The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Jay Harrison extension posts moved to their own thread.

Boychuck Needs more time in the NHL in order to reach the next level. Maybe a change of scenery would do wonders for him. It's Not that I want him moved, but just saying, it might be what he needs

JR's inking in all these short term signing to either give players one last chance, or he's cooking up a package deal for a big trade. :letssee:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline - Told Rick Nash was asked to expand his list over the weekend, not for a specific deal, but to ease the process for #CBJ. He declined.

I think we should make an effort to sign Colaiacovo and trade another Dman to make room. Colaiacovo would really upgrade the defensive aspect of our D along with helping get us to the cap floor.

Boychuck Needs more time in the NHL in order to reach the next level. Maybe a change of scenery would do wonders for him. It's Not that I want him moved, but just saying, it might be what he needs

I think his only reasonable chance is a change of scenery. Most likely possibility, a swap of underperformers. Can't imagine he has any more trade value than that.

Muller sent Boychuk down swiftly and with prejudice. Boychuk would have to walk on water at this point.

I have had hope for him for a while, but now it is a long shot.

What I really wonder is wherefore art thou Dalpe?

What we can hope for if camp goes well is that Bowman proves himself and gets a full time roster spot; Welsh signs and does the same, locking up that 3rd line...Harrison for 1.5/yr for the next 3 is a steal. If we could grab this version of Kostitsyn I think this team has enough on the offensive end to really excel.

Kostitsyn Staal Jokinen

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Tlusty Welsh Bowman

For the 4th line you can take your pick of Nodl, Stewart, LaRose, Dwyer to play with Brent. Welsh is an "X Factor" but if he can handle it, that's one heck of a young, talented line with lots of secondary scoring.

Defensively we're not too horrible right now

Gleason/Corvo

Pitkenen/Faulk

Harrison/McBain

with Sanguinetti and Murphy challenging for spots...I have faith in Dave Lewis that he can get these guys to play well enough, close the gap space, challenge and keep it moving North/South.

Just need that winger!!!

Not sure JR knows how to go after an "elite" player whether through free agency or a trade. PK probably has him so tight, JR tries to nickel & dime everybody, when the Canes are not an ideal team destination.

What a #1 bust.

Boychuk is not a bust yet! While I agree he has not developed as fast as everyone would like...some players take longer to adjust to the speed, & skill of the NHL...And yes some never make it and become bust.

I'm still hoping he is a late bloomer...but he is running out of time with the Canes...at the end of the year he will be an RFA if the Canes qualify him again.

I just don't understand Boychuk...if the difference between one paycheck & another is $525,000...I would be killing myself during the summer to come in...in the best shape of my life, & do whatever it took to stick with the big club...After seeing what Skinner did at 18...I would have been begging Gary Roberts to let me come work out with him during the summer.

My gut still tells me that Boychuk breaks through with his second NHL team.

What we can hope for if camp goes well is that Bowman proves himself and gets a full time roster spot; Welsh signs and does the same, locking up that 3rd line...Harrison for 1.5/yr for the next 3 is a steal. If we could grab this version of Kostitsyn I think this team has enough on the offensive end to really excel.

Kostitsyn Staal Jokinen

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Tlusty Welsh Bowman

For the 4th line you can take your pick of Nodl, Stewart, LaRose, Dwyer to play with Brent. Welsh is an "X Factor" but if he can handle it, that's one heck of a young, talented line with lots of secondary scoring.

Defensively we're not too horrible right now

Gleason/Corvo

Pitkenen/Faulk

Harrison/McBain

with Sanguinetti and Murphy challenging for spots...I have faith in Dave Lewis that he can get these guys to play well enough, close the gap space, challenge and keep it moving North/South.

Just need that winger!!!

No love for LaRose? The guy does put up numbers.. Anyway, I doubt Kostitsyn is the answer. I think JR would overpay in a trade before hoping Kostitsyn can be the man.

As for the D, it needs to be revamped. Yes, Gleason-Corvo will most likely be our top pairing. But I still think one of Pitkanen or McBain is expendable. One- to create room for Murphy (who I think will be ready to go) and/or Two- create room to bring in someone with size, a defensive mindset, and shot blocking ability.

I think we should make an effort to sign Colaiacovo and trade another Dman to make room. Colaiacovo would really upgrade the defensive aspect of our D along with helping get us to the cap floor.

You got me thinking. This is a long shot, but here it goes.

We sign Carlo Colaiacovo, trade Pitkanen/McBain + 1st round pick for a 2nd line centerman, then trade aforementioned 2nd line centerman + Jokinen + prospect for Bobby Ryan.

We esstentially replace Pitkanen/McBain with Colaiacovo, and Jokinen with Bobby Ryan.

As I said, its a long shot but hey, its the offseason. At this point, I think we'd be very lucky to get either Semin (assuming JR doesn't give a 2 year or longer contract) or Bobby Ryan.

I really don't want us to have to wait till next summer to sign a top UFA winger only to fail for the second summer in a row. We need to get our long sought after 1st line winger this summer so we'll finally make the playoffs this season. But I don't think we'll get our top winger this summer.

Edited by Mercury-VII

You got me thinking. This is a long shot, but here it goes.

We sign Carlo Colaiacovo, trade Pitkanen/McBain + 1st round pick for a 2nd line centerman, then trade aforementioned 2nd line centerman + Jokinen + prospect for Bobby Ryan.

We esstentially replace Pitkanen/McBain with Colaiacovo, and Jokinen with Bobby Ryan.

As I said, its a long shot but hey, its the offseason. At this point, I think we'd be very lucky to get either Semin (assuming JR doesn't give a 2 year or longer contract) or Bobby Ryan.

I really don't want us to have to wait till next summer to sign a top UFA winger only to fail for the second summer in a row. We need to get our long sought after 1st line winger this summer so we'll finally make the playoffs this season. But I don't think we'll get our top winger this summer.

That concept is workable if you can find a 2nd line center that might be attractive to the Ducks and the Canes can get for Pitkanen and a 1st or 2nd round pick ... although may need the 1st rounder for Ryan. Believe St Louis was (is) looking for a puck-moving defenseman but do they have a 2nd line center? What about Minny or Boston? Of course, Jussi is so versatile, he can be "the" center ... he led the Canes in F/O % last year.

BTW: I think Carlo would be a good D choice but Rozsival could be an acceptable alternative.

Edited by Bill_B

Boychuk is not a bust yet! While I agree he has not developed as fast as everyone would like...some players take longer to adjust to the speed, & skill of the NHL...And yes some never make it and become bust.

I only meant as a 1st round pick. He could still catch on somewhere but I don't think it will be here under Capt Kirk.

That concept is workable if you can find a 2nd line center that might be attractive to the Ducks and the Canes can get for Pitkanen and a 1st or 2nd round pick ... although may need the 1st rounder for Ryan. Believe St Louis was (is) looking for a puck-moving defenseman but do they have a 2nd line center? What about Minny or Boston? Of course, Jussi is so versatile, he can be "the" center ... he led the Canes in F/O % last year.

BTW: I think Carlo would be a good D choice but Rozsival could be an acceptable alternative.

Yes, the problem would be the 2nd line centerman. He would have to be good enough for the Ducks, and at the same time we couldn't overpay for him because we need enough pieces for Bobby Ryan. Besides those two things, we would likely have to get the centerman from a team that needs defense since thats one position we have enough of to comfortably trade away (if we sign either Colaiacovo or Rozsival).

Several roadblocks for us to get Bobby Ryan. But if JR is real serious about getting a top winger as he seems to be, I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

In fantasy land, we sign Colaiacovo or Rozsival, get Bobby Ryan, and sign a gritty bottom six forward. I certainly won't get my hopes up about all that. We'd be lucky to just get Bobby Ryan.

Edited by Mercury-VII

Yes, the problem would be the 2nd line centerman. He would have to be good enough for the Ducks, and at the same time we couldn't overpay for him because we need enough pieces for Bobby Ryan. Besides those two things, we would likely have to get the centerman from a team that needs defense since thats one position we have enough of to comfortably trade away (if we sign either Colaiacovo or Rozsival).

Several roadblocks for us to get Bobby Ryan. But if JR is real serious about getting a top winger as he seems to be, I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

In fantasy land, we sign Colaiacovo or Rozsival, get Bobby Ryan, and sign a gritty bottom six forward. I certainly won't get my hopes up about all that. We'd be lucky to just get Bobby Ryan.

Yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath on this happening either. I think Ryan is a no-go for the Canes. He would be gone to Philly in a couple of years anyway.

Speaking of Philly, they just lost Weber back to the Preds. Maybe we could trade Pitkanen for Voracek. I know there was some bad blood with Pitkanen in Philly but that was a long time ago. Are any of the affected parties still there?

Just sign Semin.

Sheesh.

Looks like another year out of the playoffs. The Staal deal is not going to make a significant difference. The Semin deal is a must!! The recent inhouse signings tell me that the canes are nowhere with additional trades to help the powerless offense.

Edited by slapshot02

Looks like another year out of the playoffs. The Staal deal is not going to make a significant difference. The Semin deal is a must!! The recent inhouse signings tell me that the canes are nowhere with additional trades to help the powerless offense.

Sign'em and trade'em, with the exception of Samson. He looks stronger and more skilled everytime I see him. I'd like to get another look at Terry playing with the big boys.

C'mon man! You use your first post here to write THAT?

The Semin deal is not a must...it's a nice to have. We can still be a playoff caliber team next season without him. Jordan Staal was a must...and we got him. Obviously the holding pattern we've all been in since draft night is getting tiresome on the fan base...but we still have a few months to go.

Wouldn't say outta the playoffs..KM has training camp and a full season this time around. Hold that thought until sometime around Dec./Jan.

I would say the Semin deal is a must, but I don't agree that getting Jordan Staal won't make a significant difference. Eric shouldn't have a slow start with his brother on the team, and Jordan will get to flourish his offensive skills, either alongside his brother or on the second line, which is a scary thought considering how good he is offensively already.

I would say the Semin deal is a must, but I don't agree that getting Jordan Staal won't make a significant difference. Eric shouldn't have a slow start with his brother on the team, and Jordan will get to flourish his offensive skills, either alongside his brother or on the second line, which is a scary thought considering how good he is offensively already.

The Staal deal was a great deal!! But Jordan alone is not going to be the end all. If we are done with any additional trades this year don't expect a significant difference in our league standings. Sometimes reality stings. We are still in need of two top six wingers. I'm not saying we need to get it done all at once, but 1 winger is critical. As a previous season tkt holder, I would love to see us make a run this year, just don't count on it if Jordan is the only move we make.

Just sign Semin.

Sheesh.

It takes two to tango, and we don't know exactly what Semin is asking for, or how seriously he is looking at us for signing.

The Voracek talk is interesting. He's clearly a playmaker - he would look pretty good feeding pucks to a Sniper like Semin..

Philly is definitely looking for D. I doubt they would be interested in Pitkanen, though there is new management there, including the coach who had a part in bringing him to Carolina.

I think they only have 1 right-handed dman, think they would be interested in McBain?

Or perhaps they would rather keep Voracek and deal Simmonds. I would take either. Muller has talked a lot about adding size and grit - Simmonds is that.

Edited by jeromeo87

The Voracek talk is interesting. He's clearly a playmaker - he would look pretty good feeding pucks to a Sniper like Semin..

Philly is definitely looking for D. I doubt they would be interested in Pitkanen, though there is new management there, including the coach who had a part in bringing him to Carolina.

I think they only have 1 right-handed dman, think they would be interested in McBain?

Or perhaps they would rather keep Voracek and deal Simmonds. I would take either. Muller has talked a lot about adding size and grit - Simmonds is that.

Philly brought Pronger in cause he's an all around dman than can play in all situations. As Tripp likes to say, he plays on the 5 on 3 PP and the 5 on 3 PK. He is also very physical with a nasty side. That is what they missed in the playoffs. I would think that is what they're trying to replace now. I won't say a McBain or a Pitkanen won't happen but they have more pressing needs I'd think. I don't follow the Flyers though so I could be wrong.

... The recent inhouse signings tell me that the canes are nowhere with additional trades to help the powerless offense.

Boychuk signing tells me that JR and company are giving him one last shot before he's kicked to the curb. The Harrison signing tells me they are pleased with his development and feel that he's a viable bottom pairing dman that they don't want to lose/replace. A lot can and will happen between now and when that first puck drops.