The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

and he got..... rofl

Yeah...the best player he got was Dubinsky....and Chad LaRose scored almost twice as many goals as Dubinsky last year!! Howson the Clown.

Well, the rumors are JR and company were trying to work a deal out for Rick Nash centered around picks, meaning multiple 1st rounders. By signing Semin, we keep our first, we keep our prospects. Hard to dislike that.

How about:

Jaroslav Spacek: stay at home, solid defenseman.

Tom Kostopoulos: the gritty 4th liner. He'll stand up for anyone and not afraid to mix it up.

Tomas Holmstrom: not the scoring force he use to be, but a major pest standing in front of a goalie on the PP.

All of these are still UFAs.

Tommy K coming back wouldn't be bad...except he has to watch his hits (got a 3-game vacation two seasons ago in Calgary).

Holmstrom? I'd love to have him, but he's been with Detroit for his career...if they don't re-up him, I think he calls it a day.

JR says we are set defensively....see the end of the article. So unless a crazy good offer comes around, we are gonnal rely on Dave Allen to coach these guys up.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/where-does-semin-best-fit-good-question

I think we actually have a good mix of vets and young players and we will rely a lot on positioning and skill rather than smash yo' face in but that's okay. It's not like we had a top six that put fear in the hearts of every team back during the cup run.

Pre-season should be fascinating to see...if Staal Staal Semin works you get Finns and Skins on the 2d line and maybe Tlustly with Welsh and LaRose on the 3rd. The cool thing is with the number of versatile players we have there are endless combos that Muller can work with during the season, which is great because he likes to change things up even during games. We could really give teams fits defensively if we adapt to moving things around during games.

It's gonna be a fun year!

Our defense is set if we were going for a backend that can put up quite a few points, but based upon the fact that we've had the highest shots against the past two seasons, JR being comfortable with our defense is bothersome.

This is my prediction:

'Canes sign Semin to either 1 yr or 2 yr deal, then sign Rozsival to a 2 year deal. Rozsival provides sound defense with a stay-at-home mentality. Also brings veteran presence. Semin provides 30+ goals and hopefully 65+ points and vastly improves our top-6.

Well, I got one thing right so far. Now on to Rozsival (I want him so bad). He made 5 million last year, but he's getting older so I don't think he expects a raise really. And yes, I believe even without signing Rozsival, we have enough depth at this point in regards to forwards (both roster players and prospects) and defensemen (again, both roster and prospects) to make another big trade whether it's now, October, or February. I feel like JR did a good job of setting us up to have a very similar season to the 05-06 season. New more aggressive style coach gets their first season (05/06=Lavi, 12/13=Muller). We get two upgrades in our top-6 (05/06=Stillman + Whitney, 12/13=Jordan + Semin). We have a young forward with huge upside ready for a breakout (05/06=Eric, 12/13=Skinner). And like I said, we have the means to make in-season trades to improve on the go (05/06=Weight, Recchi; 12/13 Iginla? hehehe Marleau? huhuhu [just suggestions :pray: )

Anyways this coming season is shaping up to be the first year in a while (I'm willing to say since 05/06) that we are really going for it. The only difference I see is JR was more vocal to the media about his goals this time around. JR has managed to vastly improve areas of the team that needed improvements (top-6/offense) while maintaining our core/character guys that have proven to produce deep playoff runs (LaRose, Jokinen, Eric, Gleason) and adding a player who brings that same mindset come post-season (Jordan) and a player who has the ability to produce in the post-season (Semin). In my opinion the team lacks a veteran presence, which is why I believe we will be watching Calgary (Iginla) and San Jose (Marleau, Clowe) closely. I see Iginla wanting to come to Carolina around the deadline when we are in the East's top 3. :D

East wont be as strong as last yr, without [chick fil la] thomas, boston will be weaker, florida wont have that magical run, nor caps, and philly on downside, i think we can take the division , we will be battling jets and tampa, but think we can claim that 3 spot.. yea, im bummed we dont have Allen back there, he was a great shot blocker,, but i think one of the young kids can step up, need the enforcer, maybe samson on 4th line? I think brent was a unsung hero last yr, he worked real hard. Stewert can fill that role, he could provide a big spark...Faulk will be a year older, and better..Im not sure what we do with piks.. i would keep him...

So, JR says the D is set, and nothing about bringing in a third line center.. sigh..

The past couple years i've been against this, but i think now is the perfect opportunity to test a prospect for the role. I don't think it would hurt us to have Rask/Welsch playing with jussi/tlusty and larose. That's how skinner got broke in. It's a low risk situation, and one of the prospects could surprise us. If it becomes an issue, we could always do a trade.

In June, I talked crap about JR being all talk and promised I wouldn't say anything negative about any moves for the whole season if he could pull off improving the top-6 with a big FA to play with Staal. :blush:

If everything falls in place, our D might be okay. I see it as a gamble, but the players we have aren't terrible either. Like our forwards, and as Rem said, the sum is greater than the parts.

Great times to be a Caniac.

Question: would you rather keep Tlusty in the top 6 and put Jokinen down as the third line center, or keep Jokinen in he top 6, drop Tlusty down to the third line and go with Welsh or Brent as the third line center?

I think Brent will be fine at 3rd line center, Jussi is an excellent offensive player but I don't see him being successful in a defense first role.

I can't speculate on Welsh theres nothing to go on.

I think Brent will be fine at 3rd line center, Jussi is an excellent offensive player but I don't see him being successful in a defense first role.

I can't speculate on Welsh theres nothing to go on.

Well, I'm curious as to if our third line is going to be put into a defense role, or if they'll be given some offensive opportunities as well, considering it's likely to be Tlusty and LaRose down there.

Well, I'm curious as to if our third line is going to be put into a defense role, or if they'll be given some offensive opportunities as well, considering it's likely to be Tlusty and LaRose down there.

Muller seems to like to use all four lines.I think the 3rd will be used a little differently and be a bit more offensive minded but their primary objective will still be defensive. I think Tlusty gets to stay with Staal. Staal and Tlusty seemed to play well together. Jussi and Staal just don't seem to click.

Question: would you rather keep Tlusty in the top 6 and put Jokinen down as the third line center, or keep Jokinen in he top 6, drop Tlusty down to the third line and go with Welsh or Brent as the third line center?

I would drop jussi to the third line, mainly so we could have an experienced solid two-way player playing with a prospect. I've said before, with a top line of E Staal and now Semin, Tlusty could play a role similar to sean bergenhiem did for Tampa when they made the ECF two seasons ago.

We have a great problem with too many top 6 players.

I just think Jussi is a guy who has put up 30 goals and makes plays. I hate to see him out of the top 6. He was our #2 points man last year. Frankly I'd drop Ruutu or Tlusty down before Jussi, and I love Ruutu.

I just think Jussi is a guy who has put up 30 goals and makes plays. I hate to see him out of the top 6. He was our #2 points man last year. Frankly I'd drop Ruutu or Tlusty down before Jussi, and I love Ruutu.

All good points. I actually want to see Ruutu on the 1st line. Making almost $5 mil a year, he needs to be scoring more points than just 32. He'll do that paired with Staal and Semin. Tlusty and LaRose make for really good third line wingers. Hopefully Brent or Welsh are ready to step up.

I just think Jussi is a guy who has put up 30 goals and makes plays. I hate to see him out of the top 6. He was our #2 points man last year.

Rem, the "official? depth chart on the site" shows...

Staal-Staal-Semin

Jussi-Ruutu-Skinner

Then I might suggest...

Tlusty-Welsh(or a surprise)-LaRose

Yielding ...

Staal-Staal-Semin

Jussi-Ruutu-Skinner

Tlusty-Welsh(or better)-LaRose

That looks awesome, no?

At the press conference today, JR only talked about adding a gritty forward; nothing about improving the D. ugh..

The beginning of the interview it sounded like he almost reference to be excited about the signing of someone who's name started with a "K" paused and went on about Semin. Later mentions adding a gritty forward to stick up for the "Skinners". I love reading too much into things , but I wonder if he almost slipped up and said K-stop? Prob. not, but you never really know.

I think the only reason you would see Jussi as the 3rd line wing is because Tlusty "only" seems to play well offensively is with Eric. And Jussi is such a good two-player and passer, he could turn the 3rd line into a scoring line that checls instead of a pure checking line!

IMO, I think Muller will not have Staal-Staal-Semin as the top line....so top heavy. Think by separating the Staals, there will more offensive balance and tougher for teams to defend. And if Jokinen can "juice" the 3rd line ... look out!

The beginning of the interview it sounded like he almost reference to be excited about the signing of someone who's name started with a "K" paused and went on about Semin. Later mentions adding a gritty forward to stick up for the "Skinners". I love reading too much into things , but I wonder if he almost slipped up and said K-stop? Prob. not, but you never really know.

Since we could trade some folks, do you think it was a "C", as in Clowe, or a "K" as in UFA Tommy K?

I think the only reason you would see Jussi as the 3rd line wing is because Tlusty "only" seems to play well offensively is with Eric. And Jussi is such a good two-player and passer, he could turn the 3rd line into a scoring line that checls instead of a pure checking line!

IMO, I think Muller will not have Staal-Staal-Semin as the top line....so top heavy. Think by separating the Staals, there will more offensive balance and tougher for teams to defend. And if Jokinen can "juice" the 3rd line ... look out!

Since we could trade some folks, do you think it was a "C", as in Clowe, or a "K" as in UFA Tommy K?

Speculating is fun as once stated, I just have a feeling we're not quite done this off season. I could see JR bringing in another forward and defensive vet, but if not I have confidence in the roster as is. It's easy for fans to expect more, more, more. ( myself included)

Tommy K. would be a nice addition.

Rem, the "official? depth chart on the site" shows...

Staal-Staal-Semin

Jussi-Ruutu-Skinner

Then I might suggest...

Tlusty-Welsh(or a surprise)-LaRose

Yielding ...

Staal-Staal-Semin

Jussi-Ruutu-Skinner

Tlusty-Welsh(or better)-LaRose

That looks awesome, no?

Again, we have so many options.

Personally I go with

Semin-Staal-Jussi

Skinner-Staal-Ruutu

Tlusty- x factor - LaRose

I really favor splitting the Staals since Eric played center so well the last part of the season, and the year he put up 100 points.