The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Not the defense I'm worried about.... our size is what I'm worried about when clutch and grab becomes legal again.

I agree with this. I think we will add an enforcer, but beyond that.. it'll be tough to add size. Hopefully, they pick up someone for the blueline.

As for next offseason, Nathan Horton is a UFA.. He would look so nice playing next to either E.Staal or J.Staal.

Not sure if this was posted, but I'd be find with Murphy being on the club if he does this quite often:

Edited by Blinding

Not sure if this was posted, but I'd be find with Murphy being on the club if he does this quite often:

Came over to discuss Murphy. He looks sooooooo good. Looks like he's picking up where he left off tonight, as well. This guy needs to be with the big club next year.

You would think the least management could do for us is sign Jeremy Welsh so we could have something hockey to talk about. I wonder what the deal is?

Here's a little distraction for us in the offseason. ESPN is ranking the uniforms of all 122 professional sports teams (NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA). They're releasing a few each day, but the Canes come in at 91. Personally, I think we should be higher.

Uni Watch Power Rankings

Comment: "What's the deal with all these NHL teams that now have fake shoulder yokes? If you want a yoke, use a real one, like the Rangers or Devils -- don't just draw an outline to show where it would go. Aside from that, not such a terrible set."

I think we could have been rated higher. I like our jersey logo and trim except I have to agree with the "fake shoulder yokes" comment. I have never taken to them. I still wear our old sweater.

I think we could have been rated higher. I like our jersey logo and trim except I have to agree with the "fake shoulder yokes" comment. I have never taken to them. I still wear our old sweater.

Not as long as we have those tropical storm flags on our shoulders and third jersey...of course, the way we've started the season the past few years, it should be a tropical depression!

Well they didn't mention anything about the toilet bowl swirl so guess we are moving up haha

I always had the impression that anyone that genuinely thought our logo looked like a flushing toilet bowl was either simple minded or high on acid. I have never really gotten that impression from it at all. Its like the same people try to say Dallas' old Bull and Star logo looked like a uterus. Never saw it and it ultimately led to the downfall of a good logo.

The shoulder yokes are something I was never happy with when they were first introduced and Im still not happy with them after all these years. If they would leave them off our set would have been iconic. It felt like a change to simply to say "hey look, we did something for the EDGE jerseys." Thankfully they didnt decided to add the yokes to the Black alt.

I now think that the black alt is superior in every way to the home and road jerseys even with the Tropical Storm flags and all. I wouldnt mind one day in the future seeing a road jersey made up like our Alt and going with that set for a few years.

It felt like a change to simply to say "hey look, we did something for the EDGE jerseys."

No secret, but that was pretty much it. They had to do something to make sure all the "newest, latest" people bought in.

Saw on NHL.com today a little article about Gary Roberts summer training program. They talked with Stamkos and with Skinner. Jeff says he's put on 10 more pounds this summer and is up to 205 ... same weight as Eric Staal, except Eric is about 4 or 5 inches taller. If Skinner can keep the weight on (if we have a season), he will be a low center of gravity to try to move from in front of the net! Do I hear 30+ goals again?!?

Saw on NHL.com today a little article about Gary Roberts summer training program. They talked with Stamkos and with Skinner. Jeff says he's put on 10 more pounds this summer and is up to 205 ... same weight as Eric Staal, except Eric is about 4 or 5 inches taller. If Skinner can keep the weight on (if we have a season), he will be a low center of gravity to try to move from in front of the net! Do I hear 30+ goals again?!?

Glad to hear Skinner is serious about his conditioning and his added weight/muscle can only help. I wonder who Boychuck is training with. Pavel Brendl?

Skinner being Staal's weight seems wrong in some shape or fashion. Which way it's wrong though confuses me.

Is Skinner fat or Staal eating like a rabbit?

ErIc would look like Jordan Staal if he were Skinner's proportions.

You're right. Eric would be the size of Jordan. He's probably only 4 or 5% body fat ... ie: skinny. If memory serves me, Skinner's put on about 10 pounds each of the last two summers under the Roberts program. This year Jordan Staal is a take-away participant ... goes there for a week to learn the regimen and diet, then goes home to continue using it.

You're right. Eric would be the size of Jordan. He's probably only 4 or 5% body fat ... ie: skinny. If memory serves me, Skinner's put on about 10 pounds each of the last two summers under the Roberts program. This year Jordan Staal is a take-away participant ... goes there for a week to learn the regimen and diet, then goes home to continue using it.

This is the 2nd off season Staal is participating in the program. Wish his big bro would consider it.

This is the 2nd off season Staal is participating in the program. Wish his big bro would consider it.

Do I hear 30+ goals again?!?

Take that to the bank. Third years are often breakout years for young superstars. This will be Skinner's breakout year. Thirty is the baseline.

Adding strength to that skill will make him that much better. It also let's us know he's not satisfied. Skinner is going to be an offensive monster this year.

Edited by remkin

Hey all, as some of you guys have alluded to, if there ever was a time to acquire a serious enforcer, this is it. We can't rely on Harrison and Gleason to protect our stable this year. If we don't get a serious threat out there, when we start racking up the goals, other teams are going to take pot shots at our guys. With our fire power, you know when you are 3-4 goals up things can get ugly.

"Grit?" Okay fine, but I'd rather have a serious bad@ss out there this year. Thanks...

Edited by Sidney_Fisher

good point sidney... We need a tough guy, maybe Stewert, if he stops doing the bump with Cam>?

Sounds like Mark Recchi. Perhaps Skinner thinks the only guy who will stand up for him is himself... it's hard to cheap-shot a brick wall.

Not related but that imagery reminds me of a hit some guy tried to put on Rod Brind'Amour in 2007. The guy skated up from behind and rammed into Rod's back/hip, then went sprawling off screen. Rod doesn't even break stride, skates for another ten feet or so and then looks over his shoulder like 'Huh. What was that?' The dude was a tank... man I miss Brindy.