The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

I think the Ruutu as a center train derailed a long time ago.

I agree.

It would be cool to see the Staal brothers on the ice together, and I think we'll see that with out first PP unit. But even Eric said the team will have more depth if we put Eric on the first line and Jordan on the second.

Having Jordan as our 2nd line center also allows us to move Jokinen to the wing. The season he scored 30, he was mostly on the wing. Moving him to the center position caused him to lose production, imo. Jokinen's point potential is another reason why I say keep him in the top 6, which moves Tlusty down to the third line. Hopefully, Tlusty will still be able to produce, even if he isn't playing with Staal.

I still wish they would pick up a third line center. I just have no reason to trust that this Welsh guy will be ready.

Semin E.Staal Ruutu

Skinner J.Staal Jokinen

Tlusty Welsh LaRose

Nodl Brent Dwyer

I think a year from now we may have Rask as our third line center. Can't wait to see what this guy can bring at the NHL level.

Loved Tommy K PLAY HERE, GREAT PENALTY KILLER, i agree , spilt the staal boys up, jussi is good at getting at rebounds, rather see him on wing..

Right, JR has really "struck out" this off season LittleDavie.... coverears.giffacepalm.gifknary.gif

Nice way to go back 2 weeks and find something I posted before JR signed Semin.

You da man, Little Greggie :thumbsup:

Right, JR has really "struck out" this off season LittleDavie.... coverears.giffacepalm.gifknary.gif

Nice way to go back 2 weeks and find something I posted before JR signed Semin.

You da man, Little Greggie :thumbsup:

Rawr! Meowwww!

hahahaha

I agree.

It would be cool to see the Staal brothers on the ice together, and I think we'll see that with out first PP unit. But even Eric said the team will have more depth if we put Eric on the first line and Jordan on the second.

Having Jordan as our 2nd line center also allows us to move Jokinen to the wing. The season he scored 30, he was mostly on the wing. Moving him to the center position caused him to lose production, imo. Jokinen's point potential is another reason why I say keep him in the top 6, which moves Tlusty down to the third line. Hopefully, Tlusty will still be able to produce, even if he isn't playing with Staal.

I still wish they would pick up a third line center. I just have no reason to trust that this Welsh guy will be ready.

Semin E.Staal Ruutu

Skinner J.Staal Jokinen

Tlusty Welsh LaRose

Nodl Brent Dwyer

I think a year from now we may have Rask as our third line center. Can't wait to see what this guy can bring at the NHL level.

ruutu can be the 3rd line center. he's played center before and he plays great def. can do just about anything on the ice move tlusty to the 2nd line. take out dywer and put bowman there. move skinner to 1st line. that gives 2 good scoring lines and a strong checking line. Canes will be a strong team in the eastern conf. next year.

Edited by patreilly5763

Ruutu's 34 points last season isn't exactly playing great for a guy with his salary.

He needs to step it up this year.

I don't think playing center is going to help him achieve that. At least based upon the time he's been placed at center previously.

He's a winger, and should stay there and bang away.

I love Ruutu, but for the longest time, I thought he would choose to make a "bad" hit rather than to make a hockey play. Last year, he seemed to lose that tendency to make the "bad" hit but he that didn't help his scoring. For what he is paid, he really does need to be producing more.

Oh, and he's a winger, not a center (at least in my eyes).

Edited by super_dave_1

What makes this year so interesting is that we really have a log jam in terms of BOTTOM 6 forwards...if we add another forward as JR suggests, it will likely be someone who will be a healthy scratch except when we play Buffalo, Boston, Philly, etc. when a little extra sandpaper is gonna be needed...I don't know if Kostopoulis fits that role.

In terms of bottom 6 wingers, we have LaRose, Dwyer, Nodl, Stewart Tlusty or Jokinen, and potentially Bowman...if we add another, that's 7 forwards for 4 spaces...something has to give there, espeically if we are going to make room for Murphy, which we should because another year in Kitchener is not going to do much in terms of development.

I'm hoping Bowman can really show something and make the roster out of the gate...

Tlusty E. Staal Semin

Skinner J. Staal Ruutu

Jokinen Welsh Bowman/Larose

Dwyer Brent Bowman/Larose/Tough Guy when we need it

ruutu can be the 3rd line center. he's played center before and he plays great def. can do just about anything on the ice move tlusty to the 2nd line. take out dywer and put bowman there. move skinner to 1st line. that gives 2 good scoring lines and a strong checking line. Canes will be a strong team in the eastern conf. next year.

Ruutu's 34 points last season isn't exactly playing great for a guy with his salary.

He needs to step it up this year.

I don't think playing center is going to help him achieve that. At least based upon the time he's been placed at center previously.

He's a winger, and should stay there and bang away.

Plus, Ruutu's faceoff numbers are just horrible. With making close to $5 a year, I hope we see him on the first line, producing with Semin and Staal. Ruutu's a winger.

Ruutu and Jussi are both proven top 6 guys. Tlusty is not at least not to the same extent, and he is not being paid that way either. That's part of why I'd start Tlusty on the third line. Find the right center between Tlusty and LaRose and that line absolutely can score.

Ruutu and Jussi are both proven top 6 guys. Tlusty is not at least not to the same extent, and he is not being paid that way either. That's part of why I'd start Tlusty on the third line. Find the right center between Tlusty and LaRose and that line absolutely can score.

Tlusty and LaRose or Bowman could be a phenomenal 3rd line...Bowman says he's coming in stronger this year (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/bowman-has-new-contract-same-goal)if he shows he can win some battles in the corners, he'll see some time on the 3rd line...Tlusty can bang, cycle and make plays and Bowman has that nasty wrist shot...I think Brent could center that line for the start of the year and allow Welsh, Riley Nash or Rask to start on the 4th line, adjust and work their way up.

Tlusty and LaRose or Bowman could be a phenomenal 3rd line...Bowman says he's coming in stronger this year (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/bowman-has-new-contract-same-goal)if he shows he can win some battles in the corners, he'll see some time on the 3rd line...Tlusty can bang, cycle and make plays and Bowman has that nasty wrist shot...I think Brent could center that line for the start of the year and allow Welsh, Riley Nash or Rask to start on the 4th line, adjust and work their way up.

Bowman certainly adds an interesting wrinkle to potential lines. He's looked better than Dalpe and certainly Boychuk when called up. If it weren't for Tlusty, I'd say Bowman may be a sure thing for third line duties. I guess we'll see how things work out; my guess is he'll end up in Charlotte for most of the year to get as many minutes as possible.

Brent may be good to go for third line center duties.

Welsh is a complete question mark.

Riley Nash was very underwhelming last year in Charlotte. This will be a big year for him to see if he can step up.

Can't wait to see what will come of Rask. He looked really good last year..

We are really close to having two second lines, to go with the first legitimate 1st line in years, which is trouble for opposing defenses to match up against. Their 3rd pairing will be facing a legitimate scoring threat and that spells trouble.

Find a way to be able to play the 4th line against the opposing 1st line and you have our cup formula back where it was, allowing all top 3 scoring lines to face inferior talent. Now we go from facing trouble to facing a nightmare.

With all of the options for the bottom line we should surely be able to find a defensive nightmare 4th line, I would hope. (The return of Adams/Adams/Larose) This had a lot to do with our success, the match up difficulties we were able to produce.

Bowman certainly adds an interesting wrinkle to potential lines. He's looked better than Dalpe and certainly Boychuk when called up. If it weren't for Tlusty, I'd say Bowman may be a sure thing for third line duties. I guess we'll see how things work out; my guess is he'll end up in Charlotte for most of the year to get as many minutes as possible.

Brent may be good to go for third line center duties.

Welsh is a complete question mark.

Riley Nash was very underwhelming last year in Charlotte. This will be a big year for him to see if he can step up.

Can't wait to see what will come of Rask. He looked really good last year..

Bowman is the biggest X-Factor heading into the season, I think. If he shows he's ready to play with the Big Club, it's gonna be hard to send him down. If Bowman proves his worth can we package something like Nodl and Stewart for a gritty 4th liner to make some room, do we outright release a player, send Nodl or Stewart through waivers, I'm not sure...I'll tell you one thing, I love that the team is having these "problems".

Thanks for clips J-man-87 -- awesome -- from Russia with Love!

If Semin signs here, it’s time for Caniac Nation to go the extra yard and make him feel welcomed. That kind of stuff really seems to matter to him.

Honestly, nobody on our current roster has those kind of raw skills (someday Skinner, but not yet).

And BTW, let’s be sure to say Happy B-day to our man Semin when March 3rd rolls around! Word is he's really into birthdays.

It's becoming clear, Semin is our missing piece!!! The fact Tripp (mouth piece for the company line) is sending that message is a GREAT sign.

Time to knock on wood :->

Knocking on wood seems to have worked :> THANKS JR!!!

Enjoy this guys...

WORTH WATCHING: http://www.youtube.c...ayer_embedded#!

Now imagine him in OUR jersey with the Staals and Skinner!!!!

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

It looks like Welsh is our only potential roster player left to sign. I expect he will be signed by mid-August or sooner. I hope it is sooner. I don't think we can expect Welsh to fill Sutter's skates but he might be good enough to make the third line respectable. I think Brent could jump in but I really like him on the fourth line. I would feel more comfortable if we were shopping for a third line center instead of a tough 4th line wing.

It looks like Welsh is our only potential roster player left to sign. I expect he will be signed by mid-August or sooner. I hope it is sooner. I don't think we can expect Welsh to fill Sutter's skates but he might be good enough to make the third line respectable. I think Brent could jump in but I really like him on the fourth line. I would feel more comfortable if we were shopping for a third line center instead of a tough 4th line wing.

Time to sign Welsh to a two year / two way deal. Not sure what is the hold up for this one. I can't image a kid with one NHL game holding out for a one way deal...take the two way deal...it probably comes down to numbers...signing bonus...& guaranteed money being the biggest two numbers to haggle over.

I would like to see a true third line center like Moore, or Arnott signed instead of a tough guy who plays a hand full of games. This could be our biggest hole...the other could be a true defensive D-man. Welsh, Nash, Rask, or Brent could be our third line center...or could fail...slot in Moore or Arnot...move Brent back to 4th line center & we are good to go.

My Lines:

Semin E. Staal Jokinen

Skinner J. Staal Ruutu

Tlusty Moore Dywer

Wallace Brent LaRose

Extras: Stewart / Nodl

It is also time to resign Skinner to an extension...Who knows what the new CBA will bring, but why wait until next summer to do this...we don't want to be Nashville, & have some moron GM swoop in with a crazy offer sheet for him next summer. Lock him up now...even if it is only for three more years.

Time to sign Welsh to a two year / two way deal. Not sure what is the hold up for this one. I can't image a kid with one NHL game holding out for a one way deal...take the two way deal...it probably comes down to numbers...signing bonus...& guaranteed money being the biggest two numbers to haggle over.

I would like to see a true third line center like Moore, or Arnott signed instead of a tough guy who plays a hand full of games. This could be our biggest hole...the other could be a true defensive D-man. Welsh, Nash, Rask, or Brent could be our third line center...or could fail...slot in Moore or Arnot...move Brent back to 4th line center & we are good to go.

It is also time to resign Skinner to an extension...Who knows what the new CBA will bring, but why wait until next summer to do this...we don't want to be Nashville, & have some moron GM swoop in with a crazy offer sheet for him next summer. Lock him up now...even if it is only for three more years.

I going to take a couple a guesses. I posted earlier (I can't remember where or when) my guess is that with Welsh having gone back to school this summer to complete classes he probable won't sign until after the classes are done. He got a signing bonus last year so I can't imagine there will be a problem. My guess is the deal is already close to finished and just waiting for his signature. At least that is my hope.

If I were JR I would wait until the new CBA is signed and then begin negotiating with Skinner's agent. Just another guess. If we get to March and he isn't signed I'll begin to worry.

I going to take a couple a guesses. I posted earlier (I can't remember where or when) my guess is that with Welsh having gone back to school this summer to complete classes he probable won't sign until after the classes are done. He got a signing bonus last year so I can't imagine there will be a problem. My guess is the deal is already close to finished and just waiting for his signature. At least that is my hope.

If I were JR I would wait until the new CBA is signed and then begin negotiating with Skinner's agent. Just another guess. If we get to March and he isn't signed I'll begin to worry.

Maybe it was your post, but I remember reading Welsh was deep in summer school classes needed to finish his degree and the contract was going to be done after school in mid August.

I think Semin should be paired with on of the Staal's and Ruutu. Semin only had 21 hits I believe last year, so having him on a line with Ruutu will help that average t number up, and also have Rutuu grinding in the corners for the other 2

GO CANES !!!

Can't wait for this season

Edited by obxcaneadian

My Lines:

Semin E. Staal Jokinen

Skinner J. Staal Ruutu

Tlusty Moore Dywer

Wallace Brent LaRose

Extras: Stewart / Nodl

Moore and Arnott are very physical types that can give opponents "attitude adjustments" So if we got one of them as a 3rd line center, they could be a quasi-enforcer. Plus if Wallace makes the team, he will drop the gloves too.

Also, on your lines, I would flip-flop LaRose and Dwyer. This would make they 3rd line more of a scoring line and the 4th more of an energy/checking line. In fact Arnott is more of an offensive threat than Dominic Moore, so he could be a better 3rd line center choice for more of a "scoring" line.

Edited by Bill_B