The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

I think everyone would love to see it!! Unfortunately JR and PK are getting more credit than they deserve. Jordan never would of come to Carolina if it was not for Eric. I understand that it is difficult to get a top name player to come to a non traditional market hockey team, but JR and PK have not made a (trade) in six years for a player that can produce goals. On the good side there are still two Staal's (Jared/Marc)out there for the future. LOL

Jared is in our system

... On the good side there are still two Staal's (Jared/Marc)out there for the future. LOL

Unfortunately, Jared did not get a full dose of Staal hockey genes. He will be lucky to make the Checkers and if he does, he probably will not get a lot of minutes. As for Marc, why would he want to leave NYR. He's well positioned with a Cup contender. He's not like Jordan, who was buried behind Crosby and Malkin. Jordan needed a change of scenery to have a shot at flourishing.

Just curious - has JR come out and said how much cap room they will use this upcoming year? They haven't even got to the cap floor yet, but will he be spending beyond that?

$1 above the floor the way he's going. :-}

Edited by Bill_B

This is my prediction:

'Canes sign Semin to either 1 yr or 2 yr deal, then sign Rozsival to a 2 year deal. Rozsival provides sound defense with a stay-at-home mentality. Also brings veteran presence. Semin provides 30+ goals and hopefully 65+ points and vastly improves our top-6.

Both signings give Carolina a lot of things, besides the players themselves. Semin's offense and Roszival's defense make Carolina look a lot better. Our D doesn't look so weak, and our offense looks very promising. So our organization looks more appealing to future FA's (next year), not to mention resigning key players (Skinner, etc). The signings also give the 'Canes more options in a trade. With Rozsival signed, our D looks pretty full. Rozsival also would make losing Pitkanen much more bearable. So anywhere from the day we sign these two to the trade deadline this coming season, we are more able to make a deal that can bring back another top 6 winger, say Ryan or Iginla. I'm not saying we will acquire these two I'm just trying to set the image of the type of player we'd potentially pursue. Or we could make a deal and bring in a real top 2 dman.

Top 6: Eric, Jordan, Skinner, Ruutu, Jokinen, Semin (This makes it likely we can deal Ruut or Jokinen or both to acquire another top-6, then insert anyone who potentially impresses or forces his way into the top-6 like Tlusty, Samson, Bowman, etc)

Defense: Pitkanen, Corvo, Gleason, Faulk, McBain, Rozsival, Harrison, Sanguinetti?, Murphy?, Gragnani? (Signing Rozsival would make a bad situation worse in terms of overcrowding in our D corps, but he directly improves defensive defense, and provides a presence in our D that we have none of since losing Allen. We can potentially make a huge trade with a couple D, a couple forwards, and maybe a pick and a prospect for someone like Ryan, Iginla, Bouwmeester, Marleau and Clowe, Kane, Lucic, Edler, Clutterbuck and Heatley or Setoguchi or Cullen, Weber?, you get my point)

This is my prediction:

'Canes sign Semin to either 1 yr or 2 yr deal, then sign Rozsival to a 2 year deal. Rozsival provides sound defense with a stay-at-home mentality. Also brings veteran presence. Semin provides 30+ goals and hopefully 65+ points and vastly improves our top-6.

Both signings give Carolina a lot of things, besides the players themselves. Semin's offense and Roszival's defense make Carolina look a lot better. Our D doesn't look so weak, and our offense looks very promising. So our organization looks more appealing to future FA's (next year), not to mention resigning key players (Skinner, etc). The signings also give the 'Canes more options in a trade. With Rozsival signed, our D looks pretty full. Rozsival also would make losing Pitkanen much more bearable. So anywhere from the day we sign these two to the trade deadline this coming season, we are more able to make a deal that can bring back another top 6 winger, say Ryan or Iginla. I'm not saying we will acquire these two I'm just trying to set the image of the type of player we'd potentially pursue. Or we could make a deal and bring in a real top 2 dman.

Top 6: Eric, Jordan, Skinner, Ruutu, Jokinen, Semin (This makes it likely we can deal Ruut or Jokinen or both to acquire another top-6, then insert anyone who potentially impresses or forces his way into the top-6 like Tlusty, Samson, Bowman, etc)

Defense: Pitkanen, Corvo, Gleason, Faulk, McBain, Rozsival, Harrison, Sanguinetti?, Murphy?, Gragnani? (Signing Rozsival would make a bad situation worse in terms of overcrowding in our D corps, but he directly improves defensive defense, and provides a presence in our D that we have none of since losing Allen. We can potentially make a huge trade with a couple D, a couple forwards, and maybe a pick and a prospect for someone like Ryan, Iginla, Bouwmeester, Marleau and Clowe, Kane, Lucic, Edler, Clutterbuck and Heatley or Setoguchi or Cullen, Weber?, you get my point)

Love to see some of this happen, i would be happy as a clam, i just feel that Detroit is lurking out there..

.... We can potentially make a huge trade with a couple D, a couple forwards, and maybe a pick and a prospect for someone like Ryan, Iginla, Bouwmeester, Marleau and Clowe, Kane, Lucic, Edler, Clutterbuck and Heatley or Setoguchi or Cullen, Weber?, you get my point)

Here's what I posted earlier today. These are the forwards available to trade without doing some sort of 3-way:

(There is no particular order to the players other than position)

LW___________________ C__________________RW

Tlusty/Jokinen.................."New Guy"..............................Dwyer

Stewart..................................Brent...................................LaRose

"Enforcer".............................Welsh....................................Nodl

Bowman...............................Rask..................................Wallace

Sutter....................................Dalpe..................................Samson

Boychuk................................Nash

The most prolific scorer you mention and my preference is Marleau, excluding Ryan because we will never get him. E. Kane and Lucic would be great catches but will never be available.

Edited by Bill_B

This is my prediction:

'Canes sign Semin to either 1 yr or 2 yr deal,

Punch, I hope your forecasting skills are right!!!! If we get him, this is going to be a GREAT season!!!!

Semin, Jordan, Skinner, Eric ... that's real fire power... "its been a long time coming."

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Tripp Tracy‏@TrippTracy - Starting 2 warm up 2 idea of Semin on 1 year deal if Canes can pull it off. Have heard some players say that he was a much better teammate

Tripp Tracy‏@TrippTracy - If Alexander Semin's intentions are to prove he's the best Russian born player in the SouthEast Division, he won't get a better opportunity to prove it playing on Eric Staal's wing and on the first Powerplay Unit with 6 chances 2 face Ovechkin and the Caps Head to Head.

Check out these wristers.. :notworthy:

Tripp Tracy‏@TrippTracy - Starting 2 warm up 2 idea of Semin on 1 year deal if Canes can pull it off. Have heard some players say that he was a much better teammate

Tripp Tracy‏@TrippTracy - If Alexander Semin's intentions are to prove he's the best Russian born player in the SouthEast Division, he won't get a better opportunity to prove it playing on Eric Staal's wing and on the first Powerplay Unit with 6 chances 2 face Ovechkin and the Caps Head to Head.

Wrist shots?...that's lazy man hockey. Typical Semin. And not once in that three minutes of clip did Semin ever skate back on defense. He is just pathetic and lacking in effort...

lol

Edited by Red_Storm

Thanks for clips J-man-87 -- awesome -- from Russia with Love!

If Semin signs here, it’s time for Caniac Nation to go the extra yard and make him feel welcomed. That kind of stuff really seems to matter to him.

Honestly, nobody on our current roster has those kind of raw skills (someday Skinner, but not yet).

Semin will be the best Cane in 2012, assuming we get him.

And BTW, let’s be sure to say Happy B-day to our man Semin when March 3rd rolls around! Word is he's really into birthdays.

Below is reportedly a link to his Twitter. Warning, he's not a "100% in-the-lines kind a guy” like a B-Sutz, but keep an open mind and I think you'll agree – a nice breath of honest fresh air.

It's becoming clear, Semin is our missing piece!!! The fact Tripp (mouth piece for the company line) is sending that message is a GREAT sign.

Time to knock on wood :->

http://twitter.com/alexsemin/

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I was just reading an article about ranking teams on "toughness". As expected we didn't do very well. But that got me thinking about all the toughness Boston has. What about going after high-risk Horton as a top 6 wing, maybe in addition to Semin, and tough defenseman McQuaid? Of course another tough top 6 forward, in addition to Semin, is SJS's Ryane Clowe. Skilled toughness either way.

So, I'm starting to warm to the Semin to Canes camp, but for some reason I think it is going to take more than a one year deal to pull him away from the big market teams. At least the only risk would be money, & no loss of assets.

Canes need to make a bold move if they want him. Say 2 or 3 years, but I'm not sure on the money. I do like Remkin's idea of a signing bonus the 1st year...he gets say 5M base with 3M signing bonus for a total of 8M the first year, & then a base of 5M in year 2 & 3. That way he might be trade-able after year one.

I still like Ryan a ton more than Semin, but the Canes don't have the assets to trade.

A lot of teams have taken swings at big players and missed. Pens, Flyers, Red Wings all come to mind...So JR has taken several swings and missed on everyone not named J. Staal.

It might be time to take a shot at another risk / reward Russian.

So, I'm starting to warm to the Semin to Canes camp, but for some reason I think it is going to take more than a one year deal to pull him away from the big market teams. At least the only risk would be money, & no loss of assets.

Canes need to make a bold move if they want him. Say 2 or 3 years, but I'm not sure on the money. I do like Remkin's idea of a signing bonus the 1st year...he gets say 5M base with 3M signing bonus for a total of 8M the first year, & then a base of 5M in year 2 & 3. That way he might be trade-able after year one.

I still like Ryan a ton more than Semin, but the Canes don't have the assets to trade.

A lot of teams have taken swings at big players and missed. Pens, Flyers, Red Wings all come to mind...So JR has taken several swings and missed on everyone not named J. Staal.

It might be time to take a shot at another risk / reward Russian.

Afraid you may be right about a bold move to get Semin this week before Pittsburgh does. JR needs a little Philly GM in him. Sign Semin and then trade Tlusty (or Jokinen) and Pitkanen to Boston for Horton and McQuaid ... just thinking.

Edited by Bill_B

BB, you ever have anything positive to say my man!

You don't think it will take something bold to get Semin here? I just think it will, either in dollars or years.

You don't think it will take something bold to get Semin here? I just think it will, either in dollars or years.

Bold like paying him more than E. Staal, or Wardo?

Bold like paying him more than E. Staal, or Wardo?

Bold. we offered Shane Doan who is 35 a 4 year $7.5 million contract. thats a very steep offer for doan. offer that to Semin, and its a no brainer he's a cane next year. but honestly i don't think we need him i think we have a playoff caliber team as it stands now.

Bold. we offered Shane Doan who is 35 a 4 year $7.5 million contract. thats a very steep offer for doan.

Umm...nope. Unless you know something we don't.

A 4 year contract at 7.5 mil to a 35 year old is downright stupidity.

I was just reading an article about ranking teams on "toughness". As expected we didn't do very well. But that got me thinking about all the toughness Boston has. What about going after high-risk Horton as a top 6 wing, maybe in addition to Semin, and tough defenseman McQuaid? Of course another tough top 6 forward, in addition to Semin, is SJS's Ryane Clowe. Skilled toughness either way.

As I think you were hinting toward it, counting on Horton for toughness after all the concussion is kind of a no go for me. For the others that's different though.

we offered Shane Doan who is 35 a 4 year $7.5 million contract. thats a very steep offer for doan.

No, we didn't.

Umm...nope. Unless you know something we don't.

A 4 year contract at 7.5 mil to a 35 year old is downright stupidity.

To be fair to patreilly, I believe there was a rumor that it was the Canes that made a wacky offer in that range to Doan, but JR pretty much dismissed that in his FanFest briefing. And thankfully so.

So it seems most of us want Semin here bad! However there is a reason he's not here yet. How much are you willing to pay him? I have a feeling all the people on here that want Semin bad would be the same ones complaining if JR gives him what he wants which is probably 7mil plus for one year. Are you willing to pay that for him? what about 2yr 6mil a year?

So it seems most of us want Semin here bad! However there is a reason he's not here yet. How much are you willing to pay him? I have a feeling all the people on here that want Semin bad would be the same ones complaining if JR gives him what he wants which is probably 7mil plus for one year. Are you willing to pay that for him? what about 2yr 6mil a year?

I think many of us want Semin because we recognize he may be a realistic option to obtain a first line winger. That was a stated goal going into the off-season. Signing Semin is not without risk. Most teams seem reluctant to take a chance on him because of his reputation. IMO his offensive skill is worth the risk. I would give him the 1yr 7mil if he would take it. heck I might even give him a 6.8 mil contract per for 2 or 3 years.

Of course it is easy for me to throw PK's money around but the way things are going what are the chances we get a top 6 winger for less than that and what are the chances we get a top 6 winger without trading away our future. I would roll the dice and take a chance. What I don't know is how much money we have to throw around. We always have cap space and our restrictions are self imposed budget concerns. We also will need to sign Skinner after next season.

My preference would be to somehow pry Evander Kane away from the Peg but I don't see that happening so yes take a chance on Semin.

It's not my money. I am fine with paying Semin. It's not like he's Poni or Stewart etc. The man is an elite talent. I don't want to lose more prospects, draft picks, or players, I want more offense. BTW what's at least two playoff games worth financially?

PK has some spending to do to make up for my supporting this team through years of El Cheapo and no playoffs. Overpaying for one year? I could care less.

But Semin wants years supposedly. The risk there is that it doesn't work out and we need to trade him but he has an outsized contract.

Solution: bonus, then smaller contract. Semin would have to really just bottom out not to be worth $5 million/year. So a bonus with a smaller contract and we can at least trade him for a can of shaving cream and a stock tip. Plus we would GET him. He wants years, we want to be able to trade him.....what am I missing?

Imagine the dang upside. This is a potential 40 goal guy on Staal's wing. If he is rejuvenated by the change of pace, we could seriously have the top scoring team in the league. Lord knows we aren't going to have the top defense.

Edited by remkin