The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Per Eklund, for what it is worth:

ON Semin...

I am hearing more regarding Alex Semin every day and tonight the latest has this as a two-way battle between NJ and Pitt. One source I really trust believes NJ is the leading candidate now...I also must add I keep hearing not to rule out the Capitals in this. They have kept constant lines of communication with Semin's group the entire time here...

Where is JR????

I agree, I am willing to support JR paying him up to 7mil a year. The best thing that happens is: E Staal 40g 50A, Semin 40G 50A. The worst that happens is the Staal brothers and everyone else hates Semin cause he dosent pass the puck and has an Ego in locker room(specualtion I really have no idea). I would think Semin knows his reputation and would like to change it and play well with others. Lets get him, if its a bust at least we'll have a definite 20 goal scorer, he couldn't do worse than that.

Add Semin to go with J Staal and watch the tickets sales spike like a feather in an updraft. The show this team would put on and start winning watch them go even higher. Make the playoffs, watch...well you get the point JR.

BTW I thought we ont his board had already made this decision a while ago and TSA was going to instruct JR accordingly. What's the hold up?

Per Eklund, for what it is worth:

ON Semin...

I am hearing more regarding Alex Semin every day and tonight the latest has this as a two-way battle between NJ and Pitt. One source I really trust believes NJ is the leading candidate now...I also must add I keep hearing not to rule out the Capitals in this. They have kept constant lines of communication with Semin's group the entire time here...

Where is JR????

It's Eklund...he wouldn't know if JR was talking to Eklund (E5)...trust me if JR wants him he is in on it. How many times has a team that EK not mention landed a player?

Take anything from flyerbuzz...um I mean hockeybuzz with a HUGE grain of salt.

TSN (Darren & Bob)...the fourth period....even hockey spectator...are a lot more reliable hockey rumor sources.

Well guys to be totally honest with you. Jordan Staal alone has me pretty darn excited about this season. I am so glad that we now have 2 very strong centers for our top 2 lines. It's going to work wonders for us. I also hope Welsh shows that he has what it takes to be the 3rd line center. I'm not against having our 3rd line center position be open for our propects to compete for. Dalpe, Welsh, Nash, Rask, Terry...

Well guys to be totally honest with you. Jordan Staal alone has me pretty darn excited about this season. I am so glad that we now have 2 very strong centers for our top 2 lines. It's going to work wonders for us. I also hope Welsh shows that he has what it takes to be the 3rd line center. I'm not against having our 3rd line center position be open for our propects to compete for. Dalpe, Welsh, Nash, Rask, Terry...

Is Welsh signed? If not, wonder why?

Think Welsh is the last one to go.

Edited by Bill_B

I found this in a June 30 N&O article by Chip Alexander

Welsh hopes to complete his degree work in economics this summer, saying he has three papers to write. He’ll also spend part of the summer in Calgary, Alberta, working on his strength and conditioning. Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/30/2170186/canes-jeremy-welsh-may-get-his.html#storylink=cpy

My guess is he has been concentrating on his school work. He is an RFA so even if another team made a qualifying offer I couldn't imagine that it would be an offer we couldn't match. My guess is he will sign before mid-August if not sooner. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

More than likely it has to do with the details...number of years, or signing bonus, or guaranteed money. Can't image a player with one NHL game would be holding out for a one way deal.

I can see it getting done soon, & it will probably be a two way deal for 2 or 3 years with the NHL / AHL money both sliding up in year 2 or 3. Kid made a lot for one game last year...I hope this gamble pays off for the Canes.

read the article where it says the canes offered doan a 4 year $30 million contract.

"The article"? From whom? Eklund? I'm not even going to dispute that a team offered that contract to Doan. But it wasn't Carolina. Listen to JR's own words from the State of the Canes address.

Russian reports are saying Hurricanes signed Semin to a one year deal.. but Russian reports are... iffy.

Matias Strozyk ‏@MaStrozyk - SovSport report that #Canes will announce the signing of Semin within the next hour. Believed to be a 1y deal with higher $ than last year.

Joe Yerdon‏@JoeYerdonPHT - Not sure if I'd believe the report on Semin. One year deal? Not what he's been after. Unless he's grown tired of waiting then who knows.

Dmitry Chesnokov‏@dchesnokov - My source who is close to Semin on Semin signing w/ @NHLCanes: "It's true." So, Alexander Semin is set to play in Carolina next year.

hm.. this guy is a bit more legit..

Joe Yerdon‏@JoeYerdonPHT - As always, when it comes to news on Russian players, never doubt @dchesnokov

Semin is coming to Carolina - 1 year, $7 mil deal!!

Edited by jeromeo87

"The article"? From whom? Eklund? I'm not even going to dispute that a team offered that contract to Doan. But it wasn't Carolina. Listen to JR's own words from the State of the Canes address.

Russian reports are saying Hurricanes signed Semin to a one year deal.. but Russian reports are... iffy.

Matias Strozyk ‏@MaStrozyk - SovSport report that #Canes will announce the signing of Semin within the next hour. Believed to be a 1y deal with higher $ than last year.

Joe Yerdon‏@JoeYerdonPHT - Not sure if I'd believe the report on Semin. One year deal? Not what he's been after. Unless he's grown tired of waiting then who knows.

Dmitry Chesnokov‏@dchesnokov - My source who is close to Semin on Semin signing w/ @NHLCanes: "It's true." So, Alexander Semin is set to play in Carolina next year.

hm.. this guy is a bit more legit..

Joe Yerdon‏@JoeYerdonPHT - As always, when it comes to news on Russian players, never doubt @dchesnokov

Looks like Semin is a Hurricane

I'm excited. I hope you're right dude!

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Semin signs 1 year deal with Carolina.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip

Canes have signed Semin. One year at $7 million, Rutherford says.

Edited by Gejustin

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Semin signs 1 year deal with Carolina.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip

Canes have signed Semin. One year at $7 million, Rutherford says.

This is wonderful crazy!!!!!!!!

This is wonderful crazy!!!!!!!!

I guess I should clarify that I didn't mean crazy in a negative sense. Crazy in the sense that JR is doing some work.

ok, we got j.staal, and semin, one more dman would be good.. good summer for JR AND CANES FANS..

I guess I should clarify that I didn't mean crazy in a negative sense. Crazy in the sense that JR is doing some work.

HAH!!!! In the excitement I didn't see your original post.

Not only does this give us that top tier winger, but we just helped fix our shootout problem in a big way. Semin + Jokinen = lots of shootout wins.

Not only does this give us that top tier winger, but we just helped fix our shootout problem in a big way. Semin + Jokinen = lots of shootout wins.

This move is fantastic because JR was able to procure top line talent without giving up any assets. If the team is in the hunt come January/February I'd almost expect a trade or two to help ensure a deep playoff run.