and is clearly a very good playmaker on top of his skills gaining the line and keeping the puck in the zone.

I doubt JR does it, but Philly certainly would have it coming after their offer on Weber.

JR does seem very committed to finding a winger for the first line, and if Nash/Ryan/Semin falls through one wonders about these kinds of options.

Interesting. High draft pick only 22 years old, has already put up three roughly 50 point seasons, and is clearly a very good playmaker on top of his skills gaining the line and keeping the puck in the zone.

I doubt JR does it, but Philly certainly would have it coming after their offer on Weber.

JR does seem very committed to finding a winger for the first line, and if Nash/Ryan/Semin falls through one wonders about these kinds of options.

Think for an offer sheet of about $4M a year, it would cost the Canes a 1st & 3rd round pick. That seems pretty reasonable for a high potential top 6 22-year old. Might be able to work a trade(s) for one of those picks.

I don't think JR is the "offer sheet" type of GM, and I don't see that changing in the short term.

If JR's gonna bend, I hope he does it on Semin soon. Sounds like from reports, he's had enough interaction with Semin's agent to have worked out a one year deal if it was doable. Time ticking means an opportunity for someone else to swoop in. Bend JR and offer two years if that's what it takes.

Right now I'd spit my drink out if we did anything for an offseason that was supposed to be exciting in getting our franchise back on track it's been rather disappointing.

If we deal for someone, we lose stuff and screw ourselves elsewhere. The last guy we can sign on a list of A B C D options is the E option in terms of our winger.

CBA talks are more exciting then our offseason.

Right now I'd spit my drink out if we did anything for an offseason that was supposed to be exciting in getting our franchise back on track it's been rather disappointing.

If we deal for someone, we lose stuff and screw ourselves elsewhere. The last guy we can sign on a list of A B C D options is the E option in terms of our winger.

CBA talks are more exciting then our offseason.

I Agree. Hopefully SOMETHING is building from all the small one/two year signings that have been made lately. I just hope we don't shoot ourselves in the foot during the process.

Bowman signs 2 year deal. Second year is one-way. In all honesty, I think Bowman is too ignored here. Kid definitely has an upside.

That's a good signing for the team right there...at a minimum, Bowman can be an excellent player on the 3rd line and at only 23, he has a lot of time to mature into a very good player with 20+ goal potential. Good for him and good for the team.

Website comments about Canes and Semin. Now rumors are Semin wants $7M, at least from the Cane. Here's Chip's quote posted on Spector this morning:

NEWSOBSERVER.COM: Chip Alexander reports UFA winger Alexander Semin is thought to be seeking $7 million or more per season. The Carolina Hurricanes are interested in signing Semin, but only to a one-year contract.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: I’ve also read Semin is willing to accept less than the $6.7 million he earned last season, but also wants a multi-year deal. If Semin is indeed seeking $7 million or more, he’ll have a long, long wait on his hands.

...and here's today's comments from SB Nation:

Update: Carolina Hurricanes Still Interested In Alexander Semin

Alexander Semin remains unsigned 23 days after entering NHL free agency on July 1, but could his long wait end sooner than later? Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford reiterated his interest in the highly-skilled forward Friday at the team's annual FunFest, telling the Raleigh News & Observer that he continues to discuss a one-year deal with Semin's agent.

Teams around the NHL seem scared by the reputation of Semin, a player whose skill cannot be denied but whose attitude has been called into question on many an occasion. Because of that, news that the Hurricanes are only interested in a short-term deal should not be surprising. It seems likely that if and when Semin signs with an NHL team this summer, it will come on a short-term contract as clubs take what they perceive as a gamble on him.

The possibility of a big payday in Russia is just about guaranteed for Semin, but that he's still in North America awaiting a contract suggests that he would rather play in the NHL than in the KHL.

Edited by Bill_B

Bowman signs 2 year deal. Second year is one-way. In all honesty, I think Bowman is too ignored here. Kid definitely has an upside.

I don't think Bowman is being ignored. I think most of us think that of the prospect pool that Bowman has shown the most. The contract certainly indicates the Canes think he is part of the future.

Yes, Bowman is our best "prospect" if one considers Tlusty is beyond prospect. His goals prorate out to 13 for the season. At his age and playing on the checking line still serious upside. He has a nasty wrist shot.

Also could be part of a trade if needed.

NHL draft day we were the center of attention, since then....paint drying. Just sign Semin already.