The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

I wouldn't say its ignored, I just think if your JR you throw your hat into all top possibilities when they come available. The Canes need a top defensman but they also need a proven center.

Edited by TSA

You never know, we might see him again too ;)

Whitney (and Recchi for that matter) are the exception and not the norm. I wouldn't be willing to take my chances on an older player when I have a good chance of making a huge and much needed splash with a top player just hitting his prime similar to Staal and Ward.

Would you take your chances and your cap money and give it to Whitney to come back for a year or two this summer?

I was talking about getting Franzen, not Whitney, but why give up on a 32 year old? Unless an injury causes a problem a lot of player are now going past the "norm". I would try a 32 year old producing 50+ points per year, good for # 2 on this years roster, plus 7 straight years playoff experience, looks like a bargin to me. If he only play to 38, that's 6 more good years.

And a question: just how do you go about trading for J. Staal and what do you give up? Anyone think Pittsburgh is going to just give him up for Hardees coupons? He's not a UFA until the 2013-14 season. All this J. Staal talk might be a little premature?

The conversation started with this guy. , I just thought it was an interesting opportunity to fill an immediate need..

If a package can be put together that would put the Canes in the running for a player like Nash, I feel pretty certain that a similar package could be put together for a player like JStaal. Personally, I think Pittsburgh would be foolish to let him go and will do what they can to keep him there unless the beat writer does have some insider info and knows that JStaal is ready for a change. But it would make some sense since we all know Crosby and Malkin aren't going anywhere anytime soon and similar to Brandon Sutter, (but for different reasons) JStaal is stuck playing 3rd line center.

Fine, then define "available" and what it would take to get him into the lineup. Likely more assets (i.e. roster players, prospects, picks) than we can afford to give up right now, given our most pressing needs, as I see them. :)

Fair enough, I just happen to think a top center is also a pressing need and will actually solve several issues. Doesn't mean I'm ignoring the issues on defense or I think there's no need to go after a Suter or whoever the best D player available is, just means I think JR needs to jump on whatever needs he has when they come available because it won't take them long to become unavailable.

All I'm saying is IF we have an opportunity to fill the two positions I mentioned through FA, then you spend the dollars (that JR said we have)there first without giving up any assets.

I'd take Parise (UFA) and/or Suter (UFA) all day long over Jordan Staal right now.

All I'm saying is IF we have an opportunity to fill the two positions I mentioned through FA, then you spend the dollars (that JR said we have)there first without giving up any assets.

I'd take Parise (UFA) and/or Suter (UFA) all day long over Jordan Staal right now.

That makes perfect sense and I agree. All I'm saying is if JStaal comes available and we have the assets to go after him, that would fill another huge need. Personally, I think JR has the cap space and the assets to make both happen. Question is, would he?

I agree with the idea that this is the year for JR to make the big splash. Get in the game so to speak. Make a statement. Especially now that we are not picking a super elite NHL ready draft pick.

J. Staal is an interesting wrinkle. I agree with Coastal that the order of need is: 1. Point producing first line winger 2. Defensive Shut down guy 3. Second line center. And that puts J Staal as the third priority. Also, J.Staal would end up being THE move. There is no way that JR gets JStaal and a first line winger and an Allen upgrade. Just can't happen.

In the end the problem with going for J Staal is the asking price is likely to be sky high. J Staal is a very good player. A number 2 overall pick stuck on the third line is a problem. But J Staal at least at present is not in the elite level of production of a Nash or Parise, and he does not provide us with a real first line threat. And Sutter will be "stuck" on the third line, but he is SO good there, that I don't really care about that.

That first line winger just unlocks the whole puzzle. Two lines that can dazzle and a third that can check and score. That's the recipe on the offensive side for deep playoff runs.

So, sure, if JStaal is handed to us the way we gave away Corvo, then fine. Otherwise, find that top line guy.

I was talking about getting Franzen, not Whitney, but why give up on a 32 year old? Unless an injury causes a problem a lot of player are now going past the "norm". I would try a 32 year old producing 50+ points per year, good for # 2 on this years roster, plus 7 straight years playoff experience, looks like a bargin to me. If he only play to 38, that's 6 more good years.

You brought up Whitney, I just used your example to show that given the choice between an older proven veteran player on the latter half of his playing days vs getting a young top proven player just coming into his prime... I'd take the younger guy any day. If I know I can make my team better for years to come knowing my stars are just coming into their primes along with some younger stars right behind them, why would I opt to just secure only the next couple of years?

That makes perfect sense and I agree. All I'm saying is if JStaal comes available and we have the assets to go after him, that would fill another huge need. Personally, I think JR has the cap space and the assets to make both happen. Question is, would he?

I know what you are saying, and who wouldn't want J. Staal on their team. ;)

JR has made some bold statements publicly on what he plans on addressing during the off-season and how he plans on making it happen. I think the guy has lost his marbles and has potentially painted himself in the corner of extreme criticism if he doesn't come through.

Anyone else wonder if he knows more about "a" top-line winger signing here than he has led us to believe?

I know what you are saying, and who wouldn't want J. Staal on their team. ;)

JR has made some bold statements publicly on what he plans on addressing during the off-season and how he plans on making it happen. I think the guy has lost his marbles and has potentially painted himself in the corner of extreme criticism if he doesn't come through.

Anyone else wonder if he knows more about "a" top-line winger signing here than he has led us to believe?

He sure has made some pretty bold statements and doesn't usually just throw stuff out there without a plan but this one is hard to call. Its not like he's sticking to the same old GM plan and he's thinking a bit out of his own box so anything is possible I guess.

If he doesn't get a top flight FA, this board and others like it might self destruct. :)

If he doesn't get a top flight FA, this board and others like it might self destruct. :)

No top line winger? Connie_threaten.gif.

Edited by remkin

Like I said, IMO, our most immediate needs are a proven, scoring, top-line winger to play with Staal. Preferably a right-handed shot and a guy who can also shore up an improving PP. The other most immediate pressing need is a major upgrade for our defense. I've said it just about every offseason so why not again, it doesn't matter how many goals you score if your own net is full of pucks. It's surprising to me how many just ignore that, particularly JR.

If I thought we could accomplish both these things going into next season, then yes, I'd pass on giving up any assest for J. Staal right now.

Coastal, those two needs you have pointed out as our most immediate problems have been hanging around for several years now. Every summer, I think that JR is going to address at least one of these, and, well, not so much. Players like Cullen, Cole, Whitney, Seidenberg, etc. have all moved on and we have gotten pretty much nothing to replace them and also have not filled those 2 key needs, top winger and defensive stud.

Here I am again hoping.

I think it would help tremendously for this team to make a big-ish move prior to july 1st to further the chances of getting a parise or whoever. If we did sign a winger, our top 6 would include only 1 true center, and 3 guys who could play center but probably shouldn't. You look at the last canes playoff team, Staal/Cullen/Brindy were all true centers, and that basic structure is something i feel this team heavily lacks. If this team just settles with a winger this offseason, i feel carolina would just be in the same boat as the 10/11 team. Not finding a decent replacement for cole is going to have to force the team to play catch-up.

I think it would help tremendously for this team to make a big-ish move prior to july 1st to further the chances of getting a parise or whoever. If we did sign a winger, our top 6 would include only 1 true center, and 3 guys who could play center but probably shouldn't. You look at the last canes playoff team, Staal/Cullen/Brindy were all true centers, and that basic structure is something i feel this team heavily lacks. If this team just settles with a winger this offseason, i feel carolina would just be in the same boat as the 10/11 team. Not finding a decent replacement for cole is going to have to force the team to play catch-up.

Although I do agree with your general assessment I find myself disagreeing that we have only one true center. Sutter has shown he is a pretty darn good center. Although many of us including me have wondered if he might be able to fill the role as a scoring top 6 winger I think he has become a true center. Brent isn't that bad either in his role. IMO the problem is the second line center. If you fix that we become fairly strong down the middle.

Although I do agree with your general assessment I find myself disagreeing that we have only one true center. Sutter has shown he is a pretty darn good center. Although many of us including me have wondered if he might be able to fill the role as a scoring top 6 winger I think he has become a true center. Brent isn't that bad either in his role. IMO the problem is the second line center. If you fix that we become fairly strong down the middle.

Did I mention that JStaal may become available according to a Pens beat writer? :grin:

Did I mention that JStaal may become available according to a Pens beat writer? :grin:

Who? :dizzy:

Ok...Ok! J. Staal would indeed cure some of what ails us. I just can't imagine the Pens letting him go unless he really wants out as some have suggested. I would still try to land or acquire a prime time winger .

How about our 1st, Larose, and Harrison for Staal? That way they'd get a high pick, a solid 3rd liner for who'd fit there style well, and a big talented defenseman. For a young 2way 2nd line capable center making 4mil, we should definitely pursue. Plus i think he's the only non-hateable person on that team

If Staal was a UFA and that was a deadline deal that might get him but an RFA who hasnt hit full potential? That's not going to land him.

Little late to the J. Staal talk, but I've been saying this all season: move Eric to the wing and get a top line center. Jordan would fit that role perfectly, and would allow them to develop that Sedin-esque brother connection on the ice. Of course, that doesn't fix our 2nd line center issues, but it's just another possible option.

If we were to by some chance snag Whitney back, I'd love to see him skating alongside Skinner and Ruutu (both of who seem to love to hog the puck shoot alot, which Ray would counter balance since he loves to pass.) It'd give Skinner that mentor he's obviously missed since Cole left, but that still wouldn't fix our 2nd line center issue. Hmm. Of course, I doubt we'll even really attempt to go after Whitney, unless Phoenix gets moved to some place he absolutely doesn't want to move to and he makes it clear to JR that he wants to return.

...I've been saying this all season: move Eric to the wing and get a top line center...

We do have a top line center. His name is Eric Staal, he wears #12. You might've heard of him?

We do have a top line center. His name is Eric Staal, he wears #12. You might've heard of him?

Right, except he's only a true top line center for half the season thanks to his slow starts, nevermind the fact that Jordan is by far a better center then him.

Right, except he's only a true top line center for half the season thanks to his slow starts, nevermind the fact that Jordan is by far a better center then him.

Wow. Are you a Winnipeg Jets fan?

While they are both centers they each have different roles. While I would agree with the slow start, I do not agree that he's only a top center for half a season. With Muller at the helm next season I'm expecting a big start from everyone.