The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Yep one things for sure.. Boychuck needs a new number!

O'Neil tweeted that he should use 92!

Yep one things for sure.. Boychuck needs a new number!

O'Neil tweeted that he should use 92!

I'm a little shocked that everyone is still freaking out over the top 6. "Powerless offense" "We need TWO more top 6 wingers?!" We added 1 good top 6 guy and now have a very respectable top 6 with Ruutu, E Staal, Tlusty, Jokinen, Skinner, J Staal. Tlusty is the "weak link" in there but he showed he's no slouch last year. It's not like we have Larose and Samson in our top 6 anymore.

We have a much bigger need at defense right now-I'd love another top 6 winger, but we need a good stay at home defenseman way worse! We lost Allen and remained practically unchanged besides that from last year. Everyone knows how many shots Cam faced. Why is everyone still prioritizing the top 6 over the D?

The Staal deal was a great deal!! But Jordan alone is not going to be the end all. If we are done with any additional trades this year don't expect a significant difference in our league standings. Sometimes reality stings. We are still in need of two top six wingers. I'm not saying we need to get it done all at once, but 1 winger is critical. As a previous season tkt holder, I would love to see us make a run this year, just don't count on it if Jordan is the only move we make.

Oh of course Jordan isn't going to be the end all, but the way you worded it made it seem like getting him would amount to nothing. We absolutely need a top 6 winger without losing half our team and farm, and Semin would fit that criteria.

I also think we need to think long and hard about Dwyer and Nodl. I like the guys and they play great defensively, but with Sutter gone the Offensive threat(little as it was) is essentially gone. Brent and Stewart EACH had as many goals as BOTH of the third line wingers last year playing mostly fourth line minutes. Moving forward I don't think this can continue...maybe its time to demote/let one go.

I think that Nodl played pretty well last year. And since Dwyer=LaRose and the latter played pretty well last year, I think I'd get rid of Dwyer. We do have a log jam in the 3rd and 4th. I think we need to let Stewart go too-I like him but he just hasn't produced at all.

I think that Nodl played pretty well last year. And since Dwyer=LaRose and the latter played pretty well last year, I think I'd get rid of Dwyer. We do have a log jam in the 3rd and 4th. I think we need to let Stewart go too-I like him but he just hasn't produced at all.

I wouldn't trade Dwyer. Let me rephrase that I would trade Dwyer if the trade called for it but I wouldn't want to. I think Dwyer is maybe the most underrated player we have in the role he is called on to play. Steady, good defensive and tough to play against. You won't get a bunch of goals from him but I think he makes our 3rd or 4th line better.

Stewart is a mystery to me. At times he looks like he could become a really good winger. But his bursts are brief and he often looks like he struggles to keep up with the play. I think if he concentrated more on improving and less on his goalie hop he might be a darn good player. He just doesn't seem to fit our team. Maybe a change of scenery would help him find his game.

Nodl plays well enough and LaRose is kind of player you want. LaRose is also a potential 20 goal scorer. Lets face it if the right trade comes along any of them could go.

The good thing about Stewart this year is that his contract helps get us close to the cap floor and for now that means keeping him. As for Dwyer I know he is very helpful but in my opinion we cant use him above the fourth line and expect to win. Adding Larose to the third line will probably help Nodl produce more and with the right center I can see that working.

Dwyer has been playing in a defense-only position, at the expense of pretty much any offense. That was the role the third line was asked to play, so I don't hold it against the third line wingers for not producing more offensively.

After the World Championships, where he seemed to really impress Muller and Rutherford (as well as many outside the organization), I think it would be a good idea to see how he can be used in Muller's system before writing him off as not being helpful to have. He has a good bit of speed, and it looks like Muller will be utilizing speed more to the team's advantage.

Besides, someone has to play on the PK, and having already lost two of the top 4 PKers (#2 Allen, #3 Sutter), it might be rough losing #4 as well.

Our top 6 is much much better with J Staal. That addition lessens the urgency of getting that top winger, and I do think a big solid stay at home positionally sound defenseman is a need.

The problem with our top 6 is that we need guys to either return to form or show that their 27 game run was not a fluke. As pointed out, Ruutu needs to get back to 50+ point land and still hit people, Jussi needs to pot a few more goals, Tlusty needs to prove that he's not a 27 game wonder, Skinner needs to show that he has his head together and can offer a bit more team game. J.Staal needs to show that he can produce like we have paid him to. E.Staal needs to show up day one. And they all need to stay healthy.

Semin would give us one more piece that allowed at least one of those things not to happen and we'd still have serious firepower. Also, Semin, if on his game is a dynamic player like Skinner and E.Staal, who demands defensive attention and can disrupt the defense. And if and when a top 6 guy goes down, a guy like Tlusty can slide in there with much less drop off.

Our top 6 is leagues better simply due to this equation: J.Staal > LaRose. And 3rd line LaRose >> 1st line LaRose.

So, if we end up not getting Semin or Ryan etc., we still are much better up front and we were 15th in offense last year, so we'll be OK. The thing is we need to be better than ok if we are going to lead the league in shots against.

I'm a little shocked that everyone is still freaking out over the top 6. "Powerless offense" "We need TWO more top 6 wingers?!" We added 1 good top 6 guy and now have a very respectable top 6 with Ruutu, E Staal, Tlusty, Jokinen, Skinner, J Staal. Tlusty is the "weak link" in there but he showed he's no slouch last year. It's not like we have Larose and Samson in our top 6 anymore.

We have a much bigger need at defense right now-I'd love another top 6 winger, but we need a good stay at home defenseman way worse! We lost Allen and remained practically unchanged besides that from last year. Everyone knows how many shots Cam faced. Why is everyone still prioritizing the top 6 over the D?

I don't think anyone is freaking out over the top 6. The difference in opinion is that I do not consider Tlusty or Jokinen to be in our top 6 of choice. The powerless offense equates to being ranked 27th on 5 on 5 skating, 20th on the powerplay, 16th in GPG. I do agree that the D can be a concern with the loss of Allen as we ranked 25th in goals against last yr. Overall we were ranked 23 in overall points and 27th in wins. I love Jordan Staal, but we need more help. As much as I would love to see the two Staal's on a line together we are better off splitting them on the top two lines to make the top two lines stronger.

our boy Ruutu makes 5m a year and scored a whopping 32 points last season. He also needs to step his game up. Especially for what he is making.

It's hard to disagree with this. I know Ruutu brings a lot more to the table that doesn't end up on the score sheet, but he needs to bring in more than 32 points. Having a line of Semin-Staal-Ruutu would probably fix that. :thumbsup2:

Some good points here. Allen led this team in blocked shots last year. With Ward facing as many shots as he does, I'm afraid we are really going to miss Allen.

If we sign Semin, it might be a good idea to use some of the assets we would have used in a trade for top 6 to use on our defense. Anyone for trying to bring in the missing Staal brother?

Dwyer has been playing in a defense-only position, at the expense of pretty much any offense. That was the role the third line was asked to play, so I don't hold it against the third line wingers for not producing more offensively.

After the World Championships, where he seemed to really impress Muller and Rutherford (as well as many outside the organization), I think it would be a good idea to see how he can be used in Muller's system before writing him off as not being helpful to have. He has a good bit of speed, and it looks like Muller will be utilizing speed more to the team's advantage.

Besides, someone has to play on the PK, and having already lost two of the top 4 PKers (#2 Allen, #3 Sutter), it might be rough losing #4 as well.

Dwyer did look pretty darn good in the World Championships. He's definitely underrated. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the 3rd line with LaRose; though, that wouldn't be a lot of size, and we still think we need a third line center.

JR has also been talking about a 4th line enforcer. My prediction is Zack Stortini.

As for Dwyer, Muller said at season end that Patty was asked to foresake offense for a shut-down defensive role. And you mentioned how good he looked offensively at this year's WC. His speed is probably the best on the team or maybe 2nd to E. Staal (LaRose on the other hand is about the slowest, especially for a little guy!). That being said, I think Tlusty, Jokinen, and any bottom 6 forwards can be traded, in the right situation.

BTW: Hockey News abstract talks about Canes and Semin...

Hurricanes interested in Semin?

by Lyle Richardson - July 24, 2012 1:22 PM EDT

Is Carolina talking contract with the Russian winger?; who is interested in Tim Thomas?; and more.

Former Washington Capitals left winger Alexander Semin remains unsigned, but at least one NHL team is interested in him. Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer tweeted Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is still in the market for a top-six forward and has had several conversations with Semin’s agent, Mark Gandler, regarding a one-year contract.

However, today "Eklund" has Semin signing with Pittsburgh by the weekend!!! (edit: Given JR's track record, I tend to go with Eklund on this one.)

Edited by Bill_B

The bottom 6 has about 17 competitors, if you count getting an "enforcer" and/or a "rugged 3rd line center" and a top 6 wing (Semin?) which will push either Tlusty or Jokinen to the 3rd iine. Guess this also represents the forwards/prospects available for trade. (There is no particular order to the players other than position)

LW___________________ C____________________RW

Tlusty/Jokinen.................."New Guy"..............................Dwyer

Stewart..................................Brent...................................LaRose

"Enforcer".............................Welsh....................................Nodl

Bowman...............................Rask..................................Wallace

Sutter....................................Dalpe..................................Samson

Boychuk................................Nash

Edited by Bill_B

Canes still lack a in-his-prime winger with a lightning-quick release and accuracy.

JR, please go get Semin already!!

Give him three years at 8, 6 and 5 mil per. This way if he's not a "fit" we can get something nice for him in a trade due to the low salary in the out years. On the plus side, Semin could easily be our 40-GOAL guy!!!

Canes still lack a in-his-prime winger with a lightning-quick release and accuracy.

Give him three years at 8, 6 and 5 mil per. This way if he's not a "fit" we can get something nice for him in a trade due to the low salary in the out years. On the plus side, Semin could easily be our 40-GOAL guy!!!

Rumors now are he's looking for around $7 mil. I'm not sure if that's number he wants for a 1 year deal, or that's the number he wants for multiple years.

Rumors now are he's looking for around $7 mil. I'm not sure if that's number he wants for a 1 year deal, or that's the number he wants for multiple years.

Ummmmm....ok. Give him one year at 7 or 2 at 12ish.

I'm sold.

Personally, I hope to see the Canes move back to the ideology that helped win the Cup.

Get away from Mo's system that had a dedicated checking line and move back to a system that employs 3 efficient scoring lines backed up by a tough, gritty fourth line.

I think that's what Muller wants to do and I also think the fact that JR continues to fill the roster with puck movers on the back end is likely part of that process.

I'll continue to be patient with the roster moves (or the lack thereof), particularly if the outcome results in what I described above.

Personally, I hope to see the Canes move back to the ideology that helped win the Cup.

Get away from Mo's system that had a dedicated checking line and move back to a system that employs 3 efficient scoring lines backed up by a tough, gritty fourth line.

I think that's what Muller wants to do and I also think the fact that JR continues to fill the roster with puck movers on the back end is likely part of that process.

I'll continue to be patient with the roster moves (or the lack thereof), particularly if the outcome results in what I described above.

I agree with this. I, too, think Muller wants to run three scoring lines. If we are able to add someone like Semin, one of either Tlusty or Jokinen would find their way to the third line, so that would help.

I still think we need at least one more big body, defenseman on the back end. Maybe not someone to play every game (meaning, switching between him and Murphy), but someone like Vandermeer would help. Because essentially we replaced Allen with Corvo.. :huh:

I concur!! except I would only offer a 2 year 7/7 deal. If he does not work out we would not be able to trade him, unless another team is totally desperate. Look how long he has been available. I think whoever lands Semin will be in for a chance of seeing his best year ever. He needs to clean up his work ethic or it will be off to the KHL.

Of course Semin gets that done. Pushing LaRose and Tlusty to the 3rd line wings who are both potential 20 goal scorers. But at this point any first line winger added to our current roster could do it.

Of course if Tlusty is ready for primetime and if Bowman steps up the scoring, LaRose and Bowman on the third line could do it without us adding anyone.

On another note, sort of, say we offered Semin a tasty signing bonus, but then the deal was say $5.5 million/year for 3 years. How could we not trade Semin with that kind of contract to someone for anything? So, a $3 million signing bonus, then 3 years for $5.5 million per. Gets rid of the main risk of Semin, being stuck with him if it doesn't work out.

Edited by remkin

I think everyone would love to see it!! Unfortunately JR and PK are getting more credit than they deserve. Jordan never would of come to Carolina if it was not for Eric. I understand that it is difficult to get a top name player to come to a non traditional market hockey team, but JR and PK have not made a (trade) in six years for a player that can produce goals. On the good side there are still two Staal's (Jared/Marc)out there for the future. LOL

Just curious - has JR come out and said how much cap room they will use this upcoming year? They haven't even got to the cap floor yet, but will he be spending beyond that?

I think everyone would love to see it!! Unfortunately JR and PK are getting more credit than they deserve. Jordan never would of come to Carolina if it was not for Eric. I understand that it is difficult to get a top name player to come to a non traditional market hockey team, but JR and PK have not made a (trade) in six years for a player that can produce goals. On the good side there are still two Staal's (Jared/Marc)out there for the future. LOL

Doug Weight and Mark Rechi. That year was cup or bust though. But man! Were we aggressive in acquiring more skill.

Doug Weight and Mark Rechi. That year was cup or bust though. But man! Were we aggressive in acquiring more skill.

I wasn't speaking about rented players for a few months. I'm looking for a multi year player.