The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

I don't think Bowman is being ignored. I think most of us think that of the prospect pool that Bowman has shown the most. The contract certainly indicates the Canes think he is part of the future.

By "ignored" I mean he's hardly ever mentioned. He's never in any of our projected line ups, he's hardly ever considered in any trade proposals, like he doesn't carry as much value as other prospects.. But yes, I agree with you that he's our best forward prospect. Our best overall prospect, however, is probably Ryan Murphy.

If you were JR, would you give Semin 7m for a 1 year deal?

That would make him the Canes' second highest paid forward...but in his off year last season, Semin's goals and points totals would have been good enough for second on the team, so by that very crude standard, it is not an outrageous price. Could he be had for two years at 10 or 11 overall? Interesting decisions ahead...

That would make him the Canes' second highest paid forward...but in his off year last season, Semin's goals and points totals would have been good enough for second on the team, so by that very crude standard, it is not an outrageous price. Could he be had for two years at 10 or 11 overall? Interesting decisions ahead...

JR's comments are a bit puzzling, maybe you guys can help. He's mentioned he only wants Semin on a 1 year deal so the organization can "get to know him." However, during his last interview with Forslund he said he's talked around and feels very confident that bringing Semin in wouldn't cause any "issues." If that's true, if he really feels that way, why wouldn't JR want to try to sign Semin to a 2 or 3 year deal at around $5.5 mil, rather than a 1 year, $7 mil contract?

The way contracts are going lately, if Semin has a good year, there's no telling what some GM would offer him next offseason. That leaves us looking for a top line winger again.

If Semin is that good, why haven't any of the NHL teams with deeper pocketbooks made him an offer he can't refuse?

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger - Rick Nash trade to New York Rangers in process now. Details to follow.

Dangit

Keep in mind that in a couple of years Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Capitals are probably going to be in our division.. we need some fire power..

Dubinsky, Erixon, Anisimov, 1st for Nash

That's it? I honestly that they would get something better than that.

Edited by jeromeo87

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL - Well, now we understand why the Blue Jackets held out. They uh...um...

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline - TSN has Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and 1st to #CBJ. Told #CBJ are sending a 3rd-round pick and a minor-league defenseman to the Rangers.

haha..really? Especially considering the Sharks at one point offered a package including Pavelski.. oye..

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch - The Jackets needed to a hit a home run with this deal. This is not a home run. They had better offers at the trade deadline. #NHL

Edited by jeromeo87

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger - Rick Nash trade to New York Rangers in process now. Details to follow.

Dangit

Keep in mind that in a couple of years Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Capitals are probably going to be in our division.. we need some fire power..

Exactly. If Nash wanted Raleigh, seems like we could have offered up Jossi, McBean and a #1 pick and got Nash. That would have been AWESOME!!!! Kinda bummed.

Exactly. If Nash wanted Raleigh, seems like we could have offered up Jossi, McBean and a #1 pick and got Nash. That would have been AWESOME!!!! Kinda bummed.

Yep, I'm thinking JR would have offered a better package - I guess Nash didn't want to change his list. Oh well.

The Ryan/Semin/Doan talks are definitely going to heat up.

Edited by jeromeo87

Yep, I'm thinking JR would have offered a better package - I guess Nash didn't want to change his list. Oh well.

The Ryan/Semin/Doan talks are definitely going to heat up.

Columbus fans don't seem too happy as a group, other than for the wait being over. I agree Jero, teams will now be re-focusing on what's left.

With Nash moving on for next to nothing, expect the interest in Semin (and maybe some more $$) and Ryan to heat up MASSIVELY. JR had better pull the trigger soon if he wants Semin that badly.

With Nash moving on for next to nothing, expect the interest in Semin (and maybe some more $$) and Ryan to heat up MASSIVELY. JR had better pull the trigger soon if he wants Semin that badly.

Time to make a move is definitely upon us...Here's the 4th Period's List of top FAs...most are signed, Colaiacovo, Kostitsyn and Semin should all be targets with an eye on signing at least 2 of those guys.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/top30.html

Edited by Law-Dawg

I can only guess that it was Nash holding up the trade. I can't imagine that the Canes and at least a couple other teams didn't make an offer as good or better than this one. I guess Nash must have wanted to play on a bigger stage after his years in small market hockey. Maybe expectations by some other GMs will now be more reasonable for their star players. Somehow I doubt it.

Damn! Wanted JR to sign Semin while all the big market teams were focused on Nash. Guess NYR had to one-up Philly. They are so competitive and rich!

Now, Semin will be very prominent in the sights of Nash-losers. Wonder if the price for Ryan would be effected? Of course, now that SJS will not be going for Nash, they have 3 very attractive players that could be traded: Pavelski, Marleau, & Clowe.

Have a bad feeling we are going to come away with zilch this summer. Every top FA wants to go Big-Market or back home (Parise & Sutter). Trade for Ryan and he'll want to leave for Flyers in a couple of years unless the Canes can make a significant turn around and become an attractive top player consideration. Or JR & PK can throw a boatload of money to get guys to come/stay here.

Guess NYR is going to "buy" the best team in hockey, like Detroit did about 10 years ago, except NYR will have this unit for several years.

Edited by Bill_B

Damn! Wanted JR to sign Semin while all the big market teams were focused on Nash. Guess NYR had to one-up Philly. They are so competitive and rich!

Now, Semin will be very prominent in the sights of Nash-losers. Wonder if the price for Ryan would be effected? Of course, now that SJS will not be going for Nash, they have 3 very attractive players that could be traded: Pavelski, Marleau, & Clowe.

Have a bad feeling we are going to come away with zilch this summer. Every top FA wants to go Big-Market or back home (Parise & Sutter). Trade for Ryan and he'll want to leave for Flyers in a couple of years unless the Canes can make a significant turn around and become an attractive top player consideration. Or JR & PK can throw a boatload of money to get guys to come/stay here.

That's my feeling aswell. I'm thinking the best we'll get is some player a team lets go due to the new CBA.

Next summer has several good UFA's (Corey Perry :crossfingers:). One thing that does give me some hope about our odds next free agency is that the new CBA will likely address huge front loaded contracts. So, maybe next summer we'll get a top player?

IMO, we need to make a big acquistion now while Eric and Cam are still in prime condition. We can't miss the playoffs another year in a row. I wish we could either sign Semin for 1-2 years, or trade for Bobby Ryan (haven't heard any rumors about him at all lately). I'm doubtful about our odds with either one. I've written off Doan since if he doesn't resign with the Coyotes, he'll go to a cup contender for a chance at winning the cup before his career ends.

I thought so too. Guess Columbus decided that it was better to get something than to keep an unhappy Nash.

Dangit

What I do not get is how the Rangers have plenty of cap room...

Well everyone has plenty of Cap with the new levels this season.

Rangers pretty much traded Nash's cap spaces with those 3 players. They still have to re-sign Del Zotto. They are still looking at 10+ million in cap space. They have good cap space because they havent blown salary on a FA dman whose salaries have gone astrnomically. They have done a great job at drafting.

Edited by gocanes0506

I think JR got our elite forward like he said he would when we acquired Jordan and improved our top 6. I don't see us signing Semin now. At least for the first time since I have been a Canes fan we have actually targeted and tried to sign elite players. I don't ever remember us doing this. Maybe the Federov thing about that's about it.

Canes sign Boychuk. 1 year, two-way.

Zach Boychuk ‏@ZachBoychuk - Happy to be back with the Canes for another year! I guess its time to find a new number. Any recommendations?

poor Chuky..

Edited by jeromeo87

Not sure JR knows how to go after an "elite" player whether through free agency or a trade. PK probably has him so tight, JR tries to nickel & dime everybody, when the Canes are not an ideal team destination.

Canes sign Boychuk. 1 year, two-way.

What a #1 bust.

Not sure JR knows how to go after an "elite" player whether through free agency or a trade. PK probably has him so tight, JR tries to nickel & dime everybody, when the Canes are not an ideal team destination.

What a #1 bust.

I think JR HAS to nickel & dime everybody. Remember, JR doesn't get to decide how much money is spent. He has a budget set by the big man in charge.

Edited by jeromeo87

http://thehockeywriters.com/shj/kitchener-rangers-coach-steve-spott-discusses-ryan-murphy/

Kitchener Rangers coach, Steve Spott, has some pretty great things to say about Murphy. Makes me think this guy might be ready to go full-time next year. Spott says Murphy is probably a lot better defensively than people think.

"...despite all the talk of Murphy’s offensive prowess, scouts have constantly questioned his defensive abilities. Many puck-moving blueliners are victims of such criticism in their teenage years, but Spott doesn’t think this will be a problem for Murphy moving forward.

“His defensive game is underrated,” he said. “I think that’s going to be the gel for Ryan. It’s not a matter that he can’t do it—it’s a buy-in. He needs to buy into Carolina’s system.

“But we’ve had no issues with him. For me, it’s all there.”

His coach’s assurance notwithstanding, these worries won’t be put to rest until Murphy proves he can handle the defensive workload in the NHL. And once Murphy makes it to Carolina, it will be up to the Canes’ brass to help him adjust.

“Kirk (Muller) is going to have to trust him when he puts him out there on the ice,” Spott said. “Kirk will know what Ryan can do offensively, but he’s going to have to trust him defensively as well.”