The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

We are certainly going to be tested early. There is the nice potential for an us vs the world mentality for early team building with that early schedule. I wonder if the team might want to get out the the coast early to get a bit acclamated to the time change.

Also, with key new additions and needding to play around with lines and figure out the bottom 4, we really need some preseason, so let's hope that gets figured out.

Question: what happens if actual games are lost? Do the remake the entire schedule? Do they just cancel the games that didn't happen? If the first 7 games never happen....well that favor us on paper.

I have visions of us actually going 5-4 or better over that killer stretch. LA cup hangover takes us lightly. NJD same thing. Winnepeg is all over amped for their opener and we surpise them. We take Columbus at home, and then sneak one more. Ironically, 5-4 would announce that we are for real and likely no one outside of Raleigh would notice....to their peril. :hide:

Do you guys think that our goals against will be affected since we have just acquired 2 star forwards that actually know how to play a two-way game?

Edited by bluedevil58

But the "ties" are fantastic! It will be a good way to start no matter what. :)

Ah ties. Remembering the good ole days when we sat in the RBC Center wearing ties due to the Canes tie streak.

I too would like to see one of the Checkers step it up and make the team and produce as our 3rd line Center and move Jussi back to his normal position either on 1st or 2nd line.

Did anyone see this article about Corvo's "pledge" Great concept and im all about charities. Maybe he should also pledge not to leave our team every 10 minutes and pledge himself to have a Career best year! Aside from that I hope we can get some othe help back there I saw on here that Colaiacovo might be an option. It seems like we have some expendable pieces and too many players on D and up front, after camp does anyone see another trade, Possibly for a 3rd line center or maybe a D man or a 4th liner with Grit? Who would make a good trade partner is we went that route?

Do you guys think that our goals against will be affected since we have just acquired 2 star forwards that actually know how to play a two-way game?

No...our D is still going to allow a lot of shots & still not be able to clear the crease which will result in just as many goals against. Plus we lost one good two way shut down forward in Sutter, & our best shot blocker and only true defensive dman in Allen.

But it should affect our goals for. I see us winning more 5-4 games.

Edit: Good Point by Remkin below...more offensive possession should affect both goals for & goals against. So I guess it could lower it, but I still worry about the 3rd line center spot, & our D.

Edited by rocheccw

My first thought was losing Sutter would really hurt here, and I think it will. However, I do think that a good chunk of shots against is related to lack of sustained offensive pressure. I think that was a good part of the issue last year. JStaal and Semin are both strong defensive forwards, but both are also good offensive possesion guys. A big strong positionally sound dman that blocks shots would help, but it is really hard for the other guy to get a good shot off from their own zone, so if we are keeping it down there it will help.

Edited by remkin

Cap fans are saying that Semin was the best twp-way forward on the team. Surely his two-way game has to lead to some other form of defense aside from the possession argument.

Cap fans are saying that Semin was the best twp-way forward on the team. Surely his two-way game has to lead to some other form of defense aside from the possession argument.

I do think it will. J Staal is also a two way player. That article and JR's extensive stats combined with Semin's plus minus relative to teamates all suggest that Semin is a two way player. The tricky thing for me is who are they replacing in that reguard. Sutter was one of the best checkers in the league in my opinion, and Tlusty was pretty good playing both ways also.

So while I really don't think we give up anything on the backcheck, the real sea change will be offensive possesion. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.:letssee:

I really can't see a guy whose biggest complaint from his former fans was his work ethic being a 2 way player but I guess I'll wait and see.

I really can't see a guy whose biggest complaint from his former fans was his work ethic being a 2 way player but I guess I'll wait and see.

I'm not kidding. Cap fans are telling me he is a very good 2 way player and responsible in his own end.

jmburre posted that interesting article on the Semin thread, but here was the pertainant quote:

Semin, thought of as a one-way offensive talent, would surely drag down the defensive play of his linemates, no?Quite the opposite, in fact. Almost all of his linemates have had better goals-against ratios while playing with him compared to playing without him (excluding Ovechkin in 2010-11). Only one of 14 linemates from the past three seasons performed significantly better defensively without Semin than with him. Some saw almost no difference with and without Semin on the wing, while others saw a significant improvement in their defensive play. He may lack grit, heart, intensity, and a “motor that doesn’t quit,” but Semin has been a very strong defensive forward in recent years. Read that out loud a few times, now.

That and being near the top of the team in plus minus for a few straight years, including last year and JR's own research suggests he his a two way player.

I think everything will be greatly improved. Just having such a positive aura around the team will change things and you know they are feeling the excitement too. I expect Ward to have a career year now that he has a good team to play for for the first time since the cup. Don't forget Faulk is coming back more experienced and confident and Mcbain is now a veteran who should be stepping it up. I do expect one big defensive sigining or trade by christmas though. There is no way with two of the best two way fowards added and our defense getting a little older and wiser that we will face near as many shots this year.

Oh yeah, and lets not forget our new coach who will have a whole preseason/camp and season to improve our weak points from last year.

Edited by danimal-ch1

I think everything will be greatly improved. Just having such a positive aura around the team will change things and you know they are feeling the excitement too. I expect Ward to have a career year now that he has a good team to play for for the first time since the cup. Don't forget Faulk is coming back more experienced and confident and Mcbain is now a veteran who should be stepping it up. I do expect one big defensive sigining or trade by christmas though. There is no way with two of the best two way fowards added and our defense getting a little older and wiser that we will face near as many shots this year.

Oh yeah, and lets not forget our new coach who will have a whole preseason/camp and season to improve our weak points from last year.

I'd like to see us with a 4th-liner who could lay out Brooks Orpik with ease! We'll need that type of guy as the season moves forward, esp if we're near the top of the standings.

OK, not that many are on these boards right now....are you? But.....

Not sure if people realize how monumentally huge our offensive potential is this year. If things come together there really are only a handful of teams that can match our firepower. I would argue: Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston, and probably the NYR.

Now I know that offense alone does not win championships, and due to that, I don't quite have us in the league of those teams, but on offense we very much are.

Last year there were, oddly, 100 fifty point forwards in the entire NHL. Seems like a lot until you realize that that means on average 3.3 of them per team.

If our guys stay mostly healthy odds are great that we will have 6. Last year no one team had 6. (There were some caveats).

Pittsburgh had 5 (though one of them was JStaal), however, Crosby was out and Malkin had more than 50 doubled.

Philly had 3 (but they had 2 with 49 and 1 at 47).

Boston had 5.

NYR had 4, but just added Nash. BTW the Rangers are now the Yankees adding Gaborik, Richards and now Nash.

Columbus had 2. One of them was Nash.

Based on pure math, 50 points was a fairly rough cut off for first line numbers: 90 first line spots in the league.

But no matter how you slice it, our entire second line WILL be 50 point guys if they stay mostly healthy. Thus, we will have almost two first lines. And with Tlusty/LaRose (my guess) on the third line, that line, if we can find a center can be one of the top 3rd lines.

Lastly, our defense may not shut down, but it will score. Murphy (my prediction), McBain, Pits, Faulk, yes even Harrison will put up points.

So we are going to light it the heck up.

OK, you don't need 6-7 50 point guys to win the cup. (LA had 3). Generally you need a solid defense to balance the offense. But all of the top teams in 50 point guys made the playoffs comfortably. And right now that sound pretty good.

And what fun burning out the goal light on the way.

Edited by remkin

Love your optimism Rem! I'm trying to keep my expectations in check because I've seen teams that look dominant on paper really stink it up during the season (cough Red Sox cough), and the injury factor can really wreak havoc on the best rosters too. But....on paper the offense does have some high potential.

Love your optimism Rem! I'm trying to keep my expectations in check because I've seen teams that look dominant on paper really stink it up during the season (cough Red Sox cough), and the injury factor can really wreak havoc on the best rosters too. But....on paper the offense does have some high potential.

Well it is technically on paper, but the paper does reflect what these guys have actually done on the ice. The only truly speculative guy is Tlusty, who did it for 27 games, but he was on a plus 50 point pace for those games. Ironically the biggest risk IMHO is Ruutu. I am a major Ruutu fan, but he is the only guy in our top 6 that has any real danger of not putting up 50 if he plays a full season.

Here is a list of our top 6's WORST seasons playing at least 65 games:

EStaal 70 points

Jussi 46 points (this is why I don't put him on the third line)

Skinner 63 points (at 18 years old)

JStaal 49 points* (*ok his very first year in an all checking role he put up 42)

Semin 54 points (on a checking line on a check first team)

Ruutu 34 points (last year)

Note these are their worst years.

JStaal getting over 50 will be a lock. He put up 50 last year in 62 games.

Ruutu has put up >50 points 2/3 of the last 3 seasons he played over 65 games, and nearly put up 60 two years ago, but still based on the past 5-6 years history, he will be the most questionable. Personally I think he'll push 60 again, but that is fanboy speaking.

The thing is, if Ruutu faulters it will be tough, but if Tlusty maintains or improves his play from the end of the year, he can step right into that spot, and we're sill at 6 50 pointers.

I am optimistic, but it is for good reason!rayof.gif

Tripp Tracy ‏@TrippTracy - After a very successful summer, my guess is the Canes are looking around now to see if they can add forward who will provide Size-Toughness.

Rem, you're so optimistic and I love it! I usually try not to get too excited, for reasons mentioned by TSA, but this time is different. We look pretty darn good... For the first time in a while, I feel we can win the Southeast!

And I'm not just optimistic about this upcoming season, but for our future, as well. With young guys like Skinner, Rask and Murphy, and guys locked up like E.Staal, J.Staal, Ward.. We're about to win a lot of games, guys..

Curious, I wonder if E.Staal can get back to scoring 40 goals.

Edited by jeromeo87

I am a fan, and as such I am generally optimistic this time of year. I became a true fan in 06, and was very optimistic that offseason, (shows what i know). But last year was the first year that I really was not. I really hated the loss of Cole and this is what I wrote about that in last year's offseason thread:

There is a lot of risk in our forward line up. If JR is right and Stewart is about to really break out, and Poni rebounds, and Dalpe is ready, then we're good, possibly very good and good on a budget. But it is also very possible that does not happen and we suddenly find ourselves in a hole. With all those away games at the end of the year, even a trade for that guy at that point will likely not be enough in the end.

Add that to the disaster that was T.Kaberle (which I did not call).....

But what a difference a year makes!!! Just not having a Kaberle and not losing a Cole would be better.

But then adding JStaal and Semin? Either one of them would have made this the best offseason since 05. This is not only the best offseason I've seen as a Cane's fan, but it is best by a mile.

Edited by remkin

One big concern that I have this season is the streak factor. During the 06 season I seem to remember 3 streaks of 9 or more wins during that time. I don't think that we have even come close to that in any season since. If we can stop the yoyo effect( win a couple , lose a couple, win one , lose 2 ) we can take a shot at the playoffs and rebuild consistent fan support.

Regardless of the D, the O has the potential to make the games a whole lot of fun to watch.

Edited by wxray1

One big concern that I have this season is the streak factor. During the 06 season I seem to remember 3 streaks of 9 or more wins during that time. I don't think that we have even come close to that in any season since. If we can stop the yoyo effect( win a couple , lose a couple, win one , lose 2 ) we can take a shot at the playoffs and rebuild consistent fan support.

At this point, i'm not too concerned about the streaks. The past 3 yrs, we've gone on some really bad streaks and we never won more than 2 games in a row last year under mo. i don't see that happening despite our defensive flaws if the top guys put up points like they've been doing. it's automatically going to cut down our defensive zone time while improving the offense. i also don't see 12 going into a terrible slump with the additions made.

At this point, i'm not too concerned about the streaks. The past 3 yrs, we've gone on some really bad streaks and we never won more than 2 games in a row last year under mo. i don't see that happening despite our defensive flaws if the top guys put up points like they've been doing. it's automatically going to cut down our defensive zone time while improving the offense. i also don't see 12 going into a terrible slump with the additions made.

You make a good point at the end of this post. I'm willing to bet that Eric Staal is fired up. He knows how poorly he started last season, now he gets to play with his brother and has a scoring machine winger. He's ready to go and he's probably going to make a statement this season.

You make a good point at the end of this post. I'm willing to bet that Eric Staal is fired up. He knows how poorly he started last season, now he gets to play with his brother and has a scoring machine winger. He's ready to go and he's probably going to make a statement this season.

I think you put your finger on why this team could simply rock this year: We have a lot of guys who have statements to make:

EStaal: He can start strong and put up near 100 points again. He can be the guy of the end of last year. (Has his bro and a true first line winger to help).

JStaal: He can be a legitimate near elite point producer if given the chance to play with talented wingers in scoring situations.

Semin: He can return to form and light it up at near a ppg, and at the same time convince a team that he is not a cancer and worth a longer term deal.

Skinner: He is not a flash in the pan. He can be a more complete player and a more mature player.

Ruutu: 34 points. That is all.

Jussi : That he can return to 20+ goals to go with his playmaking. That he is NOT a third liner.

Tlusty: That he is a legit top 6 scorer and the last 27 games were just a prelude and not a fluke.

There are plenty of these on defense also, and Ward took a step back last year also.

This is a team full of guys with something to prove. That is very good.