The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Personally I'm sticking with the lines i said earlier:

Tlusty--E Staal--Semin

Tlusty showed great chemistry with Eric and i think earned the nod to start with. Also I heard Semin prefers the RW over LW

Skinner--J Staal--Ruutu

Skinner and Ruutu play well together and this keeps both Staals at their natural position and making 2 scoring threats.

Nodl/Dwyer--Jokinen--Larose

I prefer Jussi at center and if we dont get a shut down center I think he's our best starting option

Nodl/Dwyer--Brent--Stewart

I left Welsh out because im not sure of how his situation will work out. I also think Bowman will make a strong case for the third line LW.

Edited by wizard-13

Tlusty--E Staal--Semin

Tlusty showed great chemistry with Eric and i think earned the nod to start with. Also I heard Semin prefers the RW over LW

Skinner--J Staal--Ruutu

Skinner and Ruutu play well together and this keeps both Staals at their natural position and making 2 scoring threats.

I prefer Jussi at center and if we dont get a shut down center I think he's our best starting option

Nodl/Dwyer--Brent--Stewart

I left Welsh out because im not sure of how his situation will work out. I also think Bowman will make a strong case for the third line LW.

I don't agree at all with thinking Tlusty is a first liner yet. He scored 17 goals on an end of season hot streak. Larose puts up those numbers too. I'd love it if he was destined to be a 25plus scorer every year but i doubt Muller is considering him on first or second line with the firepower we have now. He still has some "proving himself to do" like putting up 25g in a full season and being consistent with scoring, not just a hot streak. Its nice to have these options and I hope your right that he is ready to be there cause that will just deepen our lines, but he aint gonna start the season there.

Tlusty--E Staal--Semin

Skinner--J Staal--Ruutu

Tlusty did show promise playing with Staal, but with 2 new top 6 guys coming in, I think Tlusty finds himself on the third line.

There's a reason why Jokinen's production has dropped from his 30 goal season, and I think that reason is his moving to center. I want to see if he can get back to that kind of production. I think he can by playing on wing with either Semin and E.Staal or Skinner and J.Staal.

I do, however, think we need to pick up a third line center. I would love Arnott, but I really have no idea how much $$$ he is looking for. Arnott and Semin were teammates for a little while...

Edited by jeromeo87

Maybe it was your post, but I remember reading Welsh was deep in summer school classes needed to finish his degree and the contract was going to be done after school in mid August.

There was a story out there about Welsh taking classes this summer. I don't think the one I read mentioned anything about the contract but it makes sense to me.

Moore and Arnott are very physical types that can give opponents "attitude adjustments" So if we got one of them as a 3rd line center, they could be a quasi-enforcer. Plus if Wallace makes the team, he will drop the gloves too.

Also, on your lines, I would flip-flop LaRose and Dwyer. This would make they 3rd line more of a scoring line and the 4th more of an energy/checking line. In fact Arnott is more of an offensive threat than Dominic Moore, so he could be a better 3rd line center choice for more of a "scoring" line.

Dominic Moore's wife has liver cancer. That will probably play a factor in his destination. Also, where are you getting your info that suggests he's a physical, attitude adjuster?

I would like to thank the organization for finally giving the fan base something to cheer about. I can not remember being this excited for the upcoming hockey season. I will have no problem shelling out the dough for center ice this year. Heck knows, I may head down to Carolina for my vacation to take in a few games.

There was a story out there about Welsh taking classes this summer. I don't think the one I read mentioned anything about the contract but it makes sense to me.

Great to hear he is finishing the degree. :thumbsup:

I know we'd love to see these guys do nothing but workout and think hockey, but this is a good life-move. He seems to be a real character guy, and might be set up to have a long career in the game even after his playing days are over.

A list of top 7 FA still available via puck daddy blog:

7 | Dominic Moore, C

Like a puppy at the SPCA, this journeyman centre is still looking for his forever home. Moore has played for 9 NHL teams in the last 8 years. Don't you want to be number 10? At this point, all it might take is a no-trade clause on a league minimum salary.

Moore may not have been deemed indispensable by an NHL franchise, but he continues to find work because he's a good skater, a good checker, and he can occasionally contributes to the scoresheet. He's the sort of player teams are always looking for come playoff time, so he'd fit well on a team that has designs on still playing when the postseason comes around. He'll come cheaper now than he will then.

6 | Carlo Colaiacovo, D

Colaiacovo appears to have become superfluous in St. Louis (which, by the way, is a great advice column signature -- signed, Superfluous in St. Louis). But that doesn't mean he can't help someone else, especially since he's certainly a top-six defenceman, and capable of eating up 20 minutes. There are plenty of teams that don't have six guys like that.

It's still possible he could re-sign with the Blues if they can't find the upgrade they're looking for, and considering they're hardly the only team after a top-four upgrade (the Flyers come to mind), they may be bringing him back. But it might not take all that much to pry him away, especially since he can't possibly be bound to a franchise that will only turn to him if something goes wrong elsewhere, i.e. the hockey equivalent of "The friend zone."

5 | Kristian Huselius, LW

Huselius probably isn't on anybody's radar after missing most of the last two seasons with injuries, but if he can get healthy, the flashy winger is a potential 20-goal scorer -- he averaged 26 goals over the four seasons prior -- and he could come cheap.

And really, isn't it possible that his bad luck is a symptom of playing in Columbus? That franchise is cursed. I bet the moment he gets out of Ohio, he rubs his eyes, remembers who he is, and immediately returns to form.

4 | Jason Arnott, C

Leadership: Jason Arnott haz it.

At 37 years old, the veteran centre could bring a wealth of experience and maturity to a locker-room, but it's not like he'd only be there for the pep talks. I've got to believe that someone out there could use a 6'5, 220-lb veteran centre that scored 17 goals last year with the St. Louis Blues.

For teams looking for a third-line centre, he'd be a steal.

3 | Tomas Holmstrom, LW

He may be 39, so he's not as quick as he used to be, but mobility has never been what kept Holmstrom employed. His best asset remains his ability to stand still. Unfortunately, he's a free agent in the technical sense only. He's unsigned, but his heart is forever in Detroit. From Sportsnet:

"It's playing in Detroit, or nowhere else," the unrestricted free agent told the Detroit News, putting rumours to rest.

Although uncertain if he'll be ready for the grind of a 16th NHL season, the 39-year-old Holmstrom is training, as usual, in preparation to play a full an NHL schedule.

In short, the Red Wings' only competition for Holmstrom's services is old age. That's good news, although considering the summer they're having, they still might lose out.

2 | Petr Sykora, RW

After a year in Europe, Sykora made the New Jersey Devils out of training camp and spent the year proving he still had his NHL scoring touch. He proved it 21 times in 2011-12. He's not exactly a formidable defensive player, but Sykora could be a good stopgap option in a team's top six.

With Zach Parise bolting from Jersey for Minnesota, the Devils are reportedly a little more interested in retaining Sykora than they initially seemed, but a multi-year deal might be enough to convince the winger to look elsewhere.

1 | Shane Doan, RW

You probably know full well that Shane Doan is still available, since his agent probably called you personally and told you. But, aggressive pitches, Doan seems pretty hellbent on re-signing in Phoenix, especially since he continues to wait on Greg Jamison, who is reportedly $20 million short of finalizing his purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes. From the Globe and Mail:

Doan has been seeking reassurance from Jamison that he can complete the purchase of the team before making a decision on his future. He spoke to Jamison on Saturday but Doan's agent, Terry Bross, did not respond to requests for comment.

[...] However, Jamison and the NHL may have bigger problems since he has been silent as speculation mounted he cannot raise the money to buy the team. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in response to the Phoenix Business Journal report nothing has changed in the sale situation.

Oh great, Jamison's gone into hiding. He may be heading south. If you're a Mexican border patrol guard, I'd caution you to be on the lookout for a suspiciously moustachioed Mr. G. Nosimaj.

Jamison should ask Doan's agent Terry Bross to help him out. If the reported bidding war for top remaining free agent Doan is to be believed, Bross can raise an obscene and undeserved sum of money in just a few days.

Moore and Arnott look like they would both fit what we are looking for in the third line role. I wouldn't mind giving Colaiacovo a shot but JR has said multiple times that he is done on the D side.

I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't mind letting that 3rd line center spot open up for a guy in the system.

I prefer that to signing 35 or 37 year olds to plug a hole for one year.

Let the boys compete and see who is left standing. If we build the 4th line that I think Muller wants, it could work out.

....then there's the Dalpe thing last year. But that was last year, right.... B)

7 | Dominic Moore, C

Like a puppy at the SPCA, this journeyman centre is still looking for his forever home. Moore has played for 9 NHL teams in the last 8 years. Don't you want to be number 10? At this point, all it might take is a no-trade clause on a league minimum salary.

Moore may not have been deemed indispensable by an NHL franchise, but he continues to find work because he's a good skater, a good checker, and he can occasionally contributes to the scoresheet. He's the sort of player teams are always looking for come playoff time, so he'd fit well on a team that has designs on still playing when the postseason comes around. He'll come cheaper now than he will then.

6 | Carlo Colaiacovo, D

Colaiacovo appears to have become superfluous in St. Louis (which, by the way, is a great advice column signature -- signed, Superfluous in St. Louis). But that doesn't mean he can't help someone else, especially since he's certainly a top-six defenceman, and capable of eating up 20 minutes. There are plenty of teams that don't have six guys like that.

It's still possible he could re-sign with the Blues if they can't find the upgrade they're looking for, and considering they're hardly the only team after a top-four upgrade (the Flyers come to mind), they may be bringing him back. But it might not take all that much to pry him away, especially since he can't possibly be bound to a franchise that will only turn to him if something goes wrong elsewhere, i.e. the hockey equivalent of "The friend zone."

Huselius probably isn't on anybody's radar after missing most of the last two seasons with injuries, but if he can get healthy, the flashy winger is a potential 20-goal scorer -- he averaged 26 goals over the four seasons prior -- and he could come cheap.

And really, isn't it possible that his bad luck is a symptom of playing in Columbus? That franchise is cursed. I bet the moment he gets out of Ohio, he rubs his eyes, remembers who he is, and immediately returns to form.

4 | Jason Arnott, C

At 37 years old, the veteran centre could bring a wealth of experience and maturity to a locker-room, but it's not like he'd only be there for the pep talks. I've got to believe that someone out there could use a 6'5, 220-lb veteran centre that scored 17 goals last year with the St. Louis Blues.

3 | Tomas Holmstrom, LW

He may be 39, so he's not as quick as he used to be, but mobility has never been what kept Holmstrom employed. His best asset remains his ability to stand still. Unfortunately, he's a free agent in the technical sense only. He's unsigned, but his heart is forever in Detroit. From Sportsnet:

"It's playing in Detroit, or nowhere else," the unrestricted free agent told the Detroit News, putting rumours to rest.

Although uncertain if he'll be ready for the grind of a 16th NHL season, the 39-year-old Holmstrom is training, as usual, in preparation to play a full an NHL schedule.

In short, the Red Wings' only competition for Holmstrom's services is old age. That's good news, although considering the summer they're having, they still might lose out.

2 | Petr Sykora, RW

After a year in Europe, Sykora made the New Jersey Devils out of training camp and spent the year proving he still had his NHL scoring touch. He proved it 21 times in 2011-12. He's not exactly a formidable defensive player, but Sykora could be a good stopgap option in a team's top six.

With Zach Parise bolting from Jersey for Minnesota, the Devils are reportedly a little more interested in retaining Sykora than they initially seemed, but a multi-year deal might be enough to convince the winger to look elsewhere.

1 | Shane Doan, RW

You probably know full well that Shane Doan is still available, since his agent probably called you personally and told you. But, aggressive pitches, Doan seems pretty hellbent on re-signing in Phoenix, especially since he continues to wait on Greg Jamison, who is reportedly $20 million short of finalizing his purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes. From the Globe and Mail:

Doan has been seeking reassurance from Jamison that he can complete the purchase of the team before making a decision on his future. He spoke to Jamison on Saturday but Doan's agent, Terry Bross, did not respond to requests for comment.

[...] However, Jamison and the NHL may have bigger problems since he has been silent as speculation mounted he cannot raise the money to buy the team. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in response to the Phoenix Business Journal report nothing has changed in the sale situation.

Oh great, Jamison's gone into hiding. He may be heading south. If you're a Mexican border patrol guard, I'd caution you to be on the lookout for a suspiciously moustachioed Mr. G. Nosimaj.

Jamison should ask Doan's agent Terry Bross to help him out. If the reported bidding war for top remaining free agent Doan is to be believed, Bross can raise an obscene and undeserved sum of money in just a few days.

Moore and Arnott look like they would both fit what we are looking for in the third line role. I wouldn't mind giving Colaiacovo a shot but JR has said multiple times that he is done on the D side.

7 | Dominic Moore, C

6 | Carlo Colaiacovo, D

4 | Jason Arnott, C

3 | Tomas Holmstrom, LW

2 | Petr Sykora, RW

1 | Shane Doan, RW

all the best to mrs.. moore and the moore family

Dominic Moore's wife has liver cancer. That will probably play a factor in his destination. Also, where are you getting your info that suggests he's a physical, attitude adjuster?

Maybe "attitude adjuster" is a little strong but he always banged us pretty good when he was with Tampa Bay. Not sure he's a drop the gloves all the time kinda-guy but he plays with an edge and is gritty in the corners. Believe it was around the start of FA time, one of the website's highlighted him as a character guy with grit, that teams want going into the playoffs. Believe he or Arnott would improve the Canes toughness immensely without necessarily going after an "enforcer" type ... sort of killing 2 birds with 1 stone by getting a 3rd line center and somebody gritty with skill. Just my opinion, in case we go for a 3rd line center .

I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't mind letting that 3rd line center spot open up for a guy in the system.

I prefer that to signing 35 or 37 year olds to plug a hole for one year.

Minority? Possibly. Alone? No, I'm in agreement. I will trust JR and Ron Francis on this one. And while he may not be Dominic Moore, Welsh is not a shrimp (6'3" 200+ lbs). One game did not give us an insight into his ruggedness, but I liked what I saw after his first few shifts and taking the early penalty.

BTW, I had a dream last night that Zach Boychuk showed up to camp in great shape and the proverbial light switch went on for him. Wouldn't that be an interesting turn of events if that dream came true?

Hockeyy Insiderr ‏@HockeyyInsiderr - Update: #Canes are NOT done. Negotiations with Colaiacovo still ongoing. Also interested in Arnott.

So we start talking about Colaiacovo here - and he starts talking about him. We start talking about Arnott here, and he starts talking about him.

Pretty sure this guy just goes on different boards to see what the fans are talking about.

Update:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/01/report-canucks-in-talks-with-jason-arnott/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Report: Canucks in talks with Jason Arnott

Edited by jeromeo87

Someone around these pats once upon a time with the help of others created a rumor to see if he would post it, he did.

Dont remember the full details other then the rofl that ensued.

What about Frolik as 3C? That'd be one deadly top 9.

Jussi - Staal12 - Semin

Skinner - Staal11 - Ruutu

Tlusty - Frolik - LaRose

Blanchard/Brent/Welsh/Dwyer/Stewart/Samson/Nodl

Edited by Blinding

....Pretty sure this guy just goes on different boards to see what the fans are talking about....

You're in a league by yourself my man. Not only do you get the scoop, but you call out the imposters!

I know others have said it, but I'll add my thanks for all the posts, information and details you track down. Most appreciated!!!

How about a little schedule talk?

As usual we start out in a brutal fashion. If we come out of October .500 we are golden. Anything better and look out NHL.

October is brutal. Starting out with a West Coast run from Hades.

Why not start out as the home opener for Winnipeg? Yes, they finished 11th, but their home record? 23-13-5.

Then Vancouver, Anheim, LA (back to back vs rested cup champs), San Jose, then fly back east to...Boston #2 team in the East.

Then home opener vs. the #1 team in the East. Then FINALLY a decent home game vs Columbus then back on the road to.... the cup runner ups: NJD.

That's 9 games where we will be favored in one.

On the flip side, we do get a bit of a better ending than last year. After mid February 65% of our remaining 26 games are at home.

Back to backs. Looks pretty darned good overall. I only think back to backs are a problem if the other team is rested. They are also considered bad if game 2 is at home vs. a rested team since it is like having a second road game.

We have only 13 back to backs that I count. Of those 9 are vs rested teams and 3 are vs. rested teams and home games. I haven't scanned the league, but that seams decent. (Last year we had 17 back to backs vs rested teams vs. this year's 9).

Ironically the last two games of the year are a back to back, home vs. rested MTL. I am really hoping that we are in the playoffs well before that game and don't have to really even count that one. If we do need it....well it's at home...

Overall if this team comes out strong and wins half of those first 9 games....well it's a really long season, but that would be a very good sign.

Edited by remkin

October and November are tough. It looks like the team will be living out of a suitcase much of the time. We don't have our first four game home stand until the end of November and the beginning of December. As the season goes on the schedule favors us more. We need a decent start.

x

How about a little schedule talk?

As usual we start out in a brutal fashion. If we come out of October .500 we are golden. Anything better and look out NHL.

October is brutal. Starting out with a West Coast run from Hades.

Why not start out as the home opener for Winnipeg? Yes, they finished 11th, but their home record? 23-13-5.

Then Vancouver, Anheim, LA (back to back vs rested cup champs), San Jose, then fly back east to...Boston #2 team in the East.

Then home opener vs. the #1 team in the East. Then FINALLY a decent home game vs Columbus then back on the road to.... the cup runner ups: NJD.

That's 9 games where we will be favored in one.

Of that 1st 9, 3 are MUST wins...Winnepeg, Columbus and NJ (who should be down a few pegs from last year). With the new line-up we should be able to steal at least one from the remainder of the games and then hopefully get another point from an OTL, etc. We most definitely need 9 points in this stretch. Looking at Nov. we've got Buffalo, Philly twice, Tampa twice, Florida, Dallas Phoenix, etc. for games 10-21. If we want to come to the quarter pole on pace for 90 points, we'll need about 13 in those 12 games...That's a tall order but if it can be done and considering how the rest of the schedule plays, we're close to a lock for the playoffs if the boys can stay healthy. Let's hope for about 26/28 pts by the end of Nov.

But the "ties" are fantastic! It will be a good way to start no matter what. :)