The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

CanesNow - Chip Alexander

The Canes took to the ice today for the first full informal skate at Raleigh Center Ice and the Staals -- of the Carolina variety -- were all in attendance. Eric Staal, the Canes captain, and Jared Staal joined Jordan for about 50 minutes of skating.

The turnout at RCI was pretty impressive.

Good to hear so many Canes showed.

CanesNow - Chip Alexander

Good to hear so many Canes showed.

Normally this would excite me. For obvious reasons it does not. They aint gonna play anytime soon. The clock is ticking down and they aren't even talking. Yes I got a bad attitude and i don't care.

As for Skinner putting on 10 more lbs......heck yeah, Maybe he won't get banged around like a skinny little teenager anymore.

Normally this would excite me. For obvious reasons it does not. They aint gonna play anytime soon. The clock is ticking down and they aren't even talking. Yes I got a bad attitude and i don't care.

As for Skinner putting on 10 more lbs......heck yeah, Maybe he won't get banged around like a skinny little teenager anymore.

My mood isn't any better. But hockey is hockey so I'm just happy some of the team is back in Raleigh and skating. I also like that Skinner has put on ten pounds. I also smiled when I read A. Steward had shed 10 lbs. maybe he is going to show up ready to play this season (ok if there is a season)

My mood isn't any better. But hockey is hockey so I'm just happy some of the team is back in Raleigh and skating. I also like that Skinner has put on ten pounds. I also smiled when I read A. Steward had shed 10 lbs. maybe he is going to show up ready to play this season (ok if there is a season)

At 5'11", 205 lbs, that makes Skinner about the size of Ruutu (6'0", 205 lbs). Since Jeff is a member of Gary Roberts' conditioning program, you have to assume that extra weight is all lean muscle too!! As for Stewart, his concerns are more between the ears than physical; but maybe losing 10 pounds will make him a step or two quicker ... for no season, uhg!

Just thinking, maybe Ryan Murphy at 5'11", 176 lbs should sign-up for the Gary Roberts program to gain some muscular weight, like Skinner. 176 is really slight for an NHL d-man (IMO should be about 200+ like Faulk). Maybe with his offensive skills, they will look at making him a forward (a la Scott Walker and dare I say Joslin).

Just thinking, maybe Ryan Murphy at 5'11", 176 lbs should sign-up for the Gary Roberts program to gain some muscular weight, like Skinner. 176 is really slight for an NHL d-man (IMO should be about 200+ like Faulk). Maybe with his offensive skills, they will look at making him a forward (a la Scott Walker and dare I say Joslin).

Wow, I didn't realize Murphy was still that small. He will not be making the team at the weight. I think 176 is unheard of in the NHL unless anyone can prove me otherwise. thats kind of a bummer i was hopin he was workin his tail off to play with the big boys but he will be slammed around like a pinball and end up with a concussion, Just ask Jeff, at 190 he was banged around like a teenager playing with men.

Just in case some of you missed it: Skinner did again attend Camp Biosteel with Gary Roberts this summer. But so did Anthony Stewart and Jay Harrison. And Stewart and Harrison seem to be showing immediate benefits. Harrison looks much faster. I know it's only informal team skates, but Harrison seems to have picked up some speed.

It would have been nice to see Semin here in Raleigh, skating and bonding with his new teammates. But I guess he's not coming till news breaks about the CBA. Ruutu and Jokinen are also not here, which is not unusual though. Pitkanen is skating, first player on the ice today!

As the boys are continuing to roll into town, I am wondering if there is a list somewhere of which ones are on twitter. I have a memory of seeing one once but couldn't find it today when I looked around.

As the boys are continuing to roll into town, I am wondering if there is a list somewhere of which ones are on twitter. I have a memory of seeing one once but couldn't find it today when I looked around.

Canes page with facebook and twitter links HERE

It looks like many of our players came to Raleigh ready to show Muller what they can do. Lets hope they get a chance. Nice signing for Dwyer. 2 year deal. I think Dwyer is an important part of the team and a good PK'er.

Wow, I didn't realize Murphy was still that small. He will not be making the team at the weight. I think 176 is unheard of in the NHL unless anyone can prove me otherwise. thats kind of a bummer i was hopin he was workin his tail off to play with the big boys but he will be slammed around like a pinball and end up with a concussion, Just ask Jeff, at 190 he was banged around like a teenager playing with men.

Danimal, don't forget Erik Karlsson is listed as 6'0 and 180, and we see what he did last season with similar offensive skills as Murphy. ;)

Of course, some addled muscle and weight would be a good thing.

Glad to see JR still going after Welsh.

I can't be the anyone that thinks we need to dispose of Boychuk, can I? It appears to me that he has no future in this organization and it'd be nice to get a return on him while we still can, preferably by including him and whomever else in a bigger trade for that gritty, stay at home D-man we need.

With Welsh now signed to a 2 year deal we have all our roster players signed.I expect if we are to add another D-man or that tough 4th liner it will come later through a trade. I suppose there might be a FA or two still hanging around we could sign. But I guess we are done for now.

With Welsh now signed to a 2 year deal we have all our roster players signed.I expect if we are to add another D-man or that tough 4th liner it will come later through a trade. I suppose there might be a FA or two still hanging around we could sign. But I guess we are done for now.

Not too sure about that if a CBA deal can get done and how the pre-season goes. If Dalpe or Bowman can make a case to stay, we will need to move one of Nodl, Dwyer, LaRose or Stewart.

On the D-Side, what if Sanguinetti and Murphy make a strong case to stay? Murphy back to the junior ranks will do zip for his development and if Sanguinetti is ready, he should get a shot either with us or another team...

I think deals are still out there to be make before the first game.

Not too sure about that if a CBA deal can get done and how the pre-season goes. If Dalpe or Bowman can make a case to stay, we will need to move one of Nodl, Dwyer, LaRose or Stewart.

On the D-Side, what if Sanguinetti and Murphy make a strong case to stay? Murphy back to the junior ranks will do zip for his development and if Sanguinetti is ready, he should get a shot either with us or another team...

I think deals are still out there to be make before the first game.

That is why I said if we are to add but your point is well taken. I'm sure there are some deals out there before the season starts. IT is nice to have a training camp roster that includes players like Dalpe, Bowman, Sangs and Murphy to push the envelope. I agree that Murphy returning to the OHL would be a waste. I think JR said the team might carry a 7th and maybe an 8th roster player this season.

I think if we move a player of the four you mention Dwyer and LaRose stay. The team is to high on Dwyer and LaRose isn't going anywhere IMO.

Do you think Welsh is as good as JR seems to think he is?

It's all coming together. We now have one of the best top 6 forward combos around. Our bottom 6 has all kinds of nice options. We have new owners. Signed everybody, Dywer, even Walsh. OK might need to tweak the defense, but, Semin, JSTaal, Skinner busts out, EStaal has help and gets at it from the opening gun, Jussi gets it back, Ruutu flying around, Tlusty shows up with confidence, Cam gets his form back... the Canes need this season to happen as much as any team around.

Let's get this thing going!

Didn't see a thread for this but I am just shocked at our home schedule this year. pretty much no friday/saturday night games! Wow, that hurts, the last two years there was a home game on a friday or saturday almost every weekend it seemed like or at least 2 0r 3 weekends a month. I guess thats what teams who finish at the bottom get. Thats really not good for business that all our home games are on weeknights(ok i know there are a few weekends but not more than a few). Horrible schedule.

Didn't see a thread for this but I am just shocked at our home schedule this year. pretty much no friday/saturday night games! Wow, that hurts, the last two years there was a home game on a friday or saturday almost every weekend it seemed like or at least 2 0r 3 weekends a month. I guess thats what teams who finish at the bottom get. Thats really not good for business that all our home games are on weeknights(ok i know there are a few weekends but not more than a few). Horrible schedule.

Huh? Of the 41 home games, 20 are on weekends (Friday-Saturday-Sunday) and 21 are during the week (Monday-Thursday). So, basically half and half. That's pretty much the way it has panned out since I've been a STH. :)

Do you think Welsh is as good as JR seems to think he is?

I hope so and think he will be certainly good enough to play the 4th line for starters. Brent is good enough to play some 3rd line minutes if we need him at the beginning of the year although I like Welsh's size and range better for the long term.

Huh? Of the 41 home games, 20 are on weekends (Friday-Saturday-Sunday) and 21 are during the week (Monday-Thursday). So, basically half and half. That's pretty much the way it has panned out since I've been a STH. :)

\

WEll I was talking bout fri/sat nights. there is--- 1 in oct.,1 in nov., 2 dec.,2 january. I just feel like there is ususally alot more fri and sat nights than that. Between the start of the season and Xmas there are three, just seems low.

I hope so and think he will be certainly good enough to play the 4th line for starters. Brent is good enough to play some 3rd line minutes if we need him at the beginning of the year although I like Welsh's size and range better for the long term.

It was said he can play left wing too. I don't expect him to but if we make a few moves it would be an option.

\

WEll I was talking bout fri/sat nights. there is--- 1 in oct.,1 in nov., 2 dec.,2 january. I just feel like there is ususally alot more fri and sat nights than that. Between the start of the season and Xmas there are three, just seems low.

Okay, sorry. Last season there were 17 Fri-Sat night home games. This year there are 16. It's about what we see every year.

Guess how many the Rangers had?

Edited by coastal_caniac

I kind of like those Sunday early games, seems like a lot more of those this year. Overall the spacing the weekend games (including Sundays) the back to backs the back loaded home games all look good. Just one more reason to have this dang season in it's entirety.

I don't care if there are no weekend games, I'll be happy to have the late weekday nights just to go to hockey games this season...................... :pray:

Edited by hockeybaby